165 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Baggies

by morganb » 13 Feb 2020 17:16

Forbury Lion
Snowball
morganb
It might be a bit tricky to find 20+ different haircuts but are players allowed to wear wigs (or hats) on the pitch? You'd only need 11 and when someone is subbed off they could swap headgear like when a subbed captain hands over the armband. They could also sell replicas in the club shop.

They could wear coloured bathing caps. Excellent idea

Also they could have little cameras on top so we can see their view of the miss etc
You can award them caps for appearances and make them wear them during the game.... or make the players repeatedly call out their numbers like they're playing kabade

And following in the footsteps of Inflatables Day and Portugal Day, we could have Hats Day where everyone in the crowd has to wear a hat.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Feb 2020 18:59

morganb
Forbury Lion
Snowball

They could wear coloured bathing caps. Excellent idea

Also they could have little cameras on top so we can see their view of the miss etc
You can award them caps for appearances and make them wear them during the game.... or make the players repeatedly call out their numbers like they're playing kabade

And following in the footsteps of Inflatables Day and Portugal Day, we could have Hats Day where everyone in the crowd has to wear a hat.

Only way we’ll ever see a hat trick.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Feb 2020 19:36

Sutekh
morganb
Forbury Lion You can award them caps for appearances and make them wear them during the game.... or make the players repeatedly call out their numbers like they're playing kabade

Only way we’ll ever see a hat trick.

Apart from the one we’ve already had this season ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Feb 2020 19:58

paultheroyal On reflection - Baldock's cameo coming on was a clear message to Bowen and the team for that matter. This is how you press, this is how you fluster the opposition. Never saw any of that from Puscas whole game.

Please remind me how many goals Balcock has this season? I`m sick to death with all this Puscas hammering, he`s only got 8, but thats twice has much as Baldock, you can run as much as you like, but if there are no goals it`s exactly the same net result.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Feb 2020 22:52

windermereROYAL
paultheroyal On reflection - Baldock's cameo coming on was a clear message to Bowen and the team for that matter. This is how you press, this is how you fluster the opposition. Never saw any of that from Puscas whole game.

Please remind me how many goals Balcock has this season? I`m sick to death with all this Puscas hammering, he`s only got 8, but thats twice has much as Baldock, you can run as much as you like, but if there are no goals it`s exactly the same net result.

Give me a player who contributes to win the ball, retain the ball, pass the ball, harry the opposition into mistakes and scores in about 1 in 5 games over a player who scores in about 1 in 6 games and does sod all else.

Puscas' record is totally skewed by one good hat-trick against Cardiff. Take that out and his record is 1 goal per 5 games or scoring goals in 1 in 8 games.

It's not like he even won the penalty. He just took it. And we've seen the other day we've got a few decent penalty takers.

Now there's a player in there to develop and hang on to, but he needs a shit ton of coaching and development. And he's really not contributing enough to the team.

Baldock sets and excellent example and you quite often see him talking to the other forwards, directing the through the game.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Feb 2020 23:30

League Goals and Minutes Played per Goal 2019-20

25 1,626 7 0 232 232 Puscas League 19-20
16 0,827 3 0 278 278 Baldock League 19-20
26 1,721 5 1 344 287 Meite League 19-20

Puscas, despite not playing at his best, clearly being played out of position,
having a fairly nasty shoulder injury has scored 7 league goals this season.

He has a goal for every 232 minutes. About 1 every 2.5 games

Baldock, in the league has scored just three goals at a rate of 1 every 278 minutes (3.1 games)

Neither has any league assists, although I'd argue Puscas was a very large factor in the Cardiff OG

Meite's figures are distorted by cup goals

His League Goals are just 5 at a rate of 344 minutes per goal or 1 every 3.8 games)

Even if you add Meite's assist "as a goal" he still comes out 3rd of the 3 on goal-contributions.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 13 Feb 2020 23:38

Snowball League Goals and Minutes Played per Goal 2019-20

Baldock, in the league has scored just three goals at a rate of 1 every 278 minutes (3.1 games)

Neither has any league assists, although I'd argue Puscas was a very large factor in the Cardiff OG

His League Goals are just 5 at a rate of 344 minutes per goal or 1 every 3.8 games)

Even if you add Meite's assist "as a goal" he still comes out 3rd of the 3 on goal-contributions.

How’s Puscas being played out of position? He’s a striker, being played up front.

The issue to me is the personnel surrounding him. Playing Baldock alongside him would likely get the best out of both players. QPR away is an example of how they linked up very well together. The downside is then what happens to the midfield...Bowen has admitted this previously. He wants to win the midfield battle, but realises the 2 up top can work.

To me it’s a shame Baldock is not quite technical enough or score enough to play the lone striker role. He clearly understands the game very well, and his work rate is better than the other strikers.

But if Ejaria and/or Swift are bang out of form, it might be the time to do this.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Feb 2020 23:42

Looking at Baldock and Meite's contributions
over 2-3 seasons for Reading

LEAGUE

25 1626 07 Goals = 232 Minutes per Goal Puscas
77 4589 18 Goals = 255 Minutes per Goal Meite (3)
37 2191 08 Goals = 274 Minutes per Goal Baldock (2)

Nobody would argue that Puscas is playing out of his skin (ATM)
so, IMO his strike rate of 232 minutes (playing below par and
out of position) suggests that used correctly, with reasonable
service, he should easily score a goal every other game.

Over the last few seasons Reading have shown top ability at
NOT getting the best out of strikers, Vydra, Sharp, Grabban...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Feb 2020 23:47

Notts Royal

How’s Puscas being played out of position? He’s a striker, being played up front.

He isn't suited to be the single one-up-top, at least not if he's going to be asked
to play with his back to goal. He is just NOT a target man.

He has to play as one of a pair, and that pairing has to be GROWN, like any
half-decent front two.

While we don't have a "Joao" we need to rethink. That's been obvious for a while now.

IMO we are slowly destroying Puscas' morale. But he is still our top-scorer in the league

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Feb 2020 23:52

Incidentally, Baldock's all-time Championship stats are:

173 Appearances 11,144 Minutes - 41 Goals at 272 minutes per goal

He has never been better than a goal every 3 games

Add in League Assists he looks better

173 Appearances 11,144 Minutes - 41 Goals 19 Assists = 186 Minutes per G/A

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Feb 2020 23:52

Notts Royal

The issue to me is the personnel surrounding him. Playing Baldock alongside him would likely get the best out of both players. QPR away is an example of how they linked up very well together. The downside is then what happens to the midfield...Bowen has admitted this previously. He wants to win the midfield battle, but realises the 2 up top can work.

To me it’s a shame Baldock is not quite technical enough or score enough to play the lone striker role. He clearly understands the game very well, and his work rate is better than the other strikers.

But if Ejaria and/or Swift are bang out of form, it might be the time to do this.

Baldock and Puscas could be a good option again to be fair. I'm not sure they've started a league game together since Brentford (A) where Baldock went off injured but before that, they were a good duo against QPR, Millwall and Luton

They're both a waste of time as a lone striker though, both completely ineffective, Baldock never really looks like he's ever going to score as a lone striker and Puscas isn't intelligent enough yet to play the role properly, too many loose touches, passes etc

I think right now the options up top have to be Meite, Meite + Baldock, or Puscas + Baldock. IMO, Meite and Puscas or Puscas/Baldock as a lone striker is a complete no no

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Feb 2020 23:56

I don't rate Meite as a number 9

For me he doesn't have the nous to be a good hold-up man

I think he's best as wide right, as RW or wide of 3 strikers.

For a big bloke he doesn't really rough up defenders, he doesn't win enough headers,
and I can't think of any/many great header-downs, or flicks that have fed team-mates.

He's about power, hard running, especially on the right wing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Feb 2020 23:58

Snowball I don't rate Meite as a number 9

For a big bloke he doesn't really rough up defenders, he doesn't win enough headers,
and I can't think of any/many great header-downs, or flicks that have fed team-mates.

I agree with you, and it's not an ideal solution, but in games where we want to perhaps pack the midfield up, I think he is more suited than Baldock or Puscas are

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Feb 2020 06:50

Snowball
Notts Royal

He isn't suited to be the single one-up-top, at least not if he's going to be asked
to play with his back to goal. He is just NOT a target man.

He has to play as one of a pair, and that pairing has to be GROWN, like any
half-decent front two.

While we don't have a "Joao" we need to rethink. That's been obvious for a while now.

IMO we are slowly destroying Puscas' morale. But he is still our top-scorer in the league

It is true that one or two of the team, and HNA contributors, need to grow a pair

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 14 Feb 2020 07:01

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZZZZZ
Hendo
I agree, had their first shot not hit the bar, everyone would've slated him for an awful error. It was a poor attempt at a save and he got lucky.

That was probably the worse half I have seen him play, as he has been otherwise excellent for us.

I clearly remember him making some really smart saves low down in the first half.

You can say he got lucky with the one that hit the bar, but ultimately he kept it out - which is what he’s there to do. Strikers don’t have their goal tally besmirched if they scuff one into the corner, so keepers shouldn’t have that treatment if they do just enough to keep a shot out.

Just admit you're wrong maybe?

There’s no wrong or right to be fair, it’s open to everyone’s interpretation. I thought he did well for the most part, you disagree - that’s fair enough.

I won’t wait for a response, your head has probably exploded trying to compute this level of compromise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2020 08:21

Oh how I haven't missed the snowball spamstatbollocks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2020 12:37

Snowflake Royal Oh how I haven't missed the snowball spamstatbollocks.

you actually read them???

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2020 12:43

Hound
Snowflake Royal Oh how I haven't missed the snowball spamstatbollocks.

you actually read them???

A bit on the first post to check out how he's misusing data this time then a brief skim as I scroll past post 2, 3 and 4.

For a published lecturer his presentation is abysmal.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 14 Feb 2020 17:31

Barney
And by the way, the infamous Sky Red button no doubt is impacting midweek Championship attendances. Not just ours.

Yeah, agreed, having flicked through the Tuesday games on it, some stadiums had crowds a bit low for a U18 side, never mind League 1...

Also, 1871 was full, East stand slightly less than normal, but not empty. The main lack was in the ED, which, this being a school night, is understandable.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Feb 2020 17:48

Snowball I don't rate Meite as a number 9

Thought that was his natural position, i.e. on the wing.

165 posts