Coronavirus outbreak

1127 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coronavirus outbreak

by Snowball » 16 Mar 2020 19:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup Don't flame me for this but... yeah it's all serious and all that but...

does anyone really love all this general feeling of utter panic?

It kind of brings us all together a bit as a nation after all the divisive BS we've had with brexit.

I for one am not in the slightest "panicking"

I wish there was a virus that aggressively selected bog-roll hoarders, though
(and Tory politicians/Trump while you're at it, God)

From my perspective, reading the scientific papers, the extrapolations etc
(and posting some stuff here) is (for me) all about aiming for clarity amid
a world full of bull-shit and (sometimes) "false news'

I swear to God, if we discovered that 80% were going to die I wouldn't turn a hair.

What is, is.

What I am less keen on is uncertainty, bullshit, selfishness, aggression.

I'm still waiting for my diagnosis and I am praying that I have it
(mostly so I don't have to wait, weeks, months waiting to GET it)

If I have it, and I survive (and frankly Saturday night I was beginning to think I might not)
then I hope (as someone with immunity or partial immunity) I can volunteer

Flame me if you want, but maybe 500,000 thousand dead will bring us together

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Mar 2020 19:20

2 world wars, 1 world cup
It kind of brings us all together a bit as a nation after all the divisive BS we've had with brexit.

All the mass deaths are under Tory Governments or Tory Leaders?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Mar 2020 19:29

The Johns Hopkins Site is a Good Resource

Date: Time Total Cases

Fourth Column Cases NOT Chinese

12-Mar 10:39 126,660 46,660
12-Mar 12:13 127,749 47,749
12-Mar 13:13 127,863 47,863
12-Mar 23:43 128,343 48,343
12-Mar 04:46 128,392 48,392

13-Mar 12:13 135,382 55,382
13-Mar 15:53 137,385 57,385 - - 5,000 Deaths
13-Mar 16:43 137,445 57,445

14-Mar 10:13 145,377 65,377
14-Mar 11:53 147,399 67,399
14-Mar 12:13 147,653 67,653
14-Mar 15:13 149,292 69,292
14-Mar 16:33 149,943 69,943
14-Mar 16:53 150,006 70,006
14-Mar 17:13 153,503 73,503
14-Mar 20:33 155,371 75,371
14-Mar 22:33 156,062 76,062 - - 5,817 Deaths

15-Mar 06:33 156,400 76,400
15-Mar 18:20 162,687 82,687 - - 6,065 Deaths

16-Mar 03:33 169,387 88,387
16-Mar 14:38 174,615 93,615
16-Mar 15:13 174,884 93,884
16-Mar 16:13 174,995 93,995
16-Mar 16:53 175,250 94,250
16-Mar 19:13 179,103 98,103 - - 7,079 Deaths (so far)

I think they are projecting a doubling of numbers every five days.

Also we are in a partly-false environment. Today I read that if China had not
installed an absolutely Draconian clamp-down their cases would now be in
excess of 7.9 MILLION.

Hiding away does nothing long term, as when we emerge we all get the virus again

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Mar 2020 21:21

Let us know how that goes, windermere.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Mar 2020 22:49

Until yesterday I didn't know anyone who had it, now today I suddenly find out several have it or have recovered from what they think was it - from their description it sounds completely like it. Short of breath, high temperature, cough, feeling like death ... this includes a neighbour of mine who got it as early as January on way back from SA (stopover in Dubai). Went to his GP, who didn't bother testing for CV. Methinks there have been lots of unconfirmed cases walking the streets for the last 2 months. And one of my son's best friends at school has got it ... again not a 'confirmed' case, but same symptoms.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 17 Mar 2020 00:06

Snowball The shit paper thing is WEIRD

We managed without it for 50,000 years

I didn’t see a toilet roll until I was six

Pikey alert

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Mar 2020 00:20

Snowball

Hmm.

WWII was the Tories.

That's where it breaks down though as WWI and the subsequent flu were under the Liberals.

The Black Death was almost certainly Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 17 Mar 2020 05:40

SCIAG
Snowball

Hmm.

WWII was the Tories.

That's where it breaks down though as WWI and the subsequent flu were under the Liberals.

Definitely Dianne Abbots.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2020 06:53

Royalwaster Until yesterday I didn't know anyone who had it, now today I suddenly find out several have it or have recovered from what they think was it - from their description it sounds completely like it. Short of breath, high temperature, cough, feeling like death ... this includes a neighbour of mine who got it as early as January on way back from SA (stopover in Dubai). Went to his GP, who didn't bother testing for CV. Methinks there have been lots of unconfirmed cases walking the streets for the last 2 months. And one of my son's best friends at school has got it ... again not a 'confirmed' case, but same symptoms.

This is the big deal with CV.

My ex and her BF went to Singapore, Vietnam and toured Myanmar in December/January.

She says she felt rough on flight out of Myanmar and had a nasty dry cough and (quote) "About half the passengers were Chinese and everyone was coughing. "

Symptoms went away a day or so later. At the time she just put it down to “travel”

“Never really ill. Never tested”

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Mar 2020 10:18

Snowball Hiding away does nothing long term, as when we emerge we all get the virus again
It helps spread the strain on the NHS (only so many ventilators/staff to go round and gives the grave diggers/death business etc more time to dig plots etc etc.... and if you're a glass half full person it buys more time for a vaccine to be found/new treatments to be discovered.

If everyone with it now gets through it one way or another and do not contaminate anyone else then there won't be any virus around for anyone to catch. Easier said than done, but it will still work to a lesser extent.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2020 10:43

Forbury Lion
Snowball Hiding away does nothing long term, as when we emerge we all get the virus again
It helps spread the strain on the NHS (only so many ventilators/staff to go round and gives the grave diggers/death business etc more time to dig plots etc etc.... and if you're a glass half full person it buys more time for a vaccine to be found/new treatments to be discovered.

If everyone with it now gets through it one way or another and do not contaminate anyone else then there won't be any virus around for anyone to catch. Easier said than done, but it will still work to a lesser extent.

My understanding of the literature is that Draconian lock-downs eventually WORSEN the pandemic.

Totally understand the hump-flattening but that should mean reduced outgoing not stopping it.

At some point the Chinese epidemic will restart.

Best estimates of a safe virus is 18 months. By then there will be new variants

Forbury Lion If everyone with it now gets through it one way or another and do not contaminate anyone else then there won't be any virus around for anyone to catch. Easier said than done, but it will still work to a lesser extent.

It doesn't work like this, sadly.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Mar 2020 11:12

Right, I've heard a few conflicting views, but I think we should try to finish this season, even if we can't until August/September.

So what do we do with 20/21?

- Cancel domestic cups
- European competitions go straight to single tie knock outs
- If necessary, copy the Scottish league and split between top half and bottom half after 1st round of fixtures in order to shorten fixtures.

If people disagree and want to cut off the season, it simply has to be voided. Handing Liverpool the title is fairly uncontroversial, but what about promotion and relegation? Do you relegate Villa and Bournemouth? Have Leeds and WBA realistically got over the line for promotion? Too many controversial judgements. Find a way of finishing it on the pitch or void it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Mar 2020 12:10

Snowball
Forbury Lion

My understanding of the literature is that Draconian lock-downs eventually WORSEN the pandemic.

Totally understand the hump-flattening but that should mean reduced outgoing not stopping it.

Forbury Lion If everyone with it now gets through it one way or another and do not contaminate anyone else then there won't be any virus around for anyone to catch. Easier said than done, but it will still work to a lesser extent.

There’s no reason to think that it doesn’t work like that. It worked with SARS and MERS and taken to an extreme it theoretically could work with the common cold. We have no idea about the natural reservoir or whether the virus persists in people without symptoms but perfect isolation should end transmission. The issue is that we won’t get perfect isolation.

It’s much more of an assumption to say that we have 18 months before new strains evolve. We have absolutely no idea what the mutation rate is with this thing. It’s entirely possible we already have multiple strains circulating, it’s entirely possible that we never will.

The notion that the Chinese pandemic will magically restart... we’re more likely to see it re-introduced by foreign visitors. The domestic thing is dead now.

You’re in way over your head Snowball. As others have said you’re just spreading misinformation at this point. Appreciate that you are very enthusiastic about this whole thing but it’s not helpful to talk definitively about something you have very little understanding of.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2020 12:48

The spread of MERS was ONLY in hospitals and required PROLONGED contact with an infected person, so drop that off your argument.

We didn’t see anything REMOTELY like this governmental reaction when SARS reared its head.

I don’t claim to be a virologist or an academic researcher but I CAN read and I’m only quoting official sources.

My analysis is just my analysis, something any reasonably-educated person could do.

It is FARCICAL to think the Chinese lock-down idea is the answer. If it was that easy, we could just shut everything down for three months, let the virus die, and all live happily-ever-after.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Mar 2020 12:52

SCIAG
Snowball
Forbury Lion It helps spread the strain on the NHS (only so many ventilators/staff to go round and gives the grave diggers/death business etc more time to dig plots etc etc.... and if you're a glass half full person it buys more time for a vaccine to be found/new treatments to be discovered.

There’s no reason to think that it doesn’t work like that. It worked with SARS and MERS and taken to an extreme it theoretically could work with the common cold. We have no idea about the natural reservoir or whether the virus persists in people without symptoms but perfect isolation should end transmission. The issue is that we won’t get perfect isolation.

It’s much more of an assumption to say that we have 18 months before new strains evolve. We have absolutely no idea what the mutation rate is with this thing. It’s entirely possible we already have multiple strains circulating, it’s entirely possible that we never will.

The notion that the Chinese pandemic will magically restart... we’re more likely to see it re-introduced by foreign visitors. The domestic thing is dead now.

You’re in way over your head Snowball. As others have said you’re just spreading misinformation at this point. Appreciate that you are very enthusiastic about this whole thing but it’s not helpful to talk definitively about something you have very little understanding of.
Could work even easier with HIV/Aids, if everyone who has it doesn't infect anyone else then once they die out (hopefully after living a long and productive life) there won't be any HIV/Aids out there unless it came from another species and that same jump happens again.
This is maybe why they're not as active at finding a cure and the fact those who have it have medication that apparently lets them live a relatively normal life.

I guess the key to this may be finding out where it originated from so that it doesn't start again.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Mar 2020 12:54

Snowball It is FARCICAL to think the Chinese lock-down idea is the answer. If it was that easy, we could just shut everything down for three months, let the virus die, and all live happily-ever-after.
Do you think more or less people would have been infected if the Chinese didn't have a lock down and allowed it's population to travel to other towns/cities and even countries?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 17 Mar 2020 13:11

karbota
SCIAG
Snowball

Hmm.

WWII was the Tories.

Racist!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Mar 2020 13:43

Forbury Lion
Snowball It is FARCICAL to think the Chinese lock-down idea is the answer. If it was that easy, we could just shut everything down for three months, let the virus die, and all live happily-ever-after.
Do you think more or less people would have been infected if the Chinese didn't have a lock down and allowed it's population to travel to other towns/cities and even countries?

I think you miss the point. Of course isolation reduces infection rates in the short term.

But senior scientists speaking to the press and on TV have said lockdowns just kick the can down the road

They also cause people to think the scare is over. If China goes back to normal in the next few weeks watch the numbers rise.

People are saying that we took on SARS and won

There is no comparison!

UK TOTAL SARS CASES were 0004

Four

Yesterday we reached 1,553 OFFICIAL cases so we are already x 400
EDIT 1,950 Cases just announced = 487 x as many as SARS

Govt NHS has said numbers should double in five days and have said up to 80% of UK population will get it

Which is worse 50 Million or FOUR?

In TOTAL, SARS appeared in 29 countries, infected a mere 8,089 people and killed 774 people TOTAL, worldwide

This virus has hit 155 countries already and by tomorrow will have killed ten times as many as SARS did

ITALY, just Italy has already had three times the worldwide deaths by SARS

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Mar 2020 15:43

Elm Park Kid
karbota
SCIAG Hmm.

WWII was the Tories.

Racist!

How is that racist? You have no idea what ethnicity Dianne Abbots [sic] is, or indeed who she is.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Mar 2020 15:45

Guys I'm not sure whether to believe this or not but someone who works in the NHS told me the coronavirus thing has all just been a big hoax. It's not actually real and tomorrow they're going to explain at a press conference that it was just a bit of fun and everything will go back to normal.

I know it sounds a bit far fetched but I reckon it's probably true as my friend rarely gets things wrong.

1127 posts