165 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Baggies

by leon » 13 Feb 2020 09:45

Stranded
leon
Stranded
How does giving him 12 extra months cause any real difference. It'll cost us next to nothing to remove him in the summer if we decide to do so.

We are struggling to find a way to play at the moment because of the lopsided nature of the squad he inherited, we don't have a lot of like for like replacements for injured players so we are having to try and find a way forward - to a degree I can understand why we are being defensive at the moment but it puts massive pressure on us to score from the very few chances we do actually create. Doesn't help that our set pieces are awfully taken usually - though they improved once Obita took over yesterday.

We have been looking over our shoulder year after year for 5 of the last 6 seasons now and changed managers what 4 times in that spell - it is the years of staleness that are causing fans to stay away plus the fact all home midweek games can be watched at home or in the pub now as well - changing the manager again won't change that - Bowen is doing a decent job but we have just completed a run of games including fixtures against the sides currently in 1st, 3rd, 5th (twice),6th, 7th and 8th - in isolation none of the poor results we picked up were that unexpected really but coming in a run makes it feel worse.

My point is we didn’t need to do anything.

Bowen has made a difference however we are slipping back into bad old habits - the lack of midfield movement is shocking contributing to the defensive overplaying.

This squad needs trimming down and some actual pace added. Agreed the summer is going to be important.

Yep we didn't need to do anything but my point is the extra year doesn't really change anything except we have a manager in place who, barring a terrible run in, will likely be able to plan for next season.

If Bowen didn't have the contract, we would enter the summer either trying to negotiate the extension or trying to find another manager when we need to be focusing on the squad - esp. as this summer we can free up a shed load of wages and have more FFP wiggle room - wasting a month or two not knowing who the manager is would hamper us.

Yeah it was a throw away comment let’s not get too worked up about it. Personally I’d have let him earn it the extension but the real issue is changing the mindset and the footballing approach of the squad.

Bowen had made a difference we just appear to have hit the buffers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Feb 2020 09:45

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine So what has happened to Ejaria and Swift? Last game I saw was at Fulham and they were both terrific, and we created plenty of chances.

Tired, been found out by the opposition.

What has been found out? Or rather what are the opposition doing now that Fulham didn't?

When we went on our good run its likely that other sides took notice of us and what makes us tick as a side. John Swift getting the ball makes us tick so if you notice in recent weeks he has seen a lot less of it, he gets shut down, man marked a little bit too.
Ejaria is a show pony (a very good one), opposition managers will know he is a very tricky player but sometimes doesn't have an end product. He is being allowed to do his tricks away from the opposition goal but then he is normally doubled up on when he gets in a danger zone.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 13 Feb 2020 09:46

Losing at home by the odd goal in three to the top team, not a total disaster.

My gripe is, and one or two folks have mentioned this, is that surely the players can not just "see out" the remainder of the
season !! There are still 14 league games to go. If we lose to Sheff Utd, then it would be awful to just play out the remaining
ten games of the season. The club and players simply have to provide something to give the fans a reason to turn up.

And by the way, the infamous Sky Red button no doubt is impacting midweek Championship attendances. Not just ours.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 13 Feb 2020 09:47

That was dispiriting,we seriously discussed leaving as soon as the Baggies hit four.Which based on their first half performance seemed likely.Yet once they scored their second,they switched off and allowed us back into the game.In view of this I couldn’t understand so many people leaving with 5 minutes to go,when it was still only two one.
TBF to us,we were up against a very good side,obviously well coached and meticulously put together.
Bearing this in mind,IMHO :

Rafael 5 While there was a parting of the waves in front of him,he was at fault for the first,failing to push his save out of the danger zone.

Yids 6 Good to see him back,almost back to normal service.His booking was ridiculous.
Obita 5 It wasn’t all bad,but he just didn’t produce.We will really need a new LB,next season,once Blackett goes.TBF his corners are better than Swifts.
Moore 5 A very difficult game for him,given the quality he was facing.
Morrison 5 Tried hard,but he just found he couldn’t cope with the movement and interplay.
Pele 7 Probably our best player,but too many missed passes.
Swift 4 TBF,he was caught so often,because there was no movement around him.
Ejaria 5 Typical Ovie.Some mesmerising bits of play,but zero end product.
Arune 4 Why did we get him ? He’s neat and tidy,but so easily overrun.
Meite 5 Not his day,but tried hard as usual.
George 3 I now feel sorry for him,cuts a lonely disconsolate figure;going through hell.

Rino We looked better with him on.Must start with Pele on Saturday.
Baldock Zero effect,but put in an effort.
Adam So late in the game,he tried to force an equaliser,and just got it all wrong.

Sadly the comparisons between Bowen’s coaching team and Bilics were stark.

Finally the Ref.I now realise we have had some pretty decent refs since Xmas,then we get this joker,who was totally inadequate.Despite giving us the penalty,he was almost biased from that point in.So inconsistent.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Feb 2020 09:49

Barney Losing at home by the odd goal in three to the top team, not a total disaster.

My gripe is, and one or two folks have mentioned this, is that surely the players can not just "see out" the remainder of the
season !! There are still 14 league games to go. If we lose to Sheff Utd, then it would be awful to just play out the remaining
ten games of the season
. The club and players simply have to provide something to give the fans a reason to turn up.

And by the way, the infamous Sky Red button no doubt is impacting midweek Championship attendances. Not just ours.

Why? There are always a few clubs in our position every year, why shouldn't it be us this year.

Yes, it is disappointing to be sleepwalking towards the end of the season with seemingly nothing to play for, but it happens to a lot of clubs, every year.

100% agreed on the red button having an impact on mid-week attendances.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Feb 2020 09:52

Hendo
Barney Losing at home by the odd goal in three to the top team, not a total disaster.

ten games of the season
. The club and players simply have to provide something to give the fans a reason to turn up.

The clubs short-sighted approach to this annoys me, not nearly enough is done to encourage people to come for midweek games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Feb 2020 09:54

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine
Old Man Andrews Tired, been found out by the opposition.

What has been found out? Or rather what are the opposition doing now that Fulham didn't?

When we went on our good run its likely that other sides took notice of us and what makes us tick as a side. John Swift getting the ball makes us tick so if you notice in recent weeks he has seen a lot less of it, he gets shut down, man marked a little bit too.
Ejaria is a show pony (a very good one), opposition managers will know he is a very tricky player but sometimes doesn't have an end product. He is being allowed to do his tricks away from the opposition goal but then he is normally doubled up on when he gets in a danger zone.

As mentioned, this is true. I also think they both look a bit shot mentally. They must have played 40 odd games each when they are expected to deliver, and the opposition know they are key to how we play. Its taken its toll clearly. Ejaria's first real season as well.

To be fair to them, they're playing poorly but they are still pulling their weight, tracking back, trying to get involved. Its just not quite happening. Honestly think its nothing a few games out of the firing line won't fix.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Feb 2020 09:55

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

ten games of the season

The clubs short-sighted approach to this annoys me, not nearly enough is done to encourage people to come for midweek games.

Saturday’s attendance was hardly amazing either though

Of course the red button has a slight affect but the main factor is the entertainment value. You serve up dross on the pitch, what do you expect

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Feb 2020 09:55

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

ten games of the season

What would you do? Genuinely interested.

I believe the club had the mates rates in place for last nights game.

I have no idea what the club should do, short of giving out free tickets, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense financially.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Feb 2020 10:02

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

I have no idea what the club should do, short of giving out free tickets, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense financially.

I would make tickets half price on midweek games, promote the hell out of it too. The club might have a mates rates thing in place but I haven't heard of it before, certainly not enough to tell you what it is. It is poorly communicated.

Treble Royalty points for midweek games.

A midweek games only season ticket

Discounts of food and drinks

A better matchday experience all round. The stadium is like a morgue prior to kick off. The speakers that play out the music sound TERRIBLE and the music is way too quiet. Lets get some tunes going and some lighting effects etc. Make the games seem important.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 13 Feb 2020 10:09

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ
Jagermesiter1871 Find it odd you thought Meite was good and Puscas was poor. For me neither were great but had so little service.

Pele was good/ok. Ejaria and Swift awful. Obita, Puscas, Meite ok. Rafael mare first half, fine 2nd. Rest poor to average. Rino made a difference when came on.

I’d be interested to hear why you thought Rafael had a mare first half :?:

He made an horrendous error for the goal and he was very fortunate to not concede a shocker early on as he let a tame shot squirm under his body.

Anything else or are you done being simple?

What an odious little twerp you are :lol:

For the goal he made the save despite having poor visibility through the players, but he will probably be a bit disappointed he didn’t tip it away further.

Other than that, he made a series of decent saves to take us into the break level.

Maybe try and engage your brain a bit more rather than trying to live up to your desperate Internet personality.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Feb 2020 10:11

URZZZZZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ
I’d be interested to hear why you thought Rafael had a mare first half :?:

He made an horrendous error for the goal and he was very fortunate to not concede a shocker early on as he let a tame shot squirm under his body.

For the goal he made the save despite having poor visibility through the players, but he will probably be a bit disappointed he didn’t tip it away further.

Other than that, he made a series of decent saves to take us into the break level.

Maybe try and engage your brain a bit more rather than trying to live up to your desperate Internet personality.

Nope. OMA is right. Rafael was poor in the first half.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Feb 2020 10:17

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZZZZZ
Old Man Andrews He made an horrendous error for the goal and he was very fortunate to not concede a shocker early on as he let a tame shot squirm under his body.

I agree, had their first shot not hit the bar, everyone would've slated him for an awful error. It was a poor attempt at a save and he got lucky.

That was probably the worse half I have seen him play, as he has been otherwise excellent for us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Feb 2020 10:23

Hendo
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZZZZZ

I agree, had their first shot not hit the bar, everyone would've slated him for an awful error. It was a poor attempt at a save and he got lucky.

That was probably the worse half I have seen him play, as he has been otherwise excellent for us.

He has certainly grown into the game with us this season. He clearly works hard and has improved a huge amount from his early showings where I thought he looked a bit "meh". He, of course, isnt helped by our lack of long ball options but what most impressed me about him is his decision making. He is almost always a few seconds ahead of our outfield players when counter attacking. Blackett I suppose did well in making moves up the flank to bring us up the pitch.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Feb 2020 10:24

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

I would make tickets half price on midweek games, promote the hell out of it too. The club might have a mates rates thing in place but I haven't heard of it before, certainly not enough to tell you what it is. It is poorly communicated.

A better matchday experience all round. The stadium is like a morgue prior to kick off. The speakers that play out the music sound TERRIBLE and the music is way too quiet. Lets get some tunes going and some lighting effects etc. Make the games seem important.

I agree that they need to promote midweek games more and the mates rates is poorly communicated.

Half price tickets isn't a bad idea, however you then risk STHs getting all antsy about, you remember the fallout from them announcing that the Burton game was £10 for the 500th game a couple of years ago? A load of STHs were up in arms about that.

I like the royals points thing, but again you have the STH issue because you get a set total at the beginning of the season, unless STHs get bonus points for actually going and/or bringing a friend etc. Also, we don't exactly have a bunch of games which require loyalty points at the moment so people may not be too bothered by that.

Midweek only ST - innovative, I like it but how many people would actually take that offer, I don't think it would be too high, due to the red button issue and the hassle it can be getting to the ground during the week.

Discounts on food and drinks - think this should 100% be a thing the club could explore for midweek games only. Although it would have to be limited to inside the stadium only as I don't think they have any say on the vendors outside the ground, plus the food outside the ground is actually worth the prices they charge!

Its a tough one but the club should try a few things, even if they don't work at least they are trying.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Feb 2020 10:25

NewCorkSeth
Hendo
NewCorkSeth Nope. OMA is right. Rafael was poor in the first half.

He has certainly grown into the game with us this season. He clearly works hard and has improved a huge amount from his early showings where I thought he looked a bit "meh". He, of course, isnt helped by our lack of long ball options but what most impressed me about him is his decision making. He is almost always a few seconds ahead of our outfield players when counter attacking. Blackett I suppose did well in making moves up the flank to bring us up the pitch.

Agree, something I have noticed in the last 2 games is his willingness to roll the ball out quickly, which is certainly encouraging. The problem is then we are just too slow to keep it moving.

billybraggsbeard

by billybraggsbeard » 13 Feb 2020 10:28

Thought the guy Pereirra was superb for them, they pressed high and gave us very little room, looked a good side, best away side since Leeds. I get the lack of service to Puscas without wingers but Christ would it hurt him to close things down at speed like Baldock once in a while, fans say he has pace to burn but seldom see it, we desperately need Joao back

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Feb 2020 10:28

Hendo
NewCorkSeth
Hendo

Agree, something I have noticed in the last 2 games is his willingness to roll the ball out quickly, which is certainly encouraging. The problem is then we are just too slow to keep it moving.

Something that may well change with Yiadom who is very good at shuttling the ball up the pitch. Gunter, despite being in good form, simply doesnt move forward enough. I said it a while ago but during our peak play in December our left hand side combinations of Blackett, Swift and Ejaria were fantastic and Yiadom coming back would give us the ability to replicate that on both flanks.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Feb 2020 10:30

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

I agree that they need to promote midweek games more and the mates rates is poorly communicated.

Half price tickets isn't a bad idea, however you then risk STHs getting all antsy about, you remember the fallout from them announcing that the Burton game was £10 for the 500th game a couple of years ago? A load of STHs were up in arms about that.

I like the royals points thing, but again you have the STH issue because you get a set total at the beginning of the season, unless STHs get bonus points for actually going and/or bringing a friend etc. Also, we don't exactly have a bunch of games which require loyalty points at the moment so people may not be too bothered by that.

Midweek only ST - innovative, I like it but how many people would actually take that offer, I don't think it would be too high, due to the red button issue and the hassle it can be getting to the ground during the week.

Discounts on food and drinks - think this should 100% be a thing the club could explore for midweek games only. Although it would have to be limited to inside the stadium only as I don't think they have any say on the vendors outside the ground, plus the food outside the ground is actually worth the prices they charge!

Its a tough one but the club should try a few things, even if they don't work at least they are trying.

I agree with your comments. The STH would be an issue for sure but if you go into the season with the half price midweek tickets policy already in place you can adjust the ST cost accordingly, I don't think you could suddenly change the pricing this season for the reasons you outlined.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Feb 2020 10:33

yuomi Make no mistake, unless something major changes, this team is long overdue an absolute pasting.

We're *painfully* easy to play against. Unbelievably negative at home and cannot seem to shake this lazy, disjointed and disinterested malaise for 75 out of every 90 minutes.

Every single team we play against currently seems as though they have at least 2 extra players (3 if you count the ref tonight) and it's getting worse.

1,2 or 3 men up front, none of them are going to score with the scraps we're feeding them.

WBA were a long way from great, and we're a long way from safe.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts - all of it. WBA were superb.

Baldock came on and showed how that lone striker role should be done. Puscas was so poor. Such a disappointing purchase. We are crying out for wingers with pace. Where is Mo Barrow when you need him.

Want us to secure those 2 wins required and then see some more positive play and formations. Even going back to a good old 4-4-2.

165 posts