Coronavirus outbreak

1127 posts
Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coronavirus outbreak

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Mar 2020 19:22

Is there any scientific evidence on how safe eating takeaway food is? I assume the biggest risk is packaging and delivery driver.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2020 19:25

Jagermesiter1871
Snowball
Jagermesiter1871
Does anyone think its comparable to SARS? Part of the issue with SARs what that it was so limited in spread that it barely registered on the conscious of Europe.

A few days ago WWII etc was saying we'd soon forget this "just like we did SARS"

I assume they were just trying to get a rise out of you. This has already had huge world wide consequences whilst SARs barely registered for most of the world even at its peak.

Swine flu is perhaps more comparable and looking at the death figures I'm surprised how quickly that was forgotten about.

Nah, people wouldn't do that... (Cough)

The latest death figures 14,366 mean that CV-19 Deaths are 18.66 times SARS

krapmle

by krapmle » 22 Mar 2020 19:35

but still a 100,000 behind the amount of flu deaths this winter. Nobody cares about flu.
And next year flu will come back again as it did last year and claim hundreds of thousands more.

Why do governments ignore that?
Why do we find that acceptable?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Mar 2020 21:29

Jagermesiter1871 Is there any scientific evidence on how safe eating takeaway food is? I assume the biggest risk is packaging and delivery driver.

Don't know if it answers my question but reports McDonalds are shutting all UK stores from tomorrow indefinitely. Surely this is huge?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Mar 2020 22:06

Jagermesiter1871
Jagermesiter1871 Is there any scientific evidence on how safe eating takeaway food is? I assume the biggest risk is packaging and delivery driver.

Don't know if it answers my question but reports McDonalds are shutting all UK stores from tomorrow indefinitely. Surely this is huge?

It appears to be in response to not being able to properly enforce social distancing despite their best efforts. Probably inevitable really.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Mar 2020 22:06

Jagermesiter1871

You mean it's a BIG Mac?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 22 Mar 2020 22:24

tidus_mi2
Jagermesiter1871

It appears to be in response to not being able to properly enforce social distancing despite their best efforts. Probably inevitable really.

How hard is it to shut the inside and do drive through only properly? I went and got a Donalds breakfast today and they managed to make the drive thru as unsocial distancey as possible. They had staff taking orders in the drive through lane instead of using the machine as normal ffs.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Mar 2020 22:55

Jagermesiter1871
tidus_mi2
Jagermesiter1871

How hard is it to shut the inside and do drive through only properly? I went and got a Donalds breakfast today and they managed to make the drive thru as unsocial distancey as possible. They had staff taking orders in the drive through lane instead of using the machine as normal ffs.

All outlets are being closed. No longer any need to fret.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 23 Mar 2020 06:25

We need a full lockdown NOW with only big supermarkets (probably include CoOp and Iceland) open.

The amount of fcking idiots who ventured down to Bournemouth and Brighton is ridiculous. Here is how it works for the air headed tw@ts.

One person positive unknowingly travels, passes it through not social distancing to another 10 maybe 100. They then pass it to all their friends, relatives who pass it around again. Yes well done you morons you've spread it and killed a couple of 100 for your own selfish day at the beach.

Get the army in, enforce this and let's get rid of this illness now. Oh and Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda dont let masses of people in you are compromising your staffs health

krapmle

by krapmle » 23 Mar 2020 06:59

state of play:

flu deaths this winter (so far) = 109,000 (no lock down, no panic and happens every year)
Corona virus deaths (so far) = 14,700 (lock down, massive panic, destroying world economy, one off event)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Mar 2020 07:29

krapmle state of play:

flu deaths this winter (so far) = 109,000 (no lock down, no panic and happens every year)
Corona virus deaths (so far) = 14,700 (lock down, massive panic, destroying world economy, one off event)

+1

Not worth the recession that’s coming, people are stupid.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 23 Mar 2020 07:40

You cant compare it to flu. I did at first, I didnt understand. If someone who has underlying health conditions gets this its curtains whatever their age.

I'm pretty sure no 18 year old has died from a bout of the flu.

I've never had flu but I'm shitscared of this thing. Seeing as I have a heart scan for a problem that might be there which was scheduled for 6th April (can say that probably isnt happening) I may get one of these dreaded letters which says I wont be seeing anything till June

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Mar 2020 07:43

Reading4eva You cant compare it to flu. I did at first, I didnt understand. If someone who has underlying health conditions gets this its curtains whatever their age.

I've never had flu but I'm shitscared of this thing. Seeing as I have a heart scan for a problem that might be there which was scheduled for 6th April (can say that probably isnt happening) I may get one of these dreaded letters which says I wont be seeing anything till June

Do you think Eddie Howe will leave Bournemouth at the end of the season?

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 23 Mar 2020 08:00

Old Man Andrews
Reading4eva You cant compare it to flu. I did at first, I didnt understand. If someone who has underlying health conditions gets this its curtains whatever their age.

Do you think Eddie Howe will leave Bournemouth at the end of the season?

Grow up you dick

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Mar 2020 08:11

How are funerals likely to be treated during all this? I presume they would just be limited to closest family, undertakers plus the vicar/celebrant?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Mar 2020 08:32

krapmle state of play:

You are showing an incredible degree of naïveté

Seasonal Flu

We have been in constant battles with the regular mutations of seasonal flu,
but every year more and more people grow immunity to one strain and
partial immunity to other strains. Yes, "Flu" is a matter of fact, something
we don't think about too much, and it is one of the things that can kill us.

BUT

So far there is no vaccine, no herd immunity, no partial immunity, for Covid-19

Second,

We have proven, trusted vaccines for the latest seasonal flu viruses.

We are likely to wait another 15-18 months for a safe, tested vaccine for Covid-19

Third

Seasonal flu is ten times (at least) less deadly than Covid-19

Fourth

Seasonal flu is harder to transmit. Covid-19 is spreading rapidly.
Saturday and Sunday there were 61,000 new KNOWN cases

I ask you again, knowing how US, UK, Japan, South Korea, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, China, South Korea, Australia, Canada - basically most of the world governments are solidly capitalists, built on and built for MAKING MONEY, why do you think (a) They are throwing money at this disease and (b) closing shops, pubs, cafes, restaurants (c) cutting transport to the bare bones (d) closing borders, stopping a massive percentage of flights, losing airlines, travel agents, creating bankruptcies etc etc

They do it because every world leader, every government is stupid and panicking? NO.

They do it because the experts are telling them this is the biggest epidemic, sorry pandemic since the 1918 so-called Spanish Flu.

The numbers are not showing the slightest sign of slowing down.

They are still rising by more and more each day.

Last Sunday the non-China rise was 6,625
The average for the last 4 days is 29,421, 4.44 times 6,625

06,625 Sunday
17,690 Monday
15,262 Tuesday
18,255 Wednesday
27,297 Thursday
29,438 Friday
32,897 Saturday
28,051 Sunday

That's a four-and-a-half-fold increase in one week.

What if the increase increases this week?

Italy 30 days ago had its first death.

They now have 5,476 (with probably 500+ more today).

That is already an average of 189 deaths a day excluding today's numbers.

It will probably get worse before it gets better,
doctors and nurses are dying, hospitals are bursting at the seams
Last edited by Snowball on 23 Mar 2020 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Mar 2020 08:33

I thought people were joking about Snowball and his stats in this thread......

Dear lord.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Mar 2020 08:41

Old Man Andrews I thought people were joking about Snowball and his stats in this thread......

Dear lord.

This is the perfect case for stats. Stats are facts. In yer face facts.

About a million times better than people bitching that every government
on the planet has gone mad (but they know better)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Mar 2020 08:50

Is it possible to disable the font size feature for Snowball? Bloody hell man, stop using it

And those death rate stats are utterly pointless being as it takes no account of the many people who have had it, recovered, and not been tested. Its pretty much standard thinking its around 1%. And those stats are massively skewed for anyone over 60 or with underlying health issues.

Oh and this clearly isnt just flu or in anyway comparable either. Its going to be a huge health issue for ours and every other country. Probably until we do have some immunity, be that a vaccine (very optimistic) or eventually herd immunity

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Mar 2020 09:01

The death rate stats for confirmed cases are fine.

Nobody is suggesting these are the OVERALL death-rates and the best estimates for that ATM are 1%

but 1% of UK IS 660,000

What’s 1% of 7.3 billion?

1127 posts