Coronavirus outbreak

1127 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coronavirus outbreak

by muirinho » 19 May 2020 00:00

Royalwaster
muirinho
Royalwaster I've just volunteered and been selected for this study which is looking for participants living in the following area:

We are currently recruiting participants in Oxford (postcode regions OX1, OX2, OX3, and OX4), the City of Westminster, and Reading (postcode regions RG1, RG2, RG30, RG31, RG4, RG5 and RG6).

https://covidstudy.zoo.ox.ac.uk/#section1

The study involves weekly tests for the virus or antibodies although they will not tell you your results ... but I think this is a very important study to support.

Thanks for the info, have applied

Did you get selected? I got an email within a couple of days saying I'd been selected ...

Nothing yet, so I guess not.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 May 2020 05:07

muirinho
Royalwaster
muirinho
Thanks for the info, have applied

Did you get selected? I got an email within a couple of days saying I'd been selected ...

Nothing yet, so I guess not.

You’ve probably been accepted as a contact tracer, though

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 19 May 2020 07:10

SCIAG Eniola Aluko says that the furlough scheme has created a culture of do-nothing entitlement.

Presumably she knows a lot about that given her brother has done nothing for nearly three years.

This deserves more acclaim :)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 May 2020 08:17

10539.4 Miles Away
SCIAG Eniola Aluko says that the furlough scheme has created a culture of do-nothing entitlement.

Presumably she knows a lot about that given her brother has done nothing for nearly three years.

This deserves more acclaim :)

Not really. It was an easy joke copied from someone on social media.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 May 2020 08:59

Royalwaster
Uke
Royalwaster
Not that late ... it's more likely in a few weeks or a month's time; and the samples are also anonymised as is standard practice in this kind of research. I'm not sure I'd take part if they could link the sample with a name - that's what is known as participant confidentiality and anonymity. I'm not doing it to know if I have it or not, but to help the research into this virus. If I was worried I have, I'd go and get tested.

It’ll be months away, when there’s spare capacity.

Clinical trials are my job 8)

In fact the test, included an antibody test that was self administered - so I know now that I am very unlikely to have had COVID, which I didn't think I had (apart from a few hypochondriac moments no real symptoms), so has been useful to be part of this trial.

You took your own blood sample? The only approved tests need you to take blood.

The pinprick test is not validated and has been rejected for false results.

Therefore the trial data will be suspect.

Tell more about the “antibody test” did you use blood or swab your nose?

And why are you the special one that has been selected to know your result, when the trial says you won’t be told

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 27 May 2020 08:50

Understand thedate the championship will resume is 20th June, subject to testing still being mainly negative

Del Goose

by Del Goose » 27 May 2020 20:32

At what point do you just call it a draw?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 May 2020 22:07

The government are allowing up to six people in public, which means that all our fans will be able to attend our home games.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 29 May 2020 05:54

SCIAG The government are allowing up to six people in public, which means that all our fans will be able to attend our home games.

Wahey!

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 May 2020 18:22

It did occur to me they could have started County Cricket.Only one man and his poor dog goes.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 May 2020 14:22

Westwood52 It did occur to me they could have started County Cricket.Only one man and his poor dog goes.

The bowler is too close to the umpire.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 May 2020 14:34

SouthDownsRoyal
Westwood52 It did occur to me they could have started County Cricket.Only one man and his poor dog goes.

Out of interest how much of a cricket season will there be? They usually would have been playing a couple of months by now so while I could see the 20/20 and one day competitions still being played I’m not so sure about the 5 day competition as I doubt they’d want to be completing things as late as November/December.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 May 2020 14:36

Sutekh
SouthDownsRoyal

Out of interest how much of a cricket season will there be? They usually would have been playing a couple of months by now so while I could see the 20/20 and one day competitions still being played I’m not so sure about the 5 day competition as I doubt they’d want to be completing things as late as November/December.

Weather could be a problem in December I think for cricket.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 May 2020 18:44

Sutekh
SouthDownsRoyal

County cricket is played over four days. Right now it looks like they’re going to resume in August and end the season in October as planned, with group stages before knockouts instead of a league.

I think the One Day cup has been cancelled as has The Hundred. The T20 competition is due to go ahead.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 31 May 2020 21:22

gazzer, loyal royal Understand thedate the championship will resume is 20th June, subject to testing still being mainly negative

Now confirmed as the provisional restart date

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 02 Jun 2020 08:49

SCIAG
Sutekh
SouthDownsRoyal

County cricket is played over four days. Right now it looks like they’re going to resume in August and end the season in October as planned, with group stages before knockouts instead of a league.

I think the One Day cup has been cancelled as has The Hundred.

So Corona hasn't been ALL bad then.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Jun 2020 23:50

10539.4 Miles Away
SCIAG
Sutekh

I think the One Day cup has been cancelled as has The Hundred.

So Corona hasn't been ALL bad then.

You're probably right. It doesn't make a lot of sense but I was due to watch a game at the Ageas. Thought I'd check it out. One of many many tickets I'll be getting refunded!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Jun 2020 08:12

SouthDownsRoyal
Sutekh
SouthDownsRoyal

Not necessarily. It is possible to play cricket in snow although the white ball game could be difficult.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jun 2020 08:41

Norfolk Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Sutekh

Not necessarily. It is possible to play cricket in snow although the white ball game could be difficult.

Not sure a grass wicket would agree with you. Be quite funny to watch mind you

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Jun 2020 08:41

Norfolk Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
Sutekh

:)

1127 posts