Gunter - did Stam make him shit?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gunter - did Stam make him shit?

by karbota » 01 Dec 2019 18:52

NewCorkSeth
2 world wars, 1 world cup Quick Q, because I've never got to the bottom of this in my head. Great player for us for years, did well for Wales too, only for Stamball to happen and all of a sudden he turned shite presumably carrying out Stam's "just pass it back" orders a little too well. Now Stamball has gone can we have our old Gunter back?

I would argue he was never a "great" player for us. His biggest assets are his consistency and his athleticism. He suffers greatly at the most important defensive duties and always has (imo).

He is always a step too far away from his man, his tackling is often poor, he is not great in the air and cant close down well.

Attacking wise he is fine. Good crossing and fast to move up and down. If his range of passing was a little better he would be a great Wing Back at this level.

Stamball neither improved him nor made him worse. His weaknesses were always there and Stamball just highlighted them. He in no way regressed.

But thats all in the past, against Brentford he was a class above.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 01 Dec 2019 18:56

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
2 world wars, 1 world cup Quick Q, because I've never got to the bottom of this in my head. Great player for us for years, did well for Wales too, only for Stamball to happen and all of a sudden he turned shite presumably carrying out Stam's "just pass it back" orders a little too well. Now Stamball has gone can we have our old Gunter back?

I would argue he was never a "great" player for us. His biggest assets are his consistency and his athleticism. He suffers greatly at the most important defensive duties and always has (imo).

He is always a step too far away from his man, his tackling is often poor, he is not great in the air and cant close down well.

Attacking wise he is fine. Good crossing and fast to move up and down. If his range of passing was a little better he would be a great Wing Back at this level.

Stamball neither improved him nor made him worse. His weaknesses were always there and Stamball just highlighted them. He in no way regressed.

This. Gunter has always been over cautious and safe. He always stands off and he always plays the low risk pass. Whether that is the hopeful ball down the line for McCleary to chase, a hopeful cross to no one in particular or the control back inside and pass to CB.

Stam's style exacerbated and emphasised everything wrong with Gunter's game.

He's never been anything more than a lower mid-table starting full back. Sometimes surrounded by top half players, sometimes by relegation fodder.

He's the perfect back up RB who can slot in as required for 1 - 6 games and do adequately. You know he's professional, you know he's fit and you know with decent players around him you'll get 6/10.

He's never been good enough to be first choice for a team with genuine top 6 aspirations.

But Stam long gone you tosser, get out, and watch the games live, Gunter was the king v Brentford.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Dec 2019 18:58

karbota
NewCorkSeth

No he wasnt.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Dec 2019 19:39

NewCorkSeth
karbota
NewCorkSeth I would argue he was never a "great" player for us. His biggest assets are his consistency and his athleticism. He suffers greatly at the most important defensive duties and always has (imo).

No he wasnt.

Don’t feed the troll