Bowen Out.

320 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bowen Out.

by URZZZZ » 24 Feb 2020 01:27

Hound After a good run, our recent home form has been w@nk

It’s a test these next two - 2 inconsistent teams but who have proven capable of pulling off big results. If we don’t pick up at least 3 points, then a few questions will certainly be asked of how we are setting up at home (seem to be pretty solid away)

Bit of advice I’d give to the players against Wigan would not to panic if they go a goal down. Wigan have dropped a shed load of points from winning positions this season and seem to crumble on late in games

Personally think we’ll get 4 points which will keep us ticking along nicely

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 24 Feb 2020 07:47

Lower West
Wimb Throughout Howe's tenure the transfer policy has been muddled and inconsistent, dating back to the Steve Clarke loan army of 2015/16.

Not Howe's role to decide which players are bought. Far too many owners are buying into football clubs with the expectation that money alone buys promotion.

That's my point though. Who's been sanctioning deals and who's been given the deciding vote? Manager, Owners, Chief Exec, DoF?

From Despair To Where? I would say that since Howe has returned, our transfer dealings have been a lot more purposeful, although that could be as much down to Gourlay leaving.

I'd agree that this most recent spell has been far better than the last. However, there's still concerns about sustainability and turning down good bids for players like Loader. Still, as long as there's a consistent and reasoned plan, I'm happy to see how it plays out.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 07:53

Wimb
Lower West
Wimb Throughout Howe's tenure the transfer policy has been muddled and inconsistent, dating back to the Steve Clarke loan army of 2015/16.

Not Howe's role to decide which players are bought. Far too many owners are buying into football clubs with the expectation that money alone buys promotion.

That's my point though. Who's been sanctioning deals and who's been given the deciding vote? Manager, Owners, Chief Exec, DoF?

From Despair To Where? I would say that since Howe has returned, our transfer dealings have been a lot more purposeful, although that could be as much down to Gourlay leaving.

I'd agree that this most recent spell has been far better than the last. However, there's still concerns about sustainability and turning down good bids for players like Loader. Still, as long as there's a consistent and reasoned plan, I'm happy to see how it plays out.

Do you not feel we need a bit of a fire sale this summer? The likes of Loader, Moore, Puscas, Barrow, Swift should all be cashed in on imo, lets reinvest that money in hardworking younger players with a huge potential and rebuild.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Feb 2020 08:27

How much younger and with how much more potential than 19 year old Danny Loader, 23 year old George Puscas and 24 year old Jonathan Swift do they need to be?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2020 08:48

URZZZZ
Hound After a good run, our recent home form has been w@nk

It’s a test these next two - 2 inconsistent teams but who have proven capable of pulling off big results. If we don’t pick up at least 3 points, then a few questions will certainly be asked of how we are setting up at home (seem to be pretty solid away)

Bit of advice I’d give to the players against Wigan would not to panic if they go a goal down. Wigan have dropped a shed load of points from winning positions this season and seem to crumble on late in games

Personally think we’ll get 4 points which will keep us ticking along nicely

They'll know that from the game up there :)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Feb 2020 08:50

Old Man Andrews
Wimb
Lower West

Do you not feel we need a bit of a fire sale this summer? The likes of Loader, Moore, Puscas, Barrow, Swift should all be cashed in on imo, lets reinvest that money in hardworking younger players with a huge potential and rebuild.

No more fire sales - the squad is starting to look like there is something half decent about it - I can see us selling one or two players for a decent fee but this summer will be mainly about letting some of the top earners move on and using the budget that frees up to enhance the squad around what is becoming a pretty clear central core.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 08:53

From Despair To Where? How much younger and with how much more potential than 19 year old Danny Loader, 23 year old George Puscas and 24 year old Jonathan Swift do they need to be?

We would be able to recoup a huge amount of money for players are aren't really doing it bar Swift but he is extremely inconsistent. Loader isn't worth keeping, Puscas would be better off being sold so we can get our money back. Invest that money in a striker more suited to the system and proven in the Championship.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2020 08:57

Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where? How much younger and with how much more potential than 19 year old Danny Loader, 23 year old George Puscas and 24 year old Jonathan Swift do they need to be?

We would be able to recoup a huge amount of money for players are aren't really doing it bar Swift but he is extremely inconsistent. Loader isn't worth keeping, Puscas would be better off being sold so we can get our money back. Invest that money in a striker more suited to the system and proven in the Championship.

Disagree - Puscas is worth persevering with - he knows the country and the division now - and I expect he'll end up 12/13 goals and thats a reasonable return

I don't think we'd get much of a fee for anyone else bar Swift and he should be kept. Any success we get next season is likely to have him at the centre of it

I could possibly see someone offering big money for Olise maybe but other than that best of keeping what we have, shed the OOCs, Aluko, Walker and some of the fringe U23s (East, House, basically anyone who is 21 and not in the first team squad) and we're good to go

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 09:05

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Disagree - Puscas is worth persevering with - he knows the country and the division now - and I expect he'll end up 12/13 goals and thats a reasonable return

I don't think we'd get much of a fee for anyone else bar Swift and he should be kept. Any success we get next season is likely to have him at the centre of it

I could possibly see someone offering big money for Olise maybe but other than that best of keeping what we have, shed the OOCs, Aluko, Walker and some of the fringe U23s (East, House, basically anyone who is 21 and not in the first team squad) and we're good to go

But we have quite literally achieved nothing with these players, it just seems like a good time for a natural parting of the ways with Moore and Swift. They have been good for us but I think the sale of those two alone helps us massively improve our sqaud next season. Some fresh faces will really help us and bring a new approach I think.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Feb 2020 09:23

Swift is already one of our most effective and creative players, has 4 years' experience at this level and will be hitting his peak in the next 4-5 years. You don't sell those sort of players, you make them a focal point and build the team around them.

Puscas has a stuttering start, interrupted by injury, in a new country. He will get better, particularly if we start playing to his strengths.

Agree with you on Loader though. It's easy to boss agegroup football but by and large, he's looked like a boy against men. He may come good but of all the academy players to emerge in the last 18 months, he's looked the least comfortable.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Feb 2020 09:44

Let's say for arguments sake that Reading did sell Moore and Swift. Then what?

Alexandre Mattos brings in a load of 'available' (cheap/free as a punt, or expensive with a reputation they won't live up to) South American players that will need time to get used to playing in the Championship.

The alternative would be to try to find ready made replacements but given the price of players these days they would either be older, more expensive or absolute punts (otherwise less tinpot teams than Reading would have already snapped them up).

Or Joorabchian sends players in our direction which may or may not work.

I guess we have the academy lads to fall back on (at least for pre-season).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 09:45

From Despair To Where? Agree with you on Loader though. It's easy to boss agegroup football but by and large, he's looked like a boy against men. He may come good but of all the academy players to emerge in the last 18 months, he's looked the least comfortable.

It was a bizarre decison to stop the Wolves transfer going through, extremely poor business.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 09:48

morganb Let's say for arguments sake that Reading did sell Moore and Swift. Then what?

Alexandre Mattos brings in a load of 'available' (cheap/free as a punt, or expensive with a reputation they won't live up to) South American players that will need time to get used to playing in the Championship.

The alternative would be to try to find ready made replacements but given the price of players these days they would either be older, more expensive or absolute punts (otherwise less tinpot teams than Reading would have already snapped them up).

I don't think that would be the case. We wouldn't have to look cheap because we would probably have about £20m in the bank from the sale of those two alone. Reinvest it in excellent young players/established players already in the Championship or League 1.

I am not saying Moore or Swift should be sold for performance related reasons btw, just because I think all players reach a certain point where it is the right time for a new challenge. It just seems like the natural time to do it after yet another mediocre season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Feb 2020 10:22

Old Man Andrews
morganb Let's say for arguments sake that Reading did sell Moore and Swift. Then what?

I don't think that would be the case. We wouldn't have to look cheap because we would probably have about £20m in the bank from the sale of those two alone. Reinvest it in excellent young players/established players already in the Championship or League 1.

I am not saying Moore or Swift should be sold for performance related reasons btw, just because I think all players reach a certain point where it is the right time for a new challenge. It just seems like the natural time to do it after yet another mediocre season.

Just for discussion:

if you were a player, what would make you want to come and play for Reading given the team's performance over recent years, the soul-less stadium with poor crowds and the fact they've just sold their two best players?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Feb 2020 10:27

morganb
Old Man Andrews

Just for discussion:

if you were a player, what would make you want to come and play for Reading given the team's performance over recent years, the soul-less stadium with poor crowds and the fact they've just sold their two best players?

I think we are still a good draw for a younger player of talent. Nice area, pay decent enough, close to London and a track record of improving players. I think we would be seen as a place where a talented youngster could come and make a name for himself and get a move to the next level.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Feb 2020 12:51

Old Man Andrews
morganb
Old Man Andrews I don't think that would be the case. We wouldn't have to look cheap because we would probably have about £20m in the bank from the sale of those two alone. Reinvest it in excellent young players/established players already in the Championship or League 1.

Just for discussion:

I think we are still a good draw for a younger player of talent. Nice area, pay decent enough, close to London and a track record of improving players. I think we would be seen as a place where a talented youngster could come and make a name for himself and get a move to the next level.

Nice area and close to London do wonders for the property prices. Compare that to signing for a long list of midlands and northern clubs rather than us.
If someone is coming to us because of the draw of London, that strikes me as someone with a personality we probably don't want

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2020 13:15

Franchise FC
Old Man Andrews
morganb
Just for discussion:

Nice area and close to London do wonders for the property prices. Compare that to signing for a long list of midlands and northern clubs rather than us.
If someone is coming to us because of the draw of London, that strikes me as someone with a personality we probably don't want

A lot of people like living close to London for many reasons. Especially people in their 20s. Could be the multicultural nature, the ease of flights abroad if they are an overseas player, or any number of other reasons. Doesn't say anything about their personality tbh

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 26 Feb 2020 21:19

I will be prepared to eat humble pie, but after an hour of the Wigan game can someone please give me a positive about the selection, the substitutions or the performance.

Insipid doesn't begin to describe this shambles.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Feb 2020 21:29

I mean tonight is really shit. But we've had so much staff and player turnover for years, and the change never makes anything better. I'm so desperate for us to actually try stability for once that the bar for not getting sacked is incredibly low, and Bowen is not failing yet

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 26 Feb 2020 21:30

Bowen out

320 posts