MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by Billy Whitehurst

130 posts
Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by Billy Whitehurst

by Royals and Racers » 07 Feb 2020 11:35

Hendo Tbh, anyone picking the team without starting at the GK needs their head looking at. Just logical, more than anything else...

Probably the same people who eat kit-kats like this.

I bow to your superior knowledge- Rafael 1st followed in a milli second by Ejaria :D

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Feb 2020 11:44

Royals and Racers
Hendo Tbh, anyone picking the team without starting at the GK needs their head looking at. Just logical, more than anything else...

Probably the same people who eat kit-kats like this.

I bow to your superior knowledge- Rafael 1st followed in a milli second by Ejaria :D

Lost all respect for you. Buckled under some light pressure. You should have stood by your convictions.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 07 Feb 2020 12:02

Old Man Andrews
Westwood52
Royals and Racers Not sure why anyone thinks we would be a better side without Ejaria- 1st on the team sheet for me !!

I just think Ovie needs a bit of a break.He could be very dangerous if he comes in for the last twenty minutes or so.I struggle to see anything positive about Puskas.

*Puscas

I agree with the comment on Ejaria though.

That must be a first OMA.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Feb 2020 12:17

If we don't have a fit Joao-style target-man, then why do we not play the channels*?

(at least that's what I use to call it, escape balls not central but down the wings)

Baldock, Meite, Puscas should thrive with long balls down the wings to chase,
Meite especially, and our FBs WBs are also reasonably quick and energetic

As for Meite, he is deffo right wing or right of three strikers for me,
wasted when he is slowed down by having to knock back

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Feb 2020 14:10

Thinking MB may throw a bit of a curveball on this one and start Araruna...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2020 14:27

thinking he won't....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2020 14:28

Sutekh Thinking MB may throw a bit of a curveball on this one and start Araruna...

Not a chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Feb 2020 14:36

Sutekh Thinking MB may throw a bit of a curveball on this one and start Araruna...

For who? Pele? No way is he dropping one of, if not our most, consistent player over the last few weeks.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 Feb 2020 15:19

I am with those that would stick with Ejaria.
IMHO both he and Swift are such important players for us that when they have a few games when not at their very best I would stick with them and let them play themselves back into form rather than dropping either of them.

It's not as if we have an abundance of creative midfielders pushing for a start although Olise looks a player with a future and I won't have it that because Aluko has been less than bad for a few minutes that he in any way warrants a starting place.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2020 15:36

NewCorkSeth I'm not planning on ahitting on Puscas here but it might come across that way. Does anyone else feel he needs to start from the bench? For one there is too much pressure on him right now and Bowen almost never let's a striker play the full 90. He is never going to build up form if he starts and is hooked off after 60 minutes of flaccid attacking football.

I have been reasonably vocal in my opinion that our strikers are not the problem but our attacking play in the final third is. Against Cardiff our wide play seemed much better from what I could tell from the highlights but it's so rarely good that any striker we start is likely to struggle.

Bladock however is a safe bet to start. He is experienced, confident and his work off the ball is clever and will tire out defenders. Starting with Baldock and introducing Puscas later on would alleviate the pressure on Puscas and hopefully allow him to settle down and get his mojo back.

Didn't really work when we tried it vs Forest/Millwall though (although one could argue Puscas' presence got us the goal against Forest)

I think the reason our wide play "looked" better at Cardiff was because we had options in the box (hence Rinomhota bursting in). Against Bristol and the Cardiff league game, we had one or at tops two people in the box and when that occurs, the cross has to be exactly precise

Baldock was poor last Friday at Cardiff so not sure he'll start, reckon he'll go 4-2-3-1 with Meite up top and Swift/Ejaria in the hole

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2020 15:38

Snowflake Royal Starting with upfront, as that is probably the problem area and what you do there will influence how many you play in midfield and defence...

One up. Joao is the only one who has really convinced up front alone. He's not available, so it's just not viable. So 2 up front.

Meite is currently playing well and scoring. He may not be the most finesse player but he's following up last season's top scoring leading the charts again. Has to play.

Baldock is the experienced one who can help keep our younger strikers making good choices. His work rate is also really good. Has to play.

Puscas doesn't offer enough, doesn't score regularly enough and isn't playing well. Loader looks tidy but never does anything and is hardly capable of leading the line.

So it has to be Meite and Baldock upfront.

With Meite up top right wing options are limited, but McCleary did just have a good game against Cardiff. As did Richards and Obita. Plus there's Timbe. So I think we can play wingers. Plus Hull have lost their danger men, so defending in numbers is less crucial.

Swift has to play. And so must one of Rino and Pele. Rino had a good game vs Cardiff and gets up and down the pitch better. Pele got hook just after HT and is more defensive. I don't mind the choice here. With wingers we can't play 3 in mid.

So:

Cabral
Gunter, Morrison, Moore, Obita
McCleary, Swift, Rino*, Richards
Meite, Baldock

Walker, Blackett, Ejaria, Adam, Pele, Puscas, Timbe

*or Pele

Obita is better at crossing than Richards, who is better at running in people and cutting inside. I don't like my full backs dribbling into the box and taking people on there really.

With Meite upfront you want a decent number of crosses swung in from wide too, so GMc and Obita will help with that.

Reckon your team is pretty close but assuming fitness, I think McIntyre and Aluko will both be in and around the squad. For whom is another question mind

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2020 15:40

McDermott did something similar with George Evans, threw him in the deep end, completely unexpected, not sure many would have predicted that one

I doubt Bowen will do the same but just to add some context etc

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2020 16:46

Royals and Racers
NewCorkSeth
Royals and Racers Not sure why anyone thinks we would be a better side without Ejaria- 1st on the team sheet for me !!

What, before Rafael, Morrison, Swift and Pele?

Yes and Moore

Maybe when he stops spinning in circles and losing the ball and instead starts consistently creating and scoring goals.

Until then he's a bit of a light weight poor man's Swift.

Swift is way ahead of him in almost every aspect, and if you want to play 2 up, which we need there's no where for him without rearranging the whole side to crowbar him in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2020 16:51

URZZZZ

McDermott did something similar with George Evans, threw him in the deep end, completely unexpected, not sure many would have predicted that one

Nothing against Araruna, but what problem does he solve and what poor performer does he improve on?

Pele and Rino are extremely solid choices in midfield and Gunter has been fine at RB. He's certainly not coming in for Swift! He's not supposed to be an attacker so isn't like to score or create goals.

Timbe is maybe another matter.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2020 18:36

URZZZZ

Evans had just played half a season at Walsall in the division below then - not travelled half way round the world though

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 07 Feb 2020 19:27

If you want a laugh.
Taken from a Hull forum. Yes this from Hell! Sorry Hull :D

Reading is a **** tip, a **** oil & a general place of irrelevance. Berks from Berkshire, in the real world they’re simply ****s.

City 3 Reading **** all.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 07 Feb 2020 19:32

Royality creeps In If you want a laugh.
Taken from a Hull forum. Yes this from Hell! Sorry Hull :D

Reading is a **** tip, a **** oil & a general place of irrelevance. Berks from Berkshire, in the real world they’re simply ****s.

City 3 Reading **** all.

With prose like that it's no wonder Hull became a City of Culture.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2020 20:36

What’s the word before oil??

Berks from Berkshire is lame. Not sure it’s irrelevant nowadays either - prob getting on for the biggest town/city in the SE after London by population and almost certainly by economy size.

Actually think it’s top 10 economies in the U.K. I’m also guessing Hull isn’t...

But yeah whatevs

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 08 Feb 2020 03:47

thanks

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Feb 2020 07:00

Yeah but Hull has fish

130 posts