Enjoying or hating the no football era?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Enjoying or hating the no football era?

by tmesis » 26 Mar 2020 21:05

We played games on consecutive days as recently as 1986, playing Boxing Day and the day after. I think we drew both, 2-2 v Birmingham at Elm Park on Boxing Day, and 1-1 at Brighton the day after.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Mar 2020 09:48

STAR Liaison
2 world wars, 1 world cup Blimey.

Did you wear shinpads?

Only in the office. :wink:

:lol:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Mar 2020 14:13

STAR Liaison
2 world wars, 1 world cup
STAR Liaison
This is an internet myth as far as we know. There is no contemporary evidence of a foundation date or meeting. Extremely unlikely it would have been before Nov 1871.

Not before November? It definitely can't be Xmas Day then.

Eh? There was interest in setting up football clubs locally in Nov / Dec 1871 - because the FA Cup had just started with Marlow and Maidenhead competing. Henley were formed about this time. It's theoretically possible that Reading could have been formed on 25 Dec 1871 but there's no evidence to support this and it seems very unlikely that a religious holiday would have been interrupted to do this.

I was under the impression that we (along with Notts County) had entered every edition of the FA Cup. As Notts County won the FA Cup in 1894, this made us the least successful side in the competition’s history. Just looked it up and you’re right, this is not true. Maidenhead and Marlow have both entered every competition bar one, so are the most successful sides. Is this a warped version of a true fact or just a complete fabrication? Are we perhaps the team with the most consecutive entries but no victories?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 27 Mar 2020 14:46

SCIAG
STAR Liaison
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Not before November? It definitely can't be Xmas Day then.

Eh? There was interest in setting up football clubs locally in Nov / Dec 1871 - because the FA Cup had just started with Marlow and Maidenhead competing. Henley were formed about this time. It's theoretically possible that Reading could have been formed on 25 Dec 1871 but there's no evidence to support this and it seems very unlikely that a religious holiday would have been interrupted to do this.

I was under the impression that we (along with Notts County) had entered every edition of the FA Cup. As Notts County won the FA Cup in 1894, this made us the least successful side in the competition’s history. Just looked it up and you’re right, this is not true. Maidenhead and Marlow have both entered every competition bar one, so are the most successful sides. Is this a warped version of a true fact or just a complete fabrication? Are we perhaps the team with the most consecutive entries but no victories?

With Notts demise to NL the situation has changed. Almost need to be a lawyer to write this this!

Of the current league clubs Reading has most consecutive entries into the FA Cup - every year since 1877 (the same year Notts first entered). We will hold that 'record' until Notts get back in the league when we'll have to revert to having most unsuccessful entries because, as you say, they won it in 1894 and we'll hold that record until we win the damn thing! Or something worse happens.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Mar 2020 14:59

STAR Liaison
SCIAG
STAR Liaison

With Notts demise to NL the situation has changed. Almost need to be a lawyer to write this this!

Of the current league clubs Reading has most consecutive entries into the FA Cup - every year since 1877 (the same year Notts first entered). We will hold that 'record' until Notts get back in the league when we'll have to revert to having most unsuccessful entries because, as you say, they won it in 1894 and we'll hold that record until we win the damn thing! Or something worse happens.

If you were wondering I believe that is a record of 133 successive failed entries (1877 to 2020 less 4 years for WWI and 6 years for WWII). That total could be very well reduced to 132 given the current situation.

Anyone know which is the next most unsuccessful league club?

And, for the record, I think only Marlow and maybe Maidenhead can beat that figure if you include teams at all levels of the game?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Mar 2020 22:50

tmesis We played games on consecutive days as recently as 1986, playing Boxing Day and the day after. I think we drew both, 2-2 v Birmingham at Elm Park on Boxing Day, and 1-1 at Brighton the day after.
home on leave, twas at them both....the gallstone ground wasn’t it?

Hi-lite of the Brighton trip was somebody ‘praying to Allah’ in a lay-by on the A23...wild times :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2020 08:59

Glad for the lack of football again. I was bored enough to watch the entire Simod Cup Final when the club posted it on YouTube.

Football was a bit different back then!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Mar 2020 11:51

I’m not really missing it at all for now.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 30 Mar 2020 10:52

As the OP on this thread I thought it was my duty to report back. (No, don't bother, they chorused).

Season 2019-20 - it's like getting through 500 pages of a not very good 600 page book and finding the last 100 pages are missing. What do I still want to know or care about? Will Man City win the Champions League and give UEFA the finger? Will Sheff U get in the Champions League and give the Big Six the finger too? Will Villa and Bournemouth get relegated and Leeds, impossibly, bottle promotion again? That's about it. And the Euros, I'll miss the Euros while England are still in.

John Smith in the first response to this thread questioned whether I was a real supporter. Sarcastic and glib comment but I've not seen a game for almost 4 weeks - live or on TV - and I'm still not missing it. So I wonder.

I am missing and disappointed I'm not going to Luton and Charlton aways. They are good trips to old grounds we haven't seen lately. And not being able to go to Marlow away. But I'm not missing routinely trudging down to the Madstad to check out whether we fail to win as usual in our quest to finish 16th or 14th or whatever. Supporter or addict who just can't let go? What happens when the cold turkey ends - to all of us fans?

How the season is resolved - whether, like non-league, they expunge the results and press re-start or instead call the season over with the league tables as they stand - is really interesting and fortunately Reading have no beef either way.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Apr 2020 12:31

Fox Talbot How the season is resolved - whether, like non-league, they expunge the results and press re-start or instead call the season over with the league tables as they stand - is really interesting and fortunately Reading have no beef either way.

The only fair thing would be to cancel the season and pretend it never happened. It's too close, especially in the championship, to finish it as the table stands. Alternatively depending on the time frame of coronavirus would be to indefinitely delay the season with the aim of resuming it around the November time or so and not having a 2020/2021 season at all. Wouldn't happen but would be fairer.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 02 Apr 2020 18:53

As for no football, at the moment it's like the summer, only without a 30 page thread about what the new kit will be like.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Apr 2020 11:35

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... s-18031131

Seems the Belgian FA have taken the decision to end their season as things currently stand. This should pass ratification by full committee there later this month.

Not sure what ramifications are for the rest of Europe as apparently there was only 1 actual league game left but to be honest I wouldn’t be surprised to see the PL and FL eventually follow suit with, presumably, a ppg ratio applied to pick up the gaps where clubs hadn’t played the same number of games. However the European authorities are urging domestic bodies not to abandon their league competitions.

Of course if the season did resume, Reading would presumably have Tom Holmes available after his loan over there.

For the record, as per the link below, it is expected that the PL (and probably the FL) will announce a further delay to any possible resumption - so, quite rightly, they’re going to give it as much time as possible before finalising their decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52140204

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 03 Apr 2020 12:37

Sutekh https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-defenders-season-ends-18031131

Seems the Belgian FA have taken the decision to end their season as things currently stand. This should pass ratification by full committee there later this month.

Not sure what ramifications are for the rest of Europe as apparently there was only 1 actual league game left but to be honest I wouldn’t be surprised to see the PL and FL eventually follow suit with, presumably, a ppg ratio applied to pick up the gaps where clubs hadn’t played the same number of games. However the European authorities are urging domestic bodies not to abandon their league competitions.

Of course if the season did resume, Reading would presumably have Tom Holmes available after his loan over there.

For the record, as per the link below, it is expected that the PL (and probably the FL) will announce a further delay to any possible resumption - so, quite rightly, they’re going to give it as much time as possible before finalising their decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52140204

It may not. It would depend on what the FA do about loan contracts this season. If they were to say all loan periods were to be extended to enable players to see out this season at the club they are on loan to, would this prevent him playing for us? If we are able to play loanees in our games, would we be able to play someone who is technically on loan to someone else? I wouldn't like to be one of the people to sort out this mess out, it will be wrong in half the peoples eyes what ever they do!

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 03 Apr 2020 13:43

CountryRoyal Alternatively depending on the time frame of coronavirus would be to indefinitely delay the season with the aim of resuming it around the November time or so and not having a 2020/2021 season at all. Wouldn't happen but would be fairer.

Do you think they'd have to not allow any transfers between now and then? As teams that are at the extreme ends of the table would then be able to double-down and get in the reinforcements they needed to get them over the line...

It's an interesting on fo' sure.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Apr 2020 00:04

Am I the only one who think's there's a good chance things won't resume at all this year and possibly even next year?

In what circumstances will people be able to meet in 10's of thousands? Surely this will only be once the virus is eradicated or we have a vaccine, which is very unlikely to be any earlier than mid 2021 and that's with things going well. Perhaps games behind closed doors but even then that's putting players and staff at risk.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Apr 2020 07:11

Jagermesiter1871 Am I the only one who think's there's a good chance things won't resume at all this year and possibly even next year?

In what circumstances will people be able to meet in 10's of thousands? Surely this will only be once the virus is eradicated or we have a vaccine, which is very unlikely to be any earlier than mid 2021 and that's with things going well. Perhaps games behind closed doors but even then that's putting players and staff at risk.

You most definitely not alone on that assumption, the lives we have always taken for granted may have to be put on hold for another year or so, it`s difficult to see any football being played in front of crowds in the forseeable future. even next season is probably in doubt already.

It will be a hell of a party when we get going again for sure, but thats still some way off.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Apr 2020 11:46

windermereROYAL It will be a hell of a party when we get going again for sure, but thats still some way off.

If it lasts a year or more, how many businesses in the entertainment/leisure industry will still exist after a year of no income?

In two months time people will have had enough, and the only things that will stop people going out are martial law or astronomical death rates, leaving them too scared to go out.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Apr 2020 13:05

tmesis
windermereROYAL It will be a hell of a party when we get going again for sure, but thats still some way off.

If it lasts a year or more, how many businesses in the entertainment/leisure industry will still exist after a year of no income?

In two months time people will have had enough, and the only things that will stop people going out are martial law or astronomical death rates, leaving them too scared to go out.

Go out to where is the main question?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Apr 2020 13:19

windermereROYAL
tmesis

Anywhere...outdoors, go round to see friends, family. Basically where the irresponsible few are still going and spreading the virus currently.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 04 Apr 2020 14:54

tmesis
windermereROYAL
tmesis If it lasts a year or more, how many businesses in the entertainment/leisure industry will still exist after a year of no income?

Anywhere...outdoors, go round to see friends, family. Basically where the irresponsible few are still going and spreading the virus currently.

These are still unlikely to be mass gatherings and I think within a few months that will probably be relaxed anyway but can see retail and pubs etc still being closed. If shops, pubs and restraurants aren't open then there aren't really many places for people to go and congregate and these places are quite easy to enforce closure on. Parks could be the only place I can really think of but with the British weather that will probably only be a massive issue for about 2 weeks and thats likely to coincide with when infection will have plateaued and be low anyway, ramping back up again in autumn again for the crap weather to be back.