Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h) sponsored by cup fever

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jan 2020 19:03

Snowball
Old Man Andrews
What has Aluko ever done for us?

Straight Roads

Central Heating

Oh, sorry, wrong thread

Third time this festive period I have seen someone make that joke.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 19:04

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
These are the games he featured under Gomes last year:

QPR - was good that day
Swansea - not great, but one of the brighter sparks
United - good impact off the bench
Derby - good impact off the bench
Bolton - did quite well
Villa - small cameo appearance
Wednesday - again, was one of our brighter players
Blackburn - was poor and subbed off at half time

He also started the season quite well, with a couple of good performances against Derby and Blackburn. Just a shame he had a few stinkers in September and October but coincidentally, these were all games he was shunted out to the right wing with Gunter behind him!

I’m not sure the stats for Barrow but IIRC up until the time Aluko went, he himself had 1 goal and about 2/3 assists. Yet people were clamouring him for to start every week. Different standards for different players etc etc...

Here's the question though URZ. What has Aluko done to get in the team ahead of the far less costly Olise, Barrett, McCleary, Loader and Boye if we're playing a changed XI.

This is an opportunity to keep McCleary happy after his hard work. Or to test the younger players and reward them. Or to check out Boye.

Why on Earth re-incorporate an expensive failure who was shipped out when we had a squad with attitude and application problem, when there are actual players waiting who have participated in our recovery?

Bugger that.

Agree with Kitsondinho. But in response to your question:

Barrett - been here over 4 seasons now. Contributed very little. Rumours are he’s going in Jan anyway to a L1/2 team. Not sure it’s worth playing him if he’s on his way out

Olise - I agree and have said that I wouldn’t mind Aluko playing but not if it’s going to impede Olise. I really rate this kid and think he’ll go far and I certainly don’t want Aluko playing over him

McCleary - id concentrate on playing Garath RM, he was pretty poor in his appearances as a CM. I’ve already said I don’t want to see Aluko out wide, and instead as one of the CM’s so don’t see much competition

Loader - only Bowen and himself probably knows his future. The signs indicate he’s gone and he’s out. I’d rather play Aluko who has a small chance of being here after Jan than Loader who most likely has no chance. Now, if Loader is definitely staying, I’d have him over Aluko but I don’t know that

Boye - id also have him over Aluko but again, I’d see Boye as more of a LW so not necessarily competition for Aluko

The reason, as a couple of others have mentioned, that I’d give him a go on Saturday (but from the bench) is just to see if he’s made any progress. There’s something to be gained if he’s a valuable asset and can be utilised for the rest of the season and little to be lost (as long as he’s not blocking young players paths who have a future with us)

We don’t have that many young players ready for the step up if we do make 11 changes on Saturday so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a little go

Barrett's played pretty well when given a chance IMO, and a good showing against Blackpool could add to his value even if he is going, which I kinda hope not. We don't need 11 youngsters to make changes that don't include Aluko on Saturday seeing as the options for playing him are essentially one of the front four. Where we do have plenty of options.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 19:05

Kitsondinho
Old Man Andrews
Kitsondinho He also changed the game away to Derby last season and nearly saved a game we had no right to be still in on 90 mins. That was probably his best 45 mins in a Reading shirt. If he had played like that every week since his arrival, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Yes but he hasn't, that's the point 99% of us are making. He doesn't even put in a decent shift let alone anything else.

He has spent most of his time playing out of position in various systems that don’t suit him. He has never been a player who chases everything. At both Fulham and Hull, he was successful as a Number 10 who could float across the front line and cause havoc on the break. He didn’t drop deep and the only pressing he did was high up. It isn’t just about him being ‘rubbish’, there are more factors at play here. Bowen plays a more direct style of football that should allow Aluko to play to his strengths. If it works and he helps us continue to climb the table, would you be unhappy? If the answer is no, what is the problem with trying him in a cup game against lower league opposition? Hopefully very few of the first team will be anywhere near the squad on Saturday. Why not?

None of that excuses a basic inability to pass or tackle.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 02 Jan 2020 19:15

Westwood52 Tricky selection for Bowen.
We need to concentrate on the league,but a cup run would be nice.
Jao and Moore will be out,plus I would rest Swift and Ovie.

Rafael
Gunter Morrison Miazga Obita
Pele Rino
Barret Olise
Baldock. Meite

This looks about right to me. Maybe Loader somewhere in there?

Yep, if we do get past Blackpool (not that I'm taking it for granted by any means, that's why the Cup is so fascinating), then get someone vulnerable like Spurs or Arsenal at home in the next round and turn them over....could be the highlight of the past few years.

Just what do we support football for - the chance to see a bit of glory or for the club to have a healthy balance sheet?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 02 Jan 2020 19:28

Snowflake Royal
Kitsondinho
Old Man Andrews Yes but he hasn't, that's the point 99% of us are making. He doesn't even put in a decent shift let alone anything else.

He has spent most of his time playing out of position in various systems that don’t suit him. He has never been a player who chases everything. At both Fulham and Hull, he was successful as a Number 10 who could float across the front line and cause havoc on the break. He didn’t drop deep and the only pressing he did was high up. It isn’t just about him being ‘rubbish’, there are more factors at play here. Bowen plays a more direct style of football that should allow Aluko to play to his strengths. If it works and he helps us continue to climb the table, would you be unhappy? If the answer is no, what is the problem with trying him in a cup game against lower league opposition? Hopefully very few of the first team will be anywhere near the squad on Saturday. Why not?

None of that excuses a basic inability to pass or tackle.

Which is why he has played professional football for so long. I’m off to sign for Chelsea in the morning for the same reason :roll:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jan 2020 00:26

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Here's the question though URZ. What has Aluko done to get in the team ahead of the far less costly Olise, Barrett, McCleary, Loader and Boye if we're playing a changed XI.

This is an opportunity to keep McCleary happy after his hard work. Or to test the younger players and reward them. Or to check out Boye.

Why on Earth re-incorporate an expensive failure who was shipped out when we had a squad with attitude and application problem, when there are actual players waiting who have participated in our recovery?

Bugger that.

Barrett - been here over 4 seasons now. Contributed very little. Rumours are he’s going in Jan anyway to a L1/2 team. Not sure it’s worth playing him if he’s on his way out

Olise - I agree and have said that I wouldn’t mind Aluko playing but not if it’s going to impede Olise. I really rate this kid and think he’ll go far and I certainly don’t want Aluko playing over him

McCleary - id concentrate on playing Garath RM, he was pretty poor in his appearances as a CM. I’ve already said I don’t want to see Aluko out wide, and instead as one of the CM’s so don’t see much competition

Loader - only Bowen and himself probably knows his future. The signs indicate he’s gone and he’s out. I’d rather play Aluko who has a small chance of being here after Jan than Loader who most likely has no chance. Now, if Loader is definitely staying, I’d have him over Aluko but I don’t know that

Boye - id also have him over Aluko but again, I’d see Boye as more of a LW so not necessarily competition for Aluko

The reason, as a couple of others have mentioned, that I’d give him a go on Saturday (but from the bench) is just to see if he’s made any progress. There’s something to be gained if he’s a valuable asset and can be utilised for the rest of the season and little to be lost (as long as he’s not blocking young players paths who have a future with us)

We don’t have that many young players ready for the step up if we do make 11 changes on Saturday so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a little go

Barrett's played pretty well when given a chance IMO, and a good showing against Blackpool could add to his value even if he is going, which I kinda hope not. We don't need 11 youngsters to make changes that don't include Aluko on Saturday seeing as the options for playing him are essentially one of the front four. Where we do have plenty of options.

Has Barrett really made an impact though? Swansea away perhaps but has been quite ineffectual in the rest

Similarly Aluko could add to his value against Blackpool if he’s on the way out? Surely we’d get more for Aluko than Barrett?

I don’t think he’ll start, because as you say there is a lot of completion for his spot, but I think he may get a brief cameo off the bench. Who knows though?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2020 07:00

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Has Barrett really made an impact though? Swansea away perhaps but has been quite ineffectual in the rest

Similarly Aluko could add to his value against Blackpool if he’s on the way out? Surely we’d get more for Aluko than Barrett?

I don’t think he’ll start, because as you say there is a lot of completion for his spot, but I think he may get a brief cameo off the bench. Who knows though?

How does one game against lower league opposition add to the value of a player with years of championship experience?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Jan 2020 08:50

Aluko is an interesting one. Option 1 in the window should be to sell him, even for a meagre fee. But, I'm not sure he'll be easy to shift after the last few years. So the next best option is to reintegrate him, especially as we need more wide options.

He's a talented player, and maybe a successful, close knit team will bring the best out of him. On that basis, I'd involve him against Blackpool.

Do we know if McIntyre is fit? If so, my XI would be:

Howe Miazga McIntyre Obita
Rinomhota
Ejaria/Swift Olise
Aluko Baldock Boye

Plenty of rotation, but a strong side.

Barrett can go on the bench. A loan may suit him.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jan 2020 08:53

WestYorksRoyal Aluko is an interesting one. Option 1 in the window should be to sell him, even for a meagre fee. But, I'm not sure he'll be easy to shift after the last few years. So the next best option is to reintegrate him, especially as we need more wide options.

He's a talented player, and maybe a successful, close knit team will bring the best out of him. On that basis, I'd involve him against Blackpool.

Or he will come back with a massive chip on his shoulder and disrupt us. He isn't worthy of a third chance, its not like he had a bad injury that prevented him from playing previously or wasn't given a fair amount of playing time. I have never seen someone looking so disinterested in a Reading shirt in over 30 years supporting the club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 09:05

Moore alluded to some of the players who were shipped out this time last year as not having the right character for a fight. I read that very much as being Aluko.

Maybe a big Bowen kick up the arse will get something out of him. There always seemed to be a complete lack of desire to me when he played - maybe that's unfair, but it genuinely was the thing I disliked about him most. Know its a cliche that I generally don't believe to be true, but it did seem he struck gold with the 4 year deal and no longer needed to prove himself. I just hope the deal was massively incentived, but somehow with Gourlay I doubt it.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 03 Jan 2020 10:29

Pretty certain McIntyre is still injured. I struggle in centre midfield as I'd like Ovie, Adam, Gomes and Swift all to get a rest. Is East back playing for the 23s? If so I'd probably give him some game time.

For me I think I would go with

Walker
Howe Morrison Miazga Obita
McCleary Rino East Boye
Olise
Baldock

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 03 Jan 2020 11:22

Walker
Howe Morrison Miazga Richards
Pele Rinomhota
McCleary Aluko Boye
Loader

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Jan 2020 11:58

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

How does one game against lower league opposition add to the value of a player with years of championship experience?

Shows he still has some form of ability and can still deliver, albeit against lower league opposition

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 03 Jan 2020 12:17

Kitsondinho
Old Man Andrews
Kitsondinho He also changed the game away to Derby last season and nearly saved a game we had no right to be still in on 90 mins. That was probably his best 45 mins in a Reading shirt. If he had played like that every week since his arrival, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Yes but he hasn't, that's the point 99% of us are making. He doesn't even put in a decent shift let alone anything else.

I have to agree with the above. A sensible view and opinion on the whole situation. I'm not really sure how anyone can disagree with it?

I hated Aluko when he played for us last time. So frustrating to watch, but right now, I can't see him having a run out with the 'B' team having a negative impact. Just means that maybe we might get some cash for him. Win win!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2020 12:31

Fine as long as he shows some fight

Very easy for one player to disrupt a good team spirit by not giving a toss

Presumably Bowen won’t let him anywhere near the side if he thinks that is the case though

So yeah no harm in it, if - and it’s a big if - he gives far more to the cause than he did before

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Jan 2020 12:51

Hound Fine as long as he shows some fight

Very easy for one player to disrupt a good team spirit by not giving a toss

Presumably Bowen won’t let him anywhere near the side if he thinks that is the case though

So yeah no harm in it, if - and it’s a big if - he gives far more to the cause than he did before

Exactly. I can’t imagine that Bowen would even be thinking about it if he felt it would cause the issues some are suggesting. I’d be surprised if Aluko leaves this month, just because he hasn’t played well for ages. He is here, we might as well use him.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2020 20:25

Aluko watch report.
BBC South Today showed the squad training today (Puscas was there) and in the distance I spotted a little chap strolling along, just as he did when turning out for us-the returning hero(?) Mr Aluko.

Bowen implied just a few changes but not a full scale change with, suggested by the reporter, Walker in goal.

Blackpool are a steady settled side with a big central striker and I think the little scouser Jay Spearing is still there as well as the great underachiever Delfounso and the speedy winger Liam Feeney.
I don't expect the game to be a walk in the park. ,

Cookie

by Cookie » 03 Jan 2020 21:06

Victor Meldrew Aluko watch report.
BBC South Today showed the squad training today (Puscas was there) and in the distance I spotted a little chap strolling along, just as he did when turning out for us-the returning hero(?) Mr Aluko.

Bowen implied just a few changes but not a full scale change with, suggested by the reporter, Walker in goal.

Blackpool are a steady settled side with a big central striker and I think the little scouser Jay Spearing is still there as well as the great underachiever Delfounso and the speedy winger Liam Feeney.
I don't expect the game to be a walk in the park. ,

Agreed

JR

by JR » 04 Jan 2020 08:56

It’s funny how things have worked out for Charlie Adam.

When the draw was made back in December he was a pundit for it on 5Live and very excited to have the tie he wanted (almost - would have preferred at Blackpool).

At the time as a bit part player, he would have thought that would have been his chance to get a start against his favourite club.

However, he’s broken in to the team and become a key player in our resurgence, so his only way of featuring today from the start would be sentimentality and I don’t think Bowen is one for that!

I imagine he’ll get a place on the bench and a run out in last 10 mins.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2020 09:26

Possibly - though wouldn’t be surprised to see him start and get his customary hour

Bowen goes on about him needing games to keep fit and he has come off in the last 4

185 posts