Finance

390 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Finance

by SCIAG » 15 Apr 2020 09:30

Jagermesiter1871 How come there isn't uproar that non-playing staff at Reading are being furloughed whilst there is no change to players pay?

Reading have been pretty bad to watch for most of the past seven or eight years, so unlike Liverpool and Spurs we don’t have many fans who still wet the bed.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 Apr 2020 12:46

SCIAG
Jagermesiter1871 How come there isn't uproar that non-playing staff at Reading are being furloughed whilst there is no change to players pay?

Reading have been pretty bad to watch for most of the past seven or eight years, so unlike Liverpool and Spurs we don’t have many fans who still wet the bed.

We also, unlike Spurs, don't have an owner giving himself a £7 million, including a £3 million bonus, while doing it.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 Apr 2020 13:49

Aren't our owners richer?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 Apr 2020 13:50

Yeah I know I miss the bleeding obvious but those staffing levels look ridiculously high.Aside from match day staffing.Sixty odd players ? I suppose a lot of that number are “students”;amongst which historically golden nuggets have been few and far between.Coaching and admin staffing levels are also very high. ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Apr 2020 13:51

Westwood52 Yeah I know I miss the bleeding obvious but those staffing levels look ridiculously high.Aside from match day staffing.Sixty odd players ? I suppose a lot of that number are “students”;amongst which historically golden nuggets have been few and far between.Coaching and admin staffing levels are also very high. ?

Those beans won't count themselves

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Apr 2020 15:25

Westwood52 Yeah I know I miss the bleeding obvious but those staffing levels look ridiculously high.Aside from match day staffing.Sixty odd players ? I suppose a lot of that number are “students”;amongst which historically golden nuggets have been few and far between.Coaching and admin staffing levels are also very high. ?

We run a men’s side, a women’s side, Academies, school’s of excellence and a Community trust that is a lot of coaches, many of whom won’t be full time. When you say the staffing levels are ‘high’, what is your benchmark ? Do you know what staffing levels are like at comparable clubs or is it just a wild guess ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Apr 2020 15:26

Jagermesiter1871 Aren't our owners richer?

Do they take a salary , bonuses or a dividend out of the club ?

One87One

by One87One » 15 Apr 2020 16:24

Bowen is "one of a number of senior non-playing staff" who have offered to defer a substantial percentage of their wages to help the clubs current cash flow issues.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 Apr 2020 17:29

Nameless

We run a men’s side, a women’s side, Academies, school’s of excellence and a Community trust that is a lot of coaches, many of whom won’t be full time. When you say the staffing levels are ‘high’, what is your benchmark ? Do you know what staffing levels are like at comparable clubs or is it just a wild guess ?

Just did a headcount 46 squad members;albeit a lot are out on loan contracts.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 Apr 2020 17:32

Westwood52
Nameless

Just did a headcount 46 squad members;albeit a lot are out on loan contracts.

Eight on loan.

Needle

by Needle » 16 Apr 2020 00:09

One87One Bowen is "one of a number of senior non-playing staff" who have offered to defer a substantial percentage of their wages to help the clubs current cash flow issues.

What an absolute shower of pcunts. Led from the top.

Only in the fcuked up world of football finance does a deferral do anything to help

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2020 03:04

Spent 5 mins watching SSN tonight

Football is genuinely screwed if that was anything to go on. Talk of clubs going under, 1000 players out of contract etc

Unless they come up with some huge support package it’s going to be pretty devastating

One87One

by One87One » 16 Apr 2020 08:25

One87One Bowen is "one of a number of senior non-playing staff" who have offered to defer a substantial percentage of their wages to help the clubs current cash flow issues.

Players also in discussions to defer some wages to help.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2020 10:34

Hound Spent 5 mins watching SSN tonight

Football is genuinely screwed if that was anything to go on. Talk of clubs going under, 1000 players out of contract etc

Unless they come up with some huge support package it’s going to be pretty devastating

I just can't find myself caring.

There'll still be demand to watch and go to football. 99% of clubs that go under will see a Phoenix side emerge. 1000 of players without clubs will be available to be picked up by the newly formed clubs.

Yeah, there would probably be a crash in TV revenue, but that just means new clubs would have to start from scratch in a sustainable way and players would need to lower their pay expectations.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 16 Apr 2020 15:23

Snowflake Royal

There'll still be demand to watch and go to football. 99% of clubs that go under will see a Phoenix side emerge. 1000 of players without clubs will be available to be picked up by the newly formed clubs.

Yeah, there would probably be a crash in TV revenue, but that just means new clubs would have to start from scratch in a sustainable way and players would need to lower their pay expectations.

Agreed to a certain extent.Championship football will re-emerge,in some shape or another;we might be a bit vulnerable as the Chinese face a backlash when this is all over,and it maybe doubtful if another owner with such deep pockets can be found.If football does not restart by at June at the latest;then this season is over.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Apr 2020 16:06

Snowflake Royal

Its strange but I have found myself caring less and less about football during all this as well....Do you think though we will see a lot of clubs goto the wall? Im not so sure. HMRC may defer bills and help them....
I hope your right about the crash in TV revenue though.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 Apr 2020 11:03

If a load of clubs do go under, and taking into account the likely impact on TV (and other) revenue streams (after all, if we have 3 Million unemployed, football season tickets may not be a high priority to many), then I would suggest that this would be the perfect time to do a reorganisation of professional football in England.

They should be looking at fewer professional teams, and regional leagues feeding into the smaller professional league system, in effect, moving towards a greater extension of the non-League pyramid system.

The discussion earlier in the crisis that players in the EFL should be paid a maximum of £6,000 a week - which sounded reasonable - still means that a full back for AFC Wimbledon would still earn approxiamately twice as much as the Prime Minister (regardless of the individual in that role).

I would suggest that such a business model (which was unsustainable before the Covid-19 crisis) is now utterly doomed; the situation had been artficially created by the obscence amounts of money coming into the Premier League from TV deals that club owners in EFL clubs want to get their hands on, and many - like Reading - have over extended themselves financially by over-paying wages to (generally) mediocre players - believing that they would recoup the outlay and more by achieving promotion to "the promised land" of the Premier League.

The reality is, that for many people, and indeed the Country, there is no "going back to normal" after this crisis - why should Professional football think itself so special that things will go back to as it was for them?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2020 11:59

Westwood52
Snowflake Royal

Agreed to a certain extent.Championship football will re-emerge,in some shape or another;we might be a bit vulnerable as the Chinese face a backlash when this is all over,and it maybe doubtful if another owner with such deep pockets can be found.If football does not restart by at June at the latest;then this season is over.

I've no massive sympathy for football clubs on the whole. But its not as simple as '99% of clubs that go under will see a Phoenix side emerge'. That they may do, but thats still robbing n towns of a decent football club for a number of years - and all the related activity with it. I wouldn't exactly be delighted if Reading went under and started as a semi pro in tier 10 or whatever. It'd have a big knock on to quite a lot of grassroots and youth footy in the area.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2020 12:30

Hound
Westwood52
Snowflake Royal I just can't find myself caring.

I've no massive sympathy for football clubs on the whole. But its not as simple as '99% of clubs that go under will see a Phoenix side emerge'. That they may do, but thats still robbing n towns of a decent football club for a number of years - and all the related activity with it. I wouldn't exactly be delighted if Reading went under and started as a semi pro in tier 10 or whatever. It'd have a big knock on to quite a lot of grassroots and youth footy in the area.

If the league collapses and dozens or scores of clubs go under it won't be about restarting in tier 10.

The whole thin will need restructuring and restarting or you'll have Phoenix Newcastle in tier 10 with 30,000 crowds and Slough Town in League One with 1500

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2020 13:34

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Westwood52

If the league collapses and dozens or scores of clubs go under it won't be about restarting in tier 10.

The whole thin will need restructuring and restarting or you'll have Phoenix Newcastle in tier 10 with 30,000 crowds and Slough Town in League One with 1500

Newcastle aren't going under though I doubt. Lots of div1 and 2 clubs will though with no more than 4-5k attendances which would drop significantly

390 posts