BFTG Cardiff Home

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Cardiff Home

by Nameless » 26 Jan 2020 11:37

Snowflake Royal The total lack of first team subs was certainly odd... even if the starting XI was fairly strong. Any chance Bowen is trying to make a statement about squad depth and signings?

I would have thought there are much easier and more effective ways of doing that without throwing matches....

Which fit and available first team players who didn't play last Tuesday and won't be playing this Tuesday did he leave out in order to make his point ?

And if such a point existed how would it square with the general acceptance that for several years we have been running with an overly large squad with too many players not actually contributing to games ?

We certainly have a temporary issue in a couple of positions but overall the squad is pretty much right in terms of numbers and cover,

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Jan 2020 11:39

Snowflake Royal The total lack of first team subs was certainly odd... even if the starting XI was fairly strong. Any chance Bowen is trying to make a statement about squad depth and signings?

This was my issue. No problem with the starting line up as a lot of the players starting are pushing for a place in the first team but the subs were a different matter altogether and led to a lack of forward options.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Jan 2020 11:43

Zip

This was my issue. No problem with the starting line up as a lot of the players starting are pushing for a place in the first team but the subs were a different matter altogether and led to a lack of forward options.

As mentioned on match thread, Bowen was asked about it afterwards. He said he deliberately avoided having anyone in the squad who might play a part on Tuesday.

Makes sense I guess but maybe a couple of players could have helped us nick it and avoid yet another fixture.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2020 11:55

saw The comment but surely Rino and Adam are likely to play ‘some part’

I would have liked to have seen swift, Ejaria, Puscas, Baldock and Olise on the bench personally

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 26 Jan 2020 11:58

Agree - my issue wouldn’t be with playing a reserve team. Players like Rino & Miazga are good enough to start and these games are good for them.

My issue would be with the bench & just filling it with kids completely. Would be better to have a few 1st teamers in there to get you out of trouble.

In reference to Coppell, he did just that. Don’t think he filled the bench with kids. Brian needed to play his 1st teamers when he first came in to get momentum. Think our squad now is in a slightly different place to then so can understand a different approach.

But who knows how far we can go - can all depend on who you’re drawn against. Worth going for it I’d say

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 11:59

Nameless

I would have thought there are much easier and more effective ways of doing that without throwing matches....

Which fit and available first team players who didn't play last Tuesday and won't be playing this Tuesday did he leave out in order to make his point ?

And if such a point existed how would it square with the general acceptance that for several years we have been running with an overly large squad with too many players not actually contributing to games ?

We certainly have a temporary issue in a couple of positions but overall the squad is pretty much right in terms of numbers and cover,

I don't think it's likely... I just don't really see why it's necessary to leave out first teamers from the bench just because they're due to play a few days later. Just because the squad is quite large doesn't mean a manager is happy with it.

If Adam can do 3 games in 8 days, which he has previously, why can't Swift / Baldock / Puscas / Moore etc do a match warm up and maybe 30 mins if that?

Only asking the question.

Really odd thing to say about throwing matches. :| we drew and he made subs to hold on. It was a fairly strong XI, but an incredibly weak / raw bench.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 12:01

Hound saw The comment but surely Rino and Adam are likely to play ‘some part’

I would have liked to have seen swift, Ejaria, Puscas, Baldock and Olise on the bench personally

Yeah, that smells like bull.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Jan 2020 12:13

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
leon
sandman
We are still mathematically able to reach the play offs. It is not even February yet and the history of the Championship shows that there is always the potential for a team to put a run together late on. Our players have already proven they can go toe to toe with the best in the league and if we can get a decent striker in during the next week then we could really be in business.

We are not the only ones to treat this cup competition this way. We are not going to win it, even if we put out a full strength team, so there is nothing "to look forward to" about it.

A good cup run can push a season on that was McDermott’s view and I’ll go with the wisdom of our second best manager EVER. (you weird Brian hating cnuts - there’s a special place in hell for you)

Brian had a better squad than the squad now. Plus I'm not hugely convinced our first XI is that much better than our second XI so I can't see how their cup run would be that much better. Keep the cup squad as it is. Maybe if we had more match winners in our first squad I'd agree with you. But we don't.

Not sure I really understand. 1st team is reasonable. My point was just that a cup run can be beneficial how we achieve that is another matter.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 12:16

Currently with the youth team and reserves.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Jan 2020 12:22

Jackson Corner I don’t get the 11 changes and a load of kids on the bench. We are not going’ to reach the playoffs. We are 15th in the league it ain’t going to happen. But we had a great chance of making the quarterfinals or more with a favourable draw. No replays and penalties from the next round onwards. Instead we have another unwanted replay a probable defeat and nothing to look forward to between now and May.

I think the side Bowen puts out in the replay will depend on what happens in the draw for the 5th round and results in the next 2 league games....same for Cardiff for that matter. A winnable home tie in the draw and 2 bad league results (entirely possible) could see the season's priorities change....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jan 2020 13:02

Notts Royal

Agree - my issue wouldn’t be with playing a reserve team. Players like Rino & Miazga are good enough to start and these games are good for them.

My issue would be with the bench & just filling it with kids completely. Would be better to have a few 1st teamers in there to get you out of trouble.

In reference to Coppell, he did just that. Don’t think he filled the bench with kids. Brian needed to play his 1st teamers when he first came in to get momentum. Think our squad now is in a slightly different place to then so can understand a different approach.

But who knows how far we can go - can all depend on who you’re drawn against. Worth going for it I’d say

Going for what? We have never won the thing in all our 140+ years and no team outside the top flight has won it for 40 years.

Maybe if we got into the Premier League and established ourselves there it might be worth our while but until then we are using it exactly the way we should.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jan 2020 13:26

Ask the steward that heard it what was sung. None of us heard it but that doesn't mean it didn't happen and just because the majority of Cardiff fans were singing something else at the time also doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

Not surprised that it's you defending them though given some of the things you've posted in the past.

Felt91

by Felt91 » 26 Jan 2020 13:53

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

I don't think it's likely... I just don't really see why it's necessary to leave out first teamers from the bench just because they're due to play a few days later. Just because the squad is quite large doesn't mean a manager is happy with it.

If Adam can do 3 games in 8 days, which he has previously, why can't Swift / Baldock / Puscas / Moore etc do a match warm up and maybe 30 mins if that?

Really odd thing to say about throwing matches. :| we drew and he made subs to hold on. It was a fairly strong XI, but an incredibly weak / raw bench.

What if in that 30 mins swift pulled a hamstring or on the end of a late challenge and out for 3 months, worth the risk? Nope. People say play the kids we have a good academy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2020 14:04

Felt91
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

What if in that 30 mins swift pulled a hamstring or on the end of a late challenge and out for 3 months, worth the risk? Nope. People say play the kids we have a good academy.

Better never play him or let him train then in case he gets injured.

Perfectly possible to put out the same XI, plus half the same bench to give the Academy a chance and still have some strength and experience on the bench if it's needed.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Jan 2020 14:32

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51251551

Four Cardiff City fans arrested over 'alleged racially aggravated abuse' at Reading

Four Cardiff City fans were arrested for "alleged racially aggravated abuse" during Saturday's 1-1 FA Cup draw at Reading, Thames Valley Police said.

The four males have been released under investigation.

Two of the four, aged 15 and 24, are from Caerphilly, with a 16-year-old from Abergavenny and a 21-year-old from Crickhowell arrested too.

Thames Valley Police said: "The force will continue to work in partnership with the clubs and South Wales Police."

Warnings relating to the alleged incidents were issued via the public address system at Madejski Stadium.

On Saturday, Cardiff City said in a statement they were aware of the allegations.

"We will be speaking with Reading Football Club, Thames Valley Police and South Wales Police - in attendance with our travelling support - to ascertain the facts of the matter," said the Bluebirds.

"We will conduct these conversations with the relevant authorities before making any further comment."

A Football Association spokesperson said the body is aware of the allegations and will also be investigating.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Jan 2020 15:40

Four arrests for something that apparently didn’t happen

Amazing....

I’m guessing they just grabbed 4 randoms for looking a ‘a bit suspicious ‘ and will fit them up with a bit of fake camera work.

They should never be let across the bridge again.

I hope Cardiff apologise for demanding an apology.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jan 2020 16:14

Nameless Four arrests for something that apparently didn’t happen

Amazing....

I’m guessing they just grabbed 4 randoms for looking a ‘a bit suspicious ‘ and will fit them up with a bit of fake camera work.

Doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon by the looks of it. Still in total denial that anything untoward may have happened.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-reading-fa-cup-17632871.amp
Last edited by sandman on 26 Jan 2020 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 26 Jan 2020 17:59

sandman
Nameless Four arrests for something that apparently didn’t happen

Amazing....

Doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon by the looks of it. Still in total denial.

Well, there’s a bizarre explanation on their forum that someone was chanting Jack bastard rather than black... but clearly the steward was unconvinced.

Don’t get why they were so loud in the first half, then not so much in the second. Before starting flopping down all over the pitch, their team had the better of us mid-second half. With 10 men in opposition, I would have thought their fans would be screaming to support their team.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 Jan 2020 18:12

Singing Defective Well, there’s a bizarre explanation on their forum that someone was chanting Jack bastard rather than black... but clearly the steward was unconvinced.

It would be reasonable if aimed at a former Swansea player. Who would that be in our team on Saturday?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 26 Jan 2020 18:33

Looks as if the replay is on Tuesday February 4th KO 7.45pm.