196 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Eamon Dunphy

by Sutekh » 14 Jan 2020 09:27

When : Saturday 18th January 2019, 3pm
Where : The Den, London, SE16 3LN
Capacity : 20,146
Away Stand : North Stand (usually the upper tier)
What might I see in the area : Absolutely no intimidation of any kind whatsoever

Millwall away. They don't come much harder than this one this season. Millwall are unspectacular and unfancied but full of the simple basics like spirit, fight and generally keeping things simple. It's proving very effective too, under new manager Gary Rowett, who has only overseen 2 defeats in the 14 league games he's had in charge.

One of those defeats was at Reading and since that game Millwall have played 12 in the league, won 6 and drawn 5 so this one will require everyone up for it and 100% on their game - especially as the source of Millwall's success this season has been their home form which is identical to that of Leeds with only 2 defeats (but those defeats were surprises to QPR and Barnsley). The big thing to note here is that Millwall have scored in every one of their home games this season so a really big effort is needed to keep a clean sheet..

Jed Wallace is the player to shackle and cut off all supply to in this one. Jed is leading scorer with 9 from 25 games. Matt Smith and Tom Bradshaw also lead the way with 6 and 8 goals respectively. Of their former Royals, Bod, is a perennial substitute for Millwall while Cooper is a nailed on certainty to start (if he's fit) though he's only managed the 1 goal from his 27 league games this season.

Millwall are largely fully fit but Shane Williams will be suspended after being dismissed at Stoke on Saturday. Millwall are contemplating an appeal on the decision however. Reading have Joao out for 7 or 8 weeks plus Andy Yiadom still nursing injury.

Referee

Mr Keith Stroud

Previously

28 Sep 2019 > Swansea City 1-1 Reading
05 May 2019 > Reading 0-0 Birmingham City
10 Apr 2019 > Norwich City 2-2 Reading
27 Oct 2018 > Swansea City 2-0 Reading
28 Apr 2018 > Reading 0-4 Ipswich Town
02 Dec 2017 > Sunderland 1-3 Reading
04 Nov 2017 > Derby County 2-4 Reading
01 Apr 2017 > Reading 1-0 Leeds United
14 Feb 2017 > Reading 3-2 Brentford
19 Nov 2016 > Reading 3-0 Burton Albion
28 Dec 2015 > Reading 1-2 Brentford
07 Nov 2015 > Cardiff City 2-0 Reading
03 Oct 2015 > Reading 2-0 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2015 > Reading 0-1 Bournemouth
29 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-1 Huddersfield Town
11 Jan 2014 > Watford 0-1 Reading
13 Aug 2011 > Leicester City 0-2 Reading
03 Apr 2010 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
06 Feb 2010 > Doncaster Rovers 1-2 Reading
29 Dec 2007 > Tottenham Hotspur 6-4 Reading
22 Sep 2007 > Reading 2-1 Wigan Athletic
25 Feb 2006 > Reading 2-1 Preston North End
23 Aug 2005 > Reading 3-1 Swansea City (League Cup)

Historically

This will be the 98th league game against Millwall and therefore the 49th time Reading will have trekked across to South East London. Currently it is definitely a case of the home team ruling as Millwall have won more than half of those league games (26) to Reading's tally of just 10. There is also a tendency to concede goals like they're going out of fashion at Millwall with Reading's 38 strikes being well and truly trounced by double the amount from Millwall.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Eamon Dunphy

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 09:28

Keith Stroud is a crooked bastard.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Jan 2020 09:32

First away game for me since Feb 2017, looking forward to this one.

Think it will be a tough one and I'd take a point, quite happily. Don't think there will be much of a changed side from the Forest game, maybe Puscas coming in for Baldock, but that would be about it for me.

Didn't realise that Bradshaw was at Millwall either.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2020 09:34

Hendo First away game for me since Feb 2017, looking forward to this one.

Think it will be a tough one and I'd take a point, quite happily. Don't think there will be much of a changed side from the Forest game, maybe Puscas coming in for Baldock, but that would be about it for me.

Didn't realise that Bradshaw was at Millwall either.

Went last season, Gomes' first game and Blackett got sent off after about 10 minutes. Was a long afternoon........

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jan 2020 10:06

another horribly tough away game

Be very happy with a point - though then doesn't get any easy with Forest away the game after.

Very tough little run of games this

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Jan 2020 10:08

Hound another horribly tough away game

Be very happy with a point - though then doesn't get any easy with Forest away the game after.

Very tough little run of games this

Indeed it is.

The two surprise away wins at Preston and Fulham have eased the pressure somewhat, as we don't really need to worry too much about these two tough away trips. It would, of course, be nice to win both, or get 4 points, but getting 1 or 2 points wouldn't be the end of the world.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Jan 2020 10:11

This is the sort of away game that could define our season from here on in - a win and we are really in the play-off shake up, draw not too bad but a defeat could see the gap open up again.

If we don't win either of the next 2 games then I think our season just motors along to its mid-table conclusion - 3 or 4 points and things start to get interesting.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Jan 2020 10:12

Stranded This is the sort of away game that could define our season from here on in - a win and we are really in the play-off shake up, draw not too bad but a defeat could see the gap open up again.

If we don't win either of the next 2 games then I think our season just motors along to its mid-table conclusion - 3 or 4 points and things start to get interesting.

Which, after the last couple of years and how we started the season, I am totally fine with, tbh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jan 2020 10:17

Stranded This is the sort of away game that could define our season from here on in - a win and we are really in the play-off shake up, draw not too bad but a defeat could see the gap open up again.

yes very much. Also the fact that both Forest and Millwall are two of the teams we'd need to reel in

It wouldnt be over, but we'd need to then go another 5-6 match winning run, or something similar to get ourselves back in the mix - and thats always a very tough thing to do

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 14 Jan 2020 10:46

Having beaten Preston & Fulham away recently, we have nothing to fear here. Expecting three points.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 10:56

Hendo

Which, after the last couple of years and how we started the season, I am totally fine with, tbh.

To be fair, I can’t think of many seasons in the last 12 or so years where we haven’t had something to play for at the end

We had one in 15/16 under McDermott and the last month of that season was thoroughly miserable, lost something like 5 games in a row or something like that. It’s why I don’t particularly like seasons petering out to nothingness at the end

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 10:58

Zammo Having beaten Preston & Fulham away recently, we have nothing to fear here. Expecting three points.

Slightly different styles of play though. I’ve noticed that even on our win streak, Blackett and Gunter tuck in a bit (looks like managers instructions) and almost seem happy to let the opposition cross it in because Moore and Morrison are comfortable with those crosses coming in

However against Millwall, it’ll be a completely different proposition, Smith is very good in the air if he plays

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2020 17:25

URZZZZ
Hendo

To be fair, I can’t think of many seasons in the last 12 or so years where we haven’t had something to play for at the end

We had one in 15/16 under McDermott and the last month of that season was thoroughly miserable, lost something like 5 games in a row or something like that. It’s why I don’t particularly like seasons petering out to nothingness at the end

It's 2 seasons in 26 years basically....maybe 3... otherwise we've been in danger or in with a shout of glory down to the last few games, if not the last day itself.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2020 17:28

I'm looking at this next two from the perspective that any points are a bonus and push us closer to a small chance of keeping play off dreams alive into the last few games.

0 would be disappointing but not do us a lot of damage as the POs are probably a bit unrealistic and a step too far this season anyway.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jan 2020 22:10

Lot of players played well tonight apparently, bench options will be extremely difficult

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
Moore
Blackett

Pele

Meite
Swift
Adam
Ejaria

Baldock

Walker Miazga Obita Rinomhota McCleary Boye/Olise/Loader Puscas

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 14 Jan 2020 22:21

IN! For this.

Bringing the missus to her first game (she’s Irish).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2020 08:38

Tails IN! For this.

Bringing the missus to her first game (she’s Irish).

Be a sport and dress her up in West Ham gear old bean.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jan 2020 08:40

Usual first team. Bench as follows.

Walker
Yiadom?
Miazga
Rinomhota
McCleary
Loader
Puscas

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2020 09:49

Would play Puscas in this one, Baldock on the wing.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Jan 2020 10:02

Old Man Andrews Would play Puscas in this one, Baldock on the wing.

Agree, Ejaria is wasted on the left and Baldock doesn’t have enough to play as a lone striker. Adam has proven himself to be a viable option but let’s play everyone in their best positions.

Could also try Obita on the left but think that’s harsh on Baldock.

196 posts