MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Jason Bowen

206 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cardiff City (h) sponsored by Jason Bowen

by URZZZZ » 23 Jan 2020 22:47

sandman
Old Man Andrews
Stranded I know but I am struggling to think of who will go out wide or fill that gap who isn't going to be involved against Bristol - pretty much left me with Aluko.

Think I would rather have any youth team player there, could even put Loader out on the left I guess and play Puscas up top. It is the sort of game Puscas needs right now imo.

Puscas has a shoulder problem that needs to be carefully managed.

No point risking making it worse for a meaningless cup competition.

And I bet you weren’t calling it “meaningless” when we got to the SF against Arsenal

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jan 2020 22:53

Zip
Tony Le Mesmer Looking forward to most of the team being rested so we concentrate all our efforts on a memorable 12th place league finish. We are long shots for both promotion and relegation.

We are exactly the type of club that should be giving the cup a proper go. Mid table and improving. Shades of 2009/10. That cup run gave us a launch that led to a play off final and a league title.

But we wont, as would most other championship clubs. Its pathetic and totally self defeating.

The one defence is that we have a settled team who are playing a lot of League games at the moment. There is though a real possibility that the season could be very flat if we get knocked out on Saturday.

They’re professionals

I get that certain types of players, youngsters, older players etc may not be able to play 3 games in a week but most of the players who are in their prime shape should be able to easily

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Jan 2020 23:26

URZZZZ
Zip
Tony Le Mesmer Looking forward to most of the team being rested so we concentrate all our efforts on a memorable 12th place league finish. We are long shots for both promotion and relegation.

We are exactly the type of club that should be giving the cup a proper go. Mid table and improving. Shades of 2009/10. That cup run gave us a launch that led to a play off final and a league title.

But we wont, as would most other championship clubs. Its pathetic and totally self defeating.

The one defence is that we have a settled team who are playing a lot of League games at the moment. There is though a real possibility that the season could be very flat if we get knocked out on Saturday.

They’re professionals

I get that certain types of players, youngsters, older players etc may not be able to play 3 games in a week but most of the players who are in their prime shape should be able to easily

You are right that professional players should be able to play 3 games in a week, but they might be rested in order to protect our ever-so-slightly injury prone squad from picking up injuries during the match.

It will also provided experience for the youngsters, and games for the loan players (as that is pretty much what the predicted team will consist of).

Guess that the team is likely to be

Walker
Howe
Miazga
McIntyre
Richards
Rinomhota
McCleary
Dunno
Boye
Aluko
Loader

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2020 23:40

How often have we gone out because we played a weakened team? I'd suggest it's actually pretty rare.

Fact is, 20-30 years ago clubs had far smaller squads and there simply wasn't an option. Now squads are much bigger and those not playing need minutes to be fresh.

There's also not a lot between many of our players.

Richards / Obita / Blackett - it's really only about who is fit, in form and in possession.

Rino and Pele - same deal. Puscas and Baldock likewise. Miazga equally would not look out of place in the league first XI. Gunter would be perfectly adequate if Yiadom were currently fit and playing.

And plenty more like McIntyre, Olise, Howe, Loader, McCleary et c aren't exactly way off.

Cardiff aren't exactly unbeatable for our second XI, even if they put out their first, yeah it's more likely we'd win with the league XI, but player management is key and it's not like we don't rest people for mid-week games in the league sometimes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2020 23:48

URZZZZ
sandman
Old Man Andrews
Think I would rather have any youth team player there, could even put Loader out on the left I guess and play Puscas up top. It is the sort of game Puscas needs right now imo.

And I bet you weren’t calling it “meaningless” when we got to the SF against Arsenal

It was very jolly, but really, it didn't count for a lot else.

We had a basically full strength team when we got knocked out by Stevenage in the 3rd round.

It really doesn't make much difference.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 00:22

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
sandman

We had a basically full strength team when we got knocked out by Stevenage in the 3rd round.

It isn't something I'm going to agree on

I'm not saying our replacements are bad, mind. I'm just saying making 11 changes is too much against a fellow Championship side and whilst these players need game time, I'd rather swap a couple a game in the league rather than 11 on Saturday to keep them fresh

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2020 08:23

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

It isn't something I'm going to agree on

I'm not saying our replacements are bad, mind. I'm just saying making 11 changes is too much against a fellow Championship side and whilst these players need game time, I'd rather swap a couple a game in the league rather than 11 on Saturday to keep them fresh

When half those changes could be legitimately first choice anyway, it really doesn't count as a massive change around IMO.

Agree we won't agree. :P x

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jan 2020 09:49

Zip Also positive on the Cardiff City football messageboard ccmb where I have been posting for donkeys years.

Why? Are you a supporter?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jan 2020 10:01

Leaning towards URZZ's side here. Play a stronger team and go for the win.

Winning is a habit and the more wins the first team gets, the better. I'm not worried about fitness levels - the first XI managed 4 games in 12 days over the Christmas period, and won all 4 games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 10:03

genome Leaning towards URZZ's side here. Play a stronger team and go for the win.

Winning is a habit and the more wins the first team gets, the better. I'm not worried about fitness levels - the first XI managed 4 games in 12 days over the Christmas period, and won all 4 games.

....and lost one of our most important players to a muscle injury

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jan 2020 10:06

Hound
genome Leaning towards URZZ's side here. Play a stronger team and go for the win.

He's been struggling with injuries since he got here.

On the flip side, John Swift made it through that period in his best form, and you know what he's like with injuries

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 10:07

Hound

No alternative though with Baldock and Puscas both injured for most of those games

My point is that instead of making 11 changes tomorrow, why not make a couple? Then a couple more on Tuesday, then a couple more on Friday? It’s difficult as a team to gel after 11 changes but surely making 2/3 won’t really change the dynamics of the team too much

It’s a tough one for Bowen admittedly

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 10:12

morganb
URZZZZ
Zip

They’re professionals

You are right that professional players should be able to play 3 games in a week, but they might be rested in order to protect our ever-so-slightly injury prone squad from picking up injuries during the match.

It will also provided experience for the youngsters, and games for the loan players (as that is pretty much what the predicted team will consist of).

Guess that the team is likely to be

Walker
Howe
Miazga
McIntyre
Richards
Rinomhota
McCleary
Dunno
Boye
Aluko
Loader

I don’t actually think the injuries have been bad this season, not like the last couple anyway

It just always seems we have a couple of players out at once and can never get a fully fit squad

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2020 10:17

URZZZZ
Hound

No alternative though with Baldock and Puscas both injured for most of those games

My point is that instead of making 11 changes tomorrow, why not make a couple? Then a couple more on Tuesday, then a couple more on Friday? It’s difficult as a team to gel after 11 changes but surely making 2/3 won’t really change the dynamics of the team too much

It’s a tough one for Bowen admittedly

yeah, there's no right or wrong answer, unless we win both games and come through without injury. And then you only know in retrospect

Obvs with Joao - it could have been many things, but there's a fair chance it was due to being overplayed. There's obviously a difference between 'pro football players should be able to play 4 times in 10 days' or whatever - yes of course they can, but the chances of them picking up a fatigue related injury increase with each game in that

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jan 2020 18:21

John Smith
Zip Also positive on the Cardiff City football messageboard ccmb where I have been posting for donkeys years.

Why? Are you a supporter?

Yes. Wales.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jan 2020 20:30

I notice when buying tickets for this online the system doesn’t give an option for you to load the game onto your member card instead you only have options to pick them up from the ground or print them out at home. Very odd.

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 25 Jan 2020 00:12

Website is warning me that feckers are trying to steal my passwords and all sorts....security compromised.
Might have to call ticket office instead now

The Cube

by The Cube » 25 Jan 2020 07:16

Sutekh I notice when buying tickets for this online the system doesn’t give an option for you to load the game onto your member card instead you only have options to pick them up from the ground or print them out at home. Very odd.

You can load it to your card. It's just that you have to work hard to find the route.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2020 08:35

The Cube
Sutekh I notice when buying tickets for this online the system doesn’t give an option for you to load the game onto your member card instead you only have options to pick them up from the ground or print them out at home. Very odd.

You can load it to your card. It's just that you have to work hard to find the route.

Thanks for that, I’ll make sure I have a couple if days available to look for it next cup game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jan 2020 11:00

Cardiff fan travelling from Cambridge has asked for best places to park. Any suggestions? I have mentioned Mereoak park and ride but he isn’t coming towards the stadium from the M4 so not sure what to suggest.

206 posts