BFTG - Forest v2

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG - Forest v2

by Notts Royal » 22 Jan 2020 23:32

“Nottingham Forest...it’s happened again” :lol:

A decent performance in a match we pretty much controlled...interestingly I was told we only had 44% possession which is odd as it felt John Swift had the ball just outside our 18 yrd box most of the game!

My main issue is TEMPO - all good and well controlling the game in your own half but this team could be so much better if we played it at pace. I know we’d likely lose it more but we’d also create more space

Rafael 7 - didn’t really have much to do
Gunter 8 - played really well tonight, read the game well, some great interceptions
Blackett 7 - another sturdy display
Moore 8 - was very impressed by him tonight, led well
Morrison 7 - solid

Pele 7 - played well and some great Adam-esque balls to Obita
Ejaria 6 - stop dwelling on the ball mate
Swift 7 - beautiful to watch at times, awareness of those around him is getting better too
Obita 7 - got forward well tonight, plenty of space given to him by Cash, end product lacking slightly though
Olise 8 - what a player we have on our hands if he can keep playing like that. Glides through the pitch with ease at times. Seems to have more about him than Loader

Puscas 5 - starting to think it’s not going to work out for him here and maybe he’s not settled. He’s evidently got something there, but for £7m I’d expect him to have a better 1st touch and a much better awareness of the game. Was surprised we didn’t start with Baldock partnering him as that would suit him more. Still...he has to do more

Baldock 8 - great turn for the goal. He’s always lively. Should have come on earlier,although I understand why he didn’t as the game was finely poised before a they scored
Loader n/a - not enough time

An enjoyable evening overall!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Forest v2

by URZZZZ » 22 Jan 2020 23:44

Good write up. Bowen briefly explained that whilst he prefers playing a duo up top, he wants control in the midfield

Disappointed to see Ejaria not being at the races again tonight, he seemed to hit a good spell in the our winning run but not been at it since Fulham. Bit of a dilemma for next game because I’d look to bring Adam in but for who? By all accounts, Obita did quite well last night

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 22 Jan 2020 23:44

It happened again!! :lol:
Excellent point and absolutely deserved. Although Forest created more, we always looked dangerous on the break. Super performances from the back 4 and Raf. Moore, Gunter and Blackett were particularly great. Olise was quality ! Gomes and Obita did well but faded into the 2nd half. Swift and Ejaria brilliant and frustrating....often doing both at the same time!! Obviously the only negative was the fact Baldock didn’t appear for so long. Puscas looked lost and unfit tonight. He clearly needs a partner up there....he just can’t hold the ball up. With time a space he played a couple of intelligent lay-offs...but he just won’t get that long in the Championship. Baldock must start in Cardiff in the league game.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Jan 2020 00:21

Chant of the night “One nil and you fcuked it up”

When it wasn’t being a library The City Ground crowd was bloody loud.

Although Baldock put a stop to that :lol:

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 23 Jan 2020 03:18

Definitely need to play with a bit more tempo very slow in the first half and I’ve never seen Swift drop so far back to bring the ball out he was behind the CB’s at times but we were just too sloppy and lost the ball too easily. Nothing went for Puscas he really struggled to hold it up but tbf Watson was absolutely glued to him a lot but a quality striker needs to be more mobile shake defenders off and create themselves some space.
Much better second half but why do we leave it so late to really start going for it normally after the opposition have scored! Baldock as usual was lively worked hard and scored what more can ask for in a 12 minute appearance. Thought he did really well to get that shot off with 3 defenders around him their keeper must be gutted he didn’t save it, it didn’t look like the hardest of shots.
Back 5 were all pretty solid for the most part thought Gunter had a really good game some really good tackles and interceptions. Bit disappointed Moore couldn’t stop that pass to Grabban for their goal their guy mis kicked it and it just seemed to go straight thru him. At the risk of upsetting the Olise love in I didn’t see a performance that was absolute quality worthy of the highest rating out of all our players as some have given. Yes he played very well for a young lad but I thought Obita was the better wide player got in some decent crosses in the second half and had a decent shot on goal that their keeper fumbled away at the end of the first. Olise twice in the second half had the ball on the edge of their box that I thought he could have got a shot off but he passed sideways out to the wing. I’m prob being a bit over critical now he’s a young lad and he did do well especially as he’s hardly been in the first team of late.
Great point overall against a team right up there going for promotion and great to shut them up within minutes for the second time in a couple of weeks.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jan 2020 07:30

Has Olise earned a start against Bristol City?

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 23 Jan 2020 07:45

Olise is class, I'd like him to start every game so we can see as much as possible of him before he goes to a champions league club.
Does need to work on his fitness though and give a bit more defensively. Their goal came from the full back overlapping and Olise not going with him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jan 2020 08:29

All the praise for Olise makes it all the stranger he didn't get a chance when Swift and Ejaria were out.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 08:43

Snowflake Royal All the praise for Olise makes it all the stranger he didn't get a chance when Swift and Ejaria were out.

Would imagine he wasn't hitting the standards expected in training at the time and we were nearer the bottom of the table so more of a "risk" - with a 12 point buffer to that (13 now) and only a slim chance of a play-off push, better scenario to put him in and for him to perform. He also performed very well at Blackpool.

We may well see more of him over the next 17 games esp. if/when our play-off chances retreat further.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jan 2020 08:51

I'd say that time is already with us. Our playoffs strategy is essentially "Play as well as we can and see if something unexpected happens". We're not in a pressurized race for the top 6. If Olise is ready, throw him in and get some good experience. Should certainly be ahead of McCleary and Boye, neither of whom will be here next season.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Jan 2020 08:51

Stranded
Snowflake Royal All the praise for Olise makes it all the stranger he didn't get a chance when Swift and Ejaria were out.

Would imagine he wasn't hitting the standards expected in training at the time and we were nearer the bottom of the table so more of a "risk" - with a 12 point buffer to that (13 now) and only a slim chance of a play-off push, better scenario to put him in and for him to perform. He also performed very well at Blackpool.

We may well see more of him over the next 17 games esp. if/when our play-off chances retreat further.

I also think Bowen only having a contract until the end of the season played a little into it as well. Not really much of an incentive to plan for the future when you've only 6 months to establish your credentials in the job.

That said Bowen Has been pretty consistent in stating what the younger players need to show him to be in contention, mainly to do with work off the ball. Clearly Barrett didn't take it on board (or demonstrate to Bowen he had) but the penny has dropped with Olise.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2020 08:55

Yes that Brum game where Bowen got his selection badly wrong. In fairness it was still early days for Bowen so he deserves a bit of slack.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 08:57

Vision
Stranded

I also think Bowen only having a contract until the end of the season played a little into it as well. Not really much of an incentive to plan for the future when you've only 6 months to establish your credentials in the job.

That said Bowen Has been pretty consistent in stating what the younger players need to show him to be in contention, mainly to do with work off the ball. Clearly Barrett didn't take it on board (or demonstrate to Bowen he had) but the penny has dropped with Olise.

Yes Bowen made it pretty clear why he wasn't playing - he wasn't working hard enough off the ball.

Nice to see Obita having a good game. I'm starting to feel a lot more optimistic about his long term future, and he might be starting to look at a new contract

2 goals and 3 assists I think since Bowen has come in

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2020 08:59

Hound
Vision
Stranded

Yes Bowen made it pretty clear why he wasn't playing - he wasn't working hard enough off the ball.

Nice to see Obita having a good game. I'm starting to feel a lot more optimistic about his long term future, and he might be starting to look at a new contract

I think the move to a more attacking role is suiting him and helping him manage his workload better - can only be helping his recovery. Blackett's emergence as a dependable LB has definitely helped Obita.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 09:05

Stranded
Hound
Vision

I think the move to a more attacking role is suiting him and helping him manage his workload better - can only be helping his recovery. Blackett's emergence as a dependable LB has definitely helped Obita.

Its playing to his strengths, and where he can best help the team.

He is probably the best crosser of the ball we have, and has a decent shot on him as well. It does look like we are starting to up his game time gradually - and he is getting to play 2 games a week now (if not the full 90 in both). Watching again, the work he did for Baldock's goal was very good

I said ages ago I could see us moving to a midfield with Yiadom and Obita on the flanks - particularly under Bowen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where Yiadom comes back into the team - ie

Yiadom Ejaria Pele Swift Obita
Puscas/Baldock/Joao

Less goals in it possibly but very solid. Would work best with Joao of course

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jan 2020 10:15

Hound
Stranded
Hound

Its playing to his strengths, and where he can best help the team.

He is probably the best crosser of the ball we have, and has a decent shot on him as well. It does look like we are starting to up his game time gradually - and he is getting to play 2 games a week now (if not the full 90 in both). Watching again, the work he did for Baldock's goal was very good

I said ages ago I could see us moving to a midfield with Yiadom and Obita on the flanks - particularly under Bowen. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where Yiadom comes back into the team - ie

Yiadom Ejaria Pele Swift Obita
Puscas/Baldock/Joao

Less goals in it possibly but very solid. Would work best with Joao of course

Would work very nicely indeed with Joao. A point of interest would be how well will Gunter overlap. We know he is capable of it but one of the strengths of the Blackett/Obita paring has been both are willing to cover/tuck inside/overlap/run an angle into the box. The potential to mix it up on that flank, with Swift and Ejaria inside, has been fantastic to watch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2020 10:20

tbf to Gunts, noticed he was in the box for our goal yesterday

He can do it, and I think he would be braver with Yiadom in front of him. And yeah the idea of that nice little triangle and overlap is good. Sort of thing that Adam is very strong at as well, in terms of threading those balls through for the overlap

Was thinking with Gunter - any idea of a new contract has been written off, but I wonder if they are potentially reconsidering offering another year. He isn't old, and he has been pretty bloody good since he has come back in and suits the Bowen style

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2020 10:26

Hound tbf to Gunts, noticed he was in the box for our goal yesterday

He can do it, and I think he would be braver with Yiadom in front of him. And yeah the idea of that nice little triangle and overlap is good. Sort of thing that Adam is very strong at as well, in terms of threading those balls through for the overlap

Was thinking with Gunter - any idea of a new contract has been written off, but I wonder if they are potentially reconsidering offering another year. He isn't old, and he has been pretty bloody good since he has come back in and suits the Bowen style

I'd be quite happy if he signed a new 1 or 2 year deal to be honest.

He has shown he still has the ability to come in and perform after being out for ages. You'd have to say that Yiadom was a more sellable asset, so bids are probably more likely to come in for him than Gunter, so rather than being just left with Howe, it would be sensible to keep him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jan 2020 10:27

He absolutely can do it. Himself and Yiadom are both so fit as well that the 2 of them sharing a flank could be exhausting for our opponents.

I think a new contract should be offered. He deserves it now.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2020 10:29

Hendo

I'd be quite happy if he signed a new 1 or 2 year deal to be honest.

He has shown he still has the ability to come in and perform after being out for ages. You'd have to say that Yiadom was a more sellable asset, so bids are probably more likely to come in for him than Gunter, so rather than being just left with Howe, it would be sensible to keep him.

Don't think Gunter will be short of offers if he lets his contract run down. If I were advising him I would just tell him to play it cool until the summer, reckon he will end up with offers from some decent Championship teams and abroad.