BFT well I don’t know what to call it without resorting to a lot of naughty words

152 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFT well I don’t know what to call it without resorting to a lot of naughty words

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2020 13:43

RoyalBlue
WestYorksRoyal
leon
Why can’t we just build a decent committed team that knows what it’s doing?

Personally I’d be sounding out, well in advance, new managers. So if we do need to fire Bowen we don’t end up like we always seem to drifting for a few games with a caretaker.

I know this is controversial but I’d like someone with a decent amount of managerial experience next time. We’re in a state and need experience.

So none of the likes of Clement, Clarke, Stam or Bowen.

Problem is, will we really appeal to good, experienced managers? The reason we have Bowen is because nobody of the required calibre was interested in October.

Really? How long did Bowen spend seriously looking before the owners and he decided that he was the man for the job? Didn't Holloway claim he'd thrown his hat in the ring?

Ian Holloway - who has ended up at Grimsby as no-one higher would appoint him? That Ian Holloway?

Old Man Andrews

Re: BFT well I don’t know what to call it without resorting to a lot of naughty words

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2020 13:54

Stranded
RoyalBlue
WestYorksRoyal Problem is, will we really appeal to good, experienced managers? The reason we have Bowen is because nobody of the required calibre was interested in October.

Really? How long did Bowen spend seriously looking before the owners and he decided that he was the man for the job? Didn't Holloway claim he'd thrown his hat in the ring?

Ian Holloway - who has ended up at Grimsby as no-one higher would appoint him? That Ian Holloway?

Ian Holloway who is doing a good job at Grimsby btw.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Feb 2020 13:55

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
RoyalBlue

Yikes. You know things are bad when people are debating whether or not we should have gone for Ian Holloway.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Feb 2020 13:57

WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews
Stranded

Yikes. You know things are bad when people are debating whether or not we should have gone for Ian Holloway.

Nobody is debating that.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Feb 2020 14:46

South Coast Royal By mid-morning of the day after nearly everything has been said.

Two very simple things picked up by Sandy and Roller:
Throw-ins-for so many years now we just throw the ball away
We don't need all our players back for corners-not only do they get in each others' way but the ball is cleared to nobody.
This is very, very basic stuff that a manager( who boasted in interview that he is not inexperienced and has broadly been joint managing for over 20 years)

I have come to the conclusion that we are a lazy (more lazy in the head than in the body) team epitomised by the lack of movement at those throw-ins and the lack of taking responsibility in defensive situations when so often in recent years after a goal conceded they look at each other aimlessly with "I thought you were going to clear that".

The most annoying thing for me last night (well, one of the many) was the number of times the ball was with Morrison to hoof forward vaguely towards quite a big man who is erratic with his heading and more often to a small man with no chance of winning the ball which comes straight back and we have again given valuable possession away.
Surely this wasn't the game plan nor was passing the ball to Pele too often when he was clearly surrounded by 3 opposition players.

Bowen wouldn't really answer Adie's question "Why not McCleary?"-he and Blackett are surely on their way at the end of the season but why not use Garath while he is still paid by us, even in short periods when a bit of pace is needed?

At least BBCRB stayed on the air beyond it's normal cut-off time and all 3 presenters were in unison about how dreadful it all was.
Bowen this time did a Stam and blamed the players-he might have taken a bit more responsibility himself -but don't worry folks because he says that we have no relegation concerns at all.
Should we worry?
I don't know, the same person said that we were heading towards the top 6 a few weeks ago which is now , with so many games to play, not far off being impossible as all the other sides aren't going to lose all their games.

I don't quite buy in to the worst ever performance stuff ("ever" is a very long time") but I think the reaction was greater because it gradually got colder when there was little on the pitch to warm us up.

Lastly, with the score at 3-0 and being already in added time there should be leeway for the ref to just end a game when a player is badly injured like last night.
Players were stood around for ages doing nothing and we could all have just gone home.

Can't do that. There would be an outbreak of players on a losing side feigning death five minutes before the end of every game.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Feb 2020 15:11

Platypuss
South Coast Royal Lastly, with the score at 3-0 and being already in added time there should be leeway for the ref to just end a game when a player is badly injured like last night.
Players were stood around for ages doing nothing and we could all have just gone home.

:?:
Their third came after the injury.

I had switched off mentally by then......just like the players.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Feb 2020 15:39

And..... back into a relegation dogfight we go.

I remember arguing when some were creaming their pants after ten games that you have to be careful with those sorts of numbers early on which includes a honeymoon period.

A honeymoon period and a purple patch later and we are not really much better off - still a relegation-fearing team.

HOWEVER I reckon on balance Bowen knows what he's doing to keep us up.

Couple of talkign points for me:

1) Araruna - not suited, not ready etc etc but let's not forget the sublime tenacity and forward movement when he won the ball on the right knocked it up and created what seemed like our first attacking move all game. The sort of player who can create something out of nothing.

2) Ejaria - said it before, will say it again. A f**king waste on the left wing.

3) The above being said - Olise on the left and Ejaria in Araruna's place would have been much better. In fact anything would have been better than that selection.

4) Wot no Puscas? Even with Baldock we couldn't score in a brothel so perhaps our issue is service. In any case most people would've wanted him on with at least 15mins to go. You know, the guy who got a hat trick against the same defence not long ago. But no - Bowen decided we'd have more chance winning the match with him on the bench.

5) Adam - I nerdily kept a little tally of how many passes went astray from this guy. At 5 (i.e. within the first 5 mins!!) I gave up. Totally and utterly useless.

6) Baldock. Should've scored.

7) Gomes - Worst I've seen him play. He couldn't keep anything. I have no idea what he was thinking. Was he even awake?

Overall this was partly a tactic/selection issue and partly a mentality issue. I can imagien the guys put in a lot of effort trying to figure out Leeds away and they put in a good shift up there. They probably thought to themselves "Ah we'vemissed out on the playoffs where we belong so little Wigan at home will be a nice easy game." TOTALLY gutless crappy display. The only problem with iFooty is you can't boo. Although I'll be there on Saturday, my boo at the ready.

Delboy

by Delboy » 27 Feb 2020 15:46

Awful performance all round, now in relegation dogfight.
No more messing with the team use experience players McCleary, Obita, Blackett, Rhinamota etc

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Feb 2020 16:28

Awful performance. Ejaria & Swift are the new Lampard & Gerrard.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 27 Feb 2020 16:54

Old Man Andrews
leon
genome
Our owners have some cash, so provided we can shift big-earners (I'm sure there will be takers for Moore and Swift) and we cut cloth accordingly we might be okay.

Why can’t we just build a decent committed team that knows what it’s doing?

Personally I’d be sounding out, well in advance, new managers. So if we do need to fire Bowen we don’t end up like we always seem to drifting for a few games with a caretaker.

I know this is controversial but I’d like someone with a decent amount of managerial experience next time. We’re in a state and need experience.

So none of the likes of Clement, Clarke, Stam or Bowen.

You know who we could do with, and you'll hate me even more for it..... Neil Warnock.

Good shout, I agree.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Feb 2020 17:17

:lol: at Yiadom choosing not to throw on to Araruna when he was unmarked and literally the only Reading player within several parsecs.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 27 Feb 2020 17:44

My observations on last night IMHO.I haven’t given them even my usual low scores,as Olise apart;they would even for me be incredibly low.

Rafael A lot of good saves,but there were some he could have caught and launched a counter attack.Generally absolve him from last nights fiasco however.

Yiadom.For some reason totally disinterested last night,and TBF he is usually up for a battle.

Richards Grow some please,have a bit of self belief,you are supposed to be a mature player now,not some kid,scared of his own shadow.

Moore Big time Charlie,with nothing to back it up.Does he really believe any Championship club are going to pay him as much as we do.

Morrison. A total plank.I was stunned given the level of his passing,when he actually put Baldock through first half.

Pele.Usually our best player.Bad day at the office last night though.

Aruna.Why ? It just had to be Rino last night,to win a few battles.Totally out of his depth.

Swift.Has all the skills,and does try hard.But he is a touch player,and when it’s not working for him,he looks shite.

Meite.Like Yids,just not interested,and unlike him,as he usually gives it all he’s got (which is not much TBF)

Ejaria.I thought last year he was the least effective of our loanees.I would rather spend the 3 mill on a striker and use Olise.

Baldock.He was the worst of the lot.He moans about not being given a chance and he puts in a performance like that.Against the run of play,he had the opportunity to drag a point out of last night,and he blew every chance that came his way.

Adam.Horrendous passing,and how embarrassing was that rugby tackle.

Olise.Give him his due,as a young eighteen year old,he was single handed ly trying to drag us back,but just wasn’t good enough.

I will be going on Saturday,but what happens if the players don’t respond at the ton of shit they are receiving from all quarters ?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Feb 2020 00:01

URZZZZ
Lower West
JR Form dipped ever since we started making 11 changes for FA Cup games.

We were building some great momentum and have blown it. Gentle tinkering was all that was required.

Injuries plus Blackett wanting to leave have contributed to the downturn.

Blackett and Ejaria had a special relationship on the left side of the attack. They both had an understanding of when to run and when to hold, and they linked up for a few goals/chances

Until the clown dropped Blackett, or pushed Ejaria into midfield to accommodate Obita. I don’t actually think we’ve seen the combo of Blackett and Ejaria since Millwall

Richards, too similar in ways to Ejaria in the sense that he’s got close control, likes to dribble out of situations etc, often take up similar space which is why Richards struggled to get the ball tonight

Totally agree

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Feb 2020 00:05

Westwood52
Pele.Usually our best player.Bad day at the office last night though.

Mainly because he shouldn't be played in a midfield 4. He's been our best player when sitting just in front of defence. What the thinking is here God only knows

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Feb 2020 00:30

bcubed
URZZZZ
Lower West
Injuries plus Blackett wanting to leave have contributed to the downturn.

Blackett and Ejaria had a special relationship on the left side of the attack. They both had an understanding of when to run and when to hold, and they linked up for a few goals/chances

Until the clown dropped Blackett, or pushed Ejaria into midfield to accommodate Obita. I don’t actually think we’ve seen the combo of Blackett and Ejaria since Millwall

Richards, too similar in ways to Ejaria in the sense that he’s got close control, likes to dribble out of situations etc, often take up similar space which is why Richards struggled to get the ball tonight

Totally agree

Blacketts head will be out the door. Not the best at concentrating for 90 minutes. Bowen is right to be looking forward.

JR

by JR » 28 Feb 2020 00:46

NewCorkSeth
Zammo
JR Form dipped ever since we started making 11 changes for FA Cup games.

We were building some great momentum and have blown it. Gentle tinkering was all that was required.

Good point that.

No it isnt. Only Wolves had played more games than us at that point in the season, in the top 2 leagues. We needed changes and out of those changes Olise has emerged. The highlight of our poor period. Rinomhota and Richards too came back due to those changes. The slump is down to tactical tweaks. Bowen is having problems right now that he doesnt have the experience to deal with. I'm not in any sort of Bowen out camp but he needs to show why he can be our manager going forward now. This is his big test.

Where on earth did you get this stat from?! Prior to the 3rd round weekend how had we played more games than the other championship teams???

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Feb 2020 08:38

Tilehurstsouthbank Awful performance. Ejaria & Swift are the new Lampard & Gerrard.

There have been some really good results & performances with them in the same team so there are definitely certain formations and line ups where they can operate perfectly well.

What they definitely aren't are wingers, yet in the last two Home games they have spent large chunks of the game at Left and Right Wing respectively.

I also think it was painfully obvious Ejaria (and Pele for that matter) wasn't fully fit on Wednesday and shouldn't have been played in any case.

No excuses for the abject overall performance from the players (which was a worrying development) but there was so much wrong with the selection and managerial thinking that hopefully this is one of those games we just dismiss as a one off horror show and move quickly on.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Feb 2020 19:07

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
RoyalBlue

Holloway is a media man and a complete clown

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 28 Feb 2020 19:40

I've had nearly 48 hours to calm down after the complete fustercluck of a 'performance' ... which was inevitable given the complete nonsense of the team selection.
It's easy to write it off as a bad day at the office. A *bad* day at the office? That was bordering on administration.
Right from the off there was no passion, no speed, no thought, no interest, no movement. And I took great delight in reminding the Welsh wizard *chortle* as much imediately before half time.
None of them came out with any credit but special mentions to:
Morrison - absolutely abominable ... certainly in the first half.
Arararuna - he's not a Rivelino or Gerson, is he? My Brazilian spy said that the other younger, less experienced fella we were supposed to signing was potentially ace. Sadly, Araruna is not. Rinhomota is, though. Possibly.
Pele - his position is sitting in front of the two centre halves. He plays that position very well and has been the standout player in the last month or so, so why try and push him forward?
Ejaria - been well off the pace for the past few weeks. Has he been found out? Nope, he's got too much skill for that. But he needs to play tight alongside Swift in the middle.
I'm a huge fan of Baldock. Runs his gonads off, generally a good first touch, makes the right runs - everything that Meite *should* be doing ... but two pretty miraculous saves meant that he looked like a numpty.
One can only hope that there is the proverbial reaction tomorrow. If not, I'm looking forward to a League 1 tour next season. No doubt about that.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Feb 2020 21:05

JR
NewCorkSeth
Zammo
Good point that.

No it isnt. Only Wolves had played more games than us at that point in the season, in the top 2 leagues. We needed changes and out of those changes Olise has emerged. The highlight of our poor period. Rinomhota and Richards too came back due to those changes. The slump is down to tactical tweaks. Bowen is having problems right now that he doesnt have the experience to deal with. I'm not in any sort of Bowen out camp but he needs to show why he can be our manager going forward now. This is his big test.

Where on earth did you get this stat from?! Prior to the 3rd round weekend how had we played more games than the other championship teams???

Eh? What's that? What did I say? Dont recall saying that. Maybe check the old reading glasses. The Blackpool game was 3 days after Fulham, which itself was 2 days after Preston. You seriously suggesting playing the same team 3 times in that short a period??

152 posts