125 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by Yakubu

by Sutekh » 17 Dec 2019 11:14

When : Saturday 21st December 2019, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Reading take their amazing run of 4 successive dismal performances into the fray against Derby County. While dismal there has at least been some points gained through a brief hiatus at the end of the Wigan game together with inability of Barnsley to hit a target and Stoke being, well equally dismal.

Derby are really not much better than dismal themselves, though that didn’t stop Birmingham on their visit to Rotherham Mad Stad, and sit 3 points and 2 places above Reading with an inferior goal difference so victory for the hoops would lift Reading at least 1 place in the table and make Derby even more anxious than they are already.

Since the loss of Frank the Rams have spluttered and hiccuped their way through the season pretty much like Reading. Their current run is 2 points from 15 and no wins in the road since they won at Huddersfield on the first day of the season and no away draws since they went to Oakwell on 2nd October. So not looking that good for Reading based on previous experiences.

Derby have not scored more than 1 in a game since they beat Middlesbrough 2-0 on 2nd November and since then they have gone on a run of 7 games alternating between scoring 1 and then scoring 0 - their last game was a 1-0 defeat to Millwall.....

Goals arrive (or used to arrive) with regularity for Chris Martin (16 games, 4 goals) Martyn Waghorn (22 games, 6 goals) and Tom Lawrence (20 games, 5 goals) and barely at all for anyone else so the correct marshalling of these gentlemen is required to maximise the opportunity of 3 points.

Richard Keogh is out injured and of course it’s still pre-Rooney days for Derby. Reading will be without Puscas, Yiadom and McIntyre. It is unlikely Swift will play any part but there is an outside chance that he maybe on the bench if the optimistic reports on his injury prove really accurate. Miazga is unknown. He was rested last week as a precaution over a hamstring niggle so he will be monitored carefully this week to see if he is able to play on. If not then it’s time for a back 4 and possibly the same side that played v Stoke.

Another game then that Reading should be good enough to win and certainly a game where they surely have to get something as they look to stop the run of 2 successive home defeats. But as we know with Reading these days there is no clue as to what you’ll get on the day. Can’t be any worse than the last attempt though can it?

Referee

Taking charge of his first ever league game at this level is Michael Salisbury, last seen refereeing Cambridge v Plymouth 2 weeks ago. He sent off 3 players in the Bradford v Exeter game earlier this season and 2 in the same game on the opening day so Reading might need to behave themselves a little.

Historically

This will be the 21st visit from Derby for a league game in Reading and all have been played since September 1984.

Reading have the upper hand on Derby with almost as twice as many wins across all league games (20) as their more illustrious opponents. However while Reading have that upper hand and have recorded 11 home wins to Derby’s 4 away wins the fact is that Reading have not won any of the previous 7 home games against Derby (D4, L3) scoring 7 to their 12. So there is a real challenge there to get the better of.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Derby County (h) sponsored by Yakubu

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2019 11:16

Michael Salisbury is a cnut.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Dec 2019 11:35

Rafael

Howe
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Baldock
Joao

Walker Gunter Obita Adam Olise Boye Meite

Let’s just hope Evans doesn’t play in midfield for them, not sure how we’ll be able to cope to be honest...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2019 11:35

Old Man Andrews Michael Salisbury is a cnut.

Certainly would appear that he likes to enforce his authority. Would also appear to be out of his depth at this level and should go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2019 12:20

URZZZZ Rafael

Howe
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Baldock
Joao

Let’s just hope Evans doesn’t play in midfield for them, not sure how we’ll be able to cope to be honest...

This but Obita for Blackett and Gunter for Howe

I suppose if Swift is still not fit, then Adam to come in (sigh). And McCleary on the Bench for someone, don't really care who

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2019 12:26

Hound
URZZZZ Rafael

Howe
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Baldock
Joao

I suppose if Swift is still not fit, then Adam to come in (sigh). And McCleary on the Bench for someone, don't really care who

Cabral
Gunter
Obita
Moore
Morrison
Blackett
Rino
Ejaria
Swift / Pele
Baldock
Joao

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Dec 2019 12:26

Hound
URZZZZ Rafael

Howe
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Baldock
Joao

I forgot about McCleary, Olise out for him

Derby haven’t scored an away goal since Wednesday 2nd October and haven’t scored a goal from open play since Saturday 2nd November. Therefore I’d choose Howe over Gunter this game to try and add some attacking impetus and then bring Gunter back in for QPR to deal with BOS who seems to be on good form

If Swift isn’t fit, I’d be tempted to bring Meite/Boye in and play a 4-3-3 with one of them and Joao as inside forwards. Adam has done well but we’ve got a few games coming up in a short time period so he’ll be needed then

I don’t particularly care about left back but Blackett seemed to have done reasonably well against Stoke so I’d keep him in probably on reflection

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Dec 2019 13:56

Since the 2-2 draw away to Barnsley on Oct 2nd, Derby have lost all their away games without scoring.

You know what that means!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Dec 2019 13:56

Dont even know. What formation are we going for these days?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Dec 2019 15:13

My first away game was at a Derby match with my buddy Framdog. I met bas savage in the crowd and he was wearing a pink hat.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Dec 2019 16:31

4-3-3

Rafael

Gunter Moore Morrison Obita

Rinhomota Ejaria Pele

Meite Joao Baldock

Joao as the loan striker with Meite and Baldock as inside forwards.

We need to take the game to Derby.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2019 17:20

Crowbar6753 4-3-3

Rafael

Rinhomota Ejaria Pele

Meite Joao Baldock

Thought Boye was the loan striker?

:wink:

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Dec 2019 17:53

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 4-3-3

Rafael

Rinhomota Ejaria Pele

Meite Joao Baldock

:oops: My bad, can i blame this on auto correct :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2019 18:06

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 4-3-3

Rafael

Rinhomota Ejaria Pele

Meite Joao Baldock

:oops: My bad, can i blame this on auto correct :D

I certainly would

Barb

by Barb » 18 Dec 2019 12:39

Big game this for Bowen. He doesnt have much good will in the bank and people haven't been pleased with recent performances. Derby have bee dreadful away from home so a defeat could really ramp up the pressure on him.

I'm going for a 1-0 victory though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2019 17:30

Barb Big game this for Bowen. He doesnt have much good will in the bank and people haven't been pleased with recent performances. Derby have bee dreadful away from home so a defeat could really ramp up the pressure on him.

WTF?

Why wouldn't he have good will in the bank after getting us 1.5pts a game when prior to him we were on about 0.7ppg

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Dec 2019 19:03

Snowflake Royal
Barb Big game this for Bowen. He doesnt have much good will in the bank and people haven't been pleased with recent performances. Derby have bee dreadful away from home so a defeat could really ramp up the pressure on him.

WTF?

Why wouldn't he have good will in the bank after getting us 1.5pts a game when prior to him we were on about 0.7ppg

You know you're not allowed to count the first 4 games!!!

(apparently)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Dec 2019 23:24

Snowflake Royal

WTF?

Because we’ve won one game in six, including 22nd, 23rd and 24th and another team that rarely wins away from home. I think he’s under quite a bit of pressure against Derby personally. They haven’t won away in four and a half months, haven’t scored in two and a half months and when you consider the run coming up, I think three points is a must for him. But then again, this is us so we’ll probably end up losing to Derby and then going to Preston and winning 3-0

As to Bowen’s goodwill, rightly or wrongly, you know how quickly people will turn. When you consider people’s initial reactions to him taking the job, recent football, style of play, surely you can’t be surprised (especially with some of the dorks on Twitter) that more and more people are getting on his back

I’ve liked Bowen’s work so far but it’s regressing and he needs to fix it. Sharpish. Gomes didn’t and reaped the consequences

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Dec 2019 06:34

Would agree with urrrzzz

Needs to win one of the next two or else there’s going to be quite a bit of discontent again sadly

Still 6 points and all will be rosey again

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Dec 2019 07:06

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

WTF?

Because we’ve won one game in six, including 22nd, 23rd and 24th and another team that rarely wins away from home. I think he’s under quite a bit of pressure against Derby personally. They haven’t won away in four and a half months, haven’t scored in two and a half months and when you consider the run coming up, I think three points is a must for him. But then again, this is us so we’ll probably end up losing to Derby and then going to Preston and winning 3-0

As to Bowen’s goodwill, rightly or wrongly, you know how quickly people will turn. When you consider people’s initial reactions to him taking the job, recent football, style of play, surely you can’t be surprised (especially with some of the dorks on Twitter) that more and more people are getting on his back

I’ve liked Bowen’s work so far but it’s regressing and he needs to fix it. Sharpish. Gomes didn’t and reaped the consequences

I do agree with your sentiment.

125 posts