BFTG QPR

147 posts
The Cube

Re: BFTG QPR

by The Cube » 27 Dec 2019 14:09

paultheroyal Excellent defensive performance. People slating Gunter (who was actually decent) can’t even bring themselves to acknowledge being in the right place to clear that shot off the line, dreary me.

Might be because that was Morrison.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Dec 2019 14:13

The Cube
paultheroyal Excellent defensive performance. People slating Gunter (who was actually decent) can’t even bring themselves to acknowledge being in the right place to clear that shot off the line, dreary me.

Gunter should still get the credit for it though.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 27 Dec 2019 14:18

The Eze situation is strange.
He was just as good during last years game,yet no one came in for him during the summer.
As to Ejaria what price are we expected to pay at the end of season ?His lack of end product,for all his skills probably put the big boys off.

Swift doubters will be concerned about his lack of pace and physicality.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Dec 2019 14:56

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound Gunter was very good I thought - set up 3 very good chances as well (Ejaria and the two Joao efforts)

Be interesting to see what Bowen does when Yiadom is back fit. I wouldnt be totally against/surprised if he puts Yiadom RM and goes 4-4-2

He put in four or five good crosses during the game. How often does Yids do that?

Yids just wants to cut inside and take defenders on too much.

He's a great outlet to carry the ball forward, but if he'd just go outside occasionally and cross more he'd be so much better.

He's ahead of Gunts for me, but no need to rush him back. Think I'd prefer Meite or McCleary RW over Yids.

Meite and Joao are chipping in quite regularly at the moment so have to play IMO.

Agree with all of that. Yids has the edge over Gunter although the latter is a better passer and crosser. However Yiadom is the more tenacious and effective defender.
Yaks isn’t pretty to watch but he is effective and justifies his place in the team.
I think Joao is coming along nicely and better all round player than Puscas right now.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Dec 2019 15:01

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
He put in four or five good crosses during the game. How often does Yids do that?

Yids just wants to cut inside and take defenders on too much.

He's a great outlet to carry the ball forward, but if he'd just go outside occasionally and cross more he'd be so much better.

He's ahead of Gunts for me, but no need to rush him back. Think I'd prefer Meite or McCleary RW over Yids.

Meite and Joao are chipping in quite regularly at the moment so have to play IMO.

Agree with all of that. Yids has the edge over Gunter although the latter is a better passer and crosser. However Yiadom is the more tenacious and effective defender.
Yaks isn’t pretty to watch but he is effective and justifies his place in the team.
I think Joao is coming along nicely and better all round player than Puscas right now.

I'm really not sure Yiadom is that much of a better defender to be honest, his positioning at times is really poor. The stats on goals conceded, whilst aren't conclusive, does give a backbone to the claim

I just really wish Gunter would be braver at times. Make that overlapping run, stop being so cautious

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Dec 2019 15:07

URZZZZ
Zip
Snowflake Royal Yids just wants to cut inside and take defenders on too much.

I'm really not sure Yiadom is that much of a better defender to be honest, his positioning at times is really poor. The stats on goals conceded, whilst aren't conclusive, does give a backbone to the claim

I just really wish Gunter would be braver at times. Make that overlapping run, stop being so cautious

In his defence if he keeps bombing forward he does have to get back too. He was playing as a conventional full back last night and did more than enough going forward.How many crosses did Blackett manage last night?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Dec 2019 15:10

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

In his defence if he keeps bombing forward he does have to get back too. He was playing as a conventional full back last night and did more than enough going forward.How many crosses did Blackett manage last night?

Don’t remember too many. I do remember one low cross he put in which was decent and was just cleared away for a corner

On Gunter, it’s more of a general point rather than a game specific based one. He probably put in more crosses today than his last four combined

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2019 15:14

2 world wars, 1 world cup
The Cube

Gunter should still get the credit for it though.

:lol:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Dec 2019 15:18

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Don’t remember too many. I do remember one low cross he put in which was decent and was just cleared away for a corner

On Gunter, it’s more of a general point rather than a game specific based one. He probably put in more crosses today than his last four combined

I think Gunts has been better going forward. Remember Brum final game last season? He put in some terrific crosses in that game. There were times last night where Yaks didn’t help him. On one occasion Gunter was moving forward with the ball in Meite’s direction. Yaks just stood still instead of running down the line. On other occasions they combined pretty well apart from that one pass from Yaks which went straight out of play.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 27 Dec 2019 15:22

I know Gunter divides opinion but you have to admire his fitness levels, to come back in to the first team and cover the miles he does is amazing really. I think he has been decent since he has been back in the team, the odd lapse, but every player does from time to time, that’s why they are playing in the Second Division.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2019 15:23

There were still a few times when Gunter frustratingly turned and passed backwards and took the easy option but generally a lot better than the last couple of years

One of those players you think will take on board how Bowen wants to use him. He’s going to be difficult to drop

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Dec 2019 15:31

I do think there is more focus on Gunter not pushing forward compared to our other full backs. He got forward as much and probably more than Blackett last night. Baffles me a bit.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Dec 2019 15:34

Bit annoying that there’s a chance 5 of our next 6 leagues game could be away, presuming one of us and Bristol go through and it isn’t rearranged straight after

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Dec 2019 15:36

Zip I do think there is more focus on Gunter not pushing forward compared to our other full backs. He got forward as much and probably more than Blackett last night. Baffles me a bit.

Because we’ve been prone to seeing Gunter do this for years and years now, that’s why

It’s just odd really. It’s not like he can’t occasionally put a really good cross in, he just seems reluctant at times, and he was physically hiding at times on Saturday behind his marker with acres of space in front of him. That is what is frustrating, the sense that at times he hides so he can’t receive the ball

But he was good yesterday. A possible contender for MOTM and should have had at least one assist

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Dec 2019 15:44

URZZZZ
Zip I do think there is more focus on Gunter not pushing forward compared to our other full backs. He got forward as much and probably more than Blackett last night. Baffles me a bit.

Because we’ve been prone to seeing Gunter do this for years and years now, that’s why

It’s just odd really. It’s not like he can’t occasionally put a really good cross in, he just seems reluctant at times, and he was physically hiding at times on Saturday behind his marker with acres of space in front of him. That is what is frustrating, the sense that at times he hides so he can’t receive the ball

But he was good yesterday. A possible contender for MOTM and should have had at least one assist

I think it’s overstated. He puts in as many crosses as any of our other fullbacks and I don’t see the same level of criticism aimed at them. He does have a habit of moving forward with the ball, stopping and passing back. I do find that side of his game frustrating.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Dec 2019 16:13

Zip
URZZZZ

I think it’s overstated. He puts in as many crosses as any of our other fullbacks and I don’t see the same level of criticism aimed at them. He does have a habit of moving forward with the ball, stopping and passing back. I do find that side of his game frustrating.

Do wonder whether Stam ruined him a bit with the backpassy stuff.
Yes we were a bit dopey at times in defence but I just want to say how refreshing that was that from minute 1 we were on the front foot and got a grip of the game and created chances (shame the finishing isn't a bit better). I only hope we can do that more often at home.
Its easy to pick on Gunter but to be honest, time and time again he made runs and got the ball in the box........a trait we have really missed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Dec 2019 16:42

Zip
URZZZZ

Yiadom doesn't contribute in attack with crosses though, his input is different, and he gets plenty of criticism for not crossing.

Gunter is undoubtedly better when the ethos isn't safe short passing and possession retention. But even under Bowen's more direct high paced philosophy his natural inclination is safe and easy.

Great back up fullback, because you know he'll be a 6 or 7 out of 10 safe performance. But he just doesn't carry the team forward the way a Yiadom, Shorey, Griffin, Bertrand, Obita etc would.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Dec 2019 16:45

Ascotexgunner
Zip
URZZZZ

Do wonder whether Stam ruined him a bit with the backpassy stuff.
Yes we were a bit dopey at times in defence but I just want to say how refreshing that was that from minute 1 we were on the front foot and got a grip of the game and created chances (shame the finishing isn't a bit better). I only hope we can do that more often at home.
Its easy to pick on Gunter but to be honest, time and time again he made runs and got the ball in the box........a trait we have really missed.

Yeah I've asked this question on here. Some says he's always been like this but I reckon Stamball ruined him or at last made him worse if it's his natural inclination anyway. The big positive about Gunter we hear all the time is his athleticism: there's no point in having all that stamina if you don't use it running forward every now and then. From what I've seen Yiadom has more stamina, is far more dangerous going forward and puts in a shift defending too, even at 5-3-2. Gunter has to show why he should be ahead of Yiadom and good as he may be I've not seen anything to prove that yet. A good battle to have at right back.

I wish I could say the same for left back!

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Dec 2019 16:55

Barb Ejaria will make every highlights reel for some skill somewhere on the halfway line but really doesn't effect the game in any way. I really do t know why people cream over him.

We need a revamp at fullback and stop giving so much time away in midfield.

We haven't had a decent fullback in years. Obits won POTS a few years backs s our fullbacks were so poor and people were surprised that he was better when he moved there, but he still want fantastic. After his injury he will never be the same, and will rarely have more than two games a month in him.

Yiadom is ok, but not what I would call a solid full back.

At the start of season Ejaria was effective whilst skilful - its only really since he's come back from injury that it seems to be stepovers for the sake of it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Dec 2019 16:56

Hound There were still a few times when Gunter frustratingly turned and passed backwards and took the easy option but generally a lot better than the last couple of years

One of those players you think will take on board how Bowen wants to use him. He’s going to be difficult to drop

Will he? Yiadom was in terrific form.

147 posts