MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h) sponsored by Neil Clement

240 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h) sponsored by Neil Clement

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Feb 2020 17:21

Jagermesiter1871 Anyone else feel like joao is being looked back on with tinted glasses? He was decent for a few games but many were saying he was shit not long before and his hot streak lasted about 3 games. Is concerning that many seem to think he is the linchpin for this squad.

Yes, and this is my worry because because my Wednesday chum said this is exactly how he'd be:

Crap for a few games
Great for a few games
Injured for a while
Crap for a few games
Great for a few games
Injured for a while.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Feb 2020 17:23

Snowflake Royal
Jagermesiter1871 Anyone else feel like joao is being looked back on with tinted glasses? He was decent for a few games but many were saying he was shit not long before and his hot streak lasted about 3 games. Is concerning that many seem to think he is the linchpin for this squad.

Yes, and this is my worry because because my Wednesday chum said this is exactly how he'd be:

Crap for a few games
Great for a few games
Injured for a while
Crap for a few games
Great for a few games
Injured for a while.

Sounds like he is perfect for us, etc...

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Feb 2020 08:51

According to Opta in the Sky Sports match preview:

Only the current bottom three in the Championship (Barnsley, Wigan and Luton) have won fewer home points in the division this season than Reading (20).

I didn't realise that our home form was that poor. However this makes better reading for Reading:

Reading are unbeaten in their last seven home league games against West Bromwich Albion (W4 D3) since losing 2-0 in January 1995.

West Brom have only won three of their last 16 games against Reading in all competitions (W3 D6 L7).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2020 10:36

morganb According to Opta in the Sky Sports match preview:

Only the current bottom three in the Championship (Barnsley, Wigan and Luton) have won fewer home points in the division this season than Reading (20).

I didn't realise that our home form was that poor. However this makes better reading for Reading:

Reading are unbeaten in their last seven home league games against West Bromwich Albion (W4 D3) since losing 2-0 in January 1995.

West Brom have only won three of their last 16 games against Reading in all competitions (W3 D6 L7).

Gomes home record was abysmal this season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Feb 2020 10:48

Snowflake Royal

Crap for a few games
Great for a few games
Injured for a while
Crap for a few games
Great for a few games
Injured for a while.

Ultimately I don't think he is the answer if next season we want to push on towards promotion and I agree with those that say the longer he is out, the better he is thought to be.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 12 Feb 2020 14:28

Hope Robson-Kanu gets the round of applause he deserves when his name is read out later. Royals legend.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 12 Feb 2020 14:31

Zammo Hope Robson-Kanu gets the round of applause he deserves when his name is read out later. Royals legend.

And after that booed every time he touches the ball :D

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Feb 2020 14:59

We are 19th in the home form table but have played 1 or 2 less home games than the 5 clubs below us (the bottom 3, Hull & Huddersfield). A win tonight would see us jump to 13th or 14th in the home table depending on the score. A 2 goal win will see us 13th.

Away from home we are 11th - which just shows that if our home form was just average this season we would be in the play-off race.

We have lost 2 more home games than away games and only picked up 1 more point at home this season than on our travels. We will simply not challenge in this division again unless we sort out our home form.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Feb 2020 16:31

Stranded

We are 19th in the home form table but have played 1 or 2 less home games than the 5 clubs below us (the bottom 3, Hull & Huddersfield). A win tonight would see us jump to 13th or 14th in the home table depending on the score. A 2 goal win will see us 13th.

Away from home we are 11th - which just shows that if our home form was just average this season we would be in the play-off race.

We have lost 2 more home games than away games and only picked up 1 more point at home this season than on our travels. We will simply not challenge in this division again unless we sort out our home form.

Even if we sort it out, I expect we've left ourselves too much to do this season. Definitely something to fix and take into next season though.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Feb 2020 18:30

BRING ON THE KENYANS!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Feb 2020 19:03

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Feb 2020 19:05

Can't believe Aluko has an injury!

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Obita

Pele
Araruna

Meite
Swift
Ejaria

Puscas

Walker Blackett Richards Rinomhota Adam Olise Baldock

That's not a bad team but yet again, a terrible bench from Bowen. Once again, there's no pace/wingers on the bench but overloaded with midfielders and both Blackett and Richards is a complete waste

Would just add it's getting a bit irritating his constant swapping of Baldock and Puscas though, and if I was Adam (and to a lesser extent Rinomhota) I'd be seriously peeved watching Araruna walk into the XI ahead of them

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Feb 2020 19:08

Couldn't work out the formation from the team selection but I think your 4-2-3-1 is probably about right

Not too sure on the team, Araruna must be seriously impressive in training to walk into the midfield as you say. Think I'd rather have had Adam in there

And yes would rather have seen McCleary on the bench but pretty clear he is being phased out really. Richards and Baldock do provide a bit of pace up front/wing, and nice to see Olise back in and around

All in all, not too bad though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Feb 2020 19:10

Hound Couldn't work out the formation from the team selection but I think your 4-2-3-1 is probably about right

Not too sure on the team, Araruna must be seriously impressive in training to walk into the midfield as you say. Think I'd rather have had Adam in there

All in all, not too bad though.

Thinking about it, could actually be 4-1-4-1, with Pele holding, Araruna and Swift ahead, Ejaria and Meite out on the flanks and Puscas as a lone striker. Either way, it's a similar shape and actually has both Meite and Ejaria in their best positions which is a bonus

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 12 Feb 2020 19:23

Puscas a lone striker. Oh oh, hasn’t worked to date, he needs a partner to work off as doesn’t hold the ball up.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Feb 2020 19:28

Solid looking midfield. Could work. Hopefully Puscas has his 1 magic game out of 10 today.

Only question is where is the Kenyan Messi?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Feb 2020 19:31

Bristol Paul Puscas a lone striker. Oh oh, hasn’t worked to date, he needs a partner to work off as doesn’t hold the ball up.

Agree - what happened with playing Puscas & Baldock together? Worked well enough earlier in the season

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Feb 2020 19:34

Zammo Hope Robson-Kanu gets the round of applause he deserves when his name is read out later. Royals legend.

Take it you're taking the p1ss?

Useless waste of space when here and only tried when it was a big game.

He always thought he was above the club and premier league quality; well, the intervening years have proved he isn't and he's only ever been a bit part player at WBA.

He'll be one of the first players moved on when they go up.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Feb 2020 19:37

Just seen the Kenyan invasion on Facebook. It’s like Rourke's Drift.

Still - 3 Brazilians on the pitch tonight - is that a Madejski first?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Feb 2020 19:38

URZZZZ Can't believe Aluko has an injury!

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Obita

Pele
Araruna

Meite
Swift
Ejaria

Puscas

Walker Blackett Richards Rinomhota Adam Olise Baldock

That's not a bad team but yet again, a terrible bench from Bowen. Once again, there's no pace/wingers on the bench but overloaded with midfielders and both Blackett and Richards is a complete waste

Would just add it's getting a bit irritating his constant swapping of Baldock and Puscas though, and if I was Adam (and to a lesser extent Rinomhota) I'd be seriously peeved watching Araruna walk into the XI ahead of them

Most likely, it’s difficult to see another formation from that. Think MB is trying to stabilise things defensively and hoping to frustrate WBA with a well organised difficult to break down team.

240 posts