BFTG Birmingham

145 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Birmingham

by Zip » 08 Dec 2019 11:40

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
Zip Just seen the free kick again. Rafael should have done better imo.

Nope top corner.

Thought his starting position was poor. Let the wall do its job and protect the other side. Saying that there was crazy dip and it was an excellent shot, but start one step nearer that corner and you've got a chance to save it.

Yes and as the free Kick is about to be struck he takes a step away from that side of the goal and leaves himself with too much to do.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2019 11:44

Snowflake Royal
Zip Playing Rinomhota and Pele is fine away at Leeds but at home to Birmingham no chance. Bowen should have started with Adam and then brought on Olise when Adam tired. If you have no creativity in midfield where are the chances coming from?

Don't see how you can start with Adam. The guy plays walking football is just so off the pace. Fine for 15 - 20 minutes to come on and ping passes around when pressing hard at the end, but dreadful to start.

Rino and Pele is fine, but they need an actual creative midfielder with them. McCleary simply doesn't play pass and move, he runs at people and his control was diabolical yesterday. Olise should be playing in the absence of Swift and Ejaria.

If we play that system, we have to play it, not crowbar someone in out of position. That's why we've been so pedestrian in attack (plus Meite and Puscas really won't work together on scraps).

On the plus side, set piece delivery was way better and more crossing.

So start Olise then and bring on Adam later on. Either way there has to be some creative spark in there.
We also badly miss Barrow. There is no pace to counter quickly. At the moment we desperately lack out and out wingers. Boye certainly isn’t the answer and GMac probably isn’t anymore.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2019 12:00

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip Playing Rinomhota and Pele is fine away at Leeds but at home to Birmingham no chance. Bowen should have started with Adam and then brought on Olise when Adam tired. If you have no creativity in midfield where are the chances coming from?

Don't see how you can start with Adam. The guy plays walking football is just so off the pace. Fine for 15 - 20 minutes to come on and ping passes around when pressing hard at the end, but dreadful to start.

Rino and Pele is fine, but they need an actual creative midfielder with them. McCleary simply doesn't play pass and move, he runs at people and his control was diabolical yesterday. Olise should be playing in the absence of Swift and Ejaria.

If we play that system, we have to play it, not crowbar someone in out of position. That's why we've been so pedestrian in attack (plus Meite and Puscas really won't work together on scraps).

On the plus side, set piece delivery was way better and more crossing.

So start Olise then and bring on Adam later on. Either way there has to be some creative spark in there.
We also badly miss Barrow. There is no pace to counter quickly. At the moment we desperately lack out and out wingers. Boye certainly isn’t the answer and GMac probably isn’t anymore.

Yes. Meite and Gmac can do a job as tactical changes. Plus Olise and Barrett.

What we lack most IMO is good choices being made on the pitch.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 08 Dec 2019 12:09

For me, when everyone is fit there are seriously tough decisions to make for Bowen and will be the making or breaking of our season as we need consistency not chopping and changing.

The most balanced and assured performance I’ve seen all season was West Brom away, where I thought we looked solid at the back and dangerous in attack. Team that day was - Rafael, Yiadom, MMM, Richards, Pele, Swift, Ejaria, Boye, Puscas.

Would be interested to know the views in here, what would you do with-

1 - PREFERRED FORMATION: 4-4-2 or 5–3-2

2 - FORWARDS: Puscas, Meite, Joao, Baldock, Bowen clearly likes two strikers, Baldock for me has been the most impressive since the change of manager. What two start Wednesday? I would try Baldock and Joao OR try Boye and Puscas again. I really don’t think Meite is the answer unless we are chasing a game and lumping balls into the box

3 - BALL PLAYERS: Swift and Ejaria, how do you fit them both in and still have a balanced team still playing 2 up top? For me we can only do this with 5-3-2

4 - CENTRE HALVES: if you go 4 at the back who drops to the bench?

5 - BOYE: how does he fit in? If at all? I’ve seen glimpses of quality and 1 on 1 he can beat a man. For me he needs to start to show his ability, not get the odd subs appearance here and there

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Dec 2019 12:27

hughsies no.1 For me, when everyone is fit there are seriously tough decisions to make for Bowen and will be the making or breaking of our season as we need consistency not chopping and changing.

The most balanced and assured performance I’ve seen all season was West Brom away, where I thought we looked solid at the back and dangerous in attack. Team that day was - Rafael, Yiadom, MMM, Richards, Pele, Swift, Ejaria, Boye, Puscas.

2 - FORWARDS: Puscas, Meite, Joao, Baldock, Bowen clearly likes two strikers, Baldock for me has been the most impressive since the change of manager. What two start Wednesday? I would try Baldock and Joao OR try Boye and Puscas again. I really don’t think Meite is the answer unless we are chasing a game and lumping balls into the box

3 - BALL PLAYERS: Swift and Ejaria, how do you fit them both in and still have a balanced team still playing 2 up top? For me we can only do this with 5-3-2

5 - BOYE: how does he fit in? If at all? I’ve seen glimpses of quality and 1 on 1 he can beat a man. For me he needs to start to show his ability, not get the odd subs appearance here and there

Good post

(1) - Adapt to the opposition. I'd prefer a 4-2-3-1 but against sides who are clearly better than us, i.e. West Brom away I'd use a 5-3-2, making sure we're a threat offensively however rather than vs Leeds

(2) - Baldock and Puscas has worked the best so far but I think Joao has a claim to start and would be surprised to see Baldock start on Wednesday considering he's just back from injury

(3) - Could work in a 4-2-3-1, Ejaria being one of the RAM's or LAM's like he was last season. Similarly a 4-2-2-2 could fit them both in but that wouldn't be my preferred one

(4) - Probably Morrison, although I like him. Depends on form really, they've all had their ups and downs so far this season. Or perhaps push Moore up into midfield like at Bristol if Pele isn't cutting the mustard

(5) - He's got a bit of quality but he's frustrating and has a tendency to hold onto the ball for too long. Wouldn't be against him getting a couple of starts in a row and then if he's not up to it, send him back in January. Very much like what we did with Sims last season. Think he's an easy scapegoat at the moment though

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Dec 2019 12:41

Well, assuming we continue to win most of the games we should do, we should have enough leeway this season to play around a bit with the team.

I'd rather us finish 18th, having experimented and taken risks, then grind out results Stam era-wise and finish 8th.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Dec 2019 12:55

Ok just watched Bowens post match interveiw. Firstly, apologies to URZZZ, Bowen said last week it was a 4-4-2 so my bad. It looked like this:
-------------------Rafael
Yiadom--Miazga--Moore--Richards
--McCleary---Rinomhota---Adam
---------Joao---Puscas---Boye
To me. I was wrong.

Secondly I think it is odd for him to say he was disappointed in last weeks first half (says we didnt create chances) but then chooses to line up the exact same way. I dont think a formation change was needed from the start or anything and I know everyone has mentioned it but why keep it the same, watch an even half of football, then change at the break when we were arguably the team with the momentum? We were sitting pretty with some good options off the bench and were absolutely looking a threat from set pieces.

Not that it could have been predicted but about 5 minutes after the first formation change there was a second (moving McCleary central again to help out the midfield) that directly led to the free kick they scored from. It really seemed like very panicked, reactionary management.

Also lol at Pep Clotet claiming it was his formation change that won them the game. It wasnt. It was ours. But I suppose it looks better to claim you did it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2019 12:56

Elm Park Kid Well, assuming we continue to win most of the games we should do, we should have enough leeway this season to play around a bit with the team.

I'd rather us finish 18th, having experimented and taken risks, then grind out results Stam era-wise and finish 8th.

You'd rather finish 18th than 8th.......

I'll add this to the long list of ridiculous comments made on the team board.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 Dec 2019 13:06

tee peg The chemistry isn't there with this group of players.They are not a team.

I’ve said this many times - we’ve not had a team for yonks now - recruitment is the big issue. That’s why Baldock is such a big player for us now - technically probably the worst of our strikers, but a proper team player. I don’t understand the signings of Boye or Joao - what formations are they supposed to fit into? We’ve got lots of different types of players who are on different wavelengths to each other

Expecting a few changes on Wednesday now. If Baldock isn’t fit, i think going for a 4-3-3 would accommodate Meite (and Boye from what I’ve seen) better

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 08 Dec 2019 13:11

Old Man Andrews
Elm Park Kid Well, assuming we continue to win most of the games we should do, we should have enough leeway this season to play around a bit with the team.

Elm Park Kid, it’s a fair comment and I agree to a point. However we have been ‘experimenting’ for years it seems sometimes, we shouldn’t need to keep doing this, just pick the best players in their best positions, not think that every play can play in any position, ie McLeary.

JR

by JR » 08 Dec 2019 13:24

Just watched the highlights. I didn’t realise at the time, but it was shocking goalkeeping by Rafael for the 2nd.

Looked like a cracking free kick, but should have been comfortably saved. Rafael was that side of the goal and dived with his wrong hand.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2019 13:26

JR Just watched the highlights. I didn’t realise at the time, but it was shocking goalkeeping by Rafael for the 2nd.

Looked like a cracking free kick, but should have been comfortably saved. Rafael was that side of the goal and dived with his wrong hand.

There is no such thing as "diving with you wrong hand". Its a complete myth that is stated by people who don't know much about goalkeeping.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 08 Dec 2019 13:30

RoyalBlue
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
windermereROYAL
Nope top corner.

It was an excellent strike, no doubt. But the wall was not in the right place nor was there enough people in it. Keeper openly invited the taker to put it in the corner he did.

Anyway.... This is my first time in a LONG time that I've seen Reading live. Have to say I didn't see a single interesting player on the Reading side. If I had to choose one it would probably be Yiadom but overall a terrible game for the scouts. I thought our strikers were awful. It never looked like at any point that we had two up front, so we never looked dangerous. I think a pacy, annoying forward would make a world of difference as I didn't think the midfield was that bad.

Two points of contention:
At half time I thought we'd win the game, but Birmingham came out a different side in the second half and we didn't cope. So I feel we could have got something from the game at one point. So, disappointing really.
I thought the ref was pretty decent actually. Yeah he gave a lot of decisions to Birmingham but I didn't think there was anything wrong with his performance

So it wasn't a blatant foul on McCleary deep in their half from which they countered and won the free kick that they scored from after McCleary reacted stupidly to not get the free kick from the foul on him?!

Yes it was - hence my comment earlier on about the ref changing the game. If the foul on GMac had been given then that period of play would have been different. Also it was a ridiculously long 10 yards from the ref for the wall.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Dec 2019 14:22

Bristol Paul
Old Man Andrews

Elm Park Kid, it’s a fair comment and I agree to a point. However we have been ‘experimenting’ for years it seems sometimes, we shouldn’t need to keep doing this, just pick the best players in their best positions, not think that every play can play in any position, ie McLeary.

Eventually - yes, we just need to play a settled team and give it the chance to bond. But we probably have 2-3 months where we can just try out formations and pairings and see which ones have potential and which don't.

I honestly don't care if we finish 8th or 18th - what difference does it make? What I care about is whether the team is playing good football towards the end of the season and whether we have confidence going into the next one.

JR

by JR » 08 Dec 2019 14:32

Old Man Andrews
JR Just watched the highlights. I didn’t realise at the time, but it was shocking goalkeeping by Rafael for the 2nd.

There is no such thing as "diving with you wrong hand". Its a complete myth that is stated by people who don't know much about goalkeeping.

Hmmm.....I was a goalkeeper, not a great one mind, but was something I’ve had to consider in practice.

Surely it’s just a physiological fact:

Stand up and stretch out your right arm at a 45 degree angle to the right. Now take your left arm and try to reach the tips of your fingers on your right fingers - you can’t and that could be the few inches that are the difference between a finger tip save and a goal.

Sure many goalkeepers prefer to go with the other hand, but they should be able to get the furthest reach with the hand closest to the location of the ball.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Dec 2019 14:44

JR
Old Man Andrews

Hmmm.....I was a goalkeeper, not a great one mind, but was something I’ve had to consider in practice.

Surely it’s just a physiological fact:

Stand up and stretch out your right arm at a 45 degree angle to the right. Now take your left arm and try to reach the tips of your fingers on your right fingers - you can’t and that could be the few inches that are the difference between a finger tip save and a goal.

Sure many goalkeepers prefer to go with the other hand, but they should be able to get the furthest reach with the hand closest to the location of the ball.

Wait. Im not interested in joining the Rafaels fault or not debate but surely you have better reach with the hand on the arm opposite to the side the ball goes? You jump in that direction and it becomes the arm with the highest reach?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Dec 2019 14:51

hughsies no.1 For me, when everyone is fit there are seriously tough decisions to make for Bowen and will be the making or breaking of our season as we need consistency not chopping and changing.

Oh This looks fun.

Preferred formation - 5-3-2 - Which says a lot as I have been vehemently opposed to that for quite a while on here. It is the best use of the players we have. By some distance.

Starting strikers - Controversial one incoming but I think Joao and Puscas. Baldock works his arse off and was in good form before his injury but Joao offers more and in different areas. Meite will miss out which is not a good thing but Puscas is simply a slightly better player.

Ball Players - Agreed. That formation is the only way to fit them in and keep 2 up top. We should be doing everything possible to maximise their time on the pitch.

Defenders - Based on last game? Morrison... Based on the season so far? Moore...

Boye - Is shite, a massive liability and offers no more than Barrett, Loader, Olise, Adam, Baldock, oxf*rd it, anyone in the team who can play up front, on the wing or as a 10 offers more than him. Drop him and ship him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Dec 2019 14:56

NewCorkSeth

Oh This looks fun.

Preferred formation - 5-3-2 - Which says a lot as I have been vehemently opposed to that for quite a while on here. It is the best use of the players we have. By some distance.

Starting strikers - Controversial one incoming but I think Joao and Puscas. Baldock works his arse off and was in good form before his injury but Joao offers more and in different areas. Meite will miss out which is not a good thing but Puscas is simply a slightly better player.

Ball Players - Agreed. That formation is the only way to fit them in and keep 2 up top. We should be doing everything possible to maximise their time on the pitch.

Defenders - Based on last game? Morrison... Based on the season so far? Moore...

Boye - Is shite, a massive liability and offers no more than Barrett, Loader, Olise, Adam, Baldock, oxf*rd it, anyone in the team who can play up front, on the wing or as a 10 offers more than him. Drop him and ship him.

As I said, an easy scapegoat :roll:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Dec 2019 15:00

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Oh This looks fun.

As I said, an easy scapegoat :roll:

Dont be reductionist. Look at all my posts that mention Boye since he came. I've said this since the start. It's not because we lost I think hes shit and I dont think we lost because of him. I'm far from scapegoating him.

Richards was probably mostly to blame for the defeat. Maybe Bowen. They can be my escapegoats this time.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2019 15:06

Yep. At the time I thought it was a good free-kick but still has a question mark about Rafael. Watching it after I felt he should have saved it.

145 posts