BFTG Sheff U FB

175 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Sheff U FB

by leon » 04 Mar 2020 12:05

South Coast Royal So maybe those who disagreed with those of us who posted yesterday that Kevin Friend is a dreadful ref might now agree.?

Like most others I dreaded what the outcome might be after gifting the early goal but we hung in there and could have taken the game to penalties so ,much credit to the lads.
Lets' not get carried away however.
This was not the well-oiled Sheff Utd machine that has taken them to 8th in the Premier League.
The defence bar one was their normal set-up but all the rest for most of the game were fringe players and posed far less of an attacking threat than if Fleck and Norwood had been pulling the strings.

I saw Sheff Utd at Bournemouth back in August and haven't been surprised at how well they have done-their passing is accurate but their downfall is in striking options and they don't make many chances but when they do they tend to take them , just like last night .

From a Reading perspective we are a very defensive set-up and the gap so often between the rest and Puscas is enormous and I feel sorry for George in that there is seldom any quick support from midfield if he does manage to retain possession.
As JMW said earlier, we look good at times in possession but create so little in terms of clear cut chances.

Anyway today is not one to overly analyse or criticise our players who did their best.
Olise definitely looks a player although he seemed to have a free role to wander where he pleases without any defensive responsibility meaning that Obita was exposed more than he might have been.

So, what now?
It does look as though we are probably safe from relegation but I don't like Dellor's inferences (whether with any substance or not) that we need to be at least 12 points clear of the relegation positions-presumably he thinks he knows something but let's hope he is wrong.

If he is wrong I would like to see some building towards next season, perhaps playing a nucleus of players who are expected to be here next season and might form part of a settled side.
I would say also to try the youngsters but do we really have anybody near to first team quality apart from Olise and the two recent signings?

An enjoyable night with the inevitable ending-a plucky performance by the lower division club, seemingly a bit of favourtism from the referee and the other inevitable, a Billy Sharp goal when I think he has only scored 2 all season (that may be just in his occasional league games).

Sharp and Mcgoldrick - it was like a heritage evening.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2020 12:06

South Coast Royal So maybe those who disagreed with those of us who posted yesterday that Kevin Friend is a dreadful ref might now agree.?

Good shout. Possibly the worst ref I've seen all season. Making up for the penalty decision (which was soft but reasonable) but not giving us anything all night as they hacked our players to pieces. Their second goal came after another clear foul which the ref just allowed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2020 12:10

South Coast Royal
So, what now?
It does look as though we are probably safe from relegation but I don't like Dellor's inferences (whether with any substance or not) that we need to be at least 12 points clear of the relegation positions-presumably he thinks he knows something but let's hope he is wrong.

If he is infering a points deduction, we haven't even been charged with any offence and it is March, it will need to be a very quick announcement on a breach followed by a hearing in record time for there to be any impact this season - but if we have breached, so be it, take the punishment and see what happens.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 12:14

Stranded
South Coast Royal
So, what now?

If he is infering a points deduction, we haven't even been charged with any offence and it is March, it will need to be a very quick announcement on a breach followed by a hearing in record time for there to be any impact this season - but if we have breached, so be it, take the punishment and see what happens.

You'd think Reading would then appeal it anyway, which would lead to a further delay.

If, and it is a big IF, there is a points deduction, it is too late in the season and will likely be applied at the beginning of the season.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2020 12:14

Stranded
South Coast Royal
So, what now?

I only listen to BBCRB on matchdays so the topic may well have been discussed at other times but I think Dellor added that we should know in a couple of weeks-I may have read too much into his tone but it felt as though he was fearing the worst and that getting 12 points ahead was important.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Mar 2020 12:17

South Coast Royal
Stranded
South Coast Royal
So, what now?

I only listen to BBCRB on matchdays so the topic may well have been discussed at other times but I think Dellor added that we should know in a couple of weeks-I may have read too much into his tone but it felt as though he was fearing the worst and that getting 12 points ahead was important.

He mentioned this a few weeks back but without any real context.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2020 12:19

Hendo
Stranded
South Coast Royal
So, what now?

You'd think Reading would then appeal it anyway, which would lead to a further delay.

If, and it is a big IF, there is a points deduction, it is too late in the season and will likely be applied at the beginning of the season.

My own take on it FWIW is that with Derby, Sheff Wed, Birmingham , Reading and maybe more being involved in what might be sharp practice makes it too big an issue regarding deduction of points so knuckle rapping could be as far as it goes.
It is something that has been an undercurrent all season so I expect something to happen before the season ends.

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 04 Mar 2020 12:21

Meite was fantastic last night and toss up between him and Swift for MOTM. I thought Yiadom had a good game too and generally everyone played well. Our decision making let's us down at times and we need to be quicker with the ball - Ovie especially guilty of slowing the game down.

Altho Ovie does get a special mention for moment of the match, with that flick over the defender's head in the second half.....that's why he gets bums on seats. Just needs a bit more end product.

Other than being super annoyed at Friend not giving a blatant foul(s) in the build up to their winner and our inability to then clear the f'ing ball, it was a good night out. We deserved better in the end.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Mar 2020 12:23

South Coast Royal
Stranded
South Coast Royal
So, what now?

Did he factor in that we need to be 12 points clear of Birmingham, Sheff Wed and Derby once their points deductions are applied ? They seem likely to get quite large deductions given one is a repeat offender and the other 2 are basically fraudulent and the same as Man City have been hit hard for.
It’s of course possible that we’re in trouble but given Birmingham got 9 points for doing a lot more than just failing to get under the FFP. Limits I’m not sure we’d be hit with 12 points. We would need to have been told last season to cut spending and then been seen to wilfully ignore the warning whereas we appear to have taken steps to improve our position before signing any players.
If we were going to be charged you would think there would be more chat about it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Mar 2020 12:25

South Coast Royal
Hendo
Stranded

My own take on it FWIW is that with Derby, Sheff Wed, Birmingham , Reading and maybe more being involved in what might be sharp practice makes it too big an issue regarding deduction of points so knuckle rapping could be as far as it goes.
It is something that has been an undercurrent all season so I expect something to happen before the season ends.

Not sure our ground sale counts as sharp practice. As long as it was at a market valuation and we are paying a sensible rent what is wrong with it ? It’s much less ‘sharp’ than the way Man City and West Ham acquired and funded their grounds !

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Mar 2020 12:29

Unless we've done something underhand in terms of the business plan we gave the FL when they allowed us out of the temporary embargo I don't see how they can charge is with anything as surely we've just stuck to a plan that the FL themselves approved.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2020 12:32

Nameless
South Coast Royal
Hendo

Not sure our ground sale counts as sharp practice. As long as it was at a market valuation and we are paying a sensible rent what is wrong with it ? It’s much less ‘sharp’ than the way Man City and West Ham acquired and funded their grounds !

Not sure either whether "sharp practice" is the right term-I used it as a means of saying that rules may not have been broken but the spirit had.
Let's wait and see.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 04 Mar 2020 12:48

Very enjoyable game to watch last night, was intrigued to see how Bowen approached the game tactically against a Sheff Utd side that have given a lot of top teams a good game this season. After 2 minutes I feared the worse but once the sides confidence started flowing we looked pretty decent.

The ref as has become standard at the Madejski Stadium was terrible, just decided it was easier to not make any decision. How Andy Rinomhota can get rugby tackled down to the ground and not be given a freekick to Reading I will never know.

If we can sustain that level of performance next season we can be in the mix for the play-offs. Technically we have a decent side, we just need to bring that level of performance to each game.

Swift MOTM for me, looked the best player on the pitch.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 04 Mar 2020 12:53

Looked to me as if we had a game plan last night that consisted of soak up the pressure then have a go in the last 5-10 of the first half.
Despite the early lack of concentration to concede in the 1st minute we stuck to it and it kind of worked.
What you get though is a long period of the first half where we're not even looking like we're trying to get forward or create too much in the fear of getting caught on the break. The movement, therefore, is poor and it's not really my cup of tea.

Our pressure towards the end led to the pen which looked 50/50 from the middle of the East. Well slotted away.

Second half started to develop into a 'proper cup tie'. We raised our game and Utd seemed to drop off a bit.

Enjoyed the game as a whole but felt the ref let us down. It was all set up for pens which I think would have been fair but for some reason but the ref decided to wave away the foul in midfield from which they broke and scored whilst we're on the back foot.

A lot of criticism and praise for Ejaria. Personally, I find he's a bit lightweight in his challenges which irks me a lot. But there is skill in there so when the skill doesn't make enough of an appearance it really highlights his foibles.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Mar 2020 12:54

WoodleyRoyal Sorry but wtf? scores of 2’s and 4’s have a day off m8.

He is Chronicle Courtney and I claim my £5!

Very mean scores, pretty much all around. Maybe he mistakenly pasted ratings from the Wigan game!

Criticising Swift who was immense tonight (Many's MOTM) both defensively and creatively :roll: The only reason I would dock him a couple of marks is that, like Ejaria, he just won't take a shot when well positioned to do so!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Mar 2020 12:57

John Madejski's Wallet Yeah at the moment I'd definitely take Pele over Ejaria given the choice.

But Ejaria has the class in there, maybe he just needs a bit of a rest?

Pele is just ace

I am a great fan of Pele but watching the video highlights it looks like he was guilty of going to sleep and not picking up Sharp when he scored the winner.

That having been said, he did his best to atone and at least he isn't afraid to shoot (and pretty well when he does). Need to get him pushing forwards like that a lot more until Swift and Ejaria learn to pull the damn trigger when in range!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Mar 2020 13:34

South Coast Royal
Nameless
South Coast Royal

Not sure either whether "sharp practice" is the right term-I used it as a means of saying that rules may not have been broken but the spirit had.
Let's wait and see.

But then the rules of FFP hardly fit with the spirit of FFP ! When they force owners who are willing and able to support the club to find ways to make their investment ‘acceptable’ it all seems a bit pointless.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2020 13:42

Without sounding like OMA - We aren't getting charged with breaking FFP and we aren't going to be docked points. Simple as that.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Mar 2020 13:56

But Tim Dellor thinks that.....oh, I see

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Mar 2020 14:07

Hound Without sounding like OMA - We aren't getting charged with breaking FFP and we aren't going to be docked points. Simple as that.

That's reassuring Hound-I don't have to worry then about this or coronavirus or in fact anything. :wink:

175 posts