FA Cup away day memories

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: FA Cup away day memories

by LUX » 04 Dec 2019 13:10

League Cup away day memories.

Brief for me.

1977 we had beaten Watford 2-1 in the home leg, first round. I went in a friend's dad's car to the away leg, lost 0-1, and then to the replay five days later, lost 5-0.

From memory, we were the only away fans in the ground both times, or so it seemed. Anyone on here went?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 04 Dec 2019 13:54

Victor Meldrew
Fox Talbot
Mid Sussex Royal
Did you go? Believe we got a draw and won the replay 6-1...and set up a 4th round tie with Arsenal who were double winnners then, Charlie George and co

I was there. Epic journey. Train left about 5am. Awash with beer by Newcastle where we get into can throwing fight with Hereford fans. Alighted further north (!) at a place called Cramlington, two coaches at a time. Put on motor coaches for Blyth which didn’t have a station or much else.

KO 2.15pm I think because of dispute over their floodlights. Atmosphere hostile but not violent. Their grandstand had burnt down so no seats anywhere. Players changed in public park over the road I think. Terraces made of coal dust. Ground packed. Their mascot, gnarled old geezer playing the Kingsley role, thrown out by the police.

We’re winning easy as the light fades. 2-0. Floodlights not allowed! Near the end they get one back then another in last minute darkness, direct from a corner, Death didn’t see it IIRC, kitchen sink, mad Geordie passion everywhere, we just hang for draw and replay. Repeat long journey home in reverse arriving god knows what time. Magic of the the cup.

Replay a quite different story.

Was the replay on a weekday afternoon because of the electricity strikes?

Great away day tale.

Yes, an afternoon kick off, but still attracted a crowd of 10,500+. My mum allowed me to skive off school to watch. Actual crowd may have been bigger as the gates at the Town End on Norfolk Road were pushed open and a fair few got in.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Dec 2019 14:40

Fox Talbot
Mid Sussex Royal
Fox Talbot BLYTH - the longest day (and a half!).

Did you go? Believe we got a draw and won the replay 6-1...and set up a 4th round tie with Arsenal who were double winnners then, Charlie George and co

I was there. Epic journey. Train left about 5am. Awash with beer by Newcastle where we get into can throwing fight with Hereford fans. Alighted further north (!) at a place called Cramlington, two coaches at a time. Put on motor coaches for Blyth which didn’t have a station or much else.

KO 2.15pm I think because of dispute over their floodlights. Atmosphere hostile but not violent. Their grandstand had burnt down so no seats anywhere. Players changed in public park over the road I think. Terraces made of coal dust. Ground packed. Their mascot, gnarled old geezer playing the Kingsley role, thrown out by the police.

We’re winning easy as the light fades. 2-0. Floodlights not allowed! Near the end they get one back then another in last minute darkness, direct from a corner, Death didn’t see it IIRC, kitchen sink, mad Geordie passion everywhere, we just hang for draw and replay. Repeat long journey home in reverse arriving god knows what time. Magic of the the cup.

Replay a quite different story.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 Dec 2019 18:28

LUX League Cup away day memories.

Brief for me.

1977 we had beaten Watford 2-1 in the home leg, first round. I went in a friend's dad's car to the away leg, lost 0-1, and then to the replay five days later, lost 5-0.

From memory, we were the only away fans in the ground both times, or so it seemed. Anyone on here went?

Was there for both. IIRC we lost first leg 2-1 at Watford, won the second 1-0 and then lost the decider 5-0 after it being 0-0 at half time

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 Dec 2019 18:28

stealthpapes
Schards#2
LUX I did two Cup away days with the supporters club in the 70's.

Wealdstone has already been reported on in extenso. Got beat 2-1, George Duck scored 2 for them. We all ran back to the coaches because Aldershot had about 20 hooligans there to attack us. "Run, they're coming". True story.

Hereford away 1976 (?), they were two divisions above us. Glamour tie for us. We had a supporters club train. Didn't have a shot all game iirc, we lost 1-0. Trouble in their end at half time, apparently Black Russian (Reading/Chelsea's finest) had got in there.

In other "running back" news, Swansea away circa 1983(?)

Special train, hammered 4-1, chased all the way back to the station, bricks thrown at the train as it left the station.

Happy days

Hi Schards

see you in AE next Friday, right?

Hoping for an all dayer Friday

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 05 Dec 2019 12:39

Victor Meldrew Was the replay on a weekday afternoon because of the electricity strikes?

Indeed, it was. Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. I went to school along Tilehurst Road and instead of walking to Prospect Park for school footy, I sneaked into the Tilehurst End.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 05 Dec 2019 13:19

1999 v Plymouth FA Cup replay on a very cold Tuesday night 4 days before Christmas
Lost 1.0 and then had to wait for the first train back to Reading which was about 5 in the morning

Basildon

by Basildon » 05 Dec 2019 13:43

Bradford away, 2015.

6am get up. 4 hour drive. 0-0. 4 hour drive back.

Great day.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Dec 2019 14:03

Has anyone mentioned the 4-0 defeat at Swindon in the late 70'/early 80's ?

Cold, wet, lost, seriously concerned outside the ground afterwards.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 05 Dec 2019 14:20

Losing 2-1 away at a then non-League Colchester United; their ground miles from the station, and it rained.

Not the happiest of FA Cup memories....

I went to the York game mentioned earlier; the only decent thing were the pies - top quality and great vfm!

:D :D

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 Dec 2019 15:09

I remember a 1-1 draw away at City and our support was just epic. We filled the away end made so much noise I remember Stuart Hall(what ever happened to him?) talking about it in his match report on sports report. We lost the replay 4-0 at EP :(

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 Dec 2019 15:36

I have just remembered an game away to Bournemouth in the first round. In the pre play off days in the early 80's losing 1-0 and that was it not even half way through the season and it was over nothing left to play for. Wet cold pissed off making my way back to the station on my own. got set upon by some thugs they broke my glasses nicked my wallet left me with bruised ribs blood pouring out my lip the only saving grace was my return ticket wasn't in my wallet. Ever since then I have hated Bournemouth. You won't here me singing there praises of the small club doing so well in the Prem. I wanted them to fold up go bankrupt and vanish of the face of the earth.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Dec 2019 17:46

I remember seeing us getting tonked 4-1 at Villa Park around 1987 ish. I think Senior scored for us but can’t be certain.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Dec 2019 18:32

Sutekh Barry away in 1985 was a bit special

Good grief , didn't think anyone would remember that. The real bad old days back then to be an away fan.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Dec 2019 19:14

Zip I remember seeing us getting tonked 4-1 at Villa Park around 1987 ish. I think Senior scored for us but can’t be certain.

Yes, League Cup in 86. My first visit to Villa Park and my favourite away ground. Only thing I remember of the game was how vast the Holte End terrace was.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Dec 2019 19:35

Ark Royal
Zip I remember seeing us getting tonked 4-1 at Villa Park around 1987 ish. I think Senior scored for us but can’t be certain.

Yes, League Cup in 86. My first visit to Villa Park and my favourite away ground. Only thing I remember of the game was how vast the Holte End terrace was.

Yep. Smashing ground tbf. I was there the night Klinsmann got cleaned out by Bosnich. I think that was also the night of Cantona’s kung fu kick.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 05 Dec 2019 21:10

Ark Royal Man City in 93. 1-1 and deserved the replay. Another step in McGhee's revolution.

Yes remember that game did James Lambert score first .

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 05 Dec 2019 21:12

Stranded Slough in 1991 - remember the PA announcer asking the Reading fans to stop jumping up and down as the wall at the front of the terrace was (and did) collapse. Was a bit of a conspiracy theory going around at the time, that the club had thrown the game to allow Slough a money-spinning replay - though only 6.5k turned up as it was an all ticket game.

Yes 3v1 up they got two goals in injury time .

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Dec 2019 21:27

Henley Royal 1
Ark Royal Man City in 93. 1-1 and deserved the replay. Another step in McGhee's revolution.

Yes remember that game did James Lambert score first .

I was there and as usual around that time well lubricated, I seem to remember it was a Scotty Taylor goal from distance? The crowd was only about 11,000, City fans were boycotting to try and get Swales out at the time.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 05 Dec 2019 21:38

Franchise FC Has anyone mentioned the 4-0 defeat at Swindon in the late 70'/early 80's ?

Cold, wet, lost, seriously concerned outside the ground afterwards.

1974. All I can remember is Robin Friday looking like he was dying of asthma attack / hangover on the halfway line. Totally gubbed but they were a division higher.