FA Cup away day memories

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: FA Cup away day memories

by Fox Talbot » 05 Dec 2019 22:04

Green
Fox Talbot
Mid Sussex Royal
Did you go? Believe we got a draw and won the replay 6-1...and set up a 4th round tie with Arsenal who were double winnners then, Charlie George and co

I was there. Epic journey. Train left about 5am. Awash with beer by Newcastle where we get into can throwing fight with Hereford fans. Alighted further north (!) at a place called Cramlington, two coaches at a time. Put on motor coaches for Blyth which didn’t have a station or much else.

KO 2.15pm I think because of dispute over their floodlights. Atmosphere hostile but not violent. Their grandstand had burnt down so no seats anywhere. Players changed in public park over the road I think. Terraces made of coal dust. Ground packed. Their mascot, gnarled old geezer playing the Kingsley role, thrown out by the police.

We’re winning easy as the light fades. 2-0. Floodlights not allowed! Near the end they get one back then another in last minute darkness, direct from a corner, Death didn’t see it IIRC, kitchen sink, mad Geordie passion everywhere, we just hang for draw and replay. Repeat long journey home in reverse arriving god knows what time. Magic of the the cup.

Replay a quite different story.

...heh heh and if you thought Blyth was a tough gig read the report of the 0-18 at Preston in 1894 in the Lost Years of Reading FC. Magic of the cup, my arse.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Dec 2019 22:41

My dad took me to Aldershot v Reading in Jan 67 - my first away game. Lost 0-1 and there was a then record crowd of 16,500 squeezed in to the Rec. Sat on the touchline for a while and then my dad stuck me on top of a tea kiosk for a clear view. How the fu ck they got 19,138 in there three years later vs Carlisle I will never know.

As far as I know, three clubs have had record attendances for FA Cup ties against Reading:

Cheltenham - 8,326 (1956)
Colchester Utd - 19,072 (1948 - game was abandoned. Imagine that crowd in Layer Road!)
Merthyr Tydfil - 21,000 :shock: (1946)

Any others?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Dec 2019 07:32

Fox Talbot
Franchise FC Has anyone mentioned the 4-0 defeat at Swindon in the late 70'/early 80's ?

Cold, wet, lost, seriously concerned outside the ground afterwards.

1974. All I can remember is Robin Friday looking like he was dying of asthma attack / hangover on the halfway line. Totally gubbed but they were a division higher.

1974 ? :shock:
Holy shit - I’m older than I thought :lol: :lol:

The Cube

by The Cube » 06 Dec 2019 08:10

Ark Royal My dad took me to Aldershot v Reading in Jan 67 - my first away game. Lost 0-1 and there was a then record crowd of 16,500 squeezed in to the Rec. Sat on the touchline for a while and then my dad stuck me on top of a tea kiosk for a clear view. How the fu ck they got 19,138 in there three years later vs Carlisle I will never know.

As far as I know, three clubs have had record attendances for FA Cup ties against Reading:

Colchester Utd - 19,072 (1948 - game was abandoned. Imagine that crowd in Layer Road!)

Any others?

Dagenham - 7,200 or 8,000 (1967/8). Same ground as Dagenham & Redbridge still use.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2019 08:37

A miserable away day at The Manor Ground in December 1983. A 3/0 stuffing at Oxford and I got very wet.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 06 Dec 2019 08:46

Ark Royal My dad took me to Aldershot v Reading in Jan 67 - my first away game. Lost 0-1 and there was a then record crowd of 16,500 squeezed in to the Rec. Sat on the touchline for a while and then my dad stuck me on top of a tea kiosk for a clear view. How the fu ck they got 19,138 in there three years later vs Carlisle I will never know.

Any others?

Crawley Town according to Footballgroundguide.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 06 Dec 2019 08:56

Zip A miserable away day at The Manor Ground in December 1983. A 3/0 stuffing at Oxford and I got very wet.

Yes went 1v0 up in the first game Ken Price scored thought we were on our way. Prefer to remember 1979 League cup first leg at the Manor won 5v1 beautiful.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Dec 2019 09:00

Henley Royal 1
Zip A miserable away day at The Manor Ground in December 1983. A 3/0 stuffing at Oxford and I got very wet.

Yes went 1v0 up in the first game Ken Price scored thought we were on our way. Prefer to remember 1979 League cup first leg at the Manor won 5v1 beautiful.

I was at that first game too. Senior with a very weak penalty saved was a big turning point.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 07 Dec 2019 21:03

Anyone remember non league Wycombe Wanderers away in 1976?
Football hooliganism was at it’s height and the whole of Buckinghamshire, some Oxford, some Spurs and a sprinkling of various clubs turned up and beat the fcuk out of us on the terraces.
On the pitch.......we lost again.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 08 Dec 2019 00:31

OldBiscuit Anyone remember non league Wycombe Wanderers away in 1976?
Football hooliganism was at it’s height and the whole of Buckinghamshire, some Oxford, some Spurs and a sprinkling of various clubs turned up and beat the fcuk out of us on the terraces.

Er, we won 2-1, I don’t recall a moment’s worry and you’re not too good on apostrophes either. Maybe back then I just took the violence for granted?

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 08 Dec 2019 19:38

Fox Talbot

Er, we won 2-1, I don’t recall a moment’s worry and you’re not too good on apostrophes either. Maybe back then I just took the violence for granted?

We won did we, my apologies, time plays games with your memories.
The violence? If you don't recall that then i think you must have dark glasses and a white stick. I personally think it was the worst i ever encountered as a Reading fan. It started off with behind one goal, spread along the side terrace and ended up behind the other goal, and you didn't have a moment's worry?
And you're not helping your image here, but please explain the apostrophes bit?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Dec 2019 19:57

OldBiscuit
Fox Talbot

The violence? If you don't recall that then i think you must have dark glasses and a white stick. I personally think it was the worst i ever encountered as a Reading fan. It started off with behind one goal, spread along the side terrace and ended up behind the other goal, and you didn't have a moment's worry?

At the old Loakes Park ground...went with dad, too young to remember the violence but I think it was Robin Friday's last goals for us before he went to Cardiff

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 09 Dec 2019 12:33

OldBiscuit
Fox Talbot

Hardly dark glasses and a white stick. As a young fan in the 70s I was usually very well aware of what was kicking off around me and I remember Man U in 70, Villa, 70, Pompey in 77 etc etc vividly - this one I don't. Maybe I was on the one side of the ground it didn't happen?

Its height. HTH.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 09 Dec 2019 17:23

Franchise FC Has anyone mentioned the 4-0 defeat at Swindon in the late 70'/early 80's ?

Cold, wet, lost, seriously concerned outside the ground afterwards.

Yup, that one certainly sticks in the memory ... and I sincerely wish it wouldn't.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 09 Dec 2019 22:36

Fox Talbot
OldBiscuit
Fox Talbot

Hardly dark glasses and a white stick. As a young fan in the 70s I was usually very well aware of what was kicking off around me and I remember Man U in 70, Villa, 70, Pompey in 77 etc etc vividly - this one I don't. Maybe I was on the one side of the ground it didn't happen?

Its height. HTH.

Ok, no problem, but please now explain the apostrophe bit.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Dec 2019 05:52

Great thread to feel young in. Wasn't even born for a lot of these fixtures.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 10 Dec 2019 12:48

Green Great thread to feel young in. Wasn't even born for a lot of these fixtures.

This might deserve a different thread but, yes, us oldsters will have a different perspective. From about 1968 to the early 1990s as a young man you were generally at some physical risk going to or being at a football match in the UK. Over 200 people died doing so in this period though I can recall only one actual case of murder.

Of course at many games there were no incidents but even in the Fourth Division with sub-5000 crowds you had to watch yourself. Doubtless every weekend back then dozens, scores, of people were attacked or beaten up or hit with missiles somewhere in the country. Most of it went unreported. Today when some kid makes a racist gesture (at Tottenham) or a couple of louts are homophobic (at Brighton) it's national news.

Within the last 10-15 years I recall the Reading crowd chanting what would now be termed homophobic abuse at Brighton fans. Times change, always and often fast. Green - you're in a better place than we were. Perhaps less exciting.

boycey

by boycey » 10 Dec 2019 12:51

Quite enjoyed Bradford away.
Dylan Kerr turned up with a crate of tinnies on his shoulder and a poor lad in a bright orange Stone Island jacket was being chased down a back street.

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 10 Dec 2019 15:09

Another recent one, Everton away mid week, Matt Mills, thoroughly enjoyable, more for the fact no-one saw it coming at all!

Probably never gets a mention to due a certain Liverpool away victory.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Dec 2019 15:12

Stockport Royal Another recent one, Everton away mid week, Matt Mills, thoroughly enjoyable, more for the fact no-one saw it coming at all!

Probably never gets a mention to due a certain Liverpool away victory.

Phenomenal away day. Difficult to see the ball hit the net from the away end, so it was one of those classic 'wait until Mills was running away celebrating to confirm it had gone in. I think Jermaine Beckford got there late because he was stuck in traffic and wasn't allowed to play.