Best Reading FC performances in your lifetime

Garry Baldy

Re: Best Reading FC performances in your lifetime

by Garry Baldy » 20 Apr 2020 20:56

Agree with everything already mentioned but what about something a little more obscure ?

Does anybody remember Wolves away August 1994 ? Our first game back in the second tier and we were brilliant but somehow contrived to lose 1-0. In spite of the scoreline, Reading fans were singing "What's it like to be outplayed".

I remember thinking at the time that we were looking at something pretty special. Didn't realise how special !

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Apr 2020 01:32

SCIAG Two which haven’t been mentioned:

Reading 5-1 Ipswich under Steve Clarke

Completely dominant performance thanks largely to the midfield trio of Norwood, Tshibola and Stephen Quinn. Three players who were hard working and technically gifted so just swamped the opposition both in and out of possession. Also think this was one of Anton Ferdinand’s only games for us - possibly the best defender we’ve had but also the most injury prone.

Defensively, another West Ham game comes to mind - 1-0 in the Premier League under McDermott. I think Pog scored an early goal and we promptly switched to keeping nine men behind the ball for the next hour. Pearce and Mariappa spent the whole match getting kicked by West Ham’s thugs. Then McDermott pulled off one of our midfielders and stuck on Noel Hunt, which made it even more nervy! But we made it through. Karacan was immense.

It’s a shame we didn’t get to see more of that midfield trio, very talented and worked well with each other but Quinn couldn’t stay off the injury table. Meant we had to put up with Williams each week, who, not for the want of trying, struggled with the technical side of the game unlike the three aforementioned. Those three, along with Vydra, Sa and an inform Blackman, and a fit Ferdinand had the makings of a very good team

As a side point, surprised that the 7-1 Bolton win hasn’t been mentioned yet

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2020 08:34

Zip
South Coast Royal
Dr_Hfuhruhurr How on Earth did that turn into an insult at Gunter? And Why?

We scored 4 away from home so he must have been responsible for some of the defending-I don't remember but he probably did his usual and stood watching with his hand in the air while we took them to pieces.
If you still went to a few games you might understand why he doesn't get chosen any more and why a new right-back was signed to play ahead of him (the decision by professionals, not me or I suppose you know better than the professionals).
O.K.?

Shakes head and walks away.

Lets break it down.

Goal number 1 - Ian Harte free-kick, hard to see how this would be CG fault, unless he gave the free-kick away* but players give free-kicks away all the time and Harte had no business putting the ball in the net the way he did anyway, great goal.

Goal number 2 - Jem Karacan scores a header from the edge of the box from a corner. Gunter seems to be marking his man, as you would think he would be.

Goal number 3 - Kebe scores from close range. Lee Kamp decides to push away a tame shot from Zurab straight to an unmarked Kebe. The marking is poor and it could be Gunter who is meant to be picking him up, but maybe-Gunter is on the goal line so was in position to possibly make a clearance.

Goal number 4 - Church scores from close range. Ball played down Reading's right crossed in for Church to bundle in. Goal did not involve a Chris Gunter.

*highlights do not show the foul

So before making incorrect sweeping statements that support your own negative view on someone, maybe take the time to refresh your memory, especially as you said you cannot remember!

Yes, Yiadom was signed to play ahead of Gunter and he has done pretty well, on the whole, but he has had some shocking games for us - Swansea away springs to mind straight away - did you go to the games earlier in the season where Gunter played while Yiadom was injured? He played consistently well, or did you forget about that as well?

Forest 3 - 4 Reading highlights, for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kls4AqEOciQ

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 21 Apr 2020 08:49

South Coast Royal
We scored 4 away from home so he must have been responsible for some of the defending-I don't remember but he probably did his usual and stood watching with his hand in the air while we took them to pieces.
If you still went to a few games you might understand why he doesn't get chosen any more and why a new right-back was signed to play ahead of him (the decision by professionals, not me or I suppose you know better than the professionals).
O.K.?

Yet another horrible post - theyve become your speciality recently.
My opinion is irrelevant here; the problem is that you saw a nostalgia post rgarding a 2011 game to insult Gunter.
Its just grim. Sure, be unlikeable - but dont be surprised if you end up unliked.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Apr 2020 09:08

Hendo
Zip
South Coast Royal
O.K.?

Lets break it down.

Goal number 1 - Ian Harte free-kick, hard to see how this would be CG fault, unless he gave the free-kick away* but players give free-kicks away all the time and Harte had no business putting the ball in the net the way he did anyway, great goal.

Goal number 2 - Jem Karacan scores a header from the edge of the box from a corner. Gunter seems to be marking his man, as you would think he would be.

Goal number 3 - Kebe scores from close range. Lee Kamp decides to push away a tame shot from Zurab straight to an unmarked Kebe. The marking is poor and it could be Gunter who is meant to be picking him up, but maybe-Gunter is on the goal line so was in position to possibly make a clearance.

Goal number 4 - Church scores from close range. Ball played down Reading's right crossed in for Church to bundle in. Goal did not involve a Chris Gunter.

So before making incorrect sweeping statements that support your own negative view on someone, maybe take the time to refresh your memory, especially as you said you cannot remember!

Yes, Yiadom was signed to play ahead of Gunter and he has done pretty well, on the whole, but he has had some shocking games for us - Swansea away springs to mind straight away - did you go to the games earlier in the season where Gunter played while Yiadom was injured? He played consistently well, or did you forget about that as well?

Forest 3 - 4 Reading highlights, for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kls4AqEOciQ

I don’t think Yiadom would have come straight back into the side after his injury earlier this year if Gunter had remained fit either. He was playing well. Gunter has his faults but he is a perfectly decent right back at this level

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2020 09:27

Zip
Hendo
Zip

Lets break it down.

I don’t think Yiadom would have come straight back into the side after his injury earlier this year if Gunter had remained fit either. He was playing well. Gunter has his faults but he is a perfectly decent right back at this level

+1 to that.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Apr 2020 10:25

URZZZZ

Completely dominant performance thanks largely to the midfield trio of Norwood, Tshibola and Stephen Quinn. Three players who were hard working and technically gifted so just swamped the opposition both in and out of possession. Also think this was one of Anton Ferdinand’s only games for us - possibly the best defender we’ve had but also the most injury prone.

Defensively, another West Ham game comes to mind - 1-0 in the Premier League under McDermott. I think Pog scored an early goal and we promptly switched to keeping nine men behind the ball for the next hour. Pearce and Mariappa spent the whole match getting kicked by West Ham’s thugs. Then McDermott pulled off one of our midfielders and stuck on Noel Hunt, which made it even more nervy! But we made it through. Karacan was immense.

It’s a shame we didn’t get to see more of that midfield trio, very talented and worked well with each other but Quinn couldn’t stay off the injury table. Meant we had to put up with Williams each week, who, not for the want of trying, struggled with the technical side of the game unlike the three aforementioned. Those three, along with Vydra, Sa and an inform Blackman, and a fit Ferdinand had the makings of a very good team

In defence of Williams, I think he scored the only goal in our home win over Middlesbrough when he played ahead of Tish. That was another very good team performance. But with injuries to Quinn and Tish at the same time, we just couldn’t keep going. Neither Piazon nor Alex was a good fit for that sort of role.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 10:42

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
South Coast Royal
O.K.?

Yet another horrible post - theyve become your speciality recently.
My opinion is irrelevant here; the problem is that you saw a nostalgia post rgarding a 2011 game to insult Gunter.
Its just grim. Sure, be unlikeable - but dont be surprised if you end up unliked.

Still no apology on the other thread eh?
Humility really is not one of your traits.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 10:44

Zip
Hendo
Zip

Lets break it down.

Nail on the head there Zip "at this level".
He was bought as a Premier League level player but IMHO has never performed like one.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 10:50

Garry Baldy Agree with everything already mentioned but what about something a little more obscure ?

Does anybody remember Wolves away August 1994 ? Our first game back in the second tier and we were brilliant but somehow contrived to lose 1-0. In spite of the scoreline, Reading fans were singing "What's it like to be outplayed".

I remember thinking at the time that we were looking at something pretty special. Didn't realise how special !

Spot on.
IIRC Keane was playing for them that day.
We created a lot of chances but just couldn't score.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 10:58

Hendo
Zip
South Coast Royal
O.K.?

Lets break it down.

I must say that you went to a lot of trouble but I suppose that you must be bored rather than just your usual boring.
The thrust of my post was about Wes Morgan-you have made no comment about how he played -and the point about Gunter was a throwaway remark.
This is a forum for comment generally of a casual nature but you have come about it as if it were a court of law.

With your fantastic memory of the day (which you suggest is so much better than mine) how did the Welsh Wizard play, how much was your ticket and what number seat did you sit in?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2020 11:29

South Coast Royal
Hendo
Zip

Lets break it down.

I must say that you went to a lot of trouble but I suppose that you must be bored rather than just your usual boring.
The thrust of my post was about Wes Morgan-you have made no comment about how he played -and the point about Gunter was a throwaway remark.
This is a forum for comment generally of a casual nature but you have come about it as if it were a court of law.

With your fantastic memory of the day (which you suggest is so much better than mine) how did the Welsh Wizard play, how much was your ticket and what number seat did you sit in?

:|

I'd rather be boring than someone who can't look past his own hatred of a player when that player isn't even being discussed by anyone, why even bring up Gunter on this thread? There was no real need. You didn't really need to include your last sentence as it was clearly a worded dig at Gunter.

I don't really care how Wes Morgan played, he isn't our player and I don't feel like I have to defend him from unnecessary comments. It might've been a throwaway remark, but it is a mark which wasn't really needed and, as it turns out, inaccurate.

I don't need a fantastic memory of the day, it is all there in the YouTube clip I posted, which I found in all of about 15 seconds and did a quick 5 minute review of. I never said he was a Welsh Wizard, I just wanted to point out that he wasn't directly responsible for most of the 4 goals we scored that game.

I don't need to provide you with my ticket reference, but since you asked and since I have it to hand:

Price - £19 (student)
Stair - 12
Row - T
Seat - 112
Turnstile - 49 - 56
Block - X1

I can post a picture of it if you want?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 12:28

Hendo
South Coast Royal
Hendo
Lets break it down.

I'd rather be boring than someone who can't look past his own hatred of a player when that player isn't even being discussed by anyone, why even bring up Gunter on this thread? There was no real need. You didn't really need to include your last sentence as it was clearly a worded dig at Gunter.

I don't really care how Wes Morgan played, he isn't our player and I don't feel like I have to defend him from unnecessary comments. It might've been a throwaway remark, but it is a mark which wasn't really needed and, as it turns out, inaccurate.

I don't need a fantastic memory of the day, it is all there in the YouTube clip I posted, which I found in all of about 15 seconds and did a quick 5 minute review of. I never said he was a Welsh Wizard, I just wanted to point out that he wasn't directly responsible for most of the 4 goals we scored that game.

I don't need to provide you with my ticket reference, but since you asked and since I have it to hand:

Price - £19 (student)
Stair - 12
Row - T
Seat - 112
Turnstile - 49 - 56
Block - X1

Saddo.
I would hazard a guess that you are single and have no children but that is just a guess based on you boasting so often about the sporting events you have been to.
As I said before the comment about Gunter was a throwaway that you have decided to make such a big thing of-why?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2020 12:47

South Coast Royal
Hendo
South Coast Royal

Price - £19 (student)
Stair - 12
Row - T
Seat - 112
Turnstile - 49 - 56
Block - X1

Saddo.
I would hazard a guess that you are single and have no children but that is just a guess based on you boasting so often about the sporting events you have been to.
As I said before the comment about Gunter was a throwaway that you have decided to make such a big thing of-why?

LOL. Ok m8. Girlfriend with no children, for the record. I never really boast about sporting events I have been to, please tell me when I have done that and there are plenty which I would still like to go to. I am very fortunate to have a partner who understands that sport is my passion and she has no problem with me going to all these sporting events.

Not really making a big thing about it, you were the one who introduced Gunter into the conversation when you had no real prompt to do so, be it throwaway or not. But maybe I am just a boring saddo, but at least I am ok with that.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 12:49

Hendo
South Coast Royal
Hendo

Price - £19 (student)
Stair - 12
Row - T
Seat - 112
Turnstile - 49 - 56
Block - X1

Saddo.

LOL. Ok m8. Girlfriend with no children, for the record. I never really boast about sporting events I have been to, please tell me when I have done that and there are plenty which I would still like to go to. I am very fortunate to have a partner who understands that sport is my passion and she has no problem with me going to all these sporting events.

Not really making a big thing about it, you were the one who introduced Gunter into the conversation when you had no real prompt to do so, be it throwaway or not. But maybe I am just a boring saddo, but at least I am ok with that.

Jolly good.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 13:10

Hendo,
There's me demanding an apology elsewhere so I will apologise to you.
Not for anything I have posted about the full-back who has played his part in dragging us down from being a Premier League club to one that has been close to relegation to the 3rd level and in the meantime has been paid millions for doing so.

No, the apology is for accusing you of boasting, about the many overseas sports grounds that you have been to, when it is fact envy on my part so apologies.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Apr 2020 13:39

SCIAG
URZZZZ

In defence of Williams, I think he scored the only goal in our home win over Middlesbrough when he played ahead of Tish. That was another very good team performance. But with injuries to Quinn and Tish at the same time, we just couldn’t keep going. Neither Piazon nor Alex was a good fit for that sort of role.

Williams always played better against better teams where we had to stay compact, disciplined and his driving runs forward helped relieve pressure. I always found his worst games were against the so called worse teams where we had to break them down as he took the wrong option time and time again. I think the main problem with Williams was that Norwood didn’t work well with him and Norwood was simply a better player

Agreed with Piazon although he had some games where he more or less mirrored Quinn’s contributions (IIRC he had one superb game against Huddersfield away in the cup). His main problem was consistency, discipline and physicality

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 21 Apr 2020 15:17

I can't really recall many others that haven't already been mentioned, but without starting a "worst" equivalent thread this one still sticks in my memory and absolutely grates me to this today as being one of the worst in recent years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26300108

Totally clueless in breaking down a lamb there for the slaughter. Adkins was spot on his analysis that just hopelessly lumping the ball wasn't going to work, so where was the pitch side instructions or captaincy on the pitch to break them down?!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Apr 2020 19:11

grey_squirrel I can't really recall many others that haven't already been mentioned, but without starting a "worst" equivalent thread this one still sticks in my memory and absolutely grates me to this today as being one of the worst in recent years

Totally clueless in breaking down a lamb there for the slaughter. Adkins was spot on his analysis that just hopelessly lumping the ball wasn't going to work, so where was the pitch side instructions or captaincy on the pitch to break them down?!

weird reading that to see that Yeovil team had Luke Ayling, Joe Rolls, Shane Duffy, John Lundstram and Kieffer Moore in it. All decent players, 2 in the Prem (another was there last year) and one of this divisions best RBs

The rest must have been dire

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Apr 2020 19:48

Hound
grey_squirrel I can't really recall many others that haven't already been mentioned, but without starting a "worst" equivalent thread this one still sticks in my memory and absolutely grates me to this today as being one of the worst in recent years

weird reading that to see that Yeovil team had Luke Ayling, Joe Rolls, Shane Duffy, John Lundstram and Kieffer Moore in it. All decent players, 2 in the Prem (another was there last year) and one of this divisions best RBs

The rest must have been dire

Good spot Houndy. Hadn’t realised Yeovil had that quality in their side. Fortunately a game I didn’t attend.