BFTG Brum

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Brum

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 08 Mar 2020 07:50

First half. Absolutely shocking. All of them, except Olise.

Second half. Did what we had to do and looked quite bright on the counter, although we should have kept the ball better in the last 15 minutes rather than panic and hoof.

Plus points: Swift second half, Olise, Rino and Richards, but really encouraged by Puscas. He's learning to hold the ball up and not fall over every time someone breathes on him, and he even got off the ground for one or two headers.

Cracking header from The Lump.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Mar 2020 09:42

What was with that 1st half performance? It was just so insipid

Swift was beyond atrocious, and everyone else looked like they'd forgotten the plan. Just before HT there was a passage of play on our left where the ball was just played in a triangle between Richards, Ejaria and Swift (?) for about 2 minutes, in which they did absolutely nothing, and clearly had no idea what to do, before the ball eventually made its way back to Raphael who sliced it out of play. Absolutely summed up the first half

Should have been 2 down at HT but two quick goals from nothing made for an enjoyable second half away day

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Mar 2020 10:10

leon
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Ejaria hasn't been found out. Players of his ability aren't found out. He's just not making the right choices.

He's young, he's talented and there's plenty of time for him to flourish. With experience comes better decisions. Swift's done it, so no reason he can't too.

Totally agree. Ridiculous statement from Crowbar there.

Well he’s been totally ineffective for 2 months so somethings up. Not sure it’s making wrong decisions.

I think it is. As well, as Mick pointed out a few matches ago, his luck has turned recently. For a while everything went right for him with things like the bounce of the ball but now they are constantly saying "he was unlucky there"

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Mar 2020 10:17

Old Man Andrews Ejaria should spend a couple of weeks playing the role of impact sub imo. He just needs to freshen up a little and get some rest. Young man who has a big future and I'd hate to see his season end on a down note or pick up an injury due to over exertion.

It's easy to forget he's only 21, and this is also his first full season playing 40+ games. It's gruelling, and I expect one reason Olise is shining is that he's fresher. I totally agree with the idea of resting him a bit. It's laughable to suggest he's been found out. Swift's first season under Stam was not dissimilar and at the same age; made a great start and then tailed off badly. I don't think people would suggest he simply got found out now.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Mar 2020 10:21

We have now picked up a healthy 25 points from 19 away games but just 23 from 18 home games. If only for a half decent home record and we would be flying.

It’s very difficult to suss out this Reading side. Technically we have some of the most gifted players in the division yet we often seem unable to create many chances.
Yet I look at teams like Bristol City, Preston, Forest etc and do not see teams who appear in any way superior to us. Brizzle have a negatibve goal difference yet are on the verge of the play offs.

In the main we appear to be heading in the right direction but there remains a fragility to such an extent that a good summer window will see us pushing for promotion but a bad one will see us fighting relegation. We really are an odd side this season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Mar 2020 10:43

I dont know what to say about the game really. First 25 minutes we looked shit. Swift in particular. It raised a question for me, if Swift struggles does everyone struggle? I mean, he wasnt much better after that but he stopped giving the ball away every time. Is it a case of when Seift plays badly the team does or am I giving him too much credit?

I thought the ref was shit but sided with us more often than not.

Miazga deserves credit for not letting his error get the best of him.

Anyone who thinks Meite isnt good enough can oxf*rd off now. He scores. He shows desire and passion. He works hard for us.

Puscas did great up front.

Rafael looked solid again.

I was surprised at Birmingham. Why is Clarke-Salter not starting? They're starting CBs were shit. Where is that spanish mid they bbought in the summer??? Why is Crowley playing on the wing? I mean, he looked good still, but hes not a winger.

Delighted Pele scored and loved his interveiw. He clearly likes it here but so did Oliveira and he didnt come back. Hope it's different this time.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Mar 2020 11:21

NewCorkSeth
leon
NewCorkSeth Totally agree. Ridiculous statement from Crowbar there.

Well he’s been totally ineffective for 2 months so somethings up. Not sure it’s making wrong decisions.

I think it is. As well, as Mick pointed out a few matches ago, his luck has turned recently. For a while everything went right for him with things like the bounce of the ball but now they are constantly saying "he was unlucky there"

Yeah rest him a bit we have Rinomhota and probably needs a bit of a break.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Mar 2020 11:28

Fully agree it’s time to give Ovie a rest

On balance he has had a very good season for us and is a real talent

Give him a couple of games on the bench - we’ve plenty who can come in for him

Very tidy win that. A good sign that we won comfortably away at a side who hadn’t lost for 10 games with a team getting ‘6s’. Bit like Barnsley

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Mar 2020 11:30

leon
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Ejaria hasn't been found out. Players of his ability aren't found out. He's just not making the right choices.

He's young, he's talented and there's plenty of time for him to flourish. With experience comes better decisions. Swift's done it, so no reason he can't too.

Still don’t think CM/CAM is the better position for him, crowded out too easily there when teams tuck in, would probably prefer to give Olise a shot in the middle

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2020 11:51

He just needs to stop getting the ball stuck under him to jink through three players you could throw a blanket over. Instead, up the tempo, force errors for a purpose and release it earlier.

In exactly the same way Swift needed to stop trying to jink his way through tiny gaps all the time and stop playing unnecessarily extravagant passes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Mar 2020 12:12

Ejaria is 22. This is his first full season playing week in week out. There was bound to be a dip at some stage.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Mar 2020 12:22

Football post: Terrible first half, solid second with three well taken goals. Olise was only light after 45 minutes. Everyone better in second half, but...

Right now, Ejaria slows things down
Puscas works his socks off but we're not playing to his strengths in any way
Decent use of subs

Birmingham fans broadly quiet except for the teenagers at the top, with the smoke bomb. Tribute to the Brummie lad at 34 minutes done well and good to see RFC end joining in.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Mar 2020 12:49

Off The Pitch post

Later start than usual, as I was having lunch with my Dad (buffalo & rye, smokehouse) but The Wellington was well-chosen starting point. Black Country Ales' major Brum centre pub, with at least 17 lines on the go (there's more upstairs, but iirc they're the local ciders). Pre-match ale here with Green, JMW, papes Sr and my mate from the Red.

Half time pint was serviceable.

The Uber from Digbeth to our first post-match pub was fun, as I was probably the smallest of the three of us in the back and, truth be told, my athletic days are a while ago. Barely got my legs inside...

Hen and Chickens: pints of tribute and envious eyes at the curries on offer. Joined by two mates from Brum.

Rock and Roll brewhouse: up the hill to get here before closing time, Ramble On proved a solid session beer.

Burning Soul: pub in an industrial unit time! Also, back down the hill as RnR calls last orders at 1830. Drinks diverged somewhat here, pale ales for some, pilsners for others and 'experimental ale' for Green. Err, I hope he's ok this morning, it looked like dishwater.

Jewellers Arms: back up the hill, with myself straggling behind. Except I know the short cut and somehow managed to get there first. LOL? I had a pale ale called Quadhop, crisp and drinkable. The plum bitter selected by JMW and Green started well but each sip brought diminishing returns. Also, cobs made to order, how about yes?

Whisky Tasting Bar: apparently it was Brum whisky festival, so this place had taken a battering. Only one bottle of lager left in the fridge, no IPA and the choice between an IPA and a porter. While not to my tastes, and certainly not after a run of paler beers, I can certainly appreciate that it wasn't a bad beer, nice combination of bitter and smokey flavours.

At this point, JMW had to depart, with the last train to 'Ding at a mere 2105. Laughable, really. The two Brummie lads also departed, so Green and I finished off a solid tour of JQ hostelries in the Cask Inn Micropub with a 2/3 of Kona (Green) and a USA pale (me).

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Mar 2020 15:45

stealthpapes Off The Pitch post

Later start than usual, as I was having lunch with my Dad (buffalo & rye, smokehouse) but The Wellington was well-chosen starting point. Black Country Ales' major Brum centre pub, with at least 17 lines on the go (there's more upstairs, but iirc they're the local ciders). Pre-match ale here with Green, JMW, papes Sr and my mate from the Red.

Half time pint was serviceable.

The Uber from Digbeth to our first post-match pub was fun, as I was probably the smallest of the three of us in the back and, truth be told, my athletic days are a while ago. Barely got my legs inside...

Hen and Chickens: pints of tribute and envious eyes at the curries on offer. Joined by two mates from Brum.

Rock and Roll brewhouse: up the hill to get here before closing time, Ramble On proved a solid session beer.

Burning Soul: pub in an industrial unit time! Also, back down the hill as RnR calls last orders at 1830. Drinks diverged somewhat here, pale ales for some, pilsners for others and 'experimental ale' for Green. Err, I hope he's ok this morning, it looked like dishwater.

Jewellers Arms: back up the hill, with myself straggling behind. Except I know the short cut and somehow managed to get there first. LOL? I had a pale ale called Quadhop, crisp and drinkable. The plum bitter selected by JMW and Green started well but each sip brought diminishing returns. Also, cobs made to order, how about yes?

Whisky Tasting Bar: apparently it was Brum whisky festival, so this place had taken a battering. Only one bottle of lager left in the fridge, no IPA and the choice between an IPA and a porter. While not to my tastes, and certainly not after a run of paler beers, I can certainly appreciate that it wasn't a bad beer, nice combination of bitter and smokey flavours.

At this point, JMW had to depart, with the last train to 'Ding at a mere 2105. Laughable, really. The two Brummie lads also departed, so Green and I finished off a solid tour of JQ hostelries in the Cask Inn Micropub with a 2/3 of Kona (Green) and a USA pale (me).

Hen and Chickens is great, though not as good value as it used to be prior to the refurb a couple of years ago. Could have done Indian Brewery as well, and the Wolf both very close to H&C

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 08 Mar 2020 16:07

Singing Defective Evening rounded off by Cross Country no-trains cancelling two trains, so with a Wasps game, Oxford at Shrewsbury and our little contribution, the train was like a Corona infection party.

We had a good sing song though.

Another top away day. Second half was awesome. lol at the Brum teen firm. Few coins thrown our way. Zammo jnr made about a quid in shrapnel.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Mar 2020 16:51

URZZZZ
leon
NewCorkSeth Totally agree. Ridiculous statement from Crowbar there.

Still don’t think CM/CAM is the better position for him, crowded out too easily there when teams tuck in, would probably prefer to give Olise a shot in the middle

Possibly right there. I think if we had more traditional wingers rather than an inside forward on the right in Meite and a sort of roaming playmaker on the left in Olise then he could probably be successful as a 10. I think the way we play is very narrow so it puts a lot of pressure on Ejaria in that central role to move the ball faster than he has done.

Olise might be better in that role as he has shown to have a better range of passing (he is also guilty of staying on the ball too long) and Ejaria was in his best form for us when on the left.

At least we have options.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 08 Mar 2020 18:37

Zammo
We had a good sing song though.

That we did.

In ground: Though it does get dull at the third “Is this a library?” When the only Birmingham fan response is that a few more go home. “You’re just a [not very good] Aston Villa” did get more of a rise :lol:
Cheeky of the officialdom do do a “quiz” in letters large enough for people to read from the space station as to who scored our own goal at their last visit.

On platform: Kept atmosphere going while the Nitwork Wail lot tried to decide which one of three trains was actually going to get to 1a first. Knowing the shambles that is New Street, my firstborn and I kept near to stairs, in case there was the usual “platform change” announcement to somewhere like 15.

In train: Never seen Oxford fans quite so determined to blend in with the background :)

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 08 Mar 2020 19:10

3points Definitely a game of two halves. Overall a poor game of football, but we won. We were workmanlike in the second half. Good to get the equaliser early and the second knocked the stuffing out of the Blues and their fans. Birmingham were poor throughout. How have they got so many points? When they played at the Madejski they knocked it around quite nicely at times but now resemble just a Warnock team in a Pep Clotet disguise.

Swift was dreadful first half and Ovie non-existent. Morrison’s nd Miazga solid, and Yiadom did very little attacking. Looked like a definite tactic. I liked Omar Richards’ tenacity throughout the game. I’d have him as MOTM. We look better with Rino’s energy and driving runs in midfield too.

Cracking finish from Miazga which made up for his mistake for their goal. Not sure how Hogan missed the chance on the back post soon after they scored.

6’s all round except a 4 for Ovie and a 7 for Richards.

Good day out with 3points where I broke my away win duck. 1st half dire, 2nd half much better. Good fan atmosphere, nice acknowledgment at the end by the players & Bowen.

Lolz at the 50-60 year old Birmingham fan in the corner making a tit of himself acting like a teenager giving the whole tosser hand shake, etc. - I know we all do it, but he was embarrassing.

Not sure Horseman was a good choice of coaches given what they were used for a few weeks back ...

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Mar 2020 19:26

leon
NewCorkSeth

Not totally. What about that sublime pass to Meite at Wednesday?

I'd like to see Ejaria look up more, as Swift is doing. His dribbles are so intricate that I think they tax his short-term memory to the point he ends up in a blind maze, so in the end it's pot luck whether he comes out with the ball or disappears up his own arse. I love watching him, though--proper entertaining. But he must be tired after all these recent games.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Mar 2020 20:25

RG7Fan
3points Definitely a game of two halves. Overall a poor game of football, but we won. We were workmanlike in the second half. Good to get the equaliser early and the second knocked the stuffing out of the Blues and their fans. Birmingham were poor throughout. How have they got so many points? When they played at the Madejski they knocked it around quite nicely at times but now resemble just a Warnock team in a Pep Clotet disguise.

Swift was dreadful first half and Ovie non-existent. Morrison’s nd Miazga solid, and Yiadom did very little attacking. Looked like a definite tactic. I liked Omar Richards’ tenacity throughout the game. I’d have him as MOTM. We look better with Rino’s energy and driving runs in midfield too.

Cracking finish from Miazga which made up for his mistake for their goal. Not sure how Hogan missed the chance on the back post soon after they scored.

6’s all round except a 4 for Ovie and a 7 for Richards.

Good day out with 3points where I broke my away win duck. 1st half dire, 2nd half much better. Good fan atmosphere, nice acknowledgment at the end by the players & Bowen.

Lolz at the 50-60 year old Birmingham fan in the corner making a tit of himself acting like a teenager giving the whole tosser hand shake, etc. - I know we all do it, but he was embarrassing.

Not sure Horseman was a good choice of coaches given what they were used for a few weeks back ...

Horseman have done the away coaches for decades though.
Either the specific ones used for away travel weren’t used to transport the people who didn’t have flu, or they were and have since had a military level forensic clean.
Either way you were more at risk from your fellow travellers on the coach than you were from any virus lurking in the fabric of the vehicle.
Hope you’ve got plenty of pasta and loo roll !!