Worst Reading games

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Worst Reading games

by URZZZZ » 29 Apr 2020 11:57

Old Man Andrews I'll nominate Reading 0 Blackburn Rovers 1 from 17th February 2015. Utter shite.

Presuming you mean Wigan here, agreed, was a truly dreadful game, think it was the one mentioned earlier where Chalobah played CB

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Apr 2020 11:58

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews I'll nominate Reading 0 Blackburn Rovers 1 from 17th February 2015. Utter shite.

Presuming you mean Wigan here, agreed, was a truly dreadful game, think it was the one mentioned earlier where Chalobah played CB

Sorry, Wigan. I knew it was some nondescript northern town.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Apr 2020 12:02

That awful game against Sheffield United a couple of seasons back where it was -9 degrees.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Apr 2020 12:09

Dulwich Royal Watford 0 Reading 0 in the Premier League in 2006 was bad

Didn’t we have a run of poor Watford games;with not much in the way of goals ?

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Apr 2020 12:11

Come to think of it my mate came to the Huddersfield play off final,and said it was the worst game he’d ever seen.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 29 Apr 2020 12:30

Westwood52 Come to think of it my mate came to the Huddersfield play off final,and said it was the worst game he’d ever seen.

I'd like to see it again just to check how bad it was. Even if we'd won the shoot-out I'd have felt appalled.

From what little I recall they had two (+?) easy chances early on and then basically nothing much happened. Swift had a shot, McCleary shot wide late on, game got more tense and turgid and ended 0-0. Agree it was the worst 'big' game I ever saw.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Apr 2020 13:19

Fox Talbot
Westwood52 Come to think of it my mate came to the Huddersfield play off final,and said it was the worst game he’d ever seen.

I'd like to see it again just to check how bad it was. Even if we'd won the shoot-out I'd have felt appalled.

From what little I recall they had two (+?) easy chances early on and then basically nothing much happened. Swift had a shot, McCleary shot wide late on, game got more tense and turgid and ended 0-0. Agree it was the worst 'big' game I ever saw.

It was really bad.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Apr 2020 13:24

That's a great shout.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Apr 2020 13:27

South Coast Royal
Fox Talbot

It was really bad.

Spot on. Two teams basically not wanting to lose. Utterly dreadful advert for football. Must rank as the worst play off final ever at Wembley.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 29 Apr 2020 13:46

Boxing Day 2003. 0-3 at home to Wimbledon.

Wimbledon were morphing into Franchise FC and were hated by their own fans, who'd started boycotting games. We surrendered 3-0 for the third game running. Fans were turning against Coppell and it wouldn't have been a surprise if Mr Mad had sacked him (he very possibly didn't because that very morning he'd splashed out £350k on a certain D Kitson).

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 29 Apr 2020 15:08

From Despair To Where? Reading 0 Chesterfield 0 in 88/89 or 89/90. A game so devoid of action, the highlight was Gary Phillips miscontrolling a backpass out for a corner.

Odd thought it may sound, I vividly remember that game for being so utterly bad.

If it was the same game I had in mind then you are right. My memory was it was played very close to the Preston game when we had our lowest ever crowd and it was an absolutely awful game... devoid of pretty much everything. Is that the same game?

My other choice would be the sleepfest play off final..!

But that Chesterfield game.............................. shocker

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 29 Apr 2020 15:12

Old Man Andrews That awful game against Sheffield United a couple of seasons back where it was -9 degrees.

No I have some good memories of that game. Came up from Exeter with some mates two of which were Sheff Utd fans. Drove through two blizzards to get there. Didn't think we'd make it.. Beer with a Bovril chaser pre-match.. Lovely... Even Omar scored...

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Apr 2020 16:10

Blackpool 1-1 Reading in April 15

Blackpool were all but down, we were resting players in preparation for the FA Cup semi, stadium pretty empty, no beer in the stadium

Also, they changed it from bank holiday monday to a Tuesday night for no known reason. A good couple of days up there with the lads but would’ve been a lot better if it was on the bank holiday, with more fans. Shocking game!

KentRoyal

by KentRoyal » 29 Apr 2020 18:31

Reading 0-3 Wigan has to be up there surely

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Apr 2020 18:32

Cape Town Royal
From Despair To Where? Reading 0 Chesterfield 0 in 88/89 or 89/90. A game so devoid of action, the highlight was Gary Phillips miscontrolling a backpass out for a corner.

Odd thought it may sound, I vividly remember that game for being so utterly bad.

If it was the same game I had in mind then you are right. My memory was it was played very close to the Preston game when we had our lowest ever crowd and it was an absolutely awful game... devoid of pretty much everything. Is that the same game?

The game I'm thinking of was the end of the 80's. Gary Phillips was definitely in goal and Wiki tells me he was with us 88/89. The Preston gamecyou referenced was 82 or 83.

Still, Chesterfield seems to be a recurring theme.

Bonzodog

by Bonzodog » 29 Apr 2020 19:54

From Despair To Where?
Cape Town Royal

The game I'm thinking of was the end of the 80's. Gary Phillips was definitely in goal and Wiki tells me he was with us 88/89. The Preston gamecyou referenced was 82 or 83.

Still, Chesterfield seems to be a recurring theme.

Another vote for the Reading v Chesterfield goalless borefest.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Apr 2020 21:15

I could probably nominate any game v Portsmouth in the 90s, but I'll go for a game v Leicester at the Mad Stad, where the only thing of note was Sonko being the first player to clear the ball out of the stadium.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 30 Apr 2020 09:55

I would also agree with that, Huddersfield in the Play Off Final.

Stam’s plan to neutralise the game and hope that we could nick something was nothing short of a disgrace, and when you consider that we had some half decent players in our team that day, it makes it even worse.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 30 Apr 2020 10:04

I'd throw in a couple of Blackpool games here

Firstly, away in about 1979, I think it may have been Boxing Day, 10 hour round coach trip to be 3-0 down in about 20 minutes, 4-0 at half time and finished 5-2. My first ever "why am I bothering?" moment

Secondly, 1-1 at home to Blackpool I think 99/00, Blackpool had lost about 9 on the trot, empty ground, late equaliser, bottom half of Division One, desperate

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 May 2020 13:04

Jerry St Clair Boxing Day 2003. 0-3 at home to Wimbledon.

Wimbledon were morphing into Franchise FC and were hated by their own fans, who'd started boycotting games. We surrendered 3-0 for the third game running. Fans were turning against Coppell and it wouldn't have been a surprise if Mr Mad had sacked him (he very possibly didn't because that very morning he'd splashed out £350k on a certain D Kitson).

Yes that was shocking . I think it was a kids for a quid game so a bigger than normal crowd. Despite a bad run we were still in with a play off shout, they were down the bottom.

I still chuckle to this day after the game BBCRB was inundated with calls and texts saying Coppell should be sacked......