Gunter - did Stam make him shit?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Gunter - did Stam make him shit?

by sandman » 29 Nov 2019 08:48

karbota After that performance I think Gunter should now be the number one. Yiadoms turn to sit on the bench.

Well there's a ringing endorsement for Yiadom to start if ever there was one.
Last edited by sandman on 29 Nov 2019 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Nov 2019 08:49

Hendo
Lower West Rather than say one is better than the other. Having both gives Gowen options depending on who the opposition is.

Plus Howe isn't far away either, I don't think.

you've seen Howe play? What is he like? Is he similar to Yiadom in terms of attacking prowess or is he more of a slow and steady type like Gunter?

What are Howe's main strengths and weaknesses?

Do you know his stats for the under 23's?

Would he benefit from a loan to League 1 or 2?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2019 08:54

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Lower West Rather than say one is better than the other. Having both gives Gowen options depending on who the opposition is.

Plus Howe isn't far away either, I don't think.

you've seen Howe play? What is he like? Is he similar to Yiadom in terms of attacking prowess or is he more of a slow and steady type like Gunter?

What are Howe's main strengths and weaknesses?

Do you know his stats for the under 23's?

Would he benefit from a loan to League 1 or 2?

Haven't seen him enough to comment on strengths or weaknesses, but seeing as he made his debut last season, played in 2 league cup games this season and has been on the bench a couple of times for league games, I think it would be safe to assume that he isn't too far away from the first team.

I would also suggest that if we had been playing someone in the bottom half of the table on Tuesday, he may well have played instead of Gunter.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2019 09:56

2 world wars, 1 world cup Quick Q, because I've never got to the bottom of this in my head. Great player for us for years, did well for Wales too, only for Stamball to happen and all of a sudden he turned shite presumably carrying out Stam's "just pass it back" orders a little too well. Now Stamball has gone can we have our old Gunter back?

I would argue he was never a "great" player for us. His biggest assets are his consistency and his athleticism. He suffers greatly at the most important defensive duties and always has (imo).

He is always a step too far away from his man, his tackling is often poor, he is not great in the air and cant close down well.

Attacking wise he is fine. Good crossing and fast to move up and down. If his range of passing was a little better he would be a great Wing Back at this level.

Stamball neither improved him nor made him worse. His weaknesses were always there and Stamball just highlighted them. He in no way regressed.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Nov 2019 11:31

karbota After that performance I think Gunter should now be the number one. Yiadoms turn to sit on the bench.

Nope. Can see why he might be started ahead of Richards, but not Yids.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Nov 2019 12:54

can we not call him that please?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2019 13:00

NewCorkSeth
2 world wars, 1 world cup Quick Q, because I've never got to the bottom of this in my head. Great player for us for years, did well for Wales too, only for Stamball to happen and all of a sudden he turned shite presumably carrying out Stam's "just pass it back" orders a little too well. Now Stamball has gone can we have our old Gunter back?

I would argue he was never a "great" player for us. His biggest assets are his consistency and his athleticism. He suffers greatly at the most important defensive duties and always has (imo).

He is always a step too far away from his man, his tackling is often poor, he is not great in the air and cant close down well.

Attacking wise he is fine. Good crossing and fast to move up and down. If his range of passing was a little better he would be a great Wing Back at this level.

Stamball neither improved him nor made him worse. His weaknesses were always there and Stamball just highlighted them. He in no way regressed.

This. Gunter has always been over cautious and safe. He always stands off and he always plays the low risk pass. Whether that is the hopeful ball down the line for McCleary to chase, a hopeful cross to no one in particular or the control back inside and pass to CB.

Stam's style exacerbated and emphasised everything wrong with Gunter's game.

He's never been anything more than a lower mid-table starting full back. Sometimes surrounded by top half players, sometimes by relegation fodder.

He's the perfect back up RB who can slot in as required for 1 - 6 games and do adequately. You know he's professional, you know he's fit and you know with decent players around him you'll get 6/10.

He's never been good enough to be first choice for a team with genuine top 6 aspirations.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 14:43

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth

This. Gunter has always been over cautious and safe. He always stands off and he always plays the low risk pass. Whether that is the hopeful ball down the line for McCleary to chase, a hopeful cross to no one in particular or the control back inside and pass to CB.

He's never been anything more than a lower mid-table starting full back. Sometimes surrounded by top half players, sometimes by relegation fodder.

He's the perfect back up RB who can slot in as required for 1 - 6 games and do adequately. You know he's professional, you know he's fit and you know with decent players around him you'll get 6/10.

He's never been good enough to be first choice for a team with genuine top 6 aspirations.

I can’t agree with your last statement, I don’t think he is anymore but his first Championship season, he was perfectly adequate as a playoff aspiration team RB, hence why he came 2nd in POTS that season when we came 1 goal off 6th

It seemed that he regressed between the 13/14 season and 14/15 season

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2019 15:34

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth I would argue he was never a "great" player for us. His biggest assets are his consistency and his athleticism. He suffers greatly at the most important defensive duties and always has (imo).

I can’t agree with your last statement, I don’t think he is anymore but his first Championship season, he was perfectly adequate as a playoff aspiration team RB, hence why he came 2nd in POTS that season when we came 1 goal off 6th

2nd in PotS that year was a travesty, loads better than him.

I'm just a visionary years ahead of my time and peers. :wink:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Nov 2019 18:36

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal This. Gunter has always been over cautious and safe. He always stands off and he always plays the low risk pass. Whether that is the hopeful ball down the line for McCleary to chase, a hopeful cross to no one in particular or the control back inside and pass to CB.

I'm with you till the end.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Nov 2019 19:13

leon can we not call him that please?

literally never thought about it till now :o. Won't do it again

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Nov 2019 19:19

He is capable of great things, but he is....well.....just a boring and cautious right back.
Having said that Hazard and De Bryne and the rest of the Belgians who were world number 1 ranked and indeed targeting his side in 3 games never got passed him. Scored just once and that was a long range effort. He clearly has somthing, just hard to put my finger on it.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Nov 2019 19:48

Ascotexgunner He is capable of great things, but he is....well.....just a boring and cautious right back.
Having said that Hazard and De Bryne and the rest of the Belgians who were world number 1 ranked and indeed targeting his side in 3 games never got passed him. Scored just once and that was a long range effort. He clearly has somthing, just hard to put my finger on it.

I think at some point somebody has told him - leave the centre-backs deal with the crosses, your job is to stop the winger cutting in. And that's definitely what he does - he'll block a cross if he can, but he mostly focusses on stopping wingers getting inside him - that's why he backs off so much. So the kind of wingers that like to cut inside would probably find him a pain to play against - the kind that cross, not so much!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2019 20:41

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I'm with you till the end.

Where's the kiss emoji.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2019 20:58

Forest fans rated Gunter as an attacking full back.
We saw in our final home game last season how good he can be as attacking full back

He has never let Wales down against top international sides.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 21:59

Zip Forest fans rated Gunter as an attacking full back.
We saw in our final home game last season how good he can be as attacking full back

I remember watching his cross for Vokes’ goal against Belgium and wondering why he doesn’t do that for us

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Nov 2019 22:02

URZZZZ

I remember watching his cross for Vokes’ goal against Belgium and wondering why he doesn’t do that for us

One of my favourite goals. A towering header from Vokes from a fine Gunter cross.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Nov 2019 23:31

URZZZZ

Ha, I can remember thinking - none of our strikers would have got to that ball!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Nov 2019 23:44

muirinho
URZZZZ

Ha, I can remember thinking - none of our strikers would have got to that ball!

True :lol:

In general, we must be one of the lowest scoring teams from crosses, Morrison is helping that to an extent I suppose

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Nov 2019 01:30

Gunter has been past his sell-by date for a while. He does a job but rarely would you take a second look at his performance as being a 'blinder'

Yiadom offers much more going forward and seems to be doing so with consistency!