Watching games via ifollow

Old Man Andrews

Re: Watching games via ifollow

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 11:57

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
I was listening on Saturday and there was some confusion when a Blackpool shot went out for a corner. Tim couldn't tell whether the shot was saved by Walker's leg while he was diving the other way or not. Saw the replay on the highlights and it couldn't have been clearer that the shot was deflected off the defender :|

He is miles away from the action though, he doesn't have a monitor, has to react to what he sees at the time. Very harsh.

He is about the same distance away from the action as the TV camera and I saw it totally clearly when I saw it first time.

If he is struggling to see the action, I'd suggest he invested in some glasses to help him out or request a monitor from the club, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige (I'd actually be quite surprised if there isn't one there already).

When I went up there about 18 months ago to see him and Mick they didn't have one.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 12:00

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews He is miles away from the action though, he doesn't have a monitor, has to react to what he sees at the time. Very harsh.

He is about the same distance away from the action as the TV camera and I saw it totally clearly when I saw it first time.

If he is struggling to see the action, I'd suggest he invested in some glasses to help him out or request a monitor from the club, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige (I'd actually be quite surprised if there isn't one there already).

When I went up there about 18 months ago to see him and Mick they didn't have one.

What was the reason for your visit?

They should probably look at getting one installed to improve the accuracy of his commentary.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Jan 2020 12:02

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Stranded
Can only second this. His descriptions are often incredibly wide if the mark and he constantly says the wrong player was involved. Obviously have no comparison to other local commentators but it is really annoying at times.

I was listening on Saturday and there was some confusion when a Blackpool shot went out for a corner. Tim couldn't tell whether the shot was saved by Walker's leg while he was diving the other way or not. Saw the replay on the highlights and it couldn't have been clearer that the shot was deflected off the defender :|

He is miles away from the action though, he doesn't have a monitor, has to react to what he sees at the time. Very harsh.

Exactly this.

For fun I tried commentating when watching a stream with no sound. After abotu 5mins I realised it's BLOODY HARD. It looks like a very easy thing to do but weirdly it's actually not. And that's with the benefit of TV action. If you're Tim and Mick stuck in a box somewhere you are doing it all live form a distance and have to somehow make conversation during the match too. I can't imagine it being very easy at all.

I think he does ok.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 12:06

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

What was the reason for your visit?

They should probably look at getting one installed to improve the accuracy of his commentary.

I have known Mick for a few years loosly. My son was a mascot and saw them in hospitality before the game, went up for a chat and a biscuit after lunch.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 13:04

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Stranded
Can only second this. His descriptions are often incredibly wide if the mark and he constantly says the wrong player was involved. Obviously have no comparison to other local commentators but it is really annoying at times.

There 100% is a monitor up there for then to use, it’s shows the same feed as iFollow.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 13:06

URZZZZZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

There 100% is a monitor up there for then to use, it’s shows the same feed as iFollow.

They don't use a monitor, certainly didn't a little while ago anyway which you could have easily read. You can tell this from how confused Mick is about who has had a chance or who is coming on as a sub etc.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 13:47

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ
Old Man Andrews He is miles away from the action though, he doesn't have a monitor, has to react to what he sees at the time. Very harsh.

They don't use a monitor, certainly didn't a little while ago anyway which you could have easily read. You can tell this from how confused Mick is about who has had a chance or who is coming on as a sub etc.

Having a monitor to use and not using a monitor is a different thing, and perhaps a further reflection of the poor standard of commentary. Mick is a great bloke and gives a good summarisers view of football in general based on his experience, but the commentating on the game in question leaves a lot to be desired (which is mostly down to Tim).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 13:49

URZZZZZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ

Having a monitor to use and not using a monitor is a different thing, and perhaps a further reflection of the poor standard of commentary. Mick is a great bloke and gives a good summarisers view of football in general based on his experience, but the commentating on the game in question leaves a lot to be desired (which is mostly down to Tim).

Tim is too comfortable, thinks he can do and say whatever he wants and rather than commentate he spends about 75% of the game giving his opinion which isn't what he is there fore. Mick is too nice to really criticise anyone which is what he gets a bit of stick for.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2020 16:06

Stranded
URZZZZZZZZ I’ve watched a couple of games on iFollow and it is generally excellent.

The one thing I have noticed however is just how inaccurate and poor Tim Dellor’s commentary is when you can listen and see what’s happening. Generally in the past when I’ve listened to BBCRB I haven’t had the opportunity to watch the action, so I need to take Dellor’s word as gospel. Watching the action and listening in, it’s become apparent just how wide of the mark he is.

It's definitely gone downhill. I used to listen in the first PL seasons (I think it was) and then watched back the matches on the predecessor to ifollow and you could generally get a pretty good feel for the match, if not specific incidents.

But that may have been under Peter Hood and co, who at the time I thought was awful, or maybe Dellor has just gotten comfortable and stale... it often feels more about him and his relationship with Mick and the club these days than the match.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2020 16:09

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ

They've talked in the past about how an incident hasn't been replayed on the monitor, so I'm confident they have one.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 07 Jan 2020 17:23

2 world wars, 1 world cup
royalsteve Have to say tried for the first time on the Fulham game.

Absolutely seamless purchase process and video playback was superb, not a glitch in sight. Commentary was from bbc radio berks, so win win. Well worth £10 per game.

I think they are missing a trick though, should have live video subs for the season as I’d consider it if it’s the right price.

Beats watching it via some Azerbaijan or uae feed with zero commentary or worse foreign commentary.....and saves trying to find a site that streams it, and the risk of going via a site run by criminals

I thought the live feeds weren't hooked up to commentary? Maybe for BH and evening games they are but I don't think they are for normal Saturday matches or are they?

If so I'm getting me a VPN and signing up.

Here is how I remember the history:
1st year - You could choose Watch Live or Listen Live in a browser. But the video was commentary-less. So what most of us did is open two browsers, one with the video, another with the audio. You had to pause one of them to synch it up and get the commentary to match.

2nd year - They stopped allowing you to have two browsers open with the same account login (likely because folks were sharing one account with multiple people). The video did not have commentary. This year sucked.

3rd year until today - They added the BBCRB commentary to the Video feed. Life is good. You can also re-watch past matches, whic was key for me when the games start at 4am Pacific Time in the states.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Jan 2020 18:00

I personally find the commentary appalling - given that these guys have been doing it for several years now they are really bad at it. I'm often tempted to turn it off as they are so bad - they routinely get the players mixed up, particularly our black players. They often make completely false assessments of the game - like 'Reading are totally in control' when they've hardly had any possession and not had a shot on target, etc. I guess this is the reason they work for a local radio station and not for the BBC, Sky, etc. but there is definitely a lot of 'room for improvement'.
Oh and I've been using iFollow via a VPN this season (bought it while abroad at the beginning of the season) - it works really well, but sometimes works with and sometimes without the need for the VPN (nice when it doesn't as I can watch it on my large PC screen rather than cast it from my phone to the TV ... resulting in a rather fuzzy picture). One thing to note is that it will generally only work on one screen .. my son and I often battle over who gets to watch it!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Jan 2020 19:01

seahawk10
2 world wars, 1 world cup
royalsteve Have to say tried for the first time on the Fulham game.

Absolutely seamless purchase process and video playback was superb, not a glitch in sight. Commentary was from bbc radio berks, so win win. Well worth £10 per game.

I think they are missing a trick though, should have live video subs for the season as I’d consider it if it’s the right price.

Beats watching it via some Azerbaijan or uae feed with zero commentary or worse foreign commentary.....and saves trying to find a site that streams it, and the risk of going via a site run by criminals

I thought the live feeds weren't hooked up to commentary? Maybe for BH and evening games they are but I don't think they are for normal Saturday matches or are they?

If so I'm getting me a VPN and signing up.

Here is how I remember the history:
1st year - You could choose Watch Live or Listen Live in a browser. But the video was commentary-less. So what most of us did is open two browsers, one with the video, another with the audio. You had to pause one of them to synch it up and get the commentary to match.

2nd year - They stopped allowing you to have two browsers open with the same account login (likely because folks were sharing one account with multiple people). The video did not have commentary. This year sucked.

3rd year until today - They added the BBCRB commentary to the Video feed. Life is good. You can also re-watch past matches, whic was key for me when the games start at 4am Pacific Time in the states.

Thanks mate, really helpful.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Jan 2020 19:23

Royalwaster I'm often tempted to turn it off as they are... black players.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Royalwaster Oh and I've been using iFollow via a VPN this season (bought it while abroad at the beginning of the season) - it works really well, but sometimes works with and sometimes without the need for the VPN (nice when it doesn't as I can watch it on my large PC screen rather than cast it from my phone to the TV ... resulting in a rather fuzzy picture). One thing to note is that it will generally only work on one screen .. my son and I often battle over who gets to watch it!

I'm surprised it sometimes works without vpn. Silly Q maybe but did you use a UK card when paying?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Jan 2020 21:13

royalsteve
Jagermesiter1871 Wasn't the Fulham game on red button?

Annoyingly despite having virgin media’s too package including sky sports hd, the red button doesn’t work, only available via sky themselves. Annoying as sky do this a lot,

My folks have Virgin and watched the Fulham game via Red Button. You have to have it on the right channel first.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 07 Jan 2020 21:36

Platypuss
royalsteve
Jagermesiter1871 Wasn't the Fulham game on red button?

Annoyingly despite having virgin media’s too package including sky sports hd, the red button doesn’t work, only available via sky themselves. Annoying as sky do this a lot,

My folks have Virgin and watched the Fulham game via Red Button. You have to have it on the right channel first.

Tried all sky channels and no red button.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jan 2020 22:06

Royalwaster I personally find the commentary appalling - given that these guys have been doing it for several years now they are really bad at it. I'm often tempted to turn it off as they are so bad - they routinely get the players mixed up, particularly our black players. They often make completely false assessments of the game - like 'Reading are totally in control' when they've hardly had any possession and not had a shot on target, etc. I guess this is the reason they work for a local radio station and not for the BBC, Sky, etc. but there is definitely a lot of 'room for improvement'.
Oh and I've been using iFollow via a VPN this season (bought it while abroad at the beginning of the season) - it works really well, but sometimes works with and sometimes without the need for the VPN (nice when it doesn't as I can watch it on my large PC screen rather than cast it from my phone to the TV ... resulting in a rather fuzzy picture). One thing to note is that it will generally only work on one screen .. my son and I often battle over who gets to watch it!

I never use a VPN when using it in the UK. Shouldn't need to if it was "legally" purchased abroad.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Jan 2020 16:41

URZZZZZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ

Does Tim Dellor go? Return of Joel Hufford, perhaps?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 08 Jan 2020 16:54

Stranded
Royalwaster I personally find the commentary appalling - given that these guys have been doing it for several years now they are really bad at it. I'm often tempted to turn it off as they are so bad - they routinely get the players mixed up, particularly our black players. They often make completely false assessments of the game - like 'Reading are totally in control' when they've hardly had any possession and not had a shot on target, etc. I guess this is the reason they work for a local radio station and not for the BBC, Sky, etc. but there is definitely a lot of 'room for improvement'.

I never use a VPN when using it in the UK. Shouldn't need to if it was "legally" purchased abroad.

Seriously? It's supposed to be to watch games abroad ... not to buy it abroad and then watch them here, so I'm surprised you can always watch without VPN. Strange. What do you mean 'legally' bought? With me it sometimes works with, sometimes not with VPN; also sometimes I can watch it on two devices and other times not ... my assumption is that the software is not particularly sophisticated but that's just me guessing. It also only works with particular VPN locations - seems to work best when I am (virtually) in De Hague!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2020 17:42

John Smith
URZZZZZZZZ
Old Man Andrews They don't use a monitor, certainly didn't a little while ago anyway which you could have easily read. You can tell this from how confused Mick is about who has had a chance or who is coming on as a sub etc.

Does Tim Dellor go? Return of Joel Hufford, perhaps?

I'd forgotten about Joel. He was brilliant. At least in comparison to the diabolical Hood and Dellor.