Most underrated/"does a job" player for Reading?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Most underrated/"does a job" player for Reading?

by Hendo » 25 Jun 2020 09:59

From Despair To Where?
SCIAG Joey had a really good pass on him tbf. Quality player, once he got those first few bad performances out of his system.

VdB was a convenient scapegoat. For a cheap punt, he did all right.

+1 to that, I never, ever got the JvdB hate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2020 10:20

Hendo
From Despair To Where?
SCIAG Joey had a really good pass on him tbf. Quality player, once he got those first few bad performances out of his system.

+1

When you consider some of the wasters he played with!!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jun 2020 10:41

Hendo
From Despair To Where?

He was Dutch and a ball playing defensive midfielder, therefore the embodiment of Stam's philosophy.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Jun 2020 10:51

Anyone on here even attempting to defend the ability of Joey van den Berg has no idea of football whatsoever. Atrocious technically, even worse mentally with the composure of a drunk bloke having an argument in a pub. Probably the same level of grace as well. Not a footballer and his career progression proved that. I will never forget on the last day of the season at Cardiff where we needed to be at our most disciplined, that bloke haring around like Gazza, chopping people down and getting away with a blatant handball in the box.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jun 2020 11:20

His career progression proved what?

That he spent the bulk of his career in the Dutch top flight including 2 very comfortable mid table finishes with newly promoted clubs before moving to England in his 30s?. That would suggest a good career as a solid pro footballer at a decent level but granted, he's no Sone Aluko.

Not entirely sure what your point is, there John other than demonstrating a fundamental lack of basic knowledge.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2020 11:31

From Despair To Where? His career progression proved what?

That he spent the bulk of his career in the Dutch top flight including 2 very comfortable mid table finishes with newly promoted clubs before moving to England in his 30s?. That would suggest a good career as a solid pro footballer at a decent level but granted, he's no Sone Aluko.

Not entirely sure what your point is, there John other than demonstrating a fundamental lack of basic knowledge.

JS likes to get in every post how little everyone else knows and how superior he is whilst simultaneously knowing the square root of oxf*rd all.

anyone want that open goal?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Jun 2020 11:38

It's quite clear what my point is: he couldn't cut it at Reading so had to move to the second tier of Dutch football - a notoriously poor and inferior league. Whereas other players from that squad, e.g. Lewis Grabban have continued to forge a career at promotion chasing Championship clubs, van den Berg have to go back to Holland. I don't think he'd even have got a move to a National League club he was that bad.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jun 2020 11:44

Lewis Grabban was a loanee and younger. Again, what is your point?

We signed Van Den Berg as a cheap journeyman at a time when we had fcuk all money and had finished in the bottom 6 3 years running. He did alright.

Lewis Grabban cost Premier League Bournemouth £6m, has a record for us comparable to Joseph Mendes and has been slumming it in the Championship ever since.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 25 Jun 2020 13:28, edited 5 times in total.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 25 Jun 2020 11:46

From Despair To Where?
Hendo
From Despair To Where? VdB was a convenient scapegoat. For a cheap punt, he did all right.

He was Dutch and a ball playing defensive midfielder, therefore the embodiment of Stam's philosophy.

But so, so slow he would have made Charlie Adams look quick.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Jun 2020 12:50

I'm going to throw Jem Karacan into the mix....haven't read the whole topic so he might already be in it.....

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Jun 2020 14:07

6ft Kerplunk Mick Gooding.

This totally.

I don't think RFC fans ever appreciated fully what a great player he was. Even after another shit team performance post 95 you'd say "Gooding was ok though"

I don't think he ever put in a less than 7/10 performance and did pretty much everything he was asked to.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jun 2020 14:38

Gooding was an excellent player, but bit to be fair, a lot of fans did seem to acknowledge that. As you say though, always the last player you'd point the finger at after a poor team performance

Forty

by Forty » 25 Jun 2020 14:58

Has surely to be Tabb, but Newman's a decent shout.

As is Neil Smith....

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Jun 2020 12:21

Jay Tabb?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 02 Jul 2020 22:14

Hope Akpan?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 02 Jul 2020 22:39

John Smith

It's quite clear what my point is: he couldn't cut it at Reading so had to move to the second tier of Dutch football - a notoriously poor and inferior league. Whereas other players from that squad, e.g. Lewis Grabban have continued to forge a career at promotion chasing Championship clubs, van den Berg have to go back to Holland. I don't think he'd even have got a move to a National League club he was that bad.

Yes the same Dutch league where multiple premier league and lower league players have failed in.