Worst ever Reading FC X1

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Worst ever Reading FC X1

by Zip » 28 Apr 2020 14:02

Jerry St Clair Got to be looked at in the context of transfer fees. So:

Craig Maskell. Record signing who was ok, but nowhere near as good as he should have been. And replaced Deano "Dean" Horrix I think so was always onto a loser.

Carl Asaba. Record signing. Wasn't terrible but he was no Jimmy Quinn.

Lee Nogan. Controversial? Record signing (I think?). Had a glorious 4 months than nearly took us to The Prem including several of the most memorable goals in our history. But, apart from that four months, he was pretty bog average.

Lee Nogan :shock: We recouped most of our transfer fee when we sold him. Was he our record signing? According to wiki we paid £250k for him. Overall I thought he was a decent signing.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Apr 2020 14:26

Craig Maskell. Record signing who was ok, but nowhere near as good as he should have been. And replaced Deano "Dean" Horrix I think so was always onto a loser.

Lee Nogan. Controversial? Record signing (I think?). Had a glorious 4 months than nearly took us to The Prem including several of the most memorable goals in our history. But, apart from that four months, he was pretty bog average.

Assuming Nogan was indeed a record signing, he was one of the few who actually paid off. I’d put him in the same category as Lita or Seol, the impact and good memories make up for the inconsistency and high fee. Nowhere near a worst XI or worst signing.

Among our record signings since Seol, Halford and Fae didn’t play much and Fae was a big disruption but we got our money back for both; Mariappa was great; Ilori was an improvement on McShane but ultimately disappointing; Aluko was dreadful.

Was Jim McIntyre a record signing? If so then he challenges Asaba and Aluko for worst value.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Apr 2020 14:36

SCIAG

Assuming Nogan was indeed a record signing, he was one of the few who actually paid off. I’d put him in the same category as Lita or Seol, the impact and good memories make up for the inconsistency and high fee. Nowhere near a worst XI or worst signing.

Among our record signings since Seol, Halford and Fae didn’t play much and Fae was a big disruption but we got our money back for both; Mariappa was great; Ilori was an improvement on McShane but ultimately disappointing; Aluko was dreadful.

Was Jim McIntyre a record signing? If so then he challenges Asaba and Aluko for worst value.

Mariappa was average with some good games mixed in. Ilori and McShane were as bad as each other but at least McShane had injuries as an excuse whereas Ilori was sloppy with terrible concentration.

McIntyre was pretty decent when Pardew came in and changed his position.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Apr 2020 14:42

McIntyre was unlucky to not get a new contract. He did ok. We

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 Apr 2020 16:18

Zip Lee Nogan :shock: We recouped most of our transfer fee when we sold him. Was he our record signing? According to wiki we paid £250k for him. Overall I thought he was a decent signing.

I think our previous record signing was the aforementioned Craig Maskell also for £250k.

I'm being provocative. I loved Nogs and those two goals against Bolton, one at Elm Park and one at Wembley, are possibly my two favourte ever Reading goals. But after Wembley he scored about 15 goals in two seasons which is piss-poor for a record signing centre-forward. Admittedly he was in a poor team that got steadily worse.

Nevpay

by Nevpay » 28 Apr 2020 16:38

Worst 11 that I've seen play

GK: Jimmy Quinn :D
LB: Greg Halford
CB: Elroy Kromheer
CB: Marton Keown - was terrible in the few fleeting appearances he made
RB: Paul Bodin
LM: Mass Sarr - pretty sure i saw him play left mid for us
CM: Ray Houghthon
CM: Grant Brebner
RM: Michael Meaker
ST: Paul Brayson
ST: Bas Savage

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Apr 2020 17:41

Jerry St Clair
Zip Lee Nogan :shock: We recouped most of our transfer fee when we sold him. Was he our record signing? According to wiki we paid £250k for him. Overall I thought he was a decent signing.

I think our previous record signing was the aforementioned Craig Maskell also for £250k.

I'm being provocative. I loved Nogs and those two goals against Bolton, one at Elm Park and one at Wembley, are possibly my two favourte ever Reading goals. But after Wembley he scored about 15 goals in two seasons which is piss-poor for a record signing centre-forward. Admittedly he was in a poor team that got steadily worse.

I was a fan of Nogan and in having 2 little players up front we were ahead of our time .
Although they bought Nogan I think Jim and Mick panicked and brought in a player I never liked, Trevor Morley.

It meant a change of style from our successful passing game as we relied on long-ball and Morley diving to get free-kicks.
2 years later we had gone from so nearly reaching the Premier League to relegation , not just because of Morley but because of losing Super Simon Osborn et al.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Apr 2020 17:53

Jerry St Clair

Fair comment. I thought we had paid more for Steve Moran but it was only around £200,000.
Nogan was on fire and looked a top class striker for those few months and the goal at Wembley was of a player at the very top of his game.
I do think Vic has a point about the playing style and the loss of Simon Osborn was huge.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2020 19:19

Zip McIntyre was unlucky to not get a new contract. He did ok. We

iirc McIntyre was diabolical played upfront, but when he moved back a bit actually did quite well.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2020 19:22

South Coast Royal
Jerry St Clair

I was a fan of Nogan and in having 2 little players up front we were ahead of our time .
Although they bought Nogan I think Jim and Mick panicked and brought in a player I never liked, Trevor Morley.

It meant a change of style from our successful passing game as we relied on long-ball and Morley diving to get free-kicks.
2 years later we had gone from so nearly reaching the Premier League to relegation , not just because of Morley but because of losing Super Simon Osborn et al.

I think our change and deterioration was more about the declining quality of player we could afford and trying to adapt our style to cope. When Morley could actually get on the pitch regularly he scored a boatload, which is almost certainly the reason we stayed up as long as we did. 22 goals wasn't it? And we replaced him with Asaba, who again was served badly and a different type of player. He simply wasn't a get on the end of a cross and nod it in kind of guy.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Apr 2020 20:22

Never forget that Asaba scored the goal that got us promoted to the Premier League.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 30 Apr 2020 10:12

SCIAG Never forget that Asaba scored the goal that got us promoted to the Premier League.

Well, Kevin Doyle scored the goal for us in 2006 and Mikel Leigertwood scored the goal in 2012.

If Asaba scored a goal somewhere on those days that meant another team couldn’t catch us, then sorry, that does not qualify as scoring the goal that got us promoted.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Apr 2020 10:27

oldebiscuit
SCIAG Never forget that Asaba scored the goal that got us promoted to the Premier League.

Well, Kevin Doyle scored the goal for us in 2006 and Mikel Leigertwood scored the goal in 2012.

If Asaba scored a goal somewhere on those days that meant another team couldn’t catch us, then sorry, that does not qualify as scoring the goal that got us promoted.

Rather irrationally it really annoys me when it's quoted that the point at Leicester got us promoted. Not true as a defeat would still have seen us promoted given Leeds failure to beat Stoke at home and Watford losing at home to Millwall
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4819702.stm

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 30 Apr 2020 10:34

Snowflake Royal

iirc McIntyre was diabolical played upfront, but when he moved back a bit actually did quite well.

Small world, my next door neighbour in Woodley used to babysit Jim McIntyre when he was a “wee bairn” in Dumbarton.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2020 10:36

Franchise FC
oldebiscuit

Rather irrationally it really annoys me when it's quoted that the point at Leicester got us promoted. Not true as a defeat would still have seen us promoted given Leeds failure to beat Stoke at home and Watford losing at home to Millwall

Quite. Doyle’s goal didn’t make any difference - it was Asaba’s goal for Millwall that sealed our promotion.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 30 Apr 2020 10:43

Snowflake Royal

you wouldn't know that though would you, on account of not actually having ever attended a game back then, or lived in Reading.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 30 Apr 2020 11:38

Franchise FC
oldebiscuit

Fukcing Hell, I need my Psychiatrist!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Apr 2020 11:39

oldebiscuit
Franchise FC
oldebiscuit

Fukcing Hell, I need my Psychiatrist!

Sorry, what have I done ?
:oops:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Apr 2020 13:39

Jerry St Clair

In 1994 Craig Maskell and Steve Moran were the equal record signings at £250,000, therefore Lee was the third player to equal that.

Jim McIntyre cost £420,000 I believe which, at the time, put him the third most expensive player behind Darren Caskey and Carl Asaba. As I recall Jim was a really good player under Alan Pardew but disappointing under Tommy Burns.

Jim was last known to be manager at Dundee (sacked May 2019) while Lee was last heard of as assistant manager to Neil Aspin at Port Vale (left January 2019).

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 30 Apr 2020 14:22

SCIAG
Franchise FC
oldebiscuit

Quite. Doyle’s goal didn’t make any difference - it was Asaba’s goal for Millwall that sealed our promotion.

For a moment there you had me going.I remember standing next to this old dear on the West Bank at Elm Park.She hated Asaba with a vengeance.Didnt he and John Mackie have a fight in the tunnel when Asaba was with Sheffield Utd ? Now John Mackie was a player.Apparently he got more money on his fruit and veg stall than he did playing for us.