BFTG Barnsley

Singing Defective

Re: BFTG Barnsley

by Singing Defective » 29 Feb 2020 20:12

Zip
windermereROYAL
Zip Really strange performance. Some lovely individual skill on show and yet some dreadful howlers too

Rafael. 6. Made crucial saves but distribution poor including one poor pass to Swift
Yiadom 6 Showed some lovely touches but also caught upfield on occasions
Morrison 5 Very lucky to get away after being dispossessed. Otherwise ok
Miazga. 6 Made up for indecisive moment with a good block
Obita 5. Bizarre. Lucky not to concede when he lost possession. A fantastic pass to GMac
Swift 7 MoTM Showed fabulous skills and passing on occasions
Rinomhota 7 Worked hard to close down the opposition.
Olise 5 Some good moments. Some not so good
Ejaria 6 Tracked back well but did keep falling over
Meite 6 Started well but was it really his goal?
Puscas 6 Lost possession on occasions but took his goal very well

GMaC 5 One or two moments where he could have done better
Pelé 5 Fairly quiet
Masika 6 Showed promise with some nice touches of skill

Footballers falling over and losing possession on occasions shocker.

Well yes but he fell over on numerous occasions.

On a pitch that got hosed down by God’s own sprinkler system in the opening minutes :roll:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Feb 2020 20:14

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Think you're forgetting this is WR who doesn't let you say a bad word against Puscas

He's much improved from a month ago or so, but as Bowen said, still got a lot to learn (which is normal for a player his age/experience)

My comment about falling over was about Ejaria though

I think he was referring to your comments on both Ejaria and Puscas

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Feb 2020 20:14

Singing Defective
Zip
windermereROYAL
Footballers falling over and losing possession on occasions shocker.

On a pitch that got hosed down by God’s own sprinkler system in the opening minutes :roll:

No one was falling over anywhere near as much as Ovie.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Feb 2020 20:16

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ
Think you're forgetting this is WR who doesn't let you say a bad word against Puscas

He's much improved from a month ago or so, but as Bowen said, still got a lot to learn (which is normal for a player his age/experience)

My comment about falling over was about Ejaria though

I think he was referring to your comments on both Ejaria and Puscas

Yes you’re right. Perhaps we can’t make general comments about certain players and just say they were fantastic. As it happens I was delighted for Puscas. That goal will him the world of good.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 29 Feb 2020 20:19

Zip
Singing Defective
Zip

No one was falling over anywhere near as much as Ovie.

Yeah, but then he has crane legs, and his playing style does require changes of direction more than most. Agree it makes a nice change from it being Yakou...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Feb 2020 20:33

Ovie does seem to have developed an annoying habit of coming out of every 50/50 without the ball - one of the things at his best he does very well at

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Feb 2020 20:35

Hound Ovie does seem to have developed an annoying habit of coming out of every 50/50 without the ball - one of the things at his best he does very well at

Tackling is definitely not his strength but he tracked back really well today.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Feb 2020 20:55

Not sure about the negativity around Puscas.

I thought he played the (kind of I wasn’t sure if Meite was part of a 2 or not) lone striker/receiver of the out ball role pretty well. Better than he has in the past.

There was one beautiful moment where he killed a hefty clearance dead flicked it on to (can’t remember) and then Olise fired it over.

I thought he was good today and got better as the game went on.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 29 Feb 2020 20:56

leon Not sure about the negativity around Puscas.

I thought he played the (kind of I wasn’t sure if Meite was part of a 2 or not) lone striker/receiver of the out ball role pretty well. Better than he has in the past.

There was one beautiful moment where he killed a hefty clearance dead flicked it on to (can’t remember) and then Olise fired it over.

Loved the enthusiastic goal celebration, too..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Feb 2020 21:00

I don’t think he gets enough help when he is holding up the ball. 3 or 4 times he made a decent effort and controlling the ball, holding off the CB but ended up losing it through lack of options to then pass it off to

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Feb 2020 21:12

Hound

I don’t think he gets enough help when he is holding up the ball. 3 or 4 times he made a decent effort and controlling the ball, holding off the CB but ended up losing it through lack of options to then pass it off to

Yes agreed and at times other players on the ball aren’t given options either.
Puscas is now scoring more regularly. He could end up with 15 goals this season which would be a very decent debut. He seems to be settling in now. He still needs to work on his first touch which got him into trouble at times today.. A work in progress but he is young and will continue to improve.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Feb 2020 22:23

Could really only get better after the Wigan debacle, mind you they beat WBA today so maybe we’re doing them an injustice expecting to beat them, however, good win against a very poor Barnsley side . For me by far the best improvement was work rate and effort . That’s all we really ask as fans , that the players give their best . Sets up Tuesday nicely, same team please Bowen

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 29 Feb 2020 23:07

Definitely better than Wednesday and spot on to close them out for a win and no goals conceded.

Full credit to Puscas for a well taken goal .... *and* he managed to get off the ground for a couple of headers .... *and* his first touch wasn't nearly as bad as Meite's for a change.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Feb 2020 23:28

I thought Bowen did the right thing taking Swift off towards the latter stages. He will be key for us on Tuesday night.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Feb 2020 23:30

Zip
Hound Ovie does seem to have developed an annoying habit of coming out of every 50/50 without the ball - one of the things at his best he does very well at

Can't agree with that.

I think Ejaria is an exceptional ball-winner

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Feb 2020 23:42

Snowball
Zip

Can't agree with that.

I think Ejaria is an exceptional ball-winner

Won the ball quite a few times on the edge of our box through good positioning. Particularly on one occasion in the second half where he covered for Obita.

Tackling is a last resort, not an admirable quality.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Mar 2020 00:05

Before two o'clock I was really worried about this game. I thought we'd lose, probably 0-2 or maybe 1-2 with a late consolation goal. Remember Barnsley had just won three on the trot.

But when the team was announced at 14:02 I felt better, although based on the 0-3 to Wigan I would have dropped Ejaria "for a rest" played Pele welded to the DM position and played Rhino as the box to box man. (So "wasn't sure" about Ejaria...)

I brought my grandson (a rugby fan) to his first soccer game. On the way he said he has never seen the team("his team") lose...

THE GAME

After ten minutes I told grandson, "They've already done twice as much as they did in the whole game v Wigan." For me they were like a totally new eleven.

Though we are always capable of letting in a stupid goal, the game just SMELLED like it would be a good RFC day out.

Some of the bloopers were ridiculous. You could see the lack of belief/confidence, but, saying that, there are times when you could imagine this eleven, this squad, this squad with two additions, going on a run and scoring goals for fun (probably next season, now). My few words review would be "Flashes of Brilliance With Bloopers"

I may be wrong but I can't remember Barnsley opening us up with THEIR football. Most of their chances (as I remember) seemed to come from horror moments from RFC players (Morrison, Obita for example). I've tried, but I can't for the life of me remember the play on 45+2 minutes when Rafael won the game for us with those two back-to-back saves. Was that a Barnsley move that cut us open, or another slip/cock-up/gift? But they were a pair of EXCELLENT saves. Had we conceded on the stork of half-time, it's very likely we'd have lost.

SWIFT.

For me, close to his best game for us, EVER. He RAN the game. He was mature, defended, got us out of tight scrapes, played what seemed like dozens of simple balls that were just right. I'm sure he made mistakes but for me he was our MoM by a country mile.

MEITE

I love him to bits, but (most of the time) he's just a lump. BUT he got a goal. No question it's his goal, and top strikers score of all their bits. As I said, he's not delicate Swift or stick to my boots Ejaria, but there was one passage where he dribbled brilliantly on the edge of our box to get us out of trouble. I'd play him regularly as a RW (tho' today he won more headers than he usually does)..

But I don't think EVER we will be able to call him an intelligent footballer.

PUSCAS

I really hope he stays with us. I think, when we learn how to play to his strengths he will EASILY get 20+ goals a season. For me, that was his best all-round game yet (better than Wigan away or Cardiff home). He threatened all game and the reason he only got a single goal was down to his team-mates, rather than him. His goal was excellent so oxf*rd Dellor ("Inadvertently turned the defender!" WTF?) and he looked dangerous all game, had one great cross that Meite should have done better with.

PS Did anyone notice Meite didn't acknowledge the cross. Are they not buddies? Didn't look like it....

EJARIA

Jeez I love this guy, warts and stumbles and all. He is a breath of fresh air. I LOVE his audacity, the weird things he does. He is a special talent, and if we carefully develop him he could be a 20 Million Pound player. Much better more central, occasionally brilliant at ball-winning, sometimes does the impossible. When he loses ball, people seem to forget that's because ehe often has 3 defenders closing him down.

RHINO

I like his energy but particularly like his recovery speed when he makes an error. When Ejaria and Swift play (not so quick or direct) I feel he needs to play (but then I think Pele in front of our back four is superb)... I dunno... but Rhino is one of the few who moves quickly, who inspires, who injects power into the side. As a side we lack oomph, the crude "Long" power, the pace of Kebe, the batter the centre-backs persistence of Noel Hunt. I think we are better with Rhino in.

MASikA

Woooooh! Yes please! Very impressed. Hard-working, speedy, tricky, more promising than early Kebe. It was interesting tom hear the crowd desperately wanting his to get the ball. This guy could be a gem.

MoM Swift (09)
Close for Puscas and Rafael

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Mar 2020 00:13

The moment on 45+2 was our cock up, whoever it was, maybe Obita just ran straight forward and lost the ball with no covering defenders behind him so the Barnsley player got a free run at goal.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Mar 2020 00:16

tidus_mi2 The moment on 45+2 was our cock up, whoever it was, maybe Obita just ran straight forward and lost the ball with no covering defenders behind him so the Barnsley player got a free run at goal.

Thanks

Thought so. Thought cock-up at the time but couldn't remember who/what when posting here.

Did Barnsley open us up at all through good play (rather than an RFC blunder)?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Mar 2020 00:19

Snowball
tidus_mi2 The moment on 45+2 was our cock up, whoever it was, maybe Obita just ran straight forward and lost the ball with no covering defenders behind him so the Barnsley player got a free run at goal.

Thanks

Thought so. Thought cock-up at the time but couldn't remember who/what when posting here.

Did Barnsley open us up at all through good play (rather than an RFC blunder)?

There was a moment and I can't remember what the build up for it was but in the second half Rafael had to make a save that must have been on the line because for a moment people weren't sure if it had gone in or not.