BFTG Sheff U FB

175 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Sheff U FB

by sandman » 05 Mar 2020 08:15

Put him on ignore. Either an actual racist or a internet edgelord pretending to be one.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2020 09:46

URZZZZ
Hendo
RoyalBlue
I thought it was a soft penalty at the time but, having seen the replays it was a very clear and deliberate shove in the back.

I also think Puscas had a very good claim for another for us as he was pushed from behind when clear of the defender. Again, night have been 'soft' but it still looked a deliberate contact from behind.

First penalty was 100% the second one, seen them given but I think the ref gave the benefit of the doubt to the defender on that one, but certainly could've been given.

No way was the second one a penalty

The main difference being is that Baldock used his hands to ease away Rinomhota whereas JOC used his shoulders. Big difference

Not if the shoulder is into the back, rather than shoulder to shoulder.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2020 09:50

Nameless
Hendo
RoyalBlue
I thought it was a soft penalty at the time but, having seen the replays it was a very clear and deliberate shove in the back.

I also think Puscas had a very good claim for another for us as he was pushed from behind when clear of the defender. Again, night have been 'soft' but it still looked a deliberate contact from behind.

First penalty was 100% the second one, seen them given but I think the ref gave the benefit of the doubt to the defender on that one, but certainly could've been given.

Think the third one, late on in extra time was very close. Think it was Yiadom who was almost on the goal line inside the area and hit a cross which clearly was blocked by a defender’s arm. Only thing that saved him IMHO was he was pretty close to Yiadom and the ref must of judged that as a premier league defender he didn’t intentionally handle the ball.

I'm not sure it was the same incident and/or in the area but there was one occasion where the ball very clearly hit the defender's hand which was not tucked into his body i.e. he'd made his body unnaturally bigger (I don't like the new interpretation but it is what should now apply). However, Friend seemed to take the view that the player couldn't get his hand out of the way (no longer relevant?).

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Mar 2020 09:52

Westwood52 The comment about the modern player not being two footed is very true.When I first started watching football,all the top footballers use to comment about working on their weaker foot.I seem to recall that our 2005 side only had one player who was genuinely two footed,and that was Doyle.Even at the top level the majority of players are not two footed.I remember during the Brazil World Cup;a great deal was made of Rooney being predominantly right footed,and Sturridge being predominantly left footed.Do modern top level coaches at junior level,even concentrate on working on players weaker foot.if not why not ?There are very few modern top level footballers who are genuinely two footed.
I wonder also in training what the RFC coaches do in training with regard to throw ins and in particular corners.We rarely score from corners.Yet some teams absolutely rely on set pieces for the majority of their goals;think Pulis and Allardyce teams.

I agree. When I was a kid I spent years practising kicking a ball against a brick wall at my home in an attempt to make my weaker left foot match the abilities of the right foot. If only modern players had the same determination to improve.

Eventually I succeeded and I learned to kick as well with my left foot as my right. Didn't alter the fact that I was crap with both feet of course.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Mar 2020 10:33

Was going to put this in club policies but will stick it in here.

The turnstiles failed for a number of people on Tuesday night and the customer care / support was an absolute joke. Cant remember the gate but it serves Y24 etc. I got my son through for then to have my card fail. I have to trust him to stand the other side whilst i go back out to sort it. You then have one woman serving a large crowd of people because by now a number of turnstiles were failing. I was one of the first in the queue to be seen and have card reset - and i finally got to my seat at 8:10pm having waited a good 15 minutes. Queue to be seen was a good 20 deep at this point and i think they were beginning to let people in through large doors with paper tickets. Either way it was an utter shambles.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Mar 2020 11:04

paultheroyal Was going to put this in club policies but will stick it in here.

The turnstiles failed for a number of people on Tuesday night and the customer care / support was an absolute joke. Cant remember the gate but it serves Y24 etc. I got my son through for then to have my card fail. I have to trust him to stand the other side whilst i go back out to sort it. You then have one woman serving a large crowd of people because by now a number of turnstiles were failing. I was one of the first in the queue to be seen and have card reset - and i finally got to my seat at 8:10pm having waited a good 15 minutes. Queue to be seen was a good 20 deep at this point and i think they were beginning to let people in through large doors with paper tickets. Either way it was an utter shambles.

I didn't go to this game because I'm a plastic, but I certainly had turnstile issues for the Barnsley game.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 Mar 2020 11:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup
paultheroyal Was going to put this in club policies but will stick it in here.

I didn't go to this game because I'm a plastic, but I certainly had turnstile issues for the Barnsley game.

Also, does anyone know the reason why in both the recent home games that Club 1871 were not allowed out through the usual double doors but funnelled out via the West stand?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 05 Mar 2020 11:43

Norfolk Royal
Westwood52 The comment about the modern player not being two footed is very true.When I first started watching football,all the top footballers use to comment about working on their weaker foot.I seem to recall that our 2005 side only had one player who was genuinely two footed,and that was Doyle.Even at the top level the majority of players are not two footed.I remember during the Brazil World Cup;a great deal was made of Rooney being predominantly right footed,and Sturridge being predominantly left footed.Do modern top level coaches at junior level,even concentrate on working on players weaker foot.if not why not ?There are very few modern top level footballers who are genuinely two footed.
I wonder also in training what the RFC coaches do in training with regard to throw ins and in particular corners.We rarely score from corners.Yet some teams absolutely rely on set pieces for the majority of their goals;think Pulis and Allardyce teams.

I agree. When I was a kid I spent years practising kicking a ball against a brick wall at my home in an attempt to make my weaker left foot match the abilities of the right foot. If only modern players had the same determination to improve.

Eventually I succeeded and I learned to kick as well with my left foot as my right. Didn't alter the fact that I was crap with both feet of course.

Me too

And I reckon I could cross the ball with my left foot to a reasonable standard. Certainly wouldn't keep coming back on to my right foot as most modern players do.

Drives me nuts because if I could do it why can't these guys, who are, after all, doing nothing else but play and practise football?

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 05 Mar 2020 12:38

bcubed And I reckon I could cross the ball with my left foot to a reasonable standard. Certainly wouldn't keep coming back on to my right foot as most modern players do.

Drives me nuts because if I could do it why can't these guys, who are, after all, doing nothing else but play and practise football?

Maybe because they're not being paid enough to do all that practise?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Mar 2020 12:43

bcubed
Norfolk Royal

Me too

And I reckon I could cross the ball with my left foot to a reasonable standard. Certainly wouldn't keep coming back on to my right foot as most modern players do.

Probably because they are good enough with one strong foot for the need to vastly improve the other isn't a priority once in the professional game? Would imagine their weaker footer is better than 99% of people's strong foot and the risk/reward of using a weaker foot is not big enough in a match when compared to shifting back to the preferred foot.

If there were a massive advantage to be had, then professional clubs would make it a focus.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 05 Mar 2020 14:00

Hound Pie and Mash?

Olives and Hummus more like. Ignorant northern tw@ts

They were also calling us "Dirty Cockneys", so I think their geography was a bit out. They called us every insult under the sun, but being called a cockney was the only thing that rankled.

I don't go for the idea we are poncy about food. I mean, I like a bit of pie and mash myself--so long as its artisanal, of course.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 05 Mar 2020 14:13

bcubed
Norfolk Royal

Me too

I'm sure they grew up practising two footed too and could run rings round all the two-footed Hob Nobbers while wearing a barnacle-encrusted clog on their right foot. But it's about fine margins, and I guess they'd often rather be accurate with their right foot than risk a lower accuracy level pass or shot with their left. But there was definitely one glaring opportunity for Swift to shoot with his left which he frustratingly declined.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 05 Mar 2020 14:57

I think you guys have a touch of the ‘better in the old days’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/5wfootba ... atter/amp/

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Mar 2020 15:15

It always amazes me in cricket that both Moeen Ali and Broad bowl right handed but bat left handed.I played a lot of rugby,mainly at centre ,but often on the wing.In an age when wingers played either solely right or left ,it didn’t bother me.I am almost entirely right sided,so much so I can barely unscrew a ketchup bottle left handed.It didn’t bother me whether I played right wing or left wing,and always gave the other winger the option of left or right.Playing LW gave me a better angle for clearances (I couldn’t do a banana kick),while I jinked off my left foot so was more attacking playing on the right side.
Tuesday night was a classic example of one foot domination.Meite played on the right hand side,but in the first half cut inside and hit an absolute screamer on target with his left foot.
It’s interesting in golf there are very few left handers ,but in tennis and cricket they are very common.I believe in boxing there a relatively few left handers,southpaws ?They are considered to be very awkward to fight against.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 05 Mar 2020 16:23

facaldaqui
bcubed
Norfolk Royal

Me too

I'm sure they grew up practising two footed too and could run rings round all the two-footed Hob Nobbers while wearing a barnacle-encrusted clog on their right foot. But it's about fine margins, and I guess they'd often rather be accurate with their right foot than risk a lower accuracy level pass or shot with their left. But there was definitely one glaring opportunity for Swift to shoot with his left which he frustratingly declined.

When I was playing at a young age I couldn't do anything with my left. Just didn't even bother to try as I knew it wasn't wired in and no coaches ever did other feet sessions, and I played to an ok level.

It wasn't until my late twenties when I started playing again that I realised my left foot had come to life and was handy enough to trust.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Mar 2020 16:24

Westwood52 It always amazes me in cricket that both Moeen Ali and Broad bowl right handed but bat left handed..

Thats not about being capable in batting both right and left though. I'm actually the same (though obviously at a rubbish level) when playing cricket, and batting right handed feels completely unnatural strangely. Must just be some brain wiring

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Mar 2020 16:39

Hound
Westwood52 It always amazes me in cricket that both Moeen Ali and Broad bowl right handed but bat left handed..

Thats not about being capable in batting both right and left though. I'm actually the same (though obviously at a rubbish level) when playing cricket, and batting right handed feels completely unnatural strangely. Must just be some brain wiring

My old man is the same, bowls right handed but bats left handed. Hound is right, that isn't just about being good with both hands, it is just a bit of a quirk.

Whereas someone like Ronnie O'Sullivan, he has as good with his left as he is with his right.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Mar 2020 17:40

Hendo
Hound

My old man is the same, bowls right handed but bats left handed. Hound is right, that isn't just about being good with both hands, it is just a bit of a quirk.

Whereas someone like Ronnie O'Sullivan, he has as good with his left as he is with his right.

Learnt years ago that club sports, and cricket and golf are both, require the dominant arm to lead. So a left hander ‘should’ play both in what we call right handed.
I’m a leftie and play (or at least used to in the case of cricket) with my left arm leading

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Mar 2020 09:14

Of course they do. :roll: Peofessional footballers these days are nearly always much better with their weaker foot than they used to be.

Kitson and Harper were both more two-footed than Doyle. Doyle always took set pieces with his right, Kitson mixed it up.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 06 Mar 2020 09:55

SCIAG

Of course they do. :roll: Peofessional footballers these days are nearly always much better with their weaker foot than they used to be.

Kitson and Harper were both more two-footed than Doyle. Doyle always took set pieces with his right, Kitson mixed it up.

I just seem to recall seeing a list of the 2005 squad a few years ago;ie height,previous club ,birth place etc and only Doyle was listed as two footed.However your memory of the 2005 team would be better than mine.

175 posts