MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by Billy Whitehurst

130 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Hull City (h) sponsored by Billy Whitehurst

by SCIAG » 06 Feb 2020 19:51

McCleary-Aluko-Richards as our attacking midfielders gives us very little threat even when you factor in Swift behind them. McCleary is still useful but a shadow of his former self, Richards is a wing back at best, and Aluko is Aluko. I do wish people would stop getting carried away by single performances. Pick your strongest team not whoever happened to have twenty good minutes for the reserves.

For me:

------------------Rafael------------------
Gunter--Morrison--Moore---anyone
--------------------Pelé--------------------
---------Swift-------------Ejaria---------
Meite----------Puscas-------Baldock

Subs: Walker, McIntyre, Rinomhota, Adam, Aluko, Olise, Loader

Both our playmakers in central midfield, lots of threat from the wingers, and our best fit striker up front. That's the sort of team that has won us games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Feb 2020 20:33

SCIAG McCleary-Aluko-Richards as our attacking midfielders gives us very little threat even when you factor in Swift behind them. McCleary is still useful but a shadow of his former self, Richards is a wing back at best, and Aluko is Aluko. I do wish people would stop getting carried away by single performances. Pick your strongest team not whoever happened to have twenty good minutes for the reserves.

For me:

Both our playmakers in central midfield, lots of threat from the wingers, and our best fit striker up front. That's the sort of team that has won us games.

Yeah looks decent on paper that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Feb 2020 20:39

SCIAG McCleary-Aluko-Richards as our attacking midfielders gives us very little threat even when you factor in Swift behind them. McCleary is still useful but a shadow of his former self, Richards is a wing back at best, and Aluko is Aluko. I do wish people would stop getting carried away by single performances. Pick your strongest team not whoever happened to have twenty good minutes for the reserves.

For me:

To be fair, in one aspect, I’m not getting carried away with “single performances” in terms of the players coming out the XI. Because we haven’t looked a threat going forward since Fulham. Maybe bar a 15 minute spell against Forest. So in theory, that “twenty good minutes for the reserves” has trumped anything in the last month

I’m also aware we played some hard games in that run up. But I don’t think that justifies the inclusion of the likes of Ejaria and Puscas who have been non existent for 5 games straight now

I actually think Richards could be more than a wing back too, he’s got good dribbling and can get out of tricky scenarios yet his defending often lets him down. His crossing isn’t great but not many can cross in our team anyway

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2020 23:19

Hound

For me:

Apart from Puscas.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2020 06:26

Ejaria hasn’t been great recently either tbh

But I’ve absolutely no idea what he should go with tbh - haven’t watched the last couple and the cup win seems to have provided more questions than answers

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2020 08:20

Starting with upfront, as that is probably the problem area and what you do there will influence how many you play in midfield and defence...

One up. Joao is the only one who has really convinced up front alone. He's not available, so it's just not viable. So 2 up front.

Meite is currently playing well and scoring. He may not be the most finesse player but he's following up last season's top scoring leading the charts again. Has to play.

Baldock is the experienced one who can help keep our younger strikers making good choices. His work rate is also really good. Has to play.

Puscas doesn't offer enough, doesn't score regularly enough and isn't playing well. Loader looks tidy but never does anything and is hardly capable of leading the line.

So it has to be Meite and Baldock upfront.

With Meite up top right wing options are limited, but McCleary did just have a good game against Cardiff. As did Richards and Obita. Plus there's Timbe. So I think we can play wingers. Plus Hull have lost their danger men, so defending in numbers is less crucial.

Swift has to play. And so must one of Rino and Pele. Rino had a good game vs Cardiff and gets up and down the pitch better. Pele got hook just after HT and is more defensive. I don't mind the choice here. With wingers we can't play 3 in mid.

So:

Cabral
Gunter, Morrison, Moore, Obita
McCleary, Swift, Rino*, Richards
Meite, Baldock

Walker, Blackett, Ejaria, Adam, Pele, Puscas, Timbe

*or Pele

Obita is better at crossing than Richards, who is better at running in people and cutting inside. I don't like my full backs dribbling into the box and taking people on there really.

With Meite upfront you want a decent number of crosses swung in from wide too, so GMc and Obita will help with that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2020 08:22

Imagine leaving Blackett out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2020 09:10

think there's very very little to choose between Obita and Blackett. Happy with either

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Feb 2020 09:11

Snowflake Royal
Hound

For me:

Apart from Puscas.

Could put Olise out right and move Meite inside but I’d be a little concerned that we lacked physical presence up front then.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Feb 2020 09:54

I'm not planning on ahitting on Puscas here but it might come across that way. Does anyone else feel he needs to start from the bench? For one there is too much pressure on him right now and Bowen almost never let's a striker play the full 90. He is never going to build up form if he starts and is hooked off after 60 minutes of flaccid attacking football.

I have been reasonably vocal in my opinion that our strikers are not the problem but our attacking play in the final third is. Against Cardiff our wide play seemed much better from what I could tell from the highlights but it's so rarely good that any striker we start is likely to struggle.

Bladock however is a safe bet to start. He is experienced, confident and his work off the ball is clever and will tire out defenders. Starting with Baldock and introducing Puscas later on would alleviate the pressure on Puscas and hopefully allow him to settle down and get his mojo back.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Feb 2020 10:02

Not sure why anyone thinks we would be a better side without Ejaria- 1st on the team sheet for me !!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Feb 2020 10:04

Royals and Racers Not sure why anyone thinks we would be a better side without Ejaria- 1st on the team sheet for me !!

What, before Rafael, Morrison, Swift and Pele?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Feb 2020 10:06

NewCorkSeth
Royals and Racers Not sure why anyone thinks we would be a better side without Ejaria- 1st on the team sheet for me !!

Yes and Moore

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 07 Feb 2020 10:08

I just think Ovie needs a bit of a break.He could be very dangerous if he comes in for the last twenty minutes or so.I struggle to see anything positive about Puskas.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Feb 2020 10:11

Royals and Racers
NewCorkSeth

Yes and Moore

Ok. Just to make this clear, in your opinion, there is more of a debate to be had over who should start between Rafael and Walker than there is Swift and Ejaria?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2020 10:11

Westwood52

I just think Ovie needs a bit of a break.He could be very dangerous if he comes in for the last twenty minutes or so.I struggle to see anything positive about Puskas.

*Puscas

I agree with the comment on Ejaria though.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Feb 2020 10:32

NewCorkSeth
Royals and Racers
NewCorkSeth What, before Rafael, Morrison, Swift and Pele?

Yes and Moore

Ok. Just to make this clear, in your opinion, there is more of a debate to be had over who should start between Rafael and Walker than there is Swift and Ejaria?

No Ejaria is quality and so is Rafael. In the championship you need quality going forward to unlock defences- Ejaria provides that, Of course Rafael needs to play but not before Ejaria in my opinion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2020 10:33

just feel Ovie hasn't been at his absolute best since Fulham, when he was an absolute beast. No harm in giving him a few games off and putting Olise in

Wonder if its getting to the stage fairly soon when Puscas is advised to go off, sort his shoulder out and come back for next pre-season. I expect if we go out of the cup, and are marooned in mid table that may well happen

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Feb 2020 10:52

Tbh, anyone picking the team without starting at the GK needs their head looking at. Just logical, more than anything else...

Probably the same people who eat kit-kats like this.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Feb 2020 10:56

Hendo Tbh, anyone picking the team without starting at the GK needs their head looking at. Just logical, more than anything else...

Probably the same people who eat kit-kats like this.

That photo has just triggered me.......

130 posts