Bowen Out.

320 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bowen Out.

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2020 12:12

Tony Le Mesmer There has been an improvement under Bowen, no doubt about that.

But given the huge amounts the club has invested in player recruitment, I would say that a top 6 finish (or top 6 form) is the absolute bare minimum the club should be achieving this season. Anything else should be considered a failure.

Bowen obviously hasn't been coaching the team all season, but I wouldn't be giving him any more than 7/10 so far.

On the field, the team is at least starting to move in the right direction.

We had 8 points after 11 games, nearly a quarter of a season. To get to around the 74 point mark needed to grab a play-off spot we would have needed to pick up 66pts in 35 games that is challenging for the title form.

We are picking up points at a rate now that, if we had been picking them up at the same rate since August would see us up on 51 points - so 2 points outside the play-offs.

The fact we aren't is all on Gomes and the start we made - Bowen is doing all he can - taking a squad who could make the play-offs and having them in play-off form - not much he can do about the start under another manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2020 13:00

But given the huge amounts the club has invested in player recruitment, I would say that a top 6 finish (or top 6 form) is the absolute bare minimum the club should be achieving this season. Anything else should be considered a failure.

Bowen obviously hasn't been coaching the team all season, but I wouldn't be giving him any more than 7/10 so far.

That's insane. Last season 20th and Bowen took over a team in disarray. None of the big spending was his either.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Feb 2020 13:14

Just noticed on whoscored that Ejaria, 19th overall
is FIFTH in the league for away games only.

He's way down in 50th for home form

OVERALL
Home 14th - - - - Away 3rd - - - - - SWIFT
Home 50th - - - - Away 4th - - - - - -Ejaria

OFFENSIVE

Away 3rd SWIFT
Away 5th EJARIA

I guess, away from home, more counter-attacking, these two can shine
but at home we're slower/defences more packed?

Would take a brave man, but maybe a different midfield home/away?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 13:18

Stats..... Every day stats........

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Feb 2020 13:55

Plain fact is that MB is taking the club in the right direction and the form of the team is now somewhere near it’s capability.

The next stage in his management is for MB to make the right calls over the summer so that the current deficiencies and inconsistencies are reduced as much as possible and the club can at last mount a serious challenge for promotion.

Would also imagine that there will also be some tactical and team selection surprises in some of the remaining games as the manager looks to gain more information about his squad and aid some of those close season decisions

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Feb 2020 14:08

Stranded

We had 8 points after 11 games, nearly a quarter of a season. To get to around the 74 point mark needed to grab a play-off spot we would have needed to pick up 66pts in 35 games that is challenging for the title form.

We are picking up points at a rate now that, if we had been picking them up at the same rate since August would see us up on 51 points - so 2 points outside the play-offs.

The fact we aren't is all on Gomes and the start we made - Bowen is doing all he can - taking a squad who could make the play-offs and having them in play-off form - not much he can do about the start under another manager.

Not much he can do about the start? I would disagree. He was Director of Football, or something to that effect. They have some influence over how well a team is performing on the pitch, albeit indirectly and certainly hidden in the most part to the general public.

He's doing OK as a coach, mostly in getting the players to apply themselves better. But comparing him to the previous coach who vastly under performed will make him look better than he is.

As you say, we are around top 6 on form under Bowen. Good, but that's the minimum we should expect with our budget. Over the last couple of seasons, you would struggle to find a more under performing club in English football than Reading. We have spent an absolute fortune on transfer and more so on wages. We are now somewhere close to the benchmark in terms of results, but nothing more than that.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2020 14:10

Tony Le Mesmer
Stranded

Not much he can do about the start? I would disagree. He was Director of Football, or something to that effect. They have some influence over how well a team is performing on the pitch, albeit indirectly and certainly hidden in the most part to the general public.

He's doing OK as a coach, mostly in getting the players to apply themselves better. But comparing him to the previous coach who vastly under performed will make him look better than he is.

As you say, we are around top 6 on form under Bowen. Good, but that's the minimum we should expect with our budget. Over the last couple of seasons, you would struggle to find a more under performing club in English football than Reading. We have spent an absolute fortune on transfer and more so on wages. We are now somewhere close to the benchmark in terms of results, but nothing more than that.

LOLWUT? :|

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 14:11

Hendo
Tony Le Mesmer
Stranded

LOLWUT? :|

He has gone on record saying more or less the exact opposite. He spoke to Gomes when Gomes approached him on footballing issues. Bowen's focus was recruitment and Bearwood.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 17 Feb 2020 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2020 14:16

Tony Le Mesmer
Stranded

I'd have to try and find interviews from the time he was installed but I am sure it is on record that this DoF role was more to do with the rest of the club and not the 1st team - he would chat with Gomes but the tactics and team selection were all Gomes. If you are knocking down Bowen because we should be a play off team but he has them playing to play-off standard and just the poor start by someone who isn't him means we aren't in the mix, well that seems a little strange.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Feb 2020 14:59

Stranded
Tony Le Mesmer
Stranded

I'd have to try and find interviews from the time he was installed but I am sure it is on record that this DoF role was more to do with the rest of the club and not the 1st team - he would chat with Gomes but the tactics and team selection were all Gomes. If you are knocking down Bowen because we should be a play off team but he has them playing to play-off standard and just the poor start by someone who isn't him means we aren't in the mix, well that seems a little strange.

Im not knocking down Bowen.

We have gone from being under performing to about Par. Nothing more than that.

And some of you think the DOF influencing player recruitment in the summer transfer window doesn't have a strong influence on results. OK then. OK.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2020 15:05

Tony Le Mesmer
Stranded
Tony Le Mesmer

Im not knocking down Bowen.

We have gone from being under performing to about Par. Nothing more than that.

And some of you think the DOF influencing player recruitment in the summer transfer window doesn't have a strong influence on results. OK then. OK.

Again - I believe he is on record that this role did not involve first team recruitment - happy to see proof to the opposite though. He was Sporting Director and not DoF by the way.

He was also appointed to that role after the transfer window had closed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Feb 2020 17:31

Tony Le Mesmer
Stranded

What a crock of shit.

Gomes asked him to step back from coaching and tactics where he'd had a little input last season.
Pitch side and training has never had anything to do with our DoF role before or since.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Feb 2020 12:39

I'm undecided on Bowen.

He can't be blamed for the start of the season and he's had patches of great results since taking over. He's also had patches of not so great football. Much like Gomes I suppose although obviously ppg Bowen has done much better.

He can only really be judged after a summer rest, some dealings, decent preseason and then see how we start next season. I suspect he'll do ok but I wouldn't be surprised if we make a couple of good signings and come next Xmas we're doing ok-ish but not really a strong playoff side and people will be arguing he should be doing better with the squad and after lots of debate we end up keeping him till the end of the season. I'm optimistic that he will get us up into playoff spots though, to be fair.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Feb 2020 12:44

You're undecided but think he is good enough to get us into the playoffs eventually?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2020 13:02

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm undecided on Bowen.

He can't be blamed for the start of the season and he's had patches of great results since taking over. He's also had patches of not so great football. Much like Gomes I suppose although obviously ppg Bowen has done much better.

He can only really be judged after a summer rest, some dealings, decent preseason and then see how we start next season. I suspect he'll do ok but I wouldn't be surprised if we make a couple of good signings and come next Xmas we're doing ok-ish but not really a strong playoff side and people will be arguing he should be doing better with the squad and after lots of debate we end up keeping him till the end of the season. I'm optimistic that he will get us up into playoff spots though, to be fair.

I'd settle for midtable consolidation again. Put a bit of distance to our relegation struggles.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Feb 2020 14:49

If the table is done from the moment Bowen was appointed - where would we be league position wise? Anyone done that stat?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Feb 2020 14:54

paultheroyal If the table is done from the moment Bowen was appointed - where would we be league position wise? Anyone done that stat?

We'd be 11th, four points off the top 6.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/co ... -and-away/

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Feb 2020 14:59

genome
paultheroyal If the table is done from the moment Bowen was appointed - where would we be league position wise? Anyone done that stat?

Excellent - thank you.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Feb 2020 15:23

paultheroyal
genome

Excellent - thank you.

Table misses off the Preston win in his first game

Makes us 7th - 1 point outside the top 6.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Feb 2020 15:26

Yep - my bad

320 posts