Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst crowd

by Zip » 28 Feb 2020 08:42

JR
Sutekh
Zip
That’s not as low as I had expected.

177 from Wigan I believe so that’s 9,911 Reading fans.

Are we including non-attending season ticket holders in our attendance numbers these days?

I don’t think we are. When we played Sheffield Utd a couple of years ago the attendance was less than 7000. We surely had more than 7000 STH’s both then and now.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 28 Feb 2020 09:22

Zip
JR
Sutekh

Are we including non-attending season ticket holders in our attendance numbers these days?

I don’t think we are. When we played Sheffield Utd a couple of years ago the attendance was less than 7000. We surely had more than 7000 STH’s both then and now.

Two years ago, Reading FC posted INCORRECT home attendances for two consecutive home games (Sheff Utd and Bolton). Both gates REPORTED at the time gave the number of folks in the stadium, and incorrectly did NOT include ST holders who didn't attend.
The actual 'gate' therefore for these two games should and would have been reported as circa 10,000-11,000.

So, RFC do (and have to) include non-attending season ticket holders.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 28 Feb 2020 09:26

I think there's a degree of mythology here, just say hypothetically , tomorrow only 500, turn up , would the attendance be reported as 10,000 ? I've always thought the attendence was how many go through the turnstiles each game .

Mind, I really dont think there was 10,000 there on Tuesday it looked and felt around 7000 / 8000

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Feb 2020 09:37

Sutekh
Zip
WoodleyRoyal 10,088 lowest league attendance in two years

I physically counted 68 people.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 28 Feb 2020 09:56

paultheroyal
Sutekh
Zip

I physically counted 68 people.

The game was that shit! :lol:

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 28 Feb 2020 10:35

Christ , 10,000 was a crush at Elm Park
Anything near 7,000 seemed quite full and full of atmosphere.

You snow flakes :roll: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: :|

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Feb 2020 11:13

Barney
Zip
JR

Two years ago, Reading FC posted INCORRECT home attendances for two consecutive home games (Sheff Utd and Bolton). Both gates REPORTED at the time gave the number of folks in the stadium, and incorrectly did NOT include ST holders who didn't attend.
The actual 'gate' therefore for these two games should and would have been reported as circa 10,000-11,000.

So, RFC do (and have to) include non-attending season ticket holders.

That explains it. Thanks Barney.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 29 Feb 2020 09:13

Reported attendances.

Both tickets sold and numbers through the turnstile data are collected and the club can choose which to issue. The situation has been confused by clubs have differing policies on this at the same time. Liverpool were slow to use tickets sold, for instance. Information gained via the Greater Manchester Police revealed disparities of up to 15,000 at Old Trafford. Generally speaking I think tickets sold is now the standard measure.

We don't know at what point Reading started using tickets sold rather than turnstile clicks - would appreciate info on that. We could of course ask the club. We don't know why, under Gourlay, two turnstile clicks figures were released rather than tickets sold (probably some PR move) and for the nerdy stattos among us we'd like to know what the tickets sold numbers were for those games so that we could have a smoother and more comparable data series. Probably time to unleash our crack team again - they got those Royalty Points sorted :wink:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 29 Feb 2020 09:39

Red Button

There is considerable concern amongst some Championship clubs about the red button. They feel that, to some extent, they may have been dealt a poor hand by Sky. The upfront product offered was I-Follow from which the clubs gain a direct financial benefit and information on the viewers buying the service. The red button was a kind of secondary add-on.

However in practice many viewers are quite content with the red button service as it's free - and it would be annoying to have to pay an extra £10 to watch a home game when you've already paid your season ticket and your Sky subscription. I quite like the red button - the single camera / no replays / no pundits style feels just a little like being there at the game, more so than normal TV.

It's possible that the red button was presented to the club as 'more for away games' and a bargain product that most would not want. But the point is - it'll do. Furthermore my understanding is that the clubs do not receive any money for 'views by red button' - as it's part of the overall deal Sky have signed with EFL - and nor, as I understand it, any right to viewer information on who or how many people are watching their matches via red button. Of course, Sky may share that information on an informal basis with clubs but my understanding is that this would be at Sky's discretion. I haven't seen any of this written down so apologies if it's incorrect.

On Wednesday last a football fan in Reading would, with the right subscriptions / in pub transmissions have the choice of:
- watching Reading via I-Follow
- watching Reading via red button
- listening to BBC Berks
- watching the featured Champ game (probably Leeds, usually is)
- watching Real Madrid v Man C on BT
- going out in the cold to the Madstad to support in person

No wonder midweek attendances are struggling. The EFL and its clubs will be collecting data on the financial effects of making most midweek games available via Sky.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Feb 2020 11:56

grey_squirrel Still got a bit to go to beat our lowest ever league attendance.

1900 or so in a torrential downpour and a rarity in front of the TV cameras against Preston in 1982, I think?

Yes - actually nearer 1700 I think....

Highlights on TVS that evening. Think I'e seen it on utube somewhere...pretty sure George Best was in the studio?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Feb 2020 12:27

Mid Sussex Royal

1900 or so in a torrential downpour and a rarity in front of the TV cameras against Preston in 1982, I think?

Highlights on TVS that evening. Think I'e seen it on utube somewhere...pretty sure George Best was in the studio?

Was he pissed?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Feb 2020 13:31

Mid Sussex Royal

2 October 1982.

Reading 2-3 Preston North End
Dixon 2

Att. 1,943

Fearon, Williams, Henderson, Beavon, Barnes, White, Dawtry, Earles, Dixon, Sanchez, Robinson.