BFTG Sheff U FB

175 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Sheff U FB

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 10:41

1-1 at home against in form PL side high in the table.

Can't complain.

However I will.....

Obita is not and has never really been a left back. Great winger, which is what he has always been. LB makeshift at best. Several errors last game. Not convincing this game.

Swift - grew into the game but he was pissing me off big time intiially just going backwards and sideways.

Puscas - forget the goal, he was good. Game by game he's turning into a far more effective target man, very impressed. And he clearly scares the shit out of defenders when he turns and runs. Nice

Masika - very impressed with him again. Love his hairstyle too.

Overall - deserved win in the end for SU, but only just. One would probably have trouble guessing which was the strugglling champ side and which was the in-form PL side.

Ref - possibly the worst I've seen all season. Penalty soft but reasonable. But then he seemed to 'make up' for it by giving us NOTHING all game bar a couple of fouls which evoked loud ironic cheers from the Madstad. Their second goal for example came after yet another hacking down of one of our players completely ignored by the ref. Tosser.
Last edited by Millsy on 04 Mar 2020 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 10:47

URZZZZ
Ejaria has been found out badly

He’s often double/even triple marked when he’s on the ball so he can’t embarrass them with his dribbling. In which case, it opens up space elsewhere. Unfortunately, he doesn’t look up and utilise the space and ends up dancing round with the defenders before losing it

He needs to add another dimension to his game and hopefully can work on it over the summer because he’s been a passenger for a couple of months now

If by finding out you mean "shit, this guy is dangerous, let's have at least three men close him down every time he gets near the ball" then yeah I guess, but that's not finding out in my book that's just planning for a very dangerous opposition player.

Despite that he still managed to be dangerous several times against this PL side. He's lost nothing.

But yes I completely agree this opens up space elsewhere and we need to be wiser about that. There's no problem having some of our players triple marked as long as we utilise that.

I also don't know why he doesn't do the dangerous shots at teh edge of the box anymore. He's scored a couple like that, but now just seems to hold onto it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Mar 2020 10:59

Thought Olise should have been subbed earlier. GMac offered more of a threat when he came on.
We still need to move the ball forward more quickly. Morrison is very slow on the ball.
We also try to do too much in tight spaces but credit to the likes of Swift, Ejaria, Yiadom and Olise who all somehow manage to get out of a tight spot more often than not with skill.

Movement still needs to improve. There was a point last night when Yiadom was moving forward with the ball. Meite needed to offer him an option by running down the flank. Instead he went towards Yiadom and was too close to him and pointless passing to.

Swift had a quiet first half but was so much better in the second half. When he plays well we play well.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 04 Mar 2020 11:02

Our ability to move for, or take a quick throw-in annoys me.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 11:02

I'm loving how we put in such a solid effort against a decent PL side that we're not faulting stuff but just discussing how we might do better.

it reminds me of when we were in the PL.

Blast me for saying this, that's fine, but this team really isn't far off being a PL team.

I can see a couple of tweaks, a decent preseason, and us having a real go next season.

URZZZ

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Mar 2020 11:06

Impressive in terms of effort and workmates even if quality was lacking at times. Sheffield United did have long spells of well-worked keepball whereas our counter -attacks found themselves broken by poor decisions or touches.

Three things:

*ejaria very skillful but also slow, very different to the start of the season

*ref dreadful

*Both goals on the soft end of the spectrum

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2020 11:07

Old Man Andrews
Old Man Andrews
LWJ Also Swift MOTM for me.

What????

Seemingly Swift can do whatever he likes in a Reading shirt and many will label him MOTM or standout. Olise completely outshone him last night as did a few others, don't understand the Swift love.

You don't know anything about footbal.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Mar 2020 11:09

Where's the thread where we can LOL at the chap who closed the M4 last night?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Mar 2020 11:11

Tails Our ability to move for, or take a quick throw-in annoys me.

Rinomhota was often the only one offering movement at throw ins.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Mar 2020 11:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm loving how we put in such a solid effort against a decent PL side that we're not faulting stuff but just discussing how we might do better.

it reminds me of when we were in the PL.

Blast me for saying this, that's fine, but this team really isn't far off being a PL team.

I can see a couple of tweaks, a decent preseason, and us having a real go next season.

URZZZ

The talent is there. We need to find a way of playing that makes best use of that talent.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 11:13

Zip

On the other side of the coin our insistance of taking quick free kicks annoys me. We had a free kick late on in extra time which was ready made to shove everyone in the box for and pump it long. Swift decided to pass it backwards quickly and momentum was lost.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Mar 2020 11:13

stealthpapes Where's the thread where we can LOL at the chap who closed the M4 last night?

I wasn’t loling last night having to drive back from Mereoak past the stadium in very slow traffic on the A33. Got home just before 1am

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 11:19

Zip
stealthpapes Where's the thread where we can LOL at the chap who closed the M4 last night?

I wasn’t loling last night having to drive back from Mereoak past the stadium in very slow traffic on the A33. Got home just before 1am

Is it wrong that I am LoLing?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Mar 2020 11:19

Old Man Andrews
Zip

On the other side of the coin our insistance of taking quick free kicks annoys me. We had a free kick late on in extra time which was ready made to shove everyone in the box for and pump it long. Swift decided to pass it backwards quickly and momentum was lost.

We rarely take a quick free kick, if anything we don’t do it enough. We too often let an opponent stand over the ball while the defence gets organised and we wait for Morrison and Moore to jog forward and then fail to gain any benfefit from lumping the ball forward, we’re not the biggest side and the big punt forward rarely results in anything.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 11:21

Old Man Andrews
Zip

Swift was doing shitloads of sideways/backwards passing. Reminded me of Harper at his worst.

He then grew into the game and did more forward stuff. I suspect this was all Bowen's plan trying to keep possession, not too bothered about a win as long as we get to penalties.

I hope it's that and he's not had his bollox removed or something.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Mar 2020 11:23

Old Man Andrews
Zip

Is it wrong that I am LoLing?

Lol away my friend.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 11:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup
URZZZZ
Ejaria has been found out badly

He’s often double/even triple marked when he’s on the ball so he can’t embarrass them with his dribbling. In which case, it opens up space elsewhere. Unfortunately, he doesn’t look up and utilise the space and ends up dancing round with the defenders before losing it

He needs to add another dimension to his game and hopefully can work on it over the summer because he’s been a passenger for a couple of months now

If by finding out you mean "shit, this guy is dangerous, let's have at least three men close him down every time he gets near the ball" then yeah I guess, but that's not finding out in my book that's just planning for a very dangerous opposition player.

Despite that he still managed to be dangerous several times against this PL side. He's lost nothing.

But yes I completely agree this opens up space elsewhere and we need to be wiser about that. There's no problem having some of our players triple marked as long as we utilise that.

I also don't know why he doesn't do the dangerous shots at teh edge of the box anymore. He's scored a couple like that, but now just seems to hold onto it.

It really frustrates me when he’s got bundles of space to run into, and then he just casually turns back, and tries to beat the man he was once ahead of

Agree with your last point, he’s got a decent shot on him when he pulls the trigger which unfortunately he rarely does

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Mar 2020 11:28

Don't think we can complain too much about the performance. We conceded two awful goals though, terrible defending.
Played some nice football though and so close at the end.
Interesting though that when you play a side that are currently flying high and, lets be honest, they are a really good unit, you can see our failings quite blatantly. Some players take one touch too many, slow releasing the ball etc. Several times last night there was some fantastic runs made but we just put our foot on the ball and passed it sideways....Frustrating.....

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2020 11:44

So maybe those who disagreed with those of us who posted yesterday that Kevin Friend is a dreadful ref might now agree.?

Like most others I dreaded what the outcome might be after gifting the early goal but we hung in there and could have taken the game to penalties so ,much credit to the lads.
Lets' not get carried away however.
This was not the well-oiled Sheff Utd machine that has taken them to 8th in the Premier League.
The defence bar one was their normal set-up but all the rest for most of the game were fringe players and posed far less of an attacking threat than if Fleck and Norwood had been pulling the strings.

I saw Sheff Utd at Bournemouth back in August and haven't been surprised at how well they have done-their passing is accurate but their downfall is in striking options and they don't make many chances but when they do they tend to take them , just like last night .

From a Reading perspective we are a very defensive set-up and the gap so often between the rest and Puscas is enormous and I feel sorry for George in that there is seldom any quick support from midfield if he does manage to retain possession.
As JMW said earlier, we look good at times in possession but create so little in terms of clear cut chances.

Anyway today is not one to overly analyse or criticise our players who did their best.
Olise definitely looks a player although he seemed to have a free role to wander where he pleases without any defensive responsibility meaning that Obita was exposed more than he might have been.

So, what now?
It does look as though we are probably safe from relegation but I don't like Dellor's inferences (whether with any substance or not) that we need to be at least 12 points clear of the relegation positions-presumably he thinks he knows something but let's hope he is wrong.

If he is wrong I would like to see some building towards next season, perhaps playing a nucleus of players who are expected to be here next season and might form part of a settled side.
I would say also to try the youngsters but do we really have anybody near to first team quality apart from Olise and the two recent signings?

An enjoyable night with the inevitable ending-a plucky performance by the lower division club, seemingly a bit of favourtism from the referee and the other inevitable, a Billy Sharp goal when I think he has only scored 2 all season (that may be just in his occasional league games).

by 9165 » 04 Mar 2020 12:03

Agree with most posters, only thing I'll add is that Swift and Ejaria should be told that it's not against the rules to use your left foot. This explains the near constant turning back into trouble when gaining possession.

175 posts