MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Eamon Dunphy

196 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (a) sponsored by Eamon Dunphy

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jan 2020 18:30

Reading fans in a nutshell. bad day at the office, wouldn`t travel to that shithole if I was paid to,

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2020 18:31

When you go the Den, you have to be streetwise. Look at the certain dangers they pose, and deal with it

Unfortunately we weren't. I said pre match that Millwall play a style using the whole width of the pitch and that we had to stop the crosses coming in. But we didn't. Throughout the game, they were getting too many crosses into our box and the outcome was inevitable. Fair play to Moore and Morrison who dealt with it as best as they could, but it was always unlikely we were going to hold on

I think Bowen's subs were poor too for the second week running, replacing Baldock with Puscas killed momentum last week and was just as bad this week. Baldock really should have done better in added time in the first half but he took too long. A clever player, but a lot better in a pair. We're in dire need of another striker right now

Looking ahead to the climax of the window, would also add a CM and winger. Personally think we need more than Obita and McCleary as attacking wing options off the bench, and we don't have much to choose from in CM (assuming Bowen doesn't think Olise is ready for the step up yet)

But we were always going to lose at some point and as I pointed out after the Fulham game, the best measure of the potential of this team is the reaction to a loss/couple of losses. We don't want a 14/15 or 15/16 type end where we just drift away

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Jan 2020 18:33

windermereROYAL Reading fans in a nutshell. bad day at the office, wouldn`t travel to that shithole if I was paid to,

Fantastic supporter.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jan 2020 18:34

A loss was always likely in a tough away game, my biggest gripe today was that we didn't particularly look like winning.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Jan 2020 19:33

Where do we go with Puscas? Is he going to be good enough to produce the goods consistently at this level?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jan 2020 19:44

Zip Where do we go with Puscas? Is he going to be good enough to produce the goods consistently at this level?

He got half hour on the pitch so lets have a go at him rather than the misfiring forwards from the previous hour. Baldock puts in a good shift but he`s hardly prolific. is he?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2020 21:41

Zip Where do we go with Puscas? Is he going to be good enough to produce the goods consistently at this level?

With every week/game you expect him to improve and work on faults. Yet somehow every week, he actually gets worse

I know he’s young and all that and time is on his side but with every passing week, doubts are creeping in

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2020 21:52

He’s had 2 30 min sub appearances after being out for a month

Give him a chance - he was doing ok and scored a hatrick a game before that

And he was fine against Brum

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jan 2020 21:58

Still the top scorer, doesn`t say too much about the others does it? but because he`s come in with big expectations he`s getting most of the flak.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jan 2020 22:41

From what I've seen, he's not ready. But it would be foolish to write him off.

Needs to improve his touch, decision making and off the ball play... in and out of possession.

He's got some skill, tricks, pace and finish and time on his side. But he's really not pushing for first choice right now IMO.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2020 22:41

windermereROYAL Still the top scorer, doesn`t say too much about the others does it? but because he`s come in with big expectations he`s getting most of the flak.

Yet if you fiddle with the stats, he’s only scored in 3 different games - which, isn’t very good

He constantly miscontrols the ball, he constantly misplaces passes and he constantly shoots from ridiculous angles. Why are we not seeing improvements in three very basic areas of the game?

He showed promise of a duo with Baldock and Joao but he’s utterly useless as a lone striker or with Meite

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Jan 2020 23:43

windermereROYAL

He got half hour on the pitch so lets have a go at him rather than the misfiring forwards from the previous hour. Baldock puts in a good shift but he`s hardly prolific. is he?

He is a misfiring forward himself is he not? He has scored in three League games this season which is disappointing. He has shown at times that there is real potential but it’s only been glimpses.
I hope he can kick in from here but he needs to improve his all round game.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 19 Jan 2020 15:52

URZZZZ
But we were always going to lose at some point and as I pointed out after the Fulham game, the best measure of the potential of this team is the reaction to a loss/couple of losses. We don't want a 14/15 or 15/16 type end where we just drift away

It was something we were really good at in 16/17, under Stam. For whatever reason, that team had a real belief, and came back from some absolute tonkings. We lost 2 games in a row just three times all season.
We won the games immediately after being beaten 5-0, 7-1, 3-0.

Right now we could easily lose the next 4 games though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2020 16:44

muirinho
URZZZZ

It was something we were really good at in 16/17, under Stam. For whatever reason, that team had a real belief, and came back from some absolute tonkings. We lost 2 games in a row just three times all season.

Could we?

We've lost 4 games under Bowen, max 2 in a row and we've gone no more than 3 without winning.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 19 Jan 2020 18:56

Snowflake Royal
muirinho
URZZZZ

Could we?

We've lost 4 games under Bowen, max 2 in a row and we've gone no more than 3 without winning.

What I meant was - they are all very losable games on paper. So, IMO it wouldn't be a shocking indictment of Bowen & the team if we did lose all 4 of them. But if we win one & draw a couple, it's a good sign.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2020 10:19

muirinho
Snowflake Royal
muirinho

Could we?

What I meant was - they are all very losable games on paper. So, IMO it wouldn't be a shocking indictment of Bowen & the team if we did lose all 4 of them. But if we win one & draw a couple, it's a good sign.

I’m assuming you’re talking about Forest, Bristol, Cardiff and Hull because they are our next four games. Whilst Forest will be tricky, I don’t think the other three are that tricky at all and thus losing all four would be a shocking set of results

It’s the week after that run I’m concerned about, West Brom, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jan 2020 10:37

URZZZZ
muirinho
Snowflake Royal Could we?

I’m assuming you’re talking about Forest, Bristol, Cardiff and Hull because they are our next four games. Whilst Forest will be tricky, I don’t think the other three are that tricky at all and thus losing all four would be a shocking set of results

It’s the week after that run I’m concerned about, West Brom, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday

the way Leeds and WBA are currently performing, you'd hope for at least a point from each

who knows with Sheff Weds

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jan 2020 12:15

Hound
URZZZZ
muirinho

the way Leeds and WBA are currently performing, you'd hope for at least a point from each

who knows with Sheff Weds

Come on Hound, we are not going to get anything from Leeds. We have to be realistic here.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Jan 2020 14:45

URZZZZ
muirinho
Snowflake Royal Could we?

All opinions isn't it? I think Cardiff is losable because Bowen will probably play the U23s, and I'd be more worried about Bristol and Forest than about Wednesday or Leeds.

Hull, yeah, I was mentally including Millwall in my four, even though we'd already played it!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2020 15:53

muirinho
URZZZZ
muirinho

All opinions isn't it? I think Cardiff is losable because Bowen will probably play the U23s, and I'd be more worried about Bristol and Forest than about Wednesday or Leeds.

Hull, yeah, I was mentally including Millwall in my four, even though we'd already played it!

Sorry, presumed you were talking about league games only

So that is Forest, Cardiff, Bristol and Cardiff again

Consensus I got was that Bristol fans are still deeply unimpressed with Johnson and their last two victories against Wigan and Barnsley have simply papered over the cracks

196 posts