What got you into supporting RFC?! And when you did who was your nearest team?

grey_squirrel

Re: What got you into supporting RFC?! And when you did who was your nearest team?

by grey_squirrel » 09 Apr 2020 13:22

For me no prior connection to the club whatsoever, only locality and the principle of "support your local team" which I have done since my first game aged 6, Fred May's testimonial on 2 October 1974, which I still remember vividly - the smells (bovril, cigars, liniment), the floodlights, the noise/language (even for a testimonial).

Some favourite games I can be bothered to recall (other than the obvious ones that are always repeated)

7-0 Barnsley. Sat right in front of Michael Parkinson
4-0 Grimsby. John Alexander with all 4.
3-3 Newcastle. Cup game
3-1 Luton. First Madstad
All and every away game. Always by far more enjoyable, even in defeat/embarrassment. (even a 3-0 defeat at Wigan's old ground on a freezing cold Tuesday December night in the 4th tier!).
Most 1970's Reserve (Football Combination) games, only to see some of the 'stars' of the day and get their autographs!

Season ticket holder off and on over the decades, mostly on, and seen Reading at most away grounds, but haven't attended a game since 2015 as my 'love' for the game in general has totally evaporated to such an extent - too plastic, money, wages, owners, transfer fees, diving, VAR, no player pride or loyalty, no continuity etc etc - I don't even watch it on the tele or read the back pages

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What got you into supporting RFC?! And when you did who was your nearest team?

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 09 Apr 2020 17:17

grey_squirrel For me no prior connection to the club whatsoever, only locality and the principle of "support your local team" which I have done since my first game aged 6, Fred May's testimonial on 2 October 1974, which I still remember vividly - the smells (bovril, cigars, liniment), the floodlights, the noise/language (even for a testimonial).

Some favourite games I can be bothered to recall (other than the obvious ones that are always repeated)

7-0 Barnsley. Sat right in front of Michael Parkinson
4-0 Grimsby. John Alexander with all 4.
3-3 Newcastle. Cup game
3-1 Luton. First Madstad
All and every away game. Always by far more enjoyable, even in defeat/embarrassment. (even a 3-0 defeat at Wigan's old ground on a freezing cold Tuesday December night in the 4th tier!).
Most 1970's Reserve (Football Combination) games, only to see some of the 'stars' of the day and get their autographs!

Season ticket holder off and on over the decades, mostly on, and seen Reading at most away grounds, but haven't attended a game since 2015 as my 'love' for the game in general has totally evaporated to such an extent - too plastic, money, wages, owners, transfer fees, diving, VAR, no player pride or loyalty, no continuity etc etc - I don't even watch it on the tele or read the back pages

Completely with you on this, Squizzle - Barnsley 7-0 was on my birthday, I think, 29 December, and the combination games were great except I missed the first game at the Mad House - and if you love away days you really should give it a whizz again.... absolutely love them, far more than having to resort to insipid beer in the hotel and a general feeling of: "This is RFC and we really shouldn't be playing in a stadium like this" every time I take my random seat in the bowl.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Apr 2020 20:06

Was it family connections? No

Location? Yes -

I moved to Bracknell in 1995, the company I worked for occasionally got Reading hospitality tickets given to them but usually people higher up in the company took them. Then one day a pair filtered down to us in the warehouse so my first Reading game was in hospitality at Elm Park sometime in the 1996/97 season. It made an impression as I still remember walking to and from Reading West station, standing downstairs drinking lager and viewing a game from behind glass. No idea who we played though!

I then moved jobs and worked for an American company based in the Forbury in Reading. Some of the Americans want to see a soccer game so we went to an evening game at the newly opened Madejski in 1998/99 - again I remember getting the bus out to the game and even where we sat but no Idea who we played!

Lifelong thing? No

Do you still support and follow them? Yes

I moved to Aldershot so only started to go to Reading games more regularly once my eldest son got into watching decent (i.e. not Aldershot) football (he is 18 on Sunday and prefers Farnborough to Aldershot).

All three of my boys now support Reading and we attend the majority of weekend home games. We starting off in the ED, then moved to Y26 before shifting across to Club 1871 this season. We've also been to a number of away games, several U23 matches in Woking and one Wembley final.

A memorable game? We have a number of fairly recent memories of attending Reading games - the day they got Bill Oddie to the Madejski because of that song (it was before a Cardiff game), the foggy game that was abandoned at half-time, Kermorgant's penalty against Fulham, the car crash match that was Stevenage away in the FA Cup (and the return game with the kit clash and Bodvarsson hat trick), leaving Carrow Road last season after the 2-2 draw.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 10 Apr 2020 13:48

Got into football in 1995, firstly the Premiership and then started following the local teams, partly I think after discovering someone at school was a Reading fan. Have wondered at times whether he goes to games (presume he did at the time), or posts on here. This was during the playoff season. Then moved to Kent in the summer and whilst I still followed Reading it wasn't the same, especially with that 95 team gradually being broken up and being replaced by players that I assumed were weaker. Then I discovered HNA? and Championship Manager, both 1998 I think, and that made a massive difference. Before that there wasn't much coverage for a struggling Division 1 side outside of the area. Started wanting to go in 2000 when first got positive vibes about the direction the club was going in and eventually went to my first game in 2002, a 3-0 win against Burnley, late August midweek, having got my dad into it.

So never went to Elm Park, sometimes wonder if I may have gone to a game with my mate at school, and have thought about visiting the area to what it looks like now.

Not been to a game since 2017, but had been planning to go to a game in the last couple of months of this season.. Tbh, i'm possibly more likely to go and watch my local non-league team now when football resumes, and even that feels a long way off.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 10 Apr 2020 16:32

Family connection - sort of, my parents used to cycle from Wargrave to Elm Park before I was born but thy neither encouraged nor discouraged me. When I was 14 I was allowed into Reading without parental supervision so a couple of mates and I started going to football.

First game - Can't remember, first memorable game v Villa in Oct 70. Recall Andy Lochead scoring a hat trick an Villa "taking" the Southbank in no uncertain terms.

Memorable games - most of the usual suspects including "that goal". Memorable missed game - first game at the Madstad v Luton coincided with my dear little brother getting married.

From about 76 onwards became involved with local football, playing/managing/secretarying/kit washing and orange buying son only managed early/late season Saturday games and evening matches for this period.

When my involvement with local football ended I bought a season ticket from a portakabin on the site of the Madstad.

Became an avid fan rarely missing a game home and away for a few seasons with a crowd of HNA? names from the past - Mr A, 2-0, Skyline, Tozy Dart, Mad Max to name a few.

Lifelong thing - hit 50 years this year so I'd say so.

Still go to probably 75% of home games, rarely travel away now (marriage put paid to that) but have definitely fallen out of love with football generally over the past 2 or 3 years. Its as much of a social thing these days, quite happy to watch down the pub or at home on Sky on a miserable November Tuesday night if no mates are going.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 11 Apr 2020 17:02

Like a few on here I'm a 'Mansell baby'. Before 1970 I was interested in football rather than Reading who were a bit of a joke in the 60s. Some great games in 1970 - Orient 3-2, Barrow 6-3, Halifax 4-1, Southport 8-0 and that tragic Luton game Fred Sharp's Nose mentioned. Even then people were saying Sharp should have brought Macdonald down!

Local boy within walking distance of Elm Park.

Greatest games - West Ham 6-0, Liverpool 3-1, Plymouth 4-3, Wolves 4-2 and 2-1, Derby 5-0, Southampton 3-1, Wigan 2-1 (for the last 5 mins - PO SF). Fulham 1-0 PO SF for the LOLS.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 Apr 2020 17:21

ayjaydee Memorable missed game - first game at the Madstad v Luton coincided with my dear little brother getting married.

For me, there are two. Derby title clinching game in 2006, wanted to go but couldn't get tickets. Had a feeling after the Watford game the previous month that we might win promotion that day, so thought it could be significant too. Then Forest in 2012, the match wasn't televised and was going to the Palace game the following Saturday so it was a strange feeling as I was hoping it would be done then. After the Palace game considered going to the hotel bar to watch the Southampton match following a suggestion from a friend, but was so disappointed feeling that the title had gone I didn't bother...

Still not seen us win promotion/title either on TV or in the flesh. I've seen all the play-off finals (except 2001) and also went to the Brum game in 2009. I'm cursed!

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 12 Apr 2020 18:35

The reason I got into supporting us was because I watched the play-off final at Wembley against Bolton on TV. My parents say I would re-enact every little move in the back garden. Unfortunately, I missed out watching the greats of the early 90s (Quinn, Taylor, McPherson etc). But for me they were amazing. I'm watching a match from 94/95 against Wolves and I wish I had had the chance to watch those lot live. I probably watched that on the box, mind you.
There's a faint memory I have of watching a Baggies game at Elm Park at Christmas. But the real first memory is the final game at Elm Park, I was stood opposite the West Stand and it felt like the pitch was a mile away from me. I was sat on a handrail because I was very small-
I also remember the aftermath of Bullivant's last match. When was that btw?
I loved Elm Park, great little ground.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 12 Apr 2020 20:49

West Stand?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Apr 2020 23:48

fred sharpes nose This is a great thread - does it tell us something about the fans (on here at least)? This seems to be (no disrespect intended) an "older person" conversation. And sadly a recurring theme (of a number of posts) is a gradual drifting away, though still a supporter...... are we like the Conservative Party full of oldies slowly popping off ?

The future of any club lies in its youth - players and supporters. Is the demographic of our fan base a cause for future concern. I wonder what the age profile of the fans who have stayed away is - predominantly older or younger ? We have lost what 1/3 of our support in recent years ?

Questions and no answers - maybe all irrelevant but hey ho

Is a very different experience now. There's not the same atmosphere in the grounds as in days gone by. Now people arrive in their seats with a few minutes to kick off and leave before the second half injury board is shown. Recall games when getting your position on the terrace at least an hour before kick off was essential. Then you were so wedged in that trying leave early was totally pointless.

I'm concerned that football is heading the way of F1. The raw emotion and thrill is being ripped out of the game. With ownership of clubs in the hands of overseas billionaires who have no actual interest in the club's role in the community. Just the prize of premiership football at any cost.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 13 Apr 2020 01:49

LUX West Stand?

The stand where you could sit, don’t know what it’s called, sorry

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 Apr 2020 07:41

We used to just call them “the seats”.

I guess it was the North Stand, as it was opposite the South Bank.

“ Norfolk Road stand”?

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 13 Apr 2020 10:58

LUX We used to just call them “the seats”.

“ Norfolk Road stand”?

Yes, I believe it was the Norfolk road stand, thank you LUX. Could you remind me when the protests against Bullivant were? Was in something like ‘97? Or later?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Apr 2020 11:01

Franconian Royal

“ Norfolk Road stand”?

Yes, I believe it was the Norfolk road stand, thank you LUX. Could you remind me when the protests against Bullivant were? Was in something like ‘97? Or later?

Slightly later. It was 98.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 13 Apr 2020 12:46

“ Norfolk Road stand”?

My abiding memory of the Norfolk Road stand was the view from the Southbank of a sea of green and red from the Uri Geller experiment that went spectacularly tits up.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Apr 2020 14:08

Was it family connections?
- Kinda

Location?
- Spread Eagle pub

A memorable game?
- Watched pen shootout in Simod Cup run from our top room. Most memorable game is still Wimbledon at home on Boxing Day. Went on my own, lashing with rain, not sure I've ever been so miserable at footy

Lifelong thing?
- No went the Spurs route in my teens (another family connection), but went back to Reading at uni as I was too skint and didn't have the time for a Prem team

Do you still support and follow them?
- Yes. And only them. Spurs can fukk off, my following of spurs lasted right up until we got to the prem and played them

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Apr 2020 17:55

One87One
The Royal Forester
LUX great thread, well played DD.

Born in Reading (Coningham Road, Whitely Wood, probably no-one on here was born closer to the Mad stad.). Lived a long time in Tilehurst, so could walk to EP.

Dad took me to EP in 1969, aged 8, v Port Vale or Mansfield (I think I saw both that season).

Have followed them passionately since, but left Reading in 1979.

Been to most major events (Wembley 5 times, the only win being the Simod Cup :roll: ), Leicester away etc. Been to more away games than home ones over the past 30 years, due to having family up in the North.

Definitely less interest in football in general these days, but my mood is 100% dictated by how we get on, and always will.

Best season 1975-76, followed by the 106 one.

Sorry, but I can take being born (I was born at home, during WW 2) the nearest to the Mad. Stad. away from you. According to Google Maps, my former house in Greenfields Road is .4 of a mile closer. Pity, we played at Elm Park (and I lived in Windsor) when I started watching RFC. See my previous post about it all came about. Who knows if I would have got the Biscuiment/Royals bug years earlier, if the Mad Stad was our home before I left Reading.

Lived in Greenfields myself, 1998-2001.

Not the same era, but lived in Greenfields from 1968-70

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 14 Apr 2020 13:54

Who? My Dad. I'm 5th generation Reading fan in my family, my great great grandad went to watch Reading in the first season in the Football League South in 1920, which we think was the earliest he went to a game. My Dad's family is originally from Tilehurst and Caversham, but I was born in Sussex, whilst my parents were living there, before moving up to the Midlands with Dad's work in 1987, when I was 4.

First game? My Dad and Grandpa took me to my first game at the age of 7 to Reading v Leyton Orient at Elm Park in October 1990 (a 1-2 defeat). I was mascot that day, and remember taking shots against keeper Phil Burns in front of the Tilehurst End in the warm up. Martin Hicks was the captain, and pre-match I refused to shake hands with the Leyton Orient captain before the coin toss! Dad managed to get hold of a copy of the video of the game from the camera man so I still have a record of that day which is nice. Sadly that was my Grandpa's last Reading game as he lost his battle with prostate cancer the following summer, so there was something of a "passing the baton" from that game.

Living near Telford, and following the loss of Grandpa we didn't go to many games for the next few years. I went to secondary school in Wolverhampton, but I know we went to a 2-1 home game with Charlton towards the end of 94-95 and the play off final. Lots of local Midlands matches followed with the occasional trip down to the Elm Park, always on the South Bank, just left of halfway, towards the Tilehurst End. One game I asked to sit in the seats, so Dad got tickets in the Norfolk Road for an FA Cup tie with Gillingham - we won 3-0 but I straightway demanded to go back in to the South Bank to go back to jostling for a view again!

As I got older, we started to go to more games, and began to travel round the country more. Every home game was (still is!) a 220 mile round trip. When I went to uni (in Brum) and had a relatively loose timetable I barely missed a game, home or away, thanks to Dad picking me up on the way to a game, and found a few Reading supporting fellow students. We were lucky to have the free time and relatively little financial commitment of being able to go to all the games just as Reading peaked in 05-08. Dad and I had STs in the East Stand, behind the wall near the away fans since the 2000s.

Memorable games?
3-3 v Forest at Elm Park in 98 with Jamie Lambert's wonder goal
3-2 cup win at Elland Road in 97(?) against the mighty Leeds (one of my first big cup upsets I'd been to)
4-2 v Wolves at Elm Park
2-1 cup win at Anfield
5-0 "what a waste of petrol" v Oldham during the fuel crisis
The usual collection of play off matches, Brentford (2002), Leicester (2006), Boro (2006), Southampton (2012), Forest (2012)

Still supporting?
Yes, I've although always loved competitive sport and after being relegated from the Prem for the second time really scaled back on going to Reading matches on Saturdays in order to play hockey for my local club in Brum and now hockey takes priority on a Saturday, leading to me mainly going to evening games. I still try and get to the odd game here or there, restricted even more so in the last few years since my son was born, I'll probably take him to a game in a few years once he's old enough to appreciate it. Managed to get down for the Sheff Utd cup game, and a first appearance in Club 1871 which was fun.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Apr 2020 14:28

Should have supported Swansea, as nearest team to where family are from and I was born, moved to Berkshire when I was 4, used to get dragged to watch Arsenal by grandparent, I managed to get him to take me to Reading in early 70's when Arsenal were away and Reading at home, managed to escape and go with mates from School to Elm Park in the late 70s in my mid early teens and always went when I could.
Since then been my club, cant stand Arsenal, still have family members that go and Ive still been on the odd occaission and hate it.
Their fans are rubbish, your miles from the pitch and their box office rob you blind. In fact I would say even with all our short comings as a club, we have one of the best stadiums for football in the country, and a current owner who has been very generous to us, and doesn't take the p*ss like other clubs...….I just hope he has the patience to stay and sort the finances out.

Cant remember what my first game was......might have been Watford...a draw but a few goals.