FA Cup away day memories

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: FA Cup away day memories

by Hendo » 03 Dec 2019 16:01

WoodleyRoyal
Hendo
WoodleyRoyal York City v Reading, 08 December 2001 we lost 2-0

Went on the supporter's coach, someone was taken ill and we had to drop him off at the hospital, we waited for ages and ages on the coach outside. In the end, we left leaving him up in york ill on his own :shock:

Was one of THE worst performances I'd ever seen from us. and FTR York away on a coach? fook me that took some time.

looking at the line ups i see a one graham potter in the starting line up for york

Reading: Ashdown, Murty, Viveash (Mackie 69), Williams, Shorey, Hughes (Tyson 80), Jones, Harper, Rougier (Igoe 72), Cureton, Henderson. Subs not used: Malessa, Parkinson.

Who the hell was Malessa?

Antony Malessa goalkeeper

No recollection at all, must've been a youth 'keeper especially if Ashdown played in goal, as Whitehead would've been rested, I guess.

Also struggling with the Jones?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 03 Dec 2019 16:02

John Smith Stevenage (a) 2018. A toxic reception for Stam and grabbing a replay by the skin of our teeth. Full of fraudulent day trippers.

stealthpapes That game was grim. Stam unveiling the 4-6-0 formation. At least one throw in went straight back out again.

Yep, that was one of the most heated, toxic atmospheres I can remember in a long, long time.

Half the away end singing 'Pass it back, pass it back
Playing football the Jaap Stam way'

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 Dec 2019 16:03

Hendo
WoodleyRoyal
Hendo
Reading: Ashdown, Murty, Viveash (Mackie 69), Williams, Shorey, Hughes (Tyson 80), Jones, Harper, Rougier (Igoe 72), Cureton, Henderson. Subs not used: Malessa, Parkinson.

Who the hell was Malessa?

Antony Malessa goalkeeper

No recollection at all, must've been a youth 'keeper especially if Ashdown played in goal, as Whitehead would've been rested, I guess.

Antony Malessa;

Shrewsbury 11 Jan, 02 11 Feb, 02 Loan No appearance data available
Reading 01 Dec, 01 01 Jul, 02 Free No appearance data available
Oxford 11 Aug, 01 01 Dec, 01 Free No appearance data available
Bristol C 01 Jul, 99 11 Aug, 01 Trainee 0 (1) 0 0 (0) 0 1 (0) 0 1 (0) 0

the jones was kieth jones
Last edited by WoodleyRoyal on 03 Dec 2019 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Dec 2019 16:07

WoodleyRoyal
Hendo
WoodleyRoyal Antony Malessa goalkeeper

Shrewsbury 11 Jan, 02 11 Feb, 02 Loan No appearance data available
Reading 01 Dec, 01 01 Jul, 02 Free No appearance data available
Oxford 11 Aug, 01 01 Dec, 01 Free No appearance data available
Bristol C 01 Jul, 99 11 Aug, 01 Trainee 0 (1) 0 0 (0) 0 1 (0) 0 1 (0) 0

the jones was kieth jones

So not the most illustrious career for Antony then :shock:

Ah Keith Jones, of course!

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 03 Dec 2019 17:06

BLYTH - the longest day (and a half!).

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Dec 2019 17:13

Fox Talbot BLYTH - the longest day (and a half!).

Worth telling us the story or is this one of those "You had to be there" things?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Dec 2019 17:18

Victor Meldrew
Ark Royal Man City in 93. 1-1 and deserved the replay. Another step in McGhee's revolution.

Scott Taylor scored but we lost the replay of course (Niall Quinn??)

Talking of City,1968 0-0 at Maine Road, anticipating a giant-killing back at Elm Park.
Little did we know that City had a real off-day in the first game but didn't they turn it on in the replay?
7-0 and it could have been more.
We didn't know until that night that we were watching a City side destined to be FA Cup winners and Top Division champions-their subsequent successful period was no great surprise.

I'll throw in Pompey away in 1978.
We won 1-0 (John Alexander) and looked good in a season when we went on to be champions.
The following week we went back there and got stuffed 4-0.

1997 away at Sheff Utd on a Friday night (13th!!) and we lost 1-0 in the last minute when IIRC Linvoy failed to clear the ball.

Why does the name Lee Sandford suddenly come to mind on reading that Sheff U memory?

bagman

by bagman » 03 Dec 2019 17:56

Brentwood in 1969. I believe it was Tommy Jenkins first game . Only tactic was to pass to him. My estate agent (Dai Jones) was right back for Brentwood and kicked the #### out of him. Pitch was a ploughed field . Lost 1-0.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 03 Dec 2019 18:44

Green

Worth telling us the story or is this one of those "You had to be there" things?

I've been to Blyth, Green, and while I am a bit of a connoisseur of your northern grit, I would strongly suggest staying the absolute fuck away.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 03 Dec 2019 18:45

Schards#2
LUX I did two Cup away days with the supporters club in the 70's.

Wealdstone has already been reported on in extenso. Got beat 2-1, George Duck scored 2 for them. We all ran back to the coaches because Aldershot had about 20 hooligans there to attack us. "Run, they're coming". True story.

Hereford away 1976 (?), they were two divisions above us. Glamour tie for us. We had a supporters club train. Didn't have a shot all game iirc, we lost 1-0. Trouble in their end at half time, apparently Black Russian (Reading/Chelsea's finest) had got in there.

In other "running back" news, Swansea away circa 1983(?)

Special train, hammered 4-1, chased all the way back to the station, bricks thrown at the train as it left the station.

Happy days

Hi Schards

see you in AE next Friday, right?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Dec 2019 19:07

Did you go? Believe we got a draw and won the replay 6-1...and set up a 4th round tie with Arsenal who were double winnners then, Charlie George and co

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 03 Dec 2019 21:14

Hendon away in ( I think ) 1975.

A load of Tottenham fans turned up and the brawling went on all game.

On the field we lost 1-0.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 03 Dec 2019 21:38

OldBiscuit Hendon away in ( I think ) 1975.

A load of Tottenham fans turned up and the brawling went on all game.

On the field we lost 1-0.

We were shite that day in an otherwise great season. Highlight of the day was meeting Denis Compton after the game.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 03 Dec 2019 22:02

Common theme of getting hassled at nonleague grounds by hoodies from big clubs. I was at Hendon but don’t remember Spuds kicking off. I do remember Cardiff at Barry and Bristol City at Bridgwater - go along thinking you’re the billy big boots and all of a sudden you’re not :shock:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Dec 2019 22:05

I remember getting soaked at a packed out Whaddon Road for our 1-1 draw with Cheltenham when they were non League. Was in the home end and couldn’t see much of the game.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 03 Dec 2019 22:14

Mid Sussex Royal

Did you go? Believe we got a draw and won the replay 6-1...and set up a 4th round tie with Arsenal who were double winnners then, Charlie George and co

I was there. Epic journey. Train left about 5am. Awash with beer by Newcastle where we get into can throwing fight with Hereford fans. Alighted further north (!) at a place called Cramlington, two coaches at a time. Put on motor coaches for Blyth which didn’t have a station or much else.

KO 2.15pm I think because of dispute over their floodlights. Atmosphere hostile but not violent. Their grandstand had burnt down so no seats anywhere. Players changed in public park over the road I think. Terraces made of coal dust. Ground packed. Their mascot, gnarled old geezer playing the Kingsley role, thrown out by the police.

We’re winning easy as the light fades. 2-0. Floodlights not allowed! Near the end they get one back then another in last minute darkness, direct from a corner, Death didn’t see it IIRC, kitchen sink, mad Geordie passion everywhere, we just hang for draw and replay. Repeat long journey home in reverse arriving god knows what time. Magic of the the cup.

Replay a quite different story.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Dec 2019 22:25

Fox Talbot
Mid Sussex Royal

I was there. Epic journey. Train left about 5am. Awash with beer by Newcastle where we get into can throwing fight with Hereford fans. Alighted further north (!) at a place called Cramlington, two coaches at a time. Put on motor coaches for Blyth which didn’t have a station or much else.

KO 2.15pm I think because of dispute over their floodlights. Atmosphere hostile but not violent. Their grandstand had burnt down so no seats anywhere. Players changed in public park over the road I think. Terraces made of coal dust. Ground packed. Their mascot, gnarled old geezer playing the Kingsley role, thrown out by the police.

We’re winning easy as the light fades. 2-0. Floodlights not allowed! Near the end they get one back then another in last minute darkness, direct from a corner, Death didn’t see it IIRC, kitchen sink, mad Geordie passion everywhere, we just hang for draw and replay. Repeat long journey home in reverse arriving god knows what time. Magic of the the cup.

Last edited by Green on 03 Dec 2019 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Dec 2019 22:26

stealthpapes
Green

I've been to Blyth, Green, and while I am a bit of a connoisseur of your northern grit, I would strongly suggest staying the absolute fuck away.

Give it a few years and it'll win city of culture.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Dec 2019 10:50

Stevenage away.Beginning of the end for Stam.
Shouts of pass it back,throughout the game.
Players got really peed off with fans.
I think it was Gunter who restored calm.
Nice little ground though,straight of the motorway then short walk to ground or shopping centre.
Surprisingly we had the best stand.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Dec 2019 11:04

Fox Talbot
Mid Sussex Royal

Was the replay on a weekday afternoon because of the electricity strikes?