Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Player of the season so far...

by CountryRoyal » 17 Feb 2020 06:00

Swift. Morrison's been good too mind.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2020 06:48

Nice that Weactually have several candidates for a change !

My short list would be

Rafael
Morrison
Pele
Ejaria

Unsure about Swift, he’s either a dead cert for the award or nowhere near !

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Feb 2020 07:10

Rafael on balance. Swift and Ejaria are good shouts, but they do both have their fair share of disappointing games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2020 07:36

Swift
Ejaria
Pele

For me

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 07:56

WestYorksRoyal Rafael on balance. Swift and Ejaria are good shouts, but they do both have their fair share of disappointing games.

Rafael has done nothing to warrant being mentioned as POTS. He has had one stand out game all season and made a few errors that have cost us goals.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Feb 2020 08:34

Swift.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2020 08:38

Swift
Rafael
Pele

Would also think that Meite should be in with a shout if he continues his recent good form.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 08:41

Hendo Swift
Rafael
Pele

Would also think that Meite should be in with a shout if he continues his recent good form.

Please explain in detail why Rafael is in that list?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 17 Feb 2020 08:44

fkin hell, give it a rest OMA.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 08:47

LUX fkin hell, give it a rest OMA.

Hendo is a sensible supporter, I want him to justify his selection and possibly explain what I am missing.

Stay out of it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2020 09:01

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Swift
Rafael
Pele

Because without him, we would have either a kid who made a mistake every game or someone that no one really trusts other than cup games.

Rafael has had some outstanding games for us this season, he has bought a calm to the defence allowing for those ahead of him to improve and not have to worry about he is going to do next.

He might not have had loads of outstanding games, he might have conceded a few goals because of errors (no biggies that spring to my mind right now - if you could provide that detail, that would be great), but what he has done is been a consistent performer. We have only conceded 37 goals, which is the joint 6th best and he should certainly get some credit for that.

Plus - he seems like a pretty likeable guy and seems like he is enjoying his time here.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 09:07

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo Swift
Rafael
Pele

Because without him, we would have either a kid who made a mistake every game or someone that no one really trusts other than cup games.

Rafael has had some outstanding games for us this season, he has bought a calm to the defence allowing for those ahead of him to improve and not have to worry about he is going to do next.

He might not have had loads of outstanding games, he might have conceded a few goals because of errors (no biggies that spring to my mind right now - if you could provide that detail, that would be great), but what he has done is been a consistent performer. We have only conceded 37 goals, which is the joint 6th best and he should certainly get some credit for that.

Ok well explained, not sure why Lux is getting his knickers in a twist.

It could be argued that Morrison is as much if not more responsible for being a calming influence, I would have him in before Rafael. Barring the Fulham game I cannot remember a match in which Rafael's goal was completely under siege and he saved us. I think that is testament to the defence in front of him.

I think the WBA goal the other night was a big error as was the Hull equaliser, he should have saved that for me. Other than that there have been goals conceded that I would want my goalkeeper to save, not so much horrendous errors.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2020 09:26

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Please explain in detail why Rafael is in that list?

It could be argued that Morrison is as much if not more responsible for being a calming influence, I would have him in before Rafael. Barring the Fulham game I cannot remember a match in which Rafael's goal was completely under siege and he saved us. I think that is testament to the defence in front of him.

I think the WBA goal the other night was a big error as was the Hull equaliser, he should have saved that for me. Other than that there have been goals conceded that I would want my goalkeeper to save, not so much horrendous errors.

Confidence and calm starts from the 'keeper for me, look at the decent 'keepers Reading have had in the past and all of them project calmness (AAH would be the exception that proves the rule, obviously).

You say that you can't remember a game where his game has been under siege (apart from Fulham) and while that is a testament to the defence, you could also look at it that Rafael has been pretty reliable, when called upon in games where he hasn't had too much to do. That is testament to his ability and concentration.

Yes, I was also disappointed with the West Brom goal, didn't the Hull one take a deflection before going in?

'Keepers are going to concede goals, it is just a fact. Strikers are going to miss chances, midfielders are going to miss passes and defenders are going to miss tackles or clearances.

If Rafael keeps playing as he is and keeps improving, then he will certainly be up there with some of the best 'keepers Reading have had, it is early days for sure and it could go the other way of course but he has settled in well, made the position his own, learned the language and started to endear himself to the fan base through his likability and performances.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Feb 2020 09:38

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Confidence and calm starts from the 'keeper for me, look at the decent 'keepers Reading have had in the past and all of them project calmness (AAH would be the exception that proves the rule, obviously).

You say that you can't remember a game where his game has been under siege (apart from Fulham) and while that is a testament to the defence, you could also look at it that Rafael has been pretty reliable, when called upon in games where he hasn't had too much to do. That is testament to his ability and concentration.

Yes, I was also disappointed with the West Brom goal, didn't the Hull one take a deflection before going in?

'Keepers are going to concede goals, it is just a fact. Strikers are going to miss chances, midfielders are going to miss passes and defenders are going to miss tackles or clearances.

If Rafael keeps playing as he is and keeps improving, then he will certainly be up there with some of the best 'keepers Reading have had, it is early days for sure and it could go the other way of course but he has settled in well, made the position his own, learned the language and started to endear himself to the fan base through his likability and performances.

Rafael and Morrison for me both pretty similar. Good solid performers who have come in and done an excellent job generally. Both however make a few too many errors for my liking and are a little limited. Two clever signings, but not really POTS material.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Feb 2020 09:46

If you are going to exclude 2 of our better players as 'not POS material' then we really don't have a competition do we ?
We don't have any 'perfect' players, we do have a number of players who have had generally very decent seasons.
In the past it has been tempting to decide we have no one who deserves the award but this season is different and certainly Rafael is a deserving candidate as he's made plenty of excellent saves.
Sometimes I think certain posters just want an argument for the sake of it.....

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Feb 2020 09:48

Right now, I think I'd give it to Méïté, but think a number of players (including Rafael and Morrison) are in with a shout. Let's see how the next 10 games pan out.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Feb 2020 09:55

Meite
Pele
Ejaria

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Feb 2020 10:04

Meite would get my vote currently. Crucial goals and even if things aren't going for him he never gives up.