Best Reading FC performances in your lifetime

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Best Reading FC performances in your lifetime

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2020 19:55

Hound
grey_squirrel I can't really recall many others that haven't already been mentioned, but without starting a "worst" equivalent thread this one still sticks in my memory and absolutely grates me to this today as being one of the worst in recent years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26300108

Totally clueless in breaking down a lamb there for the slaughter. Adkins was spot on his analysis that just hopelessly lumping the ball wasn't going to work, so where was the pitch side instructions or captaincy on the pitch to break them down?!

weird reading that to see that Yeovil team had Luke Ayling, Joe Rolls, Shane Duffy, John Lundstram and Kieffer Moore in it. All decent players, 2 in the Prem (another was there last year) and one of this divisions best RBs

The rest must have been dire

My memory of that day was that Yeovil were an incredibly tall side.
Seeing that Keiffer Moore played that is one giant-I wish he were our main striker.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Apr 2020 20:12

South Coast Royal
Hound
grey_squirrel I can't really recall many others that haven't already been mentioned, but without starting a "worst" equivalent thread this one still sticks in my memory and absolutely grates me to this today as being one of the worst in recent years

Totally clueless in breaking down a lamb there for the slaughter. Adkins was spot on his analysis that just hopelessly lumping the ball wasn't going to work, so where was the pitch side instructions or captaincy on the pitch to break them down?!

weird reading that to see that Yeovil team had Luke Ayling, Joe Rolls, Shane Duffy, John Lundstram and Kieffer Moore in it. All decent players, 2 in the Prem (another was there last year) and one of this divisions best RBs

Seeing that Keiffer Moore played that is one giant-I wish he were our main striker.

Moore doesn’t score many though. He has done well for Wales but barely scored for Wigan.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 21 Apr 2020 20:27

South Coast Royal
Hound

Yes they were tall! Exactly. Yet we just continued to lump so many balls after ball after ball into their box time and time again in the last 20 with the same inevitable outcome, I lost count. Sure there has been worse overall performances but to me the “tactics” and pig thick stupidity that day just beggared belief.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Apr 2020 16:55

Franconian Royal Favourite performance:

Against Wigan in the play or semi final, simply because of the fight we showed that evening to get back into the game. The scenes after the penalty. I’ll never forget them.
That's one of my favourite games ever, the game had everything - floodlights, comeback from behind, last minute winner, packed stadium, atmosphere, pitch invasion(s), police horses running onto the pitch, play stopped due to a balloon invasion (Murty was almost lost the ball due to a balloon deciding to land ahead of him).

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Apr 2020 17:07

Forbury Lion

Against Wigan in the play or semi final, simply because of the fight we showed that evening to get back into the game. The scenes after the penalty. I’ll never forget them.
That's one of my favourite games ever, the game had everything - floodlights, comeback from behind, last minute winner, packed stadium, atmosphere, pitch invasion(s), police horses running onto the pitch, play stopped due to a balloon invasion (Murty was almost lost the ball due to a balloon deciding to land ahead of him).

Was it when Steve Bruce was exploding on the touch line?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Apr 2020 20:25

and Roberto Martinez...(as good as manager as he was), was a dirty cheating feigning pcunt as a player.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 23 Apr 2020 01:01

A quick one:
Why didn’t Pardew play Caskey at Cardiff? Was it really because of the rumours beforehand that he’d been sleeping around a lot? I’ll never forget being in the gods at Cardiff, I was sh*te scared, never again!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Apr 2020 08:42

As a shout out to our women's' team as they are also part of Reading FC, anyone have any ideas on the best women's performance? I've not seen any full games :oops: but I've seen some great clips and glimpses.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Apr 2020 08:47

Forbury Lion

I really do understand why that would be a favourite game, but does it really class as one of the best performances ?
A bit like the last 20 minutes against Plymouth - as brilliant as that was, it doesn't make it one of our best performances.

[Reads quote again] - ah, favourite performances, so forget that last bit.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Apr 2020 09:40

Favourite game for me:

Archie v Wolves. Elm Park.

Nuff said.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 23 Apr 2020 10:57

Franchise FC
Forbury Lion

I really do understand why that would be a favourite game, but does it really class as one of the best performances ?
A bit like the last 20 minutes against Plymouth - as brilliant as that was, it doesn't make it one of our best performances.

[Reads quote again] - ah, favourite performances, so forget that last bit.

All is forgiven, but performance will never be forgotten

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 01 Aug 2022 21:03

South Coast Royal Following on from the best XI topic what about the best you have seen and perhaps limit to 2 per section:

Best Attacking:

Reading 8 Southport 0 in 1970 (bear in mind we had lost 6-2 in the corresponding away fixture)
Reading 6 West Ham 0- can't remember the year but it was against Pardew's team in the Premier League.

Best Defensive;

Southampton 0 Reading 0 -Sonko's night in the pouring rain.
West Ham 0 Reading 1 -Sonko again, v Pardew again

Best team performance:

Tranmere 1 Reading 3-we showed that we would be good enough for the Premier League
Reading 4 Luton 1-brilliant show in a dreadful season against a Premier League side that 3 weeks later beat Arsenal in the League Cup final.
I did think about the Bolton play-off final but it was only great in the first half.

Can someone please post that famous pic of Sonko beating about 7 Southampton players in the pouring rain?
Ta.

Jinx

by Jinx » 01 Aug 2022 21:07

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Aug 2022 21:35

Dr_Hfuhruhurr West Ham 2 Reading 4 - McDermott was NOT lucky, OK? (March 2012)
Plymouth 2 Reading 2 (March 2009)
Hull 1 Reading 1 - (March 2005) - Two draws away from home on days you felt we would get nothing. These were the golden years of Reading playing Away. Spoilt
Nottingham Forest 3 Reading 4 (April 2011) - They could have scored all evening and we still would have beaten them

I had that West Ham game in my head as well. Scored a legit 5th that was ruled out.
Ammers fans really did their best to make the atmosphere hostile. Huge crowd and a Royals team that really started gathering momentum.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 02 Aug 2022 07:44

That’s the boy. Much obliged, Jinx.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Aug 2022 08:57

STAR Liaison
South Coast Royal Following on from the best XI topic what about the best you have seen and perhaps limit to 2 per section:

Best Attacking:

Reading 8 Southport 0 in 1970 (bear in mind we had lost 6-2 in the corresponding away fixture)
Reading 6 West Ham 0- can't remember the year but it was against Pardew's team in the Premier League.

Best Defensive;

Southampton 0 Reading 0 -Sonko's night in the pouring rain.
West Ham 0 Reading 1 -Sonko again, v Pardew again

Best team performance:

Tranmere 1 Reading 3-we showed that we would be good enough for the Premier League
Reading 4 Luton 1-brilliant show in a dreadful season against a Premier League side that 3 weeks later beat Arsenal in the League Cup final.
I did think about the Bolton play-off final but it was only great in the first half.

Can someone please post that famous pic of Sonko beating about 7 Southampton players in the pouring rain?
Ta.

1st Jan 2007; and it was Curbishley who was the West Ham Manager that day.

There were so many amazing performances during the 2005/06 season, but 2 stand out; a 3-0 win at Ipswich in about November 2005 that put us top for the first time, and where the Ipswich fans clapped the team off at the end of the game, and then the 5-2 win away at Cardiff in the April after we had already got promoted, but kept on playing unbelievable football - again, clapped off at the end (and a lot of Cardiff fans after the game coming up and being genuinely impressed by our performance).

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Aug 2022 09:12

the answer is a Premiership match, and I guess the 6-0 v West Ham, or the 4-2 away win there would come top. Or 3-2 v Boro in our first ever match in that League. Maybe 2-2 away to Chelsea, 3-1 at home to Spurs?

But I still love 5-0 v Tranmere in 1976, against our nearest promotion rivals.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Aug 2022 09:13

LUX the answer is a Premiership match, and I guess the 6-0 v West Ham, or the 4-2 away win there would come top. Or 3-2 v Boro in our first ever match in that League. Maybe 2-2 away to Chelsea, 3-1 at home to Spurs?

0-2 at City of Manchester Stadium for me.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Aug 2022 09:14

my two brothers were at that game, I missed it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Aug 2022 09:18

LUX my two brothers were at that game, I missed it.

Even 0-6 wouldn't have flattered us that day. Absolutely dominated them.