BFTG - Derby

187 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Derby

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Dec 2019 21:47

Jack Celliers It was good. We were never going to lose and deserved the 3-0 win. Adam was a world-beater for half an hour, and that was enough really. Joao was very good and Ejaria is the best player in the division. I suppose they all played well, including the subs.

The highlights didn't show the Adams foul that didn't lead to a penalty, but the ref seemed to get the other penalty decisions right. It isn't the best rule in the world though. Is the gentle push in the back really a more serious offence than the mowing tackle that had a 1% chance of getting the ball?

From the replay I saw on ifollow he didnt touch the derby player.

TadleyURZ

by TadleyURZ » 21 Dec 2019 21:48

Maybe I had too much pre game Christmas cheer but I thought Adam was average at best. 2 or 3 decent passes, some terrible ones as well. Derby played with pace through the middle and we looked vulnerable the entire time he was on the pitch due to his lack of pace. On the game itself, we looked pedestrian first half, slow and lacking cutting edge. Baldock makes some great runs that we just don’t see. I thought we played with a bit more pace in the 2nd half and could have had more than the two goals. Happy with 3 points, but it papers over the cracks a bit.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Dec 2019 22:46

Lower West
Needle Thought dragging Rino off for Swift was odd.

Was suffering from a bad cold. Which probably accounts for his under par performance.

Has he had his bad cold for a month?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Dec 2019 23:02

URZZZZ
Lower West
Needle Thought dragging Rino off for Swift was odd.

Was suffering from a bad cold. Which probably accounts for his under par performance.

Has he had his bad cold for a month?

The whole team appears to have been suffering. :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Dec 2019 23:03

....and yet, a 3-0 win ... :roll:

Unbelievable

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Dec 2019 23:31

A 3-0 win which papered over the cracks. A lot more is needed against better sides. Even against a poor 10 men Derby, we didn’t have enough control of the ball and they waltzed through our midfield

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Dec 2019 23:34

Hark at Father Christmas there

3 fukkin nil, not the prettiest, but 3 fukkin nil

two or three key players out injured

Yes they “ploughed through our midfield” but still got nil

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 21 Dec 2019 23:43

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal
John Madejski's Wallet Yes, if the defender is deemed to have made an honest attempt to get the ball then its now a yellow

I was in line with it in the East Stand, it looked like Meite was losing control of the ball so whilst it looked a pen, the sending off was very harsh

If it’s a pen it’s a sending off as Malone clearly wasn’t playing the ball

Only if it’s denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity; otherwise every push in the area would be a straight red.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Dec 2019 23:44

I’m fully aware we won the game 3-0

But Rinomhota has been on poor form since his error for the Leeds goal. He was no better today. Just because we won the game 3-0 doesn’t mean he played well

I think, as a team, we are over reliant on Swift and today hasn’t changed my mind.

A professional three points, but one in which we rode our luck and could have done better

Hopefully onwards and upwards now

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Dec 2019 23:51

Westwood52
Westwood52
sandman
No he didn't.

Just had a look .Have they changed the rules ? Last man and all that.If they have you are correct.

Yes the rules are if the last defender is judged to have tried to win the ball then it`s a yellow, the red was a blatant push in the back with no attempt to play the ball.
This rule was bought in because teams were often being punished twice with a red and a penalty awarded.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Dec 2019 23:52

Indeed ‘URZZ’

Lots of mitigation’s for you (and others) negativity out there.

Today, just take it for what it was, 3 points against a problemed team who is still looking for its own cohesive way ahead.
However, do not denigrate our own teams day in the sun...we had players missing too

Delighted that those who filled-in played without any worthy criticism.
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 21 Dec 2019 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Dec 2019 23:52

Lower West
leon You can’t have Ejaria and Adam on the same pitch. Adam offered more end product.

To win home games Bowen has to take risks. Better to be offensive than sit with 5 at the back and invite pressure onto ourselves. Given the limited resources available today.

Fair point. You have to go with what you’ve got and take the lack of midfield defensive cover.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 00:03

AthleticoSpizz Indeed ‘URZZ’

Lots of mitigation’s for you (and others) negativity out there.

Today, just take it for what it was, 3 points against a problemed team who is still looking for its own cohesive way ahead.
However, do not denigrate our own teams day in the sun...we had players missing too

Delighted that those who filled-in played without any worthy criticism.

Hopefully it’s also a good learning curve playing against 10 men, today was the first time since the opening game of the season IIRC

On a separate note, I thought the jeers for Martin were a disgrace and bang out of order when you consider what he was going through at the time he was with us

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Dec 2019 00:09

Again, agree

Took no part in the booing....don’t we save that sort of thing for our own players after all?

Nice to see Hamer pressing the flesh after the game

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 22 Dec 2019 08:11

We must be doing something right !! currently 16th in the table- but only the top 12 and us with a positive GD.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 22 Dec 2019 08:31

Well played Charlie Adam :D

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 22 Dec 2019 09:00

Just watched extended highlights plus some of the full match and from what I saw, the performance, especially second half looked pretty good and better than I expected from the comments on here. Swift class as ever but Meite and João I thought looked good, plus Baldock good as well. Obs playing against 10 men virtually the whole game makes a huge difference but made them work and once they tired Reading seemed to make loads of chances and were unlucky not to score more.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Dec 2019 09:18

Can confirm to you all now that the Derby penalty shout was dealt with superbly by the ref. It is unmistakably a dive. Adam nowhere near touching him.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 22 Dec 2019 09:24

Westwood52 Strange game;at times Derby with ten men looked better than us in the 1st half and then they went mental come 2nd half.At one time they had seven players on the pitch on yellow cards with one off following a straight red.There should also have been another Derby straight red on the 2nd penalty.
Yet only Gunter had a poorish game and there were a couple of very good performances.It seems forever that we are just ten percent off being a really good team.

IMHO
Rafael 6 Solid .couple of regulation saves and one really good one.
Gunte 5 If only he had a bit of self belief.
Blackett 6 One brain fade 2nd half ,but generally good.Unlucky with the yellow.
Moore 9 At his best.
Morrison 6 A very limited player,who believes in safety first ,because he gets caught out when he takes a touch.
Rino 7 Much much better today,seems to have recovered his confidence,up against a really good player in their number 23.
Adam 9 But for a couple of missed passes,would have been ten.Even at his advanced age, makes you realise what a great player he was.However did Blackpool get hold of him.
Ejaria 7 Not at his best today,but still some wonderful bits of play.Over egged it at times however.
Meite 8 The best of Meite today.Suprisingly good penalty.
Jao 7 Just dont know about him,but well taken goal.
Baldock 7 Ran his heart out with some good runs and some great tracking back.Once again however did not quite work for him.

Swiftly Needed the game,poorish start.But got better and better.
Pele Did his job effectively.
Boye Unfortunately did nothing right,there is potentially a good player in there somewhere.

Ref showed his inexperience and lost control at times.Bottled it on the red for the 2nd pen,but fair does on the red so early in the game and the dive by the Derby player.Not helped by his linesmen.

Derby will moan about all the cards,but they were fully justified.

TBF about Gunter .In the first half Adam passed to him out wide twice,and only a very fine athlete would have got to them and put in the crosses.Both times he also took a clattering against the boards.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 09:30

NewCorkSeth Can confirm to you all now that the Derby penalty shout was dealt with superbly by the ref. It is unmistakably a dive. Adam nowhere near touching him.

Fair enough although the ref should have booked him. I was right behind that goal and my immediate reaction was that it was a pen probably as I am glass half empty :D

187 posts