BFTG - Derby

187 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Derby

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Dec 2019 13:12

Derby-supporting mate who went to their 1-0 home defeat by Millwall last week told me to look out for Dwayne Holmes (their no. 25).
So I did and thought he was outstanding-for his size very strong and also delivers a good long throw and his commitment showed when he knocked Meite over early on (Meite is a bit of a softy though isn't he?).

Pre-game I thought Bowen did the right thing in playing a very attacking side against a team that he described as brittle in the morning paper and have gone 5 games away, losing all of them and not scoring a single goal- make that 6 games.

A strange game -I didn't think it was particularly dirty but what a nice change to get a homer as a ref-we have waited a while.

Like Zip, not being far away from the incident I thought the Adam "tackle" had to be a penalty but obviously pleased that the ref saw it differently.

Those passes from Adam to Blackett in the first half were outstanding but unfortunately his crossing was poor although he played a gem in the 2nd half where Meite crashed into Baldock.

A very important win and good for the confidence.
Thoughts went back to an Elm Park game under McGhee against Stoke who eventually went down to 9 men and we passed them to death to win 4-0.
This isn't a great passing side but we won't be playing against 10 every week for nearly 90 minutes so I'll take what and where we are now, a team with plenty of effort , with some ability and probably good enough to end up in mid-table like a typical Championship side such as Birmingham or Blackburn.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 13:13

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth At the moment. But upon Puscas' return he can hardly ignore him. Reckon our leading goalscorer slides back into the team unless Baldock scores regularly.

Lol. Puscas undoubtedly 4th choice for me, with little way back for now without scoring off the bench a few times.

Needs time to adapt to Championship football etc. Yesterday was some of the most fluid link up front play for some time. Intelligent movement and passing. What the team needs is a decent CDM to shield the back 4.

Oh yeah, potential bright future, but it's not really happening for him right now. Drawing too many blanks and struggling against Championship defences.

TadleyURZ

by TadleyURZ » 22 Dec 2019 13:19

I must have had too much pre game Christmas Cheer because I didn’t think Adam was that good. Lots of sideways and backwards stuff with the attempted defence splitting pass often being wayward. Derby carved through the midfield with ease as well and really could have been in front at the break. You certainly couldn’t tell they were a player light. We seemed to have a bit more urgency after the break and the introduction of swift made a difference, it was the right sub at the right time. Best players imo were Baldock who made great runs time and time again without the service they deserved and Meite who worked his socks off and got the goal that killed the game. If I’m honest I’d rather we played a little more direct ( not long ball) but one and two touch progressive football, however given it was a 3 nil win I’m not going to complain. URZ

Barb

by Barb » 22 Dec 2019 14:22

Jack Celliers It was good. We were never going to lose and deserved the 3-0 win. Adam was a world-beater for half an hour, and that was enough really. Joao was very good and Ejaria is the best player in the division. I suppose they all played well, including the subs.

The highlights didn't show the Adams foul that didn't lead to a penalty, but the ref seemed to get the other penalty decisions right. It isn't the best rule in the world though. Is the gentle push in the back really a more serious offence than the mowing tackle that had a 1% chance of getting the ball?

A bit of trickery twice a game in non threatening positions doesn't make a player the best player in the division. He flatters to deceive and needs to be rested.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 14:58

sandman
St Pauli Thought about going to this but I had to meet a friend in London.

By the time I got to Reading it had already kicked off so watched the results come in the Railway club.

Still, managed to make it to the Nags for the carols and managed to notch up a Wax Jacket spotted whilst I was in there so all in all a pretty good day.

Sorry but Seb does this joke a lot better than you do, StP.

Tbf I think anyone would

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 22 Dec 2019 15:40

Hound It’s very much Baldock +1 for me at the moment. Either Joao or Puscas a good foil for him

Meite looks far happier back on the right. McCleary can cover him

^^ That. Baldock gives us an outlet and a runner

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Dec 2019 15:48

Lol that anyone is even questioning Puscas starting. João has done very well indeed and I was the first iirc to sing his praises boldly on here giving him a 10/10 rating in an early game. Good player and I'll always have time for him. Same with Meite if only for his excellent chant.

Puscas had a loss of confidence but has scored some immense goals and we a have a lot to see from him. He has bags of ability and can terrorise a defence singlehandedly like noone else can when on form.

Baldock is a new man under Bowen and his workrate and acceleration are fantastic.

BUT to me is all about partnership though. Much as I love João and Meite it's all about partnership and the only credible partnership I've seen is that if Puscas and Baldock. The work very well with each other and the is greater than the sum of their parts.

A great 'problem' to have.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 15:49

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth Can confirm to you all now that the Derby penalty shout was dealt with superbly by the ref. It is unmistakably a dive. Adam nowhere near touching him.

Fair enough although the ref should have booked him. I was right behind that goal and my immediate reaction was that it was a pen probably as I am glass half empty :D

The ref should have booked who? The diver? He did. It was a very well simulated dive. Amazing the ref didnt buy it.

Fair enough if he booked in. I can’t recall that he did.

TadleyURZ

by TadleyURZ » 22 Dec 2019 16:24

I must have had to much pre Christmas cheer because I didn't think Adam was that good, He passed sideways and backwards a lot but the passes that could have unlocked their defence often were over or under hit. Derby then glided past him like he was not there. On another day we could have been behind at the break. I thought we were better in the second half, the introduction of Swift def helped and we looked a bit more positive going forward. I thought Baldocks work rate was incredible, the amount of runs he made without receiving the ball... didn't let it get to him, a great shift. Meite was equally hardworking.. All in all an enjoyable afternoon

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Dec 2019 17:41

I thought we were really sloppy for great spells but had enough to beat an increasingly tired and ill-disciplined Derby side.

Penalty 1: two handed shove, correct decision, and glad Adam notched. He was mostly good, but a few issues with pace and positioning.

Well-worked second, crisp passing.

Penalty 2: borderline red, but you can see it as some attempt to play the ball. Meite worked hard but his positional awareness was all over the shop first half, and part of the reason we were disjointed first half.

Winning when we've played poorly is how you get through a season. Merry Christmas!

Barb

by Barb » 22 Dec 2019 18:11

We've played exactly half the season. Does anyone know how many points we had at this stage last season?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 18:12

Barb We've played exactly half the season. Does anyone know how many points we had at this stage last season?

We only playing 44 games this season?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 18:19

Barb We've played exactly half the season. Does anyone know how many points we had at this stage last season?

Not sure but after we got hammered by Swansea on New Years Day we had played 26 games and picked up just 20 points.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Dec 2019 18:31

We haven't played half a season because of the postponed game against Forest but after 22 games last season we had 19 points.

Barb

by Barb » 22 Dec 2019 18:37

tidus_mi2

We haven't played half a season because of the postponed game against Forest but after 22 games last season we had 19 points.

Oops thought we had played 23.

So some improvent at least.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Dec 2019 18:47

Zip

Not sure but after we got hammered by Swansea on New Years Day we had played 26 games and picked up just 20 points.

Under Bowen's stewardship the team has 18 points from a possible 33 so far.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 19:00

Lower West
Zip

Beat the fakes and 21 points from 12 games would be very impressive.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 19:07

Zip
Lower West
Zip

Beat the fakes and 21 points from 12 games would be very impressive.

It's almost like the handwringing and talking of pressure before Derby was all a bit over the top.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 19:24

Except there was pressure on Derby because we don’t play a team below 14th now until Wednesday 26th February. Now we may go win all the next 11 games or so but looking at probabilities, Derby was our biggest chance of a win by quite a margin and we didn’t want to go into the back of those fixtures with 1 win in 7 against some of the worse teams in the league

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 20:25

Zip

Ah, happy days :)

187 posts