John Haselden

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

John Haselden

by Sutekh » 01 Apr 2020 13:16

Sad to report the passing of John Haselden who was a key part Ian Branfoot’s team

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/m ... 943--2020/

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

Re: John Haselden

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 01 Apr 2020 15:55

Yup, saw this yesterday. Very sad.

Don't forget he was actually stand in manager for a number of games, too.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Apr 2020 16:35

Very sad.

Nice tribute from Huddersfield Town.....

Town saddened to report the passing of John Haselden

- Rest in Peace John Haselden
- Thoughts of Huddersfield Town with their families
- John Haselden spent 10 years with the Terriers

Huddersfield Town are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former Assistant Manager John Haselden.

After an 11-year playing career, John joined Huddersfield Town in 1976 as a Coach and Physiotherapist under Tom Johnston but was shortly named Caretaker Manager between Johnston’s spells in charge.

He continued in a coaching capacity until Mick Buxton was appointed Manager in 1978. Mick made John his Assistant Manager and the pair turned in to a formidable managerial duo. In their first full season together, they guided Town to promotion from the Fourth Division as Champions.

Their successes didn’t stop there! Three seasons later, the 1982/83 campaign, they guided the Terriers into the Second Division. He departed the Club in 1986.

Town legend Mick Buxton commented:

"John made an immense contribution to Huddersfield Town and played a key role in what is generally one of the greatest eras in the Club’s history.

"John might not have played for Huddersfield or come from Huddersfield but he poured his heart and soul into the town’s football club behind the scenes so he was a real unsung hero.

"I could not have asked for a better right-hand man. We really hit it off. We knew exactly what we wanted to achieve at Leeds Road and we agreed on exactly we were going to achieve our goals.

"We had a small backroom staff, which included Jimmy Robson and Steve Smith, and together we transformed the Club.

"We were third-bottom of the Football League when we joined forces and by winning promotion twice and building three distinct teams we put ourselves in contention to win a place in the old First Division

"John went about his work with the minimum of fuss and I knew that I could trust him 100 percent. We were always on the same page and even though we occasionally disagreed we clicked.

"What helped matters is that he commanded the respect of the players, right from emerging talents like Mark Lillis, Julian Winter and Peter Butler to seasoned professionals like Steve Kindon, Sam Allardyce and Joey Jones.

"Like me, John did not one, not two but three jobs, which he relished when we were together as trainer, physio and scout but it’s just a shame he got one salary instead of three.

"It's very sad but even though John prided himself on physical fitness, he was deprived a long and enjoyable retirement with his beloved wife Eileen by dementia which is a real shame.

"When he should have been enjoying seeing Town reach the Premier League and playing golf, which he loved, it was very upsetting to see him develop Alzheimer’s and end up in a care after years of Eileen being an amazing wife and caring for him at home.

"John’s death is another wake-up call - it just shows the importance of the football authorities helping scientists find answers about the links between the game and this cruel disease.

"There are so many former footballers, people who mean a lot to me, who are losing their lives to dementia but for now it’s important for Town fans to pause and think about the huge legacy he’s left the Club."

The thoughts of everyone at Huddersfield Town are with the family and friends of John at this sad time.

RIP John Haselden 1943 – 2020

One87One

by One87One » 02 Apr 2020 14:58

I think John was still with the club when we wont the old division two back in 93/94. RIP.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1