MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h) sponsored by hopeless at home

212 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h) sponsored by hopeless at home

by Hound » 27 Feb 2020 09:06

Zip
Hound Bowen has to make changes for this. I’m really starting to dislike the Moore/Morrison pairing and surprised more people haven’t mentioned it. Cannot keep a clean sheet and constantly out battled. Would be much happier with Miazga

However prob can’t change it due to injury

Rino has to come back in. Olise must start. Ejaria should be dropped. I wouldn’t play Meite either. Blackett for Richards. I’d consider McCleary as well but not sure what state of mind he is in

Right now the only realistic options we have at centre back would be to play Blackett there or bring in Osho.

I think Miazga will be back after the cup game. But realistically you prob still have to pair them up for Barnsley

I'd play Blackett at LB though to give them a bit more strength and support than Richards does

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Feb 2020 10:35

Hound Bowen has to make changes for this. I’m really starting to dislike the Moore/Morrison pairing and surprised more people haven’t mentioned it. Cannot keep a clean sheet and constantly out battled. Would be much happier with Miazga

Rino has to come back in. Olise must start. Ejaria should be dropped. I wouldn’t play Meite either. Blackett for Richards. I’d consider McCleary as well but not sure what state of mind he is in

Think that’s a bit unfair. Yesterday, Moore and Morrison both had stinkers

But, on the whole, they’re a good pair and are solid. Hence us conceding one of the fewest goals in the Championship (before yesterday anyway). The lack of clean sheets is a slight worry, but then again we very rarely concede more than 1 goal; and have only done so 3 times in nearly 3 months (which included a run of almost every top half team)

Part of the reason Morrison looks shaky is because he’s being asked to do something he’s not comfortable with. When his focus is on defending, and defending alone, he’s a very good CH, not this pass from the back nonsense

It’s the offensive area that mainly needs changing IMO, so blunt and toothless up there

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2020 10:46

URZZZZ

The lack of clean sheets is a slight worry

See I'd say its much more than a slight worry. Its killing us.

We set up to be quite defensive, hence why we don't concede a lot. Yes we are not playing well up top either, but a 0-0 yesterday would have been absolutely fine.

They're too similar imo. Both about the same size - both reasonable in the air but struggle against the likes of K Moore. Neither can play out.

Miazga dominates strikers, esp in the air. Thats what we need to do again. Far too many long balls forward by the oppo end in it being a 50/50 or a scuffed clearance.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 27 Feb 2020 10:50

We will win this 4-0, beat Sheff Utd in the Cup Tuesday and turn over Birmingham away.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Feb 2020 10:52

It`s going to very hard to get any enthusiasm to drag myself off my sofa to get to this after last night.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Feb 2020 11:22

Hound
URZZZZ

The lack of clean sheets is a slight worry

See I'd say its much more than a slight worry. Its killing us.

We set up to be quite defensive, hence why we don't concede a lot. Yes we are not playing well up top either, but a 0-0 yesterday would have been absolutely fine.

They're too similar imo. Both about the same size - both reasonable in the air but struggle against the likes of K Moore. Neither can play out.

Miazga dominates strikers, esp in the air. Thats what we need to do again. Far too many long balls forward by the oppo end in it being a 50/50 or a scuffed clearance.

But when the fullbacks constantly play so narrow, and allow cross after cross after cross to come in the box, the chances are one will find the net. It’s basic probability

As a CB, to be at your best, you need others to help you out. Pele standing there ball watching on Saturday, cost us, fullbacks constantly standing off their man allowing cheap easy crosses, midfielders not tracking runs etc

And granted, they’re not ball players. But on our little “run” we had Meite as an outlet every time on the right. If they were in trouble, they could play it in the air to him and, as fullbacks are traditionally smaller, Meite could win the headers most the time. Yet for some ridiculous reason, he keeps
playing Meite up top where he’s just so poor

Would Miazga make a difference? Perhaps. He certainly would have yesterday. But Moore is a good striker and other than yesterday, I can’t remember many games at all where the CB’s have been bullied

Put it this way. Would bringing Miazga in suddenly make the attacking players press, the midfielders tracking runs, and the fullbacks getting out wide to stop the crosses coming in? Doubt it very much

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 27 Feb 2020 11:36

I'd make as many changes as possible.

Rafael
Yiadom -- Morrison -- Blackett - Richards
Masika -- Rino -- Swift -- Olise
Puscas -- Loader

Moore out - that third Wigan goal was horrific, and you can't excuse Moore, our 'captain'. Deserves to be dropped after that.

Shame we have too many defensive injuries to really mix up the defense. Richards, Morro and Yiadom were all dreadful, but we haven't the players to replace them right now.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2020 11:42

Rollerbob I'd make as many changes as possible.

Rafael
Puscas -- Loader

Moore out - that third Wigan goal was horrific, and you can't excuse Moore, our 'captain'. Deserves to be dropped after that.

Shame we have too many defensive injuries to really mix up the defense. Richards, Morro and Yiadom were all dreadful, but we haven't the players to replace them right now.

Hard to argue with this team TBH.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2020 11:45

Old Man Andrews

Rafael
Puscas -- Loader

I could certainly argue with loader

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2020 11:47

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Rafael
Puscas -- Loader

I would in normal circumstances but if he is ever going to stand up and be counted and show us what a great player he is (allegedly) now is surely the time? It cannot get any worse than last night so lets give him one last shot.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Feb 2020 12:55

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews Hard to argue with this team TBH.

I would in normal circumstances but if he is ever going to stand up and be counted and show us what a great player he is (allegedly) now is surely the time? It cannot get any worse than last night so lets give him one last shot.

If we're going to play two up top, would give Baldock and Puscas a go. They linked up well earlier in the season (QPR, Millwall and Luton, admittedly a small sample)

Then Baldock got injured the next game and we haven't seen them start as a duo since (infact they've only actually been on the pitch 8 minutes together since November). Another sign Bowen is clueless, he finds partnerships that work well together but doesn't play them

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 27 Feb 2020 14:02

What do we know about Barnsley? Will they approach the game like Wigan (and therefore we will see a similar defeat) or are they more Leeds (slim defeat) or Sheff Wed (we won!) After last night is the idea to counteract the opposition or to try and play our own game (or somehow a mix of the two)?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2020 14:04

morganb What do we know about Barnsley? ?

It is in Yorkshire.

They play the theme from the TV show "Hitman and Her" before kick off for the players to walk out to.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Feb 2020 14:05

morganb What do we know about Barnsley? Will they approach the game like Wigan (and therefore we will see a similar defeat) or are they more Leeds (slim defeat) or Sheff Wed (we won!) After last night is the idea to counteract the opposition or to try and play our own game (or somehow a mix of the two)?

They looked good in our 1-1 down there. Lots of movement up front, and played it nicely through the thirds etc. Ropey at the back, but they seem to have tightened that up.

Its certainly going to be far from an easy game.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2020 14:07

Hound
morganb What do we know about Barnsley? Will they approach the game like Wigan (and therefore we will see a similar defeat) or are they more Leeds (slim defeat) or Sheff Wed (we won!) After last night is the idea to counteract the opposition or to try and play our own game (or somehow a mix of the two)?

They looked good in our 1-1 down* there. Lots of movement up front, and played it nicely through the thirds etc. Ropey at the back, but they seem to have tightened that up.

*Up

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 27 Feb 2020 19:29

Old Man Andrews Why on earth would anyone consider going to this game? I love my club as much as the next person but after this evening they can get oxf*rd.

Says the super Reading fan who apparently hasn’t missed a home game for donkeys years :roll:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2020 20:06

Royality creeps In
Old Man Andrews Why on earth would anyone consider going to this game? I love my club as much as the next person but after this evening they can get oxf*rd.

Says the super Reading fan who apparently hasn’t missed a home game for donkeys years :roll:

Exactly, that's how bad it is.

Grow up.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 27 Feb 2020 21:28

Old Man Andrews
Hound

They looked good in our 1-1 down* there. Lots of movement up front, and played it nicely through the thirds etc. Ropey at the back, but they seem to have tightened that up.

*Up

If you are going by train, it is DOWN.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Feb 2020 07:46

Old Man Andrews
Royality creeps In

Exactly, that's how bad it is.

Grow up.

It doesn't matter how bad it is or gets, if you are a real fan unlike you or me, you would go regardless.

I for one am going to watch my new team, Haywards Heath town.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 28 Feb 2020 10:15

Another biggest game of the season.

212 posts