BFTG Wigan

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Wigan

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Dec 2019 11:20

Maybe I'm looking at it through Reading Tinted Spectacles and the camera angle isn't great but whilst it is the ball striking his hand, his hand is about a foot away from his body and he paddles it out of play. Under the new interpretation, it's a clear handball and 5 Reading players immediately and quite vehemently appeal for the handball.

This isn't a half hearted appeal, this is a Peter Shilton and Terry Fenwick going full blown mental at the ref in 86 appeal.

Looking at the Wigan forums, they're more concerned with Cook's substitutions and the fact that they are repeatedly conceding late goals. Maybe he should look a bit closer to home because there was some shocking lack of awareness and a complete lack of fight in the build up to the 2nd and 3rd goals.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 02 Dec 2019 11:25, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Dec 2019 11:24

If Cook was blaming the ref for that defeat, it shows how desperate he is.

It was a clear handball and a clear foul simultaneously. Could and should have been given for either/both

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Dec 2019 11:29

And if Cook is moaning about the quality of player on our bench then maybe he should be reminded that he manages a club that stayed in the Premiership for nigh on 10 years and won an FA Cup on the strength of buying England internationals on crowds of 11,000 in the Premiership.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Dec 2019 11:43

urgh, was looking for the Cook quotes and came across this from their local journo:

But one of the worst penalty decisions in living memory - the worst since Dan Burn was penalised for a clean tackle *outside* the box three seasons ago - turned the game on its head

Genuine wtf to that

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Dec 2019 11:43

Hound urgh, was looking for the Cook quotes and came across this from their local journo:

But one of the worst penalty decisions in living memory - the worst since Dan Burn was penalised for a clean tackle *outside* the box three seasons ago - turned the game on its head

Genuine wtf to that

Whatever makes them feel better.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Dec 2019 11:45

Hound urgh, was looking for the Cook quotes and came across this from their local journo:

Genuine wtf to that

I don’t think it’s the stick on that you and others are saying but it’s certainly no where near the extent to which they’re groaning about either. Weird people

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 02 Dec 2019 12:03

Old Man Andrews That is a confirmed DD back up account BTW folks

Sorry who is DD?.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Dec 2019 12:30

Someone you aspire to be.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Dec 2019 12:34

Lower West
URZZZZ
There are advantages to watching it at home, there are advantages to watching it from the stadium

In the stadium easier to see what players aren't doing.........

Which is why there are advantages and disadvantages

Live is absolutely more fun, and it's better for off the ball and shape.
Screen is easier and better for individual incidents, on the ball and replays.

All you need to know about Bristol Paul is that he dismissed my view without reading it because he assumed I hadn't attended. It speaks volumes about him tbh.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Dec 2019 13:03

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
URZZZZ
There are advantages to watching it at home, there are advantages to watching it from the stadium

All you need to know about Bristol Paul is that he dismissed my view without reading it because he assumed I hadn't attended. It speaks volumes about him tbh.

Or if you are near blind, like me, the stadium offers 0 optical advantages. I really struggled with the shape vs Brentford because of the camera angle in their stadium.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Dec 2019 13:08

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

Or if you are near blind, like me, the stadium offers 0 optical advantages. I really struggled with the shape vs Brentford because of the camera angle in their stadium.

I struggle telling players apart at the stadium sometimes. I can't read the names, struggle with the numbers so I'm going on rough position, hair, skin colour, gait and body shape mostly.

Also depends where you sit, end on and you've got piss all idea what's really happening at the other end.

Much easier on screen.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Dec 2019 13:18

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Which is why there are advantages and disadvantages

I struggle telling players apart at the stadium sometimes. I can't read the names, struggle with the numbers so I'm going on rough position, hair, skin colour, gait and body shape mostly.

Also depends where you sit, end on and you've got piss all idea what's really happening at the other end.

Much easier on screen.

Similar to what Pepe does but he judges solely on how juicy their asses are. Impressive really.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 02 Dec 2019 13:26

From Despair To Where? Someone you aspire to be.

Search results show zero members, zero posts with that user name?.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Dec 2019 13:28

karbota

Think it was short for Double-ended Dildo. Try that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Dec 2019 13:28

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Or if you are near blind, like me, the stadium offers 0 optical advantages. I really struggled with the shape vs Brentford because of the camera angle in their stadium.

Much easier on screen.

Similar to what Pepe does but he judges solely on how juicy their asses are. Impressive really.

:lol: he's got a talent.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Dec 2019 15:12

karbota

So a complete nobody then.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 02 Dec 2019 16:52

Unreal, happy to admit i was shouting we would never score all day thus when we went 1-0 down it meant a loss and a wasted journey.

Great away day, all 30 of us, I can see us winning the next 6.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Dec 2019 17:33

NewCorkSeth
RoyalBlue
From Despair To Where? Half our team immediately appealed for handball.

Don't think the defender got the ball after he handled it. He wiped Boye out as the ball rolled out of play untouched. Under the current interpretation of handball, it was a clear penalty which is where the EFL pundits get confused because they don't understand the current interpretation.

Yep, the Sky Sports reporter interviewing Cook after the game was bleating on about the fact that it shouldn't have been a penalty because the defender was so close to Boye when the ball hit his hand. That's totally unacceptable from someone who is paid to do a professional job. The lazy sod clearly hasn't even bothered to read the new laws and guidance. They clearly state distance is no longer a factor to take into account.
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

I'm a bit rusty but I think they are arguing his hand was in a natural position down by his side which the new law stipulates to be acceptable (I dont know why it is as context is important) but I still think it's a pen. Not even a pen I would be argue shouldnt be given if it was the other way around.

No, I thought they might be arguing that too, so I listened to the interview again. The reporter clearly says 'he was too close for it to be given as a penalty' - no reference at all to the arm/hand being tucked into the body or not away from the body. Furthermore, even if that had been their argument, we have already seen numerous handballs awarded across the leagues when a player's hand/arm has been similarly positioned. I don't like the new laws (and I think it ludicrous that the twat Elleray still states that their intent was to avoid defenders having to defend with their hands behind their backs when it's had the complete opposite effect) but under those laws it was a clear penalty. And if the ref hadn't awarded it for that, he would still have been justified in awarding it for the defender wiping out Boye immediately after the ball touched his hand!

From Despair To Where? And if Cook is moaning about the quality of player on our bench then maybe he should be reminded that he manages a club that stayed in the Premiership for nigh on 10 years and won an FA Cup on the strength of buying England internationals on crowds of 11,000 in the Premiership.

Conversely, full credit to our owners for managing to sort things to the extent that we can have a squad with a depth of really high quality players that is the envy of other managers in our league.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Dec 2019 18:22

It also bugs me about the bleating about our "£14m" strikeforce and all the money we've spent when the up front fees were less than £3m combined for Joao and Puscas and our nett spend was about £1m.

Yeah, we brought in 10 players but of the other 8, 5 were on loan and 3 were free transfers.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Dec 2019 21:09

From Despair To Where? And if Cook is moaning about the quality of player on our bench then maybe he should be reminded that he manages a club that stayed in the Premiership for nigh on 10 years and won an FA Cup on the strength of buying England internationals on crowds of 11,000 in the Premiership.

In fairness, those England internationals were Chris Kirkland and Emile Heskey.