Ngel Howe on radio

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Ngel Howe on radio

by paddy20 » 27 Apr 2020 09:15

Howe was saying how big a mess we are in and the only answer was to sell players. But why no mention of penalties for FFP? Am I missing something? No-one seems to be mentioning this. I can understand that it may be waived for this season but over the last 3 seasons we were way over the 39m loss. So we could start next season (whenever that is) with a 9 pts deduction and a team of young inexperienced players.

The frustrating thing about all this was it was so predictable. We really have had idiots at our football club!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Ngel Howe on radio

by Forbury Lion » 27 Apr 2020 09:21

I can't see there being too many buying clubs out there, considering they're all suffering financially in this situation.

The clubs with money can probably get better players than we have to offer from better clubs who are also in financial trouble due to the current times.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Apr 2020 13:28

Would Howe speculating in public help the situation or would it be more likely to hinder it?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 27 Apr 2020 13:43

paddy20 Howe was saying how big a mess we are in and the only answer was to sell players. But why no mention of penalties for FFP? Am I missing something? No-one seems to be mentioning this. I can understand that it may be waived for this season but over the last 3 seasons we were way over the 39m loss. So we could start next season (whenever that is) with a 9 pts deduction and a team of young inexperienced players.

The frustrating thing about all this was it was so predictable. We really have had idiots at our football club!

This is worrying.I thought Howe was supposed to be a steady hand on the tiller ? I can accept Gourlay just about wrecked us;but was under the impression that Howe was dragging us back.The losses are clearly caused by players high wages,but gate receipts alone were never going to underpin these.Are the Owners going to pull the plug,because of Covid ?Its not as if season ticket holders are going to get their money back.Games (behind closed doors) on the red button and a drive on advertising needs to start,no later than June 1st.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 27 Apr 2020 13:57

who is out of contract in the summer? that should free up some wages, no?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 27 Apr 2020 14:57

paddy20 We really have had idiots at our football club!

TBF there's quite a few in the fan base too, paddy20.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Apr 2020 15:51

paddy20 Howe was saying how big a mess we are in and the only answer was to sell players. But why no mention of penalties for FFP? Am I missing something? No-one seems to be mentioning this. I can understand that it may be waived for this season but over the last 3 seasons we were way over the 39m loss. So we could start next season (whenever that is) with a 9 pts deduction and a team of young inexperienced players.

Reported losses do not equal FFP losses - we may well still come under the limit and who knows after this period FFP may well no-longer exist.

Either way, we're pretty screwed so hey ho. Doesn't really feel that important at the moment anyway - what will be, will be.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2020 16:10

Perhaps this season should simply be scrapped FFP wise and therefore not counted. It’d give relief to all clubs and save all sorts of arguments and debate on what should and shouldn’t be included and what thresholds should be allowed etc.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 27 Apr 2020 16:16

Sutekh Perhaps this season should simply be scrapped FFP wise and therefore not counted. It’d give relief to all clubs and save all sorts of arguments and debate on what should and shouldn’t be included and what thresholds should be allowed etc.

I have complete faith in the EFL to sort this out amicably

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Apr 2020 17:35

WoodleyRoyal who is out of contract in the summer? that should free up some wages, no?

Not nearly enough

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Apr 2020 17:42

Mr Dai must be punished for investing his money and trying to grow the club to compete.

Now if he was taking money out rather than investing that would be totally acceptable under FFP.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Apr 2020 18:02

sandman Mr Dai must be punished for investing his money and trying to grow the club to compete.

Now if he was taking money out rather than investing that would be totally acceptable under FFP.

Point taken but all this debt leaves us overly reliant on him. It’s unsustainable carrying on like this.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Apr 2020 18:28

Howe also disassociates from last summer’s late spending spree which we could ill afford. We will have to offload a number of big earners this summer.
Perhaps Bowen will now have to work with more academy boys going forward which was supposed to be Gomes remit.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Apr 2020 20:58

I thought Howe knew what he was doing? Do we just spend every summer with the expectation that we're going to get promoted and have sell out games every week?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Apr 2020 09:03

Stranded

Reported losses do not equal FFP losses - we may well still come under the limit and who knows after this period FFP may well no-longer exist.

Either way, we're pretty screwed so hey ho. Doesn't really feel that important at the moment anyway - what will be, will be.

Hi Stranded - please explain about the losses. Don't the accounts say we lost about £40m? Add to this the losses for the last two seasons as well how can we be below the 39m limit for 3 seasons? Hope you are right about the FFP. Agree though it doesn't seem to matter as much now

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Apr 2020 09:07

paddy20
Stranded

Hi Stranded - please explain about the losses. Don't the accounts say we lost about £40m? Add to this the losses for the last two seasons as well how can we be below the 39m limit for 3 seasons? Hope you are right about the FFP. Agree though it doesn't seem to matter as much now

I don't have the full list to hand but items such as building a new training ground can be taken off all losses as can you development. List can be quite long - for example Villa's last losses in the Champ were around 60m but their FFP losses fell inside the rolling average.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Apr 2020 09:16

is there a transcript of the interview anywhere?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 28 Apr 2020 12:07

paddy20
Stranded

Some losses (or costs) don't count for FFP purposes because they count as investment - e.g. in training grounds or women's football or youth development.

For instance, Reading Women FC had a turnover of £277k and admin exs of £1,479k, resulting in a loss of £1,202k in 2018-19 and a total liability of £3,337k (to the owner I guess) but this doesn't affect the FFP calculations. I hope.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2020 13:45

paddy20
Stranded

Find the write up Star did on the accounts which explains it all pretty clearly,
First thing is that you need to understand which company FFP applies to. It does not apply to Reading FC (IIRC).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Apr 2020 14:09

Nameless
paddy20
Stranded

Find the write up Star did on the accounts which explains it all pretty clearly,
First thing is that you need to understand which company FFP applies to. It does not apply to Reading FC (IIRC).

FFP loss is 11.75m, if I have found the correct figures in my super quick search.