Rafael

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JimmytheJim

Rafael

by JimmytheJim » 30 Dec 2019 14:50

Four clean sheets on the bounce, gloves of gossamer, face of steel: it's about time our Brazilian stopper got his own thread.

Emi Martínez showed last season how important a good keeper can be, and after starting the season with Everton's u19 goalie gamely flapping his arms about between the sticks, it's a real bonus to find ourselves happy with our number 1 at this stage of the season.

For the first time in years, our defence is really solid, and the big Brazilian is at the heart of that transformation.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rafael

by 3points » 30 Dec 2019 15:10

Getting Virginia may have been a blessing in disguise. If he hadn’t made a couple of complete howlers early doors, then Gomes may not have gone into the market for another keeper before the end of the window. It now seems we’ve got ourselves a decent keeper on a free transfer

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Dec 2019 17:14

He's been a great signing, just what we needed in having experience at the highest level in both Europe and South America. He's pretty sound on all the fundamentals and he's getting better and better which suggests he's settled well. I imagine it's helped that we have 2 native Portuguese speakers in the squad with prior experience in English football.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Dec 2019 20:51

JimmytheJim Four clean sheets on the bounce, gloves of gossamer, face of steel: it's about time our Brazilian stopper got his own thread.

Emi Martínez showed last season how important a good keeper can be, and after starting the season with Everton's u19 goalie gamely flapping his arms about between the sticks, it's a real bonus to find ourselves happy with our number 1 at this stage of the season.

For the first time in years, our defence is really solid, and the big Brazilian is at the heart of that transformation.

Ian Royal will be the judge of that.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 30 Dec 2019 21:48

Cabral is I believe his chosen name. Should of been our Man of the Match in loads of games this year but that honor goes to the goal scorers. Clean sheets are far more important, without them, the chance of winning diminishes.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Jan 2020 03:40

Another incredible series of saves v Fulham. Very lucky to have this guy at our club, what an inspiring signing by the owners.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jan 2020 07:14

percy_freeman Cabral is I believe his chosen name. Should of been our Man of the Match in loads of games this year but that honor goes to the goal scorers. Clean sheets are far more important, without them, the chance of winning diminishes.

Loads of teams win games without keeping a clean sheet. It’s almost impossible to win a league match with a zero ‘,goals for’ column.
But MotM awards are often bizarre, luckily they are also pretty meaningless, players don’t care about them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jan 2020 08:50

Nameless
percy_freeman Cabral is I believe his chosen name. Should of been our Man of the Match in loads of games this year but that honor goes to the goal scorers. Clean sheets are far more important, without them, the chance of winning diminishes.

Loads of teams win games without keeping a clean sheet. It’s almost impossible to win a league match with a zero ‘,goals for’ column.
But MotM awards are often bizarre, luckily they are also pretty meaningless, players don’t care about them.

You need both realistically. What's striking me about Rafael at the moment is not only his saves but the importance of them. If Fulham had scored the triple chance at 0-0, we'd have been chasing the game against a quality side, which is an entirely different challenge. Who knows if we'd have pulled it back. Then you have late saves to secure the win against QPR and Fulham. It's not beyond question that he has been worth 5 points over the 2 games. Far more valuable than a keeper who keeps the scoreline respectable in a struggling team.

Clean sheets and goals are ultimately equally important, and it's great to have a keeper who can win us points at key moments.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Jan 2020 09:11

This guy is class. Thought it the moment I first saw him between the sticks. What is it with Brazilian goalies at the moment?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jan 2020 11:39

Jagermesiter1871 This guy is class. Thought it the moment I first saw him between the sticks. What is it with Brazilian goalies at the moment?

Absolutely, in the 70's Brazilian keepers were, in general, rubbish. They've come a long way.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jan 2020 12:25

Not sure that's true - goals win games. At this level especially.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 12:36

Franchise FC
Jagermesiter1871 This guy is class. Thought it the moment I first saw him between the sticks. What is it with Brazilian goalies at the moment?

Absolutely, in the 70's Brazilian keepers were, in general, rubbish. They've come a long way.

tbf back then the Brazlian teams could have played without a keeper and won the majority of games.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 02 Jan 2020 13:01

Could have been MotM for each of the 3 games prior to Fulham (didn't see that as didn't realise it was on the red button).

v Derby - made some hugely important saves to keep us 1-0 at half time
v QPR - couple of saves to keep us 1-0
v Preston - one big flying tip over the bar and other important saves to keep us at 2-0 second half

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 02 Jan 2020 13:17

So nice not to be nervous when the ball goes anywhere near the goal and the confidence having a solid goalkeeper playing for you brings, almost to the level of Shaka and Marcus from the past.

The calmness and authority he brings definitely rubs off on the back four/five who seem so much more confident in recent weeks. Morrison has been immense too,Barnsley slight hiccup aside as everyone’s allowed an occasional off day!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2020 13:50

I'd say he's he's had the strongest pedigree of any keeper we've signed. Under 30, top flight and continental club experience on the 2 continents that really matter so the fact that he's doing well isn't a surprise.

I'm still surprised that we actually managed to sign him but I suppose that's the benefit if playing in a competative league and having state of the art facilities. I think Bearwood is absolutely key in attracting players of his calibre. It goes back to something Bowen said when he was DoF about getting the little details right so that the only thing the players have to worry about is playing football.

Don't want to diverge from Rafael too far but I think the owners deserve a lot of credit. They're remaining pretty low-key but are investing well and, although, they have made some mistakes, they aren't afraid to make timely changes where necessary and they seem to be getting recruitment right in key areas throughout the club. Shame they weren't about in 2012.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jan 2020 14:25

From Despair To Where? I'd say he's he's had the strongest pedigree of any keeper we've signed. Under 30, top flight and continental club experience on the 2 continents that really matter so the fact that he's doing well isn't a surprise.

I'm still surprised that we actually managed to sign him but I suppose that's the benefit if playing in a competative league and having state of the art facilities. I think Bearwood is absolutely key in attracting players of his calibre. It goes back to something Bowen said when he was DoF about getting the little details right so that the only thing the players have to worry about is playing football.

Don't want to diverge from Rafael too far but I think the owners deserve a lot of credit. They're remaining pretty low-key but are investing well and, although, they have made some mistakes, they aren't afraid to make timely changes where necessary and they seem to be getting recruitment right in key areas throughout the club. Shame they weren't about in 2012.

Owners seem fab to be fair. Bearwood, away travel, consistently backing managers in transfer market. The big issue was that they put their trust in the wrong guy, namely Gourlay. Now Howe is back at the helm, hopefully they'll start seeing a return on their investment.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 14:35

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where? I'd say he's he's had the strongest pedigree of any keeper we've signed. Under 30, top flight and continental club experience on the 2 continents that really matter so the fact that he's doing well isn't a surprise.

Owners seem fab to be fair. Bearwood, away travel, consistently backing managers in transfer market. The big issue was that they put their trust in the wrong guy, namely Gourlay. Now Howe is back at the helm, hopefully they'll start seeing a return on their investment.

I don't blame them for Gourlay, I bet the slimy bastard buttered them up real good with all of his flannel about "big European nights" and dazzled them by having Manchester United and Chelsea on his CV. They would have had no reason to not trust him, I think they acted in good faith but were royally screwed over by him as we all were. Fat cnut.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2020 14:44

They appointed Gourlay but they also had the good sense to get rid of him and since then, recruitment has been vastly improved IMO.

Making mistakes doesn't bother me that much as long as they learn from them.

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1