BFTG - Derby

187 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Derby

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Dec 2019 11:39

Seems like people just dont want to admit they were wrong about him. Early on people took the "Joao is a 1 in 4 games player" on board and cant leave it behind. Think it's because he has a languid playing style. Imo he has proven his ability to be the fulcrum we need in attack. Right now hes a must play. Finding out which striker pairs best with him is the next conundrum.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 11:39

Yep, though cliche that it is, that’s his job to solve the make up of the team. We do look good for lower mid table at the moment and that’s probably job done to an extent

My concern is if a top champ or Prem club fancy taking a shot on Swift in Jan - we are half the team without him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 11:40

NewCorkSeth Seems like people just dont want to admit they were wrong about him. Early on people took the "Joao is a 1 in 4 games player" on board and cant leave it behind. Think it's because he has a languid playing style. Imo he has proven his ability to be the fulcrum we need in attack. Right now hes a must play. Finding out which striker pairs best with him is the next conundrum.

Undoubtedly Baldock

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 11:45

NewCorkSeth Seems like people just dont want to admit they were wrong about him. Early on people took the "Joao is a 1 in 4 games player" on board and cant leave it behind. Think it's because he has a languid playing style. Imo he has proven his ability to be the fulcrum we need in attack. Right now hes a must play. Finding out which striker pairs best with him is the next conundrum.

Disagree here

Baldock is the must play striker. At the moment, Joao has the shirt and is playing well enough but his work rate must improve. Baldock is one of those strikers who won’t get you tons of goals but is probably a dream for most strikers to play with. And he has more intelligence than the other four put together

Although to be fair, Boye did link well with Joao towards the end. Just a shame Boye’s end product was woeful

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Dec 2019 11:45

Hound

Undoubtedly Baldock

At the moment. But upon Puscas' return he can hardly ignore him. Reckon our leading goalscorer slides back into the team unless Baldock scores regularly.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 22 Dec 2019 11:47

Royal Rother Cannot believe I have just read suggestions that Ejaria should be on the bench. :shock:

He is the best player I’ve seen in a Reading shirt for years. He won’t do it every single game but if fit it would be ridiculous not to start with him.

+1

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Dec 2019 11:49

URZZZZ

Disagree here

Baldock is the must play striker. At the moment, Joao has the shirt and is playing well enough but his work rate must improve. Baldock is one of those strikers who won’t get you tons of goals but is probably a dream for most strikers to play with. And he has more intelligence than the other four put together

Although to be fair, Boye did link well with Joao towards the end. Just a shame Boye’s end product was woeful

I couldn't possibly comment on that last part.

Joao is just one of those players. Like Anelka was. Or Berbatov. What they are capable of doing outweighs the fact that they look bored just being on the pitch. Joao offers something nobody else in the team does. It's no surprise his aerial wins and goals have shot up since he got an extended run. Without him we lack a proper fulcrum. We would probably get by on Swift and Ejarias creativity but with him we have another feather in our cap.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 11:50

It’s very much Baldock +1 for me at the moment. Either Joao or Puscas a good foil for him

Meite looks far happier back on the right. McCleary can cover him

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 11:53

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Disagree here

Joao is just one of those players. Like Anelka was. Or Berbatov. What they are capable of doing outweighs the fact that they look bored just being on the pitch. Joao offers something nobody else in the team does. It's no surprise his aerial wins and goals have shot up since he got an extended run. Without him we lack a proper fulcrum. We would probably get by on Swift and Ejarias creativity but with him we have another feather in our cap.

Thing is, for me, Joao and Puscas are the sort of players that range from a 4-8 from week to week. So as a duo, like against Cardiff they can flourish. Or they can stink the place out, like against Charlton

But with Baldock you’ll generally always get a 6/7 out of 10. He does the hard work, the graft, on which Puscas and Joao can play off

So I’d always start Baldock and another. And then maybe chasing the game, take Baldock off for the other one and use their unpredictability. And then use Boye :wink: holding onto a lead for his energy. The Simon Church role

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 11:54

Hound It’s very much Baldock +1 for me at the moment. Either Joao or Puscas a good foil for him

Meite looks far happier back on the right. McCleary can cover him

Was surprised McCleary wasn’t brought on yesterday, I thought his width could have been useful but we had a strong bench yesterday

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Dec 2019 11:59

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Disagree here

Thing is, for me, Joao and Puscas are the sort of players that range from a 4-8 from week to week. So as a duo, like against Cardiff they can flourish. Or they can stink the place out, like against Charlton

But with Baldock you’ll generally always get a 6/7 out of 10. He does the hard work, the graft, on which Puscas and Joao can play off

So I’d always start Baldock and another. And then maybe chasing the game, take Baldock off for the other one and use their unpredictability. And then use Boye :wink: holding onto a lead for his energy. The Simon Church role

To be clear for everyone I am not arguing that Baldock isnt good or hasn't been playing well. I just value what Joao brings to our team slightly more. I understand why others prefer the hard work of Baldock. Both are great to have. I just assume Puscas comes back into the team and based on my preferences i would rather see him paired with Joao.

A frequent problem for Puscas was that he makes runs off the shoulder of the last man when we have the ball in the final 3rd. Based on Joao's pass to Baldock yesterday and his overall game I think Puscas would find more success playing with Joao than Baldock. Still. It does feel harsh either way.

I dont know what you are referring to in that final part. It may as well have been gibberish :?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 22 Dec 2019 12:19

Thought about going to this but I had to meet a friend in London.

By the time I got to Reading it had already kicked off so watched the results come in the Railway club.

Still, managed to make it to the Nags for the carols and managed to notch up a Wax Jacket spotted whilst I was in there so all in all a pretty good day.

Barb

by Barb » 22 Dec 2019 12:27

I don't know why the Derby players chopped Meite and João for the penalties, neither would have scored :lol:

Yeah, first half I just do t know why we sat so deep against 10 men, it seems to be a Bowen thing and just allowed them so much space in midfield.

Second half I think he sorted this and we played ok.

People have this perception that against 10 men you'll dominate. We didn't do well enough but to be honest, I was never terrified that we'd lose like I usually am.

3 points is 3 points.

QPR will beat us.

Barb

by Barb » 22 Dec 2019 12:46

Hound Regarding the OP - Joao set up the first with a bit of magic and scored the second. Certainly wasn’t woeful

Midfield was wrong first half and we totally lost the battle there. Good subs to bring on Swift and Pele and we bossed it from that point and could have scored more/ Derby had more sent off

Get Miazga back in, Swift/Pele/Ovie in midfield and Yiadom back and there’s a decent team there

Unfortunately I think Miazga isn't anywhere as good as we thought he would be last season. He's like passing past a statue at times. Very basic. Would have loved Bauer or however you spell him from Charlton.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2019 12:58

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Westwood52

Adam 9 But for a couple of missed passes,would have been ten.Even at his advanced age, makes you realise what a great player he was.However did Blackpool get hold of him.

:shock: :shock:

Shocking passing since the goal and too slow. 6 tops.

Only thing shocking about his passing is he wanted to go forward with it. I know it's an alien concept in the last few years...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Dec 2019 13:02

St Pauli Thought about going to this but I had to meet a friend in London.

By the time I got to Reading it had already kicked off so watched the results come in the Railway club.

Still, managed to make it to the Nags for the carols and managed to notch up a Wax Jacket spotted whilst I was in there so all in all a pretty good day.

Sorry but Seb does this joke a lot better than you do, StP.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 13:03

URZZZZ

Disagree here

Baldock with Joao or Meite for me. These two bring different things. Meite is strength and work rate, Joao is guile and skill.

I don't think Joao has a deceptively languid style. He just actually has a low work rate out of possession. That's fine as long as the rest of the team can cope and he's getting and creating chances.

I'd argue that Joao, Swift and Ejaria in the same XI is way too intricate a playing style, not enough width and too little genuine graft.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 22 Dec 2019 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Dec 2019 13:05

NewCorkSeth
Hound

Undoubtedly Baldock

At the moment. But upon Puscas' return he can hardly ignore him. Reckon our leading goalscorer slides back into the team unless Baldock scores regularly.

Lol. Puscas undoubtedly 4th choice for me, with little way back for now without scoring off the bench a few times.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Dec 2019 13:07

sandman
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Westwood52

Adam 9 But for a couple of missed passes,would have been ten.Even at his advanced age, makes you realise what a great player he was.However did Blackpool get hold of him.

:shock: :shock:

Shocking passing since the goal and too slow. 6 tops.

Only thing shocking about his passing is he wanted to go forward with it. I know it's an alien concept in the last few years...

I called him out best player on the pitch in recent games for his excellent forward passes but yesterday after the goal it didn't matter which way he was passing it just wasn't working for him a lot of the time.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Dec 2019 13:11

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Hound
Undoubtedly Baldock

Lol. Puscas undoubtedly 4th choice for me, with little way back for now without scoring off the bench a few times.

Needs time to adapt to Championship football etc. Yesterday was some of the most fluid link up front play for some time. Intelligent movement and passing. What the team needs is a decent CDM to shield the back 4.

187 posts