Ngel Howe on radio

One87One

Re: Ngel Howe on radio

by One87One » 28 Apr 2020 14:19

This is what happens when you pay silly wages to players who wouldn't have otherwise come near us. The sooner we have a shake-up and ship out the players who are here for the wrong reasons the better. Get back to how we used to run this football club!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Apr 2020 22:09

Stranded
Nameless
paddy20
Hi Stranded - please explain about the losses. Don't the accounts say we lost about £40m? Add to this the losses for the last two seasons as well how can we be below the 39m limit for 3 seasons? Hope you are right about the FFP. Agree though it doesn't seem to matter as much now

Find the write up Star did on the accounts which explains it all pretty clearly,
First thing is that you need to understand which company FFP applies to. It does not apply to Reading FC (IIRC).

FFP loss is 11.75m, if I have found the correct figures in my super quick search.

Thanks Stranded could you let me have link Ta

JR

by JR » 28 Apr 2020 23:16

Hound is there a transcript of the interview anywhere?

Can listen to it on BBC Sounds if that helps.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2020 06:26

JR
Hound is there a transcript of the interview anywhere?

Can listen to it on BBC Sounds if that helps.

Thanks, will find it

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2020 08:55

Actually a decent interview. Howe doesn’t sound too happy with quite a few things - esp the players not agreeing a deferral to wages

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Apr 2020 09:01

I hope this doesn't mean we accept a £20million bid for Aluko, I hope we hold firm in that situation.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Apr 2020 10:40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08bq3ty Nigels interview for those who haven't heard it yet.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Apr 2020 13:29

The bit about selling Teddy so he didn’t feel conflicted is a kick in the teeth. Imagine if Middlesbrough had release Ben Gibson for the same reason, or if Maradona hadn’t called up Aguero when he was Argentina manager.

I’m not one of the Gunter haters but it’s hard to see where we’ll find a full back as good as Howe for as little money.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Apr 2020 13:44

Two points for me , we're lucky to have the owners we have at the moment , and two, the players not deferring their wages is a disgrace. Note the word defer, as if the £1000's they get every week for for doing absolutely nothing at this moment in time is not enough to make you sick in the stomach. Greed and selfish doesn't even come close.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 29 Apr 2020 14:05

Gunny Fishcake Two points for me , we're lucky to have the owners we have at the moment , and two, the players not deferring their wages is a disgrace. Note the word defer, as if the £1000's they get every week for for doing absolutely nothing at this moment in time is not enough to make you sick in the stomach. Greed and selfish doesn't even come close.

Bang on.Bloody greedy little shits. NHS staff risking their lives for peanuts and our players rake in thousands,
and in some cases tens of thousands a week.They need to take a reality check.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 29 Apr 2020 14:21

tee peg
Gunny Fishcake Two points for me , we're lucky to have the owners we have at the moment , and two, the players not deferring their wages is a disgrace. Note the word defer, as if the £1000's they get every week for for doing absolutely nothing at this moment in time is not enough to make you sick in the stomach. Greed and selfish doesn't even come close.

Bang on.Bloody greedy little shits. NHS staff risking their lives for peanuts and our players rake in thousands,
and in some cases tens of thousands a week.They need to take a reality check.

Dam well said sir, just not Cricket, but not surprised when you employ so many foreign mercenaries.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Apr 2020 14:26

Think they have to tomorrow to agree but isn't a good look when some other players agreed to a deferral almost immediately but our lot are still umming and arring about it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Apr 2020 14:27

paddy20
Stranded
Nameless
Find the write up Star did on the accounts which explains it all pretty clearly,
First thing is that you need to understand which company FFP applies to. It does not apply to Reading FC (IIRC).

FFP loss is 11.75m, if I have found the correct figures in my super quick search.

https://star-reading.org/news/2018-19-accounts-analysis

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2020 14:28

paddy20
Stranded
Nameless

https://star-reading.org/wp-content/upl ... -FINAL.pdf

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Apr 2020 14:35

Agree with the general sentiment towards the players. We are losing huge amounts of match day revenue. They are currently not having to work full pelt and are being asked to take a deferral. It really shouldn’t be a big issue.
They will lose a lot of goodwill if they are difficult over this.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2020 16:14

I would be amazed if the players en masse have refused to defer. It just doesn’t sound like the attitude we would etc from the likes of Moore, Meite , McLeary or Gunter. I would imagine there are a small number who are refusing and the aimis to get everyone on board. I wouldn’t speculate on who might be refusing because it would be unfair. You could see that a player at the end of their contract with no new deal in place might be reluctant to give up what might be their last pay day for quite a while. You would think this could be got round by just paying those contacts upnow.
Who knows. But I agree with the sentiment that this doesn’t look right and would backfire hugely. I would be reluctant to go and cheer players who appeared to be puttting personal interests ahead of the club.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 29 Apr 2020 17:35

Just goes further to prove the oxf*rd we have in the squad.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Apr 2020 17:36

Definitely wouldn’t rush to judgement. Historically we’ve employed a few players who used their wages to support charities in their home countries. We don’t know if perhaps one or two players are holding out because they think bleeding a couple of rich Chinese people and their rich British football club is justified if it stops some Kenyan schools from shutting down forever.

Obviously that is pure speculation but I find the moralising very strange. It’s not as if they’re hiding in hospital car parks and mugging the nurses for a living.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2020 18:13

yeah never like to judge too much- esp when it comes to what people do with their money

mind you, unlike Howe to publicly air his frustration about it - suspect it might be a case of one or two holding things up

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Apr 2020 18:56

Nameless
paddy20
Stranded

https://star-reading.org/wp-content/upl ... -FINAL.pdf

thanks stranded, really interesting article